[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about buying an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 before Hillary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 17

File: LE6920.png (89KB, 700x244px) Image search: [Google]
LE6920.png
89KB, 700x244px
Thinking about buying an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 before Hillary gets elected and bans assault weapons / takes us to war with ourselves since there is an abundance of 5.56 ammo all over the place such as in military bases and it won't be hard to find during the apocalypse. Also M855 green tip "AP" rounds are an interesting little loophole I'd like to stock up on for such an event. Would get the AK if not for these two facts, so...

Thinking about the Colt LE6920 since Colt has manufactured AR-15's/M4's for the US Army for quite some time and that makes them sort of legit in my eyes. But I have a couple points I'd like to discuss with the knowledgeable and skilled population of 4chan:

> Is DI supreme?
> Is chrome lined barrel supreme?
> 1:7 twist supreme?

I have done some reading and I've found that the 1: 7 twist suits this caliber well, though reviews are quite mixed - science anyone? Also, I hear chrome lined is best for durability but negatively affects accuracy. Is this going to be a real problem for urban warfare? Also I hear DI is a little high-maitenance. I just need a weapon that's utilitarian - something that's easy to find rounds for and can take a little damage. Something at least 16" too...

tl;dr

Should I but a Colt LE6920? Why not? What do you recommend? Where am I? What is this place?
>>
>>31925741
http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf556-anodized/

This is cheaper and isn't filled with a bunch of parts that you're going to toss as soon as it makes sense to. Direct impingement is fine as long as you keep it lubricated and can go indefinitely between cleaning if you do.

Chrome lined barrels are shit unless full auto matters. Nitride is more than enough for corrosion resistance and will last as long as chrome lined for semi auto use with more precision on average.

1:7 twist is good for 77 grain and similar. It might not be ideal for 55 grain but usually everything at that weight isn't that accurate to begin with.
>>
>>31925741
http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf556-anodized/

This is cheaper and isn't filled with a bunch of parts that you're going to toss as soon as it makes sense to. Direct impingement is fine as long as you keep it lubricated and can go indefinitely between cleaning if you do.

Chrome lined barrels are shit unless full auto matters. Nitride is more than enough for corrosion resistance and will last as long as chrome lined for semi auto use with more precision on average.

1:7 twist is good for 77 grain and similar. It might not be ideal for 55 grain but usually everything at that weight isn't that accurate to begin with.
>>
>>31925741
DI is supreme. If you want piston get a gun designed around a piston.

Chrome line is important in areas where corrosion is likely. If your chamber gets pitted, your rifle's reliability will suffer. However, CL barrels vary in accuracy relative to other types of treating/untreated. Nitride/melonite seems to be the new in thing that accomplishes the same resistance while limiting corrosion

1:7 twist was chosen by the military to stabilize M856 tracers in artic conditions. 1 in 8 .223 wylde is supreme for more common civi bullets

also m855 is a shit round and not armor piercing at all. It's AP requirement is to penetrate a soviet helmet at 800 meters.

build your own AR. It is retarded monkeys capable easy and you will probably save money.
>>
>>31925741
>M855 green tip "AP" rounds are an interesting little loophole
There is no loophole. The only good thing about m855 is its price. Its garbage at piercing armor any better than literally any other rifle round and garbage at actually killing things. The ATF had absolutely no authority in attempting to ban it.
The AK market is garbage right now. All that's available are Century and IO piles of flaming garbage.
Colt lost the mil contract to FN a while ago.
DI is king for the AR, its what it was designed for.
If the barrel isn't chrome lined it's probably nitrided, as far as i know they're about the same quality
1 in 7 is fine, unless you're varmint hunting or shooting matches twist isnt super important unless it's 1 in 12 or some shit which is still usable.
LE6920 is good to go.
>>
>>31925741
M855 is not a loophole. They are ball ammunition designed for barrier penetration, and will easily be stopped by NIJ lvl 3 body armor.
>>
File: Not OC.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Not OC.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>>31925755
>>31925773
>>31925764
>>31925795

I thank you for the input. I want to be very capable of shooting center mass or more precisely at well over 500m, does the chrome lining and twist really affect shot groups that much?

What would be the ideal grain and twist to look for in general? Like, if I were to build my own. Where would I even begin with that anyway?

I just wanted some M855 for their general penetration ability - the same reason I keep a spare mag of 9mm FMJ in my glove compartment in case I get into some traffic business. What would be the superior killer? Not like there's much difference between all of this - I'm just a try hard when it comes to survival/killing.

Much appreciate
>>
>>31925818
Chrome lining affects accuracy to the extent that if you spend a lot of money on a nice barrel you're realistically going to get about 1 MOA precision out of one. Nitride barrels can easily be 0.5 MOA at a similar price. If your only goal is to have man size accuracy then this is irrelevant and even a 3 MOA barrel is more than sufficient.
>>
Direct impingement is easier to maintain the rifle and less parts to fail or find if you were to run a piston system AR-15. Just replace the gas tube and your done.

the current twist rate on the Ar-15 barrel are 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7. 1:9 is the slowest and 1:7 is the fastest. It really depends on the use of the rifle, the distance and what kind of bullet weight your shooting. If you were shooting a 55 grain bullet in a 1:9 twist it's find but if you were to shoot it out of a 1:7 it will most likely tumble in flight and will not hit your target. Both 1:8 and 1:7 require heavy bullets, at lest a 69gr and up.

also you have to think about the chambering of the barrel, 5.56, .223, or the .223 Wylde. Both 556 and .223 Wylde can take both rounds but the .223 is meant for the .223 if you put in a 556 round in it... it will blow up in your face since the 556 is a bit higher pressure then the .223 counter part.
>>
>>31925834

Is it really irrelevant? Several inches seems like a lot to me when it comes to some long range combat...

>>31925868

I want to get something chambered in 556 NATO

What is the best 5.56 load for stopping a target?
>>
>>31925868
The fuck are you talking about? I shoot m193 55gr out of my 1:7 all the time and I land my hits all the time and there's no sign of tumble.
>>
>>31925928
>What is the best 5.56 load for stopping a target?
Hornady 75gr TAP
>>
File: IMG_2511.jpg (68KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2511.jpg
68KB, 400x250px
>>31925940
WRONG
>>
File: Windham Weaponry AR15 1675.jpg (207KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
Windham Weaponry AR15 1675.jpg
207KB, 1152x768px
>>31925741
>http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf556-anodized/
>>
>>31925936

OP here, currently reading up on this, leaning towards 1:7 at the moment as well as the M855 still despite the comments.

>>31925940

Does a 1:7 really restrict you to larger grains?

This is a nice round, at least it looks like it. I appreciate the name, TAP.

Reminds me of the phrase "double tap"

>>31925953

What makes this better than the M855? With all characteristics considered of course.

>>31925958

That pic you posted doesn't match the pic in the link you commented...

---

I'm the type of guy who carries 147g Speer Gold Dot in his Gen 4 Glock 19, by the way... Go on, roast if you must.
>>
>>31925957
>What makes this better than the M855? With all characteristics considered of course.
>>
>>31925968
You're a fucking idiot. How do you even compare FBIt3 with m855? Just kill yourself
>>
>>31925928
A body is huge. You will probably be the primary factor in missing, not the rifle. Most red dots are 2 or 3 MOA in size for perspective. The US military does just fine with 4x ACOGs out to about 400 meters with 2-3 MOA M4s. If they need to reach out to 600 meters reliably expect to spend a lot more money on a good barrel, trigger, and 77 grain OTM.
>>
>>31925989

What is a "good barrel, trigger"?

The heavier grain rounds seem to be the more appealing ones for 5.56...

Still taking suggestions for supreme loads
>>
File: Top Munch.jpg (25KB, 209x222px) Image search: [Google]
Top Munch.jpg
25KB, 209x222px
>>31925985

Well, for starters they are both 62 grain...

Why don't you just answer the question for me since you have gained so much knowledge by killing countless enemies with this round in the field. I could really use some objective input and not just some Tom shillery.
>>
>>31926005
Black Hills’ MK 262 Mod 1 is the best 556 load

For a civilian it's xm556fbit3 >>31925957
>>
>>31926021
Why is it so hard to type the round name in google or YouTube and see the results for yourself. It's pretty praised and had better performance than the hornady tap in a lot of tests
>>
>>31926005
A good barrel usually comes with an accuracy guarantee. A company like Ballistic Advantage will guarantee that their barrels are sub MOA. They don't sell a single barrel that is chrome lined so this is relatively easy for them.

Other companies specialize in match grade barrels like Lothar Walther, Krieger, White Oak Armament, Bartlein, Douglas, and Lilja. A friend of mine is actually building a recce precision AR15 with a Lothar Walther barrel nitrided by Integrity Arms and most range reports show 0.5 MOA with good ammo.

A good trigger is going to be something like a proper match trigger from RRA, LaRue MBT-2S, KAC 2 stage, or Geissele SSA. Alternatively a very nice single stage trigger like Geissele SD-3G.

If you really want the best AR15 for your use you're going to want to build your own. The lower is easy to assemble yourself. If you don't want to build an upper you can send the parts to ADCO and they will assemble it for you for 50 dollars or something similar. If you bide your time you can easily get everything on sale and save a lot of money.
>>
File: 1476404181060.jpg (38KB, 508x370px) Image search: [Google]
1476404181060.jpg
38KB, 508x370px
>>31925741

1.) Yes.
2.) Yes.
3.) Yes.

Happy hog hunting!
>>
>>31926024

So I should load MK 262 in a 1:7 twist semi-auto or xm556fbit3? I don't understand the contrast you're trying to make, what's being a civi have to do with it? We are all men here.

>>31926027

I certainly will do some further reading before buying a weapon and ammo to use, just want to hear some experience and such.

The MK 262 also seems like a nice round, for example.

And can anyone confirm this about the MK 262?

>Used primarily by all branches of the United State military

Where da troops at?

>>31926040

I want to build my own but I know nothing about building or where to get the best parts, or what are the best parts even...

PS: Read original post, I need a rifle before the apocalypse... :/

>>31926049

Who is this...
>>
>>31925741
The NRA promised me Obama would ban salty rifles and it never happened. They said donations would help stave off the boogeyman. So just use that money to donate to the NRA
>>
>>31926062
MK 262 Mod 1 isn't available for civilians, I just listed it because you asked for supreme loads and it's the best 556 load there is

Xm556fbit3 is the best round that is available to civilians though
>>
>>31926074
Black Hills makes and sells some Mk262 for us plebians, not sure about the Mod 1 tho.
>>
>>31926068

No.

>>31926074

Gotchya, what about this tho?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1339912049/black-hills-ammunition-556x45mm-nato-77-grain-sierra-matchking-hollow-point

Is the OTM vastly sub-par? To where it's sub fbit3?

>>31926085
>>
>>31926062
Just buy the LF556 if you don't want to think too hard. Get the RRA 2 stage trigger and it should be more than accurate enough and serve you well. I almost haven't seen any negative reviews of the company thus far.

I know it sounds like I'm shilling but if you do some research their specs are legit and the price is pretty much identical to what it would cost if you built your own.
>>
Xm556fbit3 looking like a nice round, starting to fall out of love with the M855. Will it shoot well in a 1:7 twist, though? What would be the optimal twist for that grain amount?
>>
>>31926108
Twist is not nearly as big a deal as you think it is. 1:7 is fine.
>>
>>31926107

You're alright guy, will surely do some research. I just like to stay close to LE and military style weapons, which is why I've been leaning towards a Colt - which is why I own a Glock, too.

>>31926113

Thanks m8, I just don't want to die desu. All imput appreciated anons
>>
File: desu.jpg (6KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
desu.jpg
6KB, 277x182px
What is OTM? Does this marking really make it a poor round for combat opposed to the other heavier grains?
>>
>>31926150
OTM stands for open tip match. It's extremely effective in self defense. Hornady 75 grain TAP is an OTM round but they give up some accuracy for better stopping power. 77 or 69 grain OTM is more focused on accuracy but still very effective.
>>
>>31926127
I promise you the apocalypse isn't going to come any time soon. The world will continue to turn. There's nothing wrong with being prepared but it is far more likely that you will shoot a meth head breaking into your house at night than anything else.
>>
File: laughinggirls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>31925741
>since there is an abundance of 5.56 ammo all over the place such as in military bases and it won't be hard to find during the apocalypse

>mfw /k/ babbies envision themselves raiding military bases for supplies post apocalypse ala DayZ
>implying you wouldn't be killed in the first wave with one $0.20 bullet
>>
File: m8.jpg (50KB, 400x505px) Image search: [Google]
m8.jpg
50KB, 400x505px
>>31926182

Hmm so I'm thinking of getting the LE6920 that I've had my eye on and running some of those pic related through it. I'm sure the increased weight will prove useful for penetration, which will help with my attachment issues to the M855. Of course experiment with some fbit3's. There are just too many options out there... I need to start narrowing somewhere.

>>31926196

That would suck, especially considering that meth head would probably be one of my own family members.

>>31926215

You nigger, the abundance will surely be a benefit during wartime/apocalypse. Dead soldiers and abandoned military vehicles would be an excellent source of ammunition in a pinch, soldiers don't just sit in their forts and wait for bad guys/reptilians to attack - they often patrol and run operations.

And you don't always have to fight your way into a fort to access some surplus on some renegade shit, if shit really hit the fan I'm sure soldiers will accept the assistance of American militia and riflemen. It would be nice to have a Colt at this time too, for compatibility reasons. You see where I'm going with this?

>implying your tank wouldn't be destroyed by a $1.56 molotov cocktail

>implying I haven't already built an intricate underground tunnel system entirely on my own and only known by myself that leads under every major government building and base within a 100 mile radius
>>
>>31926251
>>implying your tank wouldn't be destroyed by a $1.56 molotov cocktail
haha what
like anyone will get close enough to get it into the hatch
IED's on the other hand...
>>
>>31926196
This. Riots and the occasional blackout/hurricane chimpout for sure, but not the apocalypse. If you're not living in the country on self-sustaining land during that you're fucked anyway
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>31926272

You've obviously never played videogames.

Put enough fire on a tank and it will die.

The men inside do need to breathe...

>>31926276

For sure
>>
File: Me in this thread.png (25KB, 535x555px) Image search: [Google]
Me in this thread.png
25KB, 535x555px
Well this was an enlightening thread, I appreciate all the replies gentlemen.
>>
>>31925818

>I want to be very capable of shooting center mass at well over 500m

maybe you should start asking about what optics you should use because youre not going to be doing that with irons.

Lets be honest, youre not going to be doing any of this irl anyway.
>>
>>31926312
>maybe you should start asking about what optics you should use because youre not going to be doing that with irons.

Noguns spotted. Never heard of irons only shooting competitions?
>>
>>31926312

What's a realistic irons max range? Honestly I don't really like much optics, I don't plan on carrying a sniper and an assault rifle simutaneous like I'm master cheif - so if I must combat some sort of scope I guess I'm just fucked. Hence why I'm trying to optimize my assault rifle knowledge and gear for a more general use because yes, I will not likely be in these situations but I do have a gun and want more guns.

What do you want from me, anon? Just humor me damn it.
>>
>>31926338

Ironsights master race confirmed
>>
>>31926338
Yes, you can shoot known targets at known distance. Try spotting them.

It is fucking difficult to spot something past 100 yards if it's trying to stay hidden and you don't know where to look. Magnified optics are a massive advantage, the US military adopted ACOGs for a reason.
>>
>>31926297
that would take like 8 molotovs, not one. Including a few chucked underneath
also
>videogames
>>
>>31926344
>implying you need to spot to hit something at 500m

Seriously, just go, you already lost
>>
File: MODS MODS MODS.jpg (16KB, 236x270px) Image search: [Google]
MODS MODS MODS.jpg
16KB, 236x270px
This is now a modification thread.

>2016
>not sniping with your 5.56
>>
>>31926340
500m is honestly about the maximum effective range of an AR15 assuming 16" barrel. Optic or not, that isn't going to change.
>>
>>31926340
Iron sights are realistically only viable for self defense use within 100 yards optimistically. If you want to max out your viable range you want a 1-6x24mm optic. Something like the Burris XTR2 1-5x is a solid choice.
>>
>>31926358

I don't know man... That feels a little skimpy and it is honestly scaring me a bit.

You're telling me you can't hit someone with iron sights on an AR in a football fields distance optimistically?

I guess I should just skip the AR and get a 30-06 rifle or some shit. You just opened up a whole new can of worms you ass hole.

>>31926353

This sounds about right, from what I've gathered on forum conversations so far. Hah.

Maybe I will consider optics one day... Let's start with the basics.
>>
>>31926370
People who never bothered to practice on irons think optics somehow improve the accuracy of the rifle. That's just not how it works. Of course optics can help the shooter, espcially if you have poor eyesight to begin with, but they don't change how the round comes out of the barrel.
>>
>>31925741
Why the fuck are you just now doing this, the day before the fucking election?
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (29KB, 360x221px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
29KB, 360x221px
>>31926386

Definitely just want a well rounded assault weapon for home defense / possible civil unrest. Been iron sights my entire life, maybe if I get super dank with my first AR I'll try to push it with some optics one day.

>>31926392

:(

Because fuck you, anon.
>>
>>31926370
I think the important part to mention here is not that you can't hit a target with iron sights, but actually seeing the target. Even at 100 yards if people are walking behind brush it can be difficult to see them well enough.

It's no big deal to hit a man size target with iron sights at 500 meters. Doing so at 100 meters is absolutely trivial and if you can't do a double tap to the chest you need to practice more. But trying to get a bead on someone at 500 meters that is behind brush and trees or similar cover is fucking hard. And at 500 meters you're not going to be spotting your hits much at all. There's a reason why the vast majority of combat takes place under 300 meters.
>>
>>31926406

Shit, so comeon guys throw me some good optics recommendations before this daddy 404s

Some 3-5x sounds nice, I guess...
>>
>>31926386
This is definitely bullshit. If you've ever shot with notch and post sights you would know that it's damn near impossible to consistently keep the sights aligned and on a 1 MOA target. Aperture sights are a lot better in this regard but if teeny tiny groups are what matter it's common to see diopter sights.
>>
>>31926404
No, fuck YOU. Where the fuck were you months ago? Did you just find out were having an election or something?

I don't having time to read the whole thread to see if this has already been said, but go buy a stripped lower. That's the only part actually considered a gun, the rest of the parts you can ship to your door. Youre almost guaranteed to get raped price wise if you run into a gun store literally the day before an election.

Do you even have any ammo for it? Mags? Those are things you should have stocked up on months ago.
>>
File: 500 behind brush.jpg (13KB, 238x267px) Image search: [Google]
500 behind brush.jpg
13KB, 238x267px
>>31926406
>>
>>31926417

Shit nigger maybe I was waiting for my bonus in November before I dropped $1000 on a new weapon.

It's okay, I will ride out the apocalypse with my Glock as many have done before. Obviously I will be able to slay and gather weapons at my leisure...
>>
>>31926431

cont.

And maybe I didn't consider Hillary a reality until my dumbass roomate started yammering during the debates, and I now see a Hillary letter on the fridge with instructions on how to vote in my area.

Yes, my roomate is a male.
>>
>>31926431
The point I was making is at any time over the last year you could have bought a lower for less than $100 including transfer fees, then bought the rest of the parts over time as you had the money. PSA has plenty of cheap parts that are good quality. Now instead of shopping around for deals on parts you actually want, you're stuck with whatevers on what you buy, and paying extra for the pony rollmark.

If you have a Glock and want an ar buy this now, it expires in a few hours.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ten-10-ar-15-m4-gen-2-30rd-pmags-one-magpul-d-60-drum-mag-ten-10-ets-31rd-9mm-glock-18-mags.html
>>
>>31926445
No, he's a cuckwad.
>>
>>31926413
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-3x-compact-prism-scope-w-the-patented-acss-5-56-reticle-pac3x-acss-5-56

I dunno if I would trust my life to this but Primary Arms is solid quality in general. 3x is about right for a general purpose optic. Check inrangetv for their thoughts on this. Atibal and Vortex both make similar prism scopes.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

If you want a variable power optic. It's more expensive but not by much.

If you want something comparable in quality to what the military would use expect to spend a shit load of money.
>>
>>31926458
Aren't those glock mags shit though? Still seems like a good deal though.
>>
>>31926469
They've worked fine for me and YouTube reviews on them I've seen have all been good. If nothing else just sell them to someone. The pmags and D60 are almost worth the price alone.
>>
File: wew.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
7KB, 225x225px
>>31926458

Right, maybe I'll just do that and build one up over time... But I'll pass on the impulsive buy, thanks anyways though.

>>31926462

MFW he literally dates a pornstar

http://www.xvideos.com/profiles/harmonie-marquise

>>31926464

Thank you
>>
Does anyone have a good AR build guide?

I really need a walkthrough so I can focus on more important studies
>>
>>31925755

Ive read so many articles on chrome versus melonite and Ive never seen in put more simply than that. Every article says they have the nearly the same life but the melonite will likely be more accurate but never simply states that chrome is better for mag dumping
>>
File: 1478353013486.jpg (68KB, 454x767px) Image search: [Google]
1478353013486.jpg
68KB, 454x767px
>>31926338

Stop being poor, fag
>>
File: 1478359866524.jpg (43KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1478359866524.jpg
43KB, 344x344px
>>31926406

This 100%, you wont have a guy standing out in the open. It'll be a little bit of their head sticking up, which you wont even be able to see looking through your irons (the sight post will cover it).

Yes there are people with purpose built iron sight rifles that have very fine sight posts that can hit targets reliably at long distances but it takes longer to aim and you'll still do better with glass if you spend an equal amount of time practicing. Plus with no zoom you lose some of your spotting ability.

The very cheapest mid range scope Id suggest for an AR is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 but make sure you dont cheap out on the mounts either.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.