[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was working on these three weapons: -Mauser 1914 pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

File: Spring.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Spring.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
So I was working on these three weapons:
-Mauser 1914 pistol
-Arisaka Type 38 rifle
-Unidentified Harrington & Richardson single barrel shotgun

The problem (pic related) is what I found when I thought I was finished working. Where the hell could this spring be from?

I found exploded views of the Mauser and Arisaka and I took them completely apart. I checked all the spring locations from the exploded views:

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/mauser11.jpg
and
http://66.media.tumblr.com/413749e7d2ed958730321218c0a15bcc/tumblr_ndk1zh6MqT1rcoy9ro1_500h.jpg

As far as I understand all the springs are there.

Could the spring be from the shotgun? If so then from where? The shotgun seems to work too! And it cannot be from an old project. It has to be from one of these three guns.

I will post a picture of the shotgun next if someone can help me recognize it so I could try to find an exploded view of it.

I cannot take the shotgun completely apart since I don't have a punch enough small. But the spring bugs me too much. I need to know where it came from.
>>
File: Shotgun.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Shotgun.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Here is the shotgun. I went through my trash can but I couldn't find any other missing parts.

So the question is where the hell did that spring come from?

All the springs seem to be in place in the Mauser and Arisaka. The Harrington & RIchardson works too (cannot take it apart) so where did the spring come from?

When I started to clean up after my firearm maintenance I noticed the spring on top of my rag pile. I worked all three guns simultaneously.
>>
>>31933274
If i had to guess, it looks like the firing pin spring for the shotgun. Otherwise an extractor spring from the pistol, because the Arisaka doesn't have one.
>>
File: A.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
A.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>31933358

Thanks for your input.

Here are some closeups of the shotgun.
>>
File: B.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
B.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>31933495

I don't see any place for this spring to go or any way to attach it to anything.
>>
File: C.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
C.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>31933511
>>
File: A.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
A.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I marked the firing pin.
>>
>>31933511
with the hammer back push on the pin to see if it still has spring tension. If it does I bet it's the sear spring form the Arisaka, or from one of the guns little sight or sling ferrules
>>
File: B.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
B.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>
File: C.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
C.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>
>>31933572

The hammer one the shotgun stays back when pulled back.

When I pull the trigger the hammer goes down.

The firing pin moves freely though. It moves front and back when I tilt the gun around accordingly.

Can you point out the spring in this picture if you suspect that it is from the Arisaka?
>>
>>31933652
>The firing pin moves freely though. It moves front and back when I tilt the gun around accordingly.
that may be it. The later examples of those shotguns have a sprung firing pin. Do you know the date of production, or the letter code before the serial number?
>>
>>31933723

I have no idea about the date of production. Where is the serial and letter code supposed to be? Let me check if I find numbers and letters on it.
>>
It says "AT FEB 2?&27 190?"

Last number might be 3. That would be 1903 then. Can that be correct?

It seems to say PAT MAY 14 1901 under it.
>>
>>31933804
Assuming that's the serial, it should have a firing pin spring. AT is the 1979 date code- they started with the sprung design sometime in the early 60's. Since it rattles around, that'd be where it goes.
>>
>>31933859

Thank you /k/omrade.

Now I only wonder how the hell will I get it back and how the hell did it come off in the first place? I only did some routine cleaning to it. I didn't even take it apart!
>>
Can someone explain me the differenxt between "firing pin spring" function and "sprung design"?
>>
File: Untitled.png (135KB, 461x304px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
135KB, 461x304px
>>31933888
If you didn't take the retaining pin out, that may not be where it goes. Fuckers are in there good, it takes effort to remove it that much.
Sure you have the sear spring on the Arisaka? If you don't the trigger will be floppy
>>
File: 2007%20SKS%20Firing%20Pin.jpg (43KB, 512x169px) Image search: [Google]
2007%20SKS%20Firing%20Pin.jpg
43KB, 512x169px
>>31933929
Well as I'm sure you know, the firing pin can be either back, or forward. When it's forward, it can detonate a primer. The problem is in "free floating" firing pin designs, there is no spring- the firing pin can get lodged forward and cause slamfires and out of battery detonation.
In a sprung design, there is constant pressure against the pin to move back- not enough to prevent the hammer from pushing it forward, but enough to prevent slamfire in most situations.
>>
File: Arisaka.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Arisaka.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>31933942

The trigger is actually kinda floppy... But I only took it apart after I noticed the extra spring that appeared on my work bench.

Here is a picture of the Arisaka. That is the spring right there?
>>
>>31934022

To me the shotgun design seems to be "free floating".
>>
Unbelivable. The spring has to have a place somewhere. God damn it.
>>
>>31933859

Where did you check that info?
>>
>>31934564
against this, assuming it's accuracy
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?242383-Harrington-amp-Richardson-date-codes
>>
>>31934585

Thank you.
>>
What is the model of that shotgun?
>>
Bump for help.
>>
OK. How do I take the shotgun apart and what do I need?

What is a good punch set to hit those taps out of the frame?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.