[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is boxing /k/ related or should I be asking /sp/ about how t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Is boxing /k/ related or should I be asking /sp/ about how to get into it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8n9qVIK_8
>>
>>31914394
3 amateur fights boxer here.
Will answer what I can.
Also have experience in a few PKBs (point kickboxing) and light familiarity with rolling.
>>
>>31914424
Best way to take a punch to the face/head?
>>
>>31914424
I don't know of any trainers or gyms in my small town, what can a guy do to train on his own? How much equipment do I need to buy and how much is just nice to have? How soon should I be sparring against a real partner?

Does wrapping your wrists work well for keeping them from getting injured if they're not as sturdy as you want them to be?
>>
>>31914449
Learn to slip/swim and don't.
If not, just see it coming and/or try and catch it with your forehead if you think you're a hard ass.
>>
>>31914468
>I don't know of any trainers or gyms in my small town,
Search around, you'd be surprised.
>what can a guy do to train on his own?
Not a lot other than basic fitness relevant to boxing/fighting sports and bag work. Shadow boxing, jump roping, bag work, etc.
If you have a buddy you can get mits and train together, which is probably the best thing. There are lots of youtube videos you can watch and mimic, but at the same time you may learn a lot of bad habits and have slow progress without an actual coach overseeing you.
>How much equipment do I need to buy and how much is just nice to have?
Few pairs of 180" wraps, 16oz gloves, mouth guard. If you don't have access to a bag or someone to hold mits, that too.
>How soon should I be sparring against a real partner?
I would say as soon as you get basic footwork down and can throw punches correctly and combos without flailing.
I started sparring my second or third week I think, but to be honest I had access to a whole gym and a very good instructor and other people who had good control.
>Does wrapping your wrists work well for keeping them from getting injured if they're not as sturdy as you want them to be?
Yes. Watch youtube videos, you'll learn methods. Emphasis on reinforcing the wrist/forearm about 3-4" up, thumb lock, and a few trips around the knuckles is my advice.
>>
>>31914538
Thanks a lot anon, I had to wait almost a whole year for my wrist to heal from not wrapping it and hitting too hard early on when I was giving Muay Thai a go in my last town. Hoping to not repeat that.
>>
I wouldn't say that boxing is /k/ since its pretty much just straight up punching, whereas a /k/ fighting style would be "How can you fuck someone up as fast as possible by doing anything?"
>>
>>31914560
>for my wrist to heal from not wrapping it
The importance of learning to wrap your wrists right is critical, and although I am biased, I believe boxers are the only ones who actually do it right.
KB/MT/MMA guys often skip stuff like thumb locking for clinch and grappling and don't pad their knuckles as much because, in all honesty, they usually don't know how to punch hard.
I've seen those guys get wrist/thumb injuries and popped knuckles more than anybody else.
>and hitting too hard early on
The issue is technique, not hitting too hard, don't take offense but your punches are probably very weak until you really spend time learning the mechanics.
>when I was giving Muay Thai a go in my last town.
MT dudes are notorious for chewing up people's legs and slicing people if they spar elbows, but to be honest they're also notorious for having garbage boxing skills.
>>
>>31914449
Fucking don't if you're not in a ring.
The gloves and wrapping is to protect your hands from damage.
>>
>>31914424
Awesome. You're better man than i. No fights, yet. I want to prove to my self I can do it. Kickboxing and jui jitsu.
>>
>>31914870
>You're better man than i.
Not really, it's just a sport/hobby like anything else, you don't have anything to prove. Push yourself to do the best you can, but make sure you enjoy it and don't measure yourself by it.

Best of luck with your jits, brah. It's the one thing I've always shied away from simply because it makes me nervous from all the injuries I've seen and also because I cannot stand having people smothering me.
>>
>>31914394

Currently starting fight training and conditioning.

>Learning BJJ, Muay Thai, Jeet Kun-Do, with a light mix of Gung Fu, American Boxing, Chinese boxing, and good old fashioned wrestling and Sambo.

>>31914449

Best way to take a punch to the head, is not to. Avoid at all costs if possible. Always block, tuck your chin into the well of your neck and raise whatever arm is in the way of the punch into a tight V-shaped shield covering your temple with your elbow. Your ear should be exposed, to compensate for this, also make sure you're twisting at your waist and use your hips to move yourself out of the way.

>>31914468
If you want to train on your own, use some research to find some good reputable names in whatever art you want to study. If Muay Thai, look for names like Ajahn Suchart, and then check out their YouTube channels.

You can then grab some light weights, 5-10 lbs, and shadowbox with them. Literally hold them, stand in boxing stance, bouncing on the balls of your feet and "dancing", and punch the air. DO IT FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN, AS MANY TIMES AS YOU CAN. Fights aren't always quick. Sometimes they can last a while, and can involve multiple targets. Your fat ass needs conditioning and cardio. This builds both. Also arm strength. Don't go rambo and do it with 20+ lb weights without first hitting he gym. You will only hurt yourself. Believe me, it happened to me.

Wrapping your wrists are for when you're punching bags or people. Also good for wearing under gloves, so your sweat doesn't make them all gross.

There's an art to wrapping just right, not to tight to turning your fingers blue, and not too loose to fall off. Ideally, what you're looking for is sufficient padding on the impacting knuckles, good wrist support, and enough freedom for your fingers to open and close and form a natural fist without your fingertips feeling cramped.
>>
>>31914913
Thanks. I do have fun but my goal is to teach and I'll be honest I feel like I need to prove I'm worth it to have that title someday.

The injuries in jui jitsu can be bad but its why you gotta find a good school and like minded people. I have no bad stories. Some close calls when I was new but you learn safety and get safety drilled In your head. I have put off my blue belt test because I don't feel ready but I guess now it's not blue belt its like combatives belt. They video tape you...lol. talk about nervous.
>>
File: gtfooh.jpg (49KB, 590x555px) Image search: [Google]
gtfooh.jpg
49KB, 590x555px
Instead of "getting into" kickboxing,
you should work on "getting out" of your parents' basement.
>>
>>31914449
If you HAVE to take one to the head try and make it hit your forehead and don't get stiff. Rigidity is how you get knocked out. More surface are plus more sway means less ability for your brain to rattle.
>>
File: Baki_Hanma_(Part_I).png (178KB, 490x360px) Image search: [Google]
Baki_Hanma_(Part_I).png
178KB, 490x360px
>>31914394

"Having a glove on. No kicks. No combos. No throwing. No finishing moves.

For these reasons, a boxer is a joke to a real grappler."
>>
>>31915290
Not always. I see a lot of my fellow jui jitsu guys and wrestlers I know have a habbit of having their hands down.
>>
>>31915290
>no combos
>no finishing moves
not true
>>
>>31914628
>The issue is technique, not hitting too hard, don't take offense but your punches are probably very weak until you really spend time learning the mechanics.
No offense taken, you are correct. I meant only that my sparring partner told me to ease up on the power and focus on technique... and I didn't.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.