[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had thoughts about this in the past, but was reminded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: cutwaway[1].jpg (36KB, 538x494px) Image search: [Google]
cutwaway[1].jpg
36KB, 538x494px
I've had thoughts about this in the past, but was reminded lately looking at a sort of xray of a working pistol: Magazine springs take up quite a lot of space even when fully compressed. What technology or techniques, if any, have been produced that might change how we normally create magazines so that we can have more capacity without the large spring taking up space at the bottom?

Imagine perhaps a pair of very stretchy but compact pieces of material pulling on both sides of the follower so that there is no spring beneath it, but it is instead pulled upward. I'm not saying that this material exists, but ideas like this one are what I'm getting at.

Are there any past or current efforts similar to this?
>>
>>31933373
Like a rubber band that would gum up the works when you only have a couple of rounds left?

I've heard of guys talking about trying to 3D print magazine bodies then use magnets to provide the force.
>>
>>31933373
Here's a very small example of a different style of magazine that I'm getting at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_CpGDHv6do

Seems this guy's idea never went anywhere, though, and it actually looks bulkier than just having a spring, but that sort of idea is interesting anyways.
>>
>>31933373
>What technology or techniques, if any, have been produced that might change how we normally create magazines so that we can have more capacity without the large spring taking up space at the bottom?
different followers
megar added basically +2 to double stack mags for the hipower,cz75,92fs,sig226 etc while keeping the same dimensions
>>
use a differently-shaped spring. springs come in a jillion different types.

i consider a torsion bar a spring, in this context.
>>
File: you get the idea.jpg (33KB, 481x670px) Image search: [Google]
you get the idea.jpg
33KB, 481x670px
>>
>>31933643
That's actually a neat idea. So you're proposing a set of coil springs that unwind as you press the follower down. So as rounds get stripped, the coil begins recoiling itself and pushing the follower up.
>>
>>31933675
Yes
>>
Its already been done. That's exactly how butler creek 10/22 mags work.
>>
>>31933840
My springs are under the follower
>>
>>31933840
So why don't we see that sort of design more often for other firearms?

I wonder if with larger rounds there is a reliability issue.

Or perhaps nobody has really tried it yet.
>>
>>31933869
Might be a patent thing?
>>
>>31933869
>Or perhaps nobody has really tried it yet.
Probably this, and I just gave away a million dollar idea.
>>
>>31933869
probably reliability, springs like that dont last super long and arent terribly powerful compared to coils
>>
>>31933498
That's because those designs had actual wasted space in the magazine
>>
File: lwp-and-bp-2012-nwtf.jpg (54KB, 450x383px) Image search: [Google]
lwp-and-bp-2012-nwtf.jpg
54KB, 450x383px
>>31933684
IM TRADING YOU A WIFE PIC FOR YOUR IDEA SLAPJACK NO TRADE BACKS
>>
>>31934548
I'll take her
>>
>>31933869
1. It's patented
2. It's terribly unreliable
3. It only works for small quantities of extremely lightweight rounds (such as 10 rounds of .22lr), the springs would have to be about 10x the size to work that way reliably with, say, 20 rounds of 115gr 9mm
>>
>>31933373
-If you made the follower and spring out of the same piece of metal somehow, you might save some space, but cost would increase.

-A flat spring or a thinner spring made out of springier steel might compress smaller.

-A top-loading, gravity-fed funnel, like on paintball guns, takes no spring space, but doesn't make much sense for cartridges that need to load directionally.

-Instead of a strong spring in the magazine, you might have a weak spring (or no spring), and then design the gun so the recoil of each shot ratchets the follower up to the next pre-set position to feed the next round, like the way some car seats work.
>>
>>31933643
How wide or long would such a magazine need to be? You have to fit the round in between the two wound springs at the top of the magazine.

This seems to also introduce an unnecessary level of complication. What happens when dirt gets in those coils? How easy are they to clean compared to traditional compression springs?
>>
>>31933869
They don't really work for the 10/22. Butler Creek mags are horribly unreliable.
>>
>>31933480
That's a 20 round mag size, and he's only firing ten. Nevermind the fragile bit of coat hanger wire sticking out beneath the magazine.
>>
>>31933373
In a handgun, I think compression springs might be the best compromise between reliability, cost, and capacity. Improvements in technology and design have allowed an increase in the 1911 from 7 to 8 rounds.

If you move to rifles, the opportunities expand. The FN PS90 still uses compression springs, but places the magazine in a way that greater capacity does not limit mobility.

Eventually, we get to a question of weight. How much ammo weight do you want to carry on a firearm? 30 rounds of 5.7x28 is one thing, but 30 rounds of .308 is something else.
>>
>>31933373

anti-grav unit on all the bullets to pack more in the mag

its so simple its fucking elementery
>>
>>31936249
Instead of a strong spring in the magazine, you might have a weak spring (or no spring), and then design the gun so the recoil of each shot ratchets the follower up to the next pre-set position to feed the next round, like the way some car seats work

This sounds like it could be promising, but it does add complexity.
>>
>>31936253
Have a coil on either side of bullet, would probably be the size of a doublestack mag.
>>
>>31936492
Let's say these coils are a bit lower to facilitate feeding. How much capacity is lost from the coils compared to compression?
>>
>>31933373
On the topic of magazine spring alternatives, the LSAT documentations mentions"Weapon Powered Magazines" but I can't actually find any detail on them

Are they just short belts with a fancy name, or are they actually something new?
>>
>>31936253
Standard size

>>31936492
Coils are under the follower, not beside it

>>31936642
zero
>>
>>31933447

magnets sound viable
>>
>>31936819
ratchet elevator system
makes for relatively expensive mags tho
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.