[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /k's opinion on body armor? Steel vs Ceramic vs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (8KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 224x224px
What is /k's opinion on body armor?

Steel vs Ceramic vs etc etc?

Looking to pick up some plates and a carrier in the coming weeks. Ideally looking for Level IV..It will be just to have and use if ever required. Yes I plan to train and workout in whatever I purchase.

I have read the pros and cons to each, but wanted the opinion of fellow /kommandos
>>
Bump for interest. I'm in the market myself. Seems like everybody likes to choose ceramic over steel from what I've read
>>
I believe Bulletsafe is the best deal on the market right now. Not sure what the best carrier is currently. Shellback Banshees used to be pretty good but I understand the quality has been reduced of late.
>>
>>31931811
Also interesting in responses. Looking at the SKD Slick carrier for no frills cheapness or the Mayflower APC with Hesco Lvl IV plates cause buy once cry once. What say you?
>>
>>31933760
I just mentioned those in the PC thread. I've heard that too, I got mine a few years ago and it's been holding up great so far and it was cheaper than what they are now
>>
>>31933896

I have an older one myself, Is perty good.
>>
>>31933941
Hell yea, I just got a LBX armatus 2 in today, I haven't gotten home to check it out yet. Asked some anons about it a few days ago before I ordered it, they said it was airshit tier, but I think spending $400+ on a PC is a little much. Then again I'm not abusing the shit out of mine so I don't mind something a little cheaper. For $250 im sure it's completely fine and will hold up just as good as the banshee
>>
File: penetration.jpg (2MB, 918x1630px) Image search: [Google]
penetration.jpg
2MB, 918x1630px
Reminder that steel will get you killed
>>
>>31931811

Ceramic>steel w/anti-spall coating>that plastic shit>nothing

Alumina Oxide ceramic plates are cheap but a little heavier. Boron Carbide is lighter, it's the shit the military SAPI plates are made of, but more expensive and a little thicker so it sticks out from your chest a little more. If you're not a weak, light-weight faggot then the weight difference is negligible (about 4 lbs total with both plates for level 4). Yeah, that weight makes a difference, especially if you're walking several miles with it, but it's several hundred more dollars per plate. So if you're on a budget, but not TOO broke, then you can get some level 4 srand-alone alumina oxide ceramic plates and a decent plate carrier and call it a day. Don't get some bullshit Condor plate carrier that will fall apart on you after about 100 hours of wearing it.

Steel is better than nothing, but I don't trust that anti-spall coating to keep shrapnel from flYing into your face and arms. If you're really broke then go ahead and grab it, I guess.
>>
>>31933732
Having worn and been active in both, I actually prefer steel for its thinness. And I've never felt that steel in hinderingly heavy. An issued Eagle PC with SAPIs vs my personal minimalist PC with steel, my personal is lighter and thinner. Maybe obviously?
>>
>>31934102

My workout/backup PC is a Blackhawk lo-vis with AR-500 plates. It's heavy but not prohibitively so and it conceals neatly under a sweater or light jacket.
>>
>>31934102
Hey if it holds up just as well while reducing weight and bulkyness, why not? I'd rather be more mobile and have more dexterity than something super bulky and hard to move in
>>
>>31934060
So will lead and copper
>>
Has anyone ever made their own ballistic plates? Or is that just a shitty meme?
>>
>>31934052
haha... hahahahhahah-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH. You could have gotten the real deal for $200. Idiot. Return that overpriced airshit and buy a real plate carrier on Black Friday.
>>
>>31937168
What exactly is "the real deal for $200?"
>>
It's cool and all, but it will sit in my closet after I wear it once and will never be pulled out ever again so that's why I'm never going to buy any.

In a HD scenario, I'm not going to have enough time to grab my gun and don armor either.
>>
What's /k/'s opinion on patriot armor? The video I saw showed their anti Spall coating working really well.
>>
>>31940135
they test for nij 101.08 that does not include Back face deformation. There "nij testing"is questionable at best. Not even joking.
>>
File: mayflower.jpg (246KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
mayflower.jpg
246KB, 532x800px
>>31939849
Pic related is an example, and there are many legit plate carriers under $200 that he could have bought.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.