[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/, First time poster here. Only really came here because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_0934.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0934.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hi /k/, First time poster here. Only really came here because /pol/ told me to. I swore on a bible that I would buy a gun before the next election and well... today is the day. I have a budget of $1600 and I have all day. I hear ammo is low around here but my friends said not to worry about that because they have plenty.

What should I get, my friends keep telling me things but its all so confusing and their is so many choices. I live in Texas though and my friends say I can walk in with cash and walk out with a pretty much anything except over the top stuff. I'm just looking for a rifle to be honest.

Once again, what should I get?

Pic kinda related, I was going to buy the top one last week but chickened out and told myself "next week".
>>
File: 1462331548258.jpg (558KB, 2932x1607px) Image search: [Google]
1462331548258.jpg
558KB, 2932x1607px
>>31911853
/pol/ is really good at giving advice.

Do you really want a gun, or is this just going to sit in a closet and gather dust while the race war never happens?
>>
HURR DURR BUILD YOUR OWN ARR

Really though an AR15 is a good choice.
If you have 1600$ just go into a gunstore and buy whatever the fuck looks cool you'll never use it anyway.
>>
>>31911872

I live in Dallas, its really bad here and when I was 17 I was robbed walking back to my apartment. Ever since I have had a crippling fear of guns and it was only recently that I have been opening up. I told my friends I would buy a rifle before the next election because they gave me this talk about how it was a civil liberty that my ancestors died for.

But I don't really know. I made a promise to my friends and I don't break promises.

I just want to come back and not find out that I got a piece of trash, any red flags to look out for. I was told to ask if it was "Mil Spec". But I am not entirely sure what to look for. Their's just too many.
>>
File: 692.gif (486KB, 238x155px) Image search: [Google]
692.gif
486KB, 238x155px
>>31911905
>But I don't really know. I made a promise to my friends and I don't break promises.
>>
>>31911853
my first rifle was a Colt LE 6920. I've had no regrets on grabbing that one. I've also built two other rifles, and have 5 lowers sitting at the bottom of nearest lake.

> Get an AR now before Hilldebeast makes them gone

If you go with an AR. Make sure the buffer tube is mil-spec dimensions and that the bolt carrier group and barrel are magnetic particle inspected. Parkerizing and chrome lining on the barrel help with corrosion resistance. Other than that, I look at the upper/lower for any visible casting and finishing defects. Also be mindful of the front sight. If you want a folding front sight, make sure to get a rifle with a low profile gas block already installed. Standard A2 front sights are pinned in place, and best left alone.

Stocks, grips, triggers can be easily replaced or upgraded later on.
>>
>>31911905
It's a hard time to learn about guns and all the miss information your friends are full of. I say it's a hard time because you're rushing to buy something without probably knowing what you like or really need.

Clinton will become our next president...I'm that pessimistic asshole. With that said, she will enact a second ban. With 1600 bucks you have enough to buy a gun, mags, and as much ammo as you can. I worked for a firearms manufacturer so here's my thought...

Order a stag arms ar15. If you don't want to assemble something your self, or feel ok doing it yet, I advocate stag. No I didn't work for them I just pay attention to things and I feel their qc over all is the best. Their finish can be shit, their parts can have scratches, and their staking is meh. But this is most brands, and spending over 1000 on an ar is bullshit. Most of these guns are made with 450 bucks or less.

Whatever you decide, you need mags and ammo. Magpul makes great mags and for aluminum mags Brownells makes great ones.

For ammo I'd buy m855 green tip. Their not some amazing thing but for conflict, its the ball ammo our military uses and will have a greater chance of penetrating lesser quality body armor at closer ranges.
>>
In all seriousness though get an AR, Daniel Defense makes some noice rifles for the money

It's all about ammo availability so anything in 9mm or 5.56 will be your best bet
>>
>>31911853
"build" an AR
>PSA complete lower
>complete upper (not PSA) of your choice. MI is worth checking out
>take the two halves and push pins through them (with thumbs, no tools req'd) to assemble
>take the leftover dosh and get a solid red dot (holosun hs503g), mags, and ammo
>>
>>31911853
Get a DD. I got mine under $1100 so should leave you cash for ammo.
>>
File: Daniel:Noveske AR's.jpg (144KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel:Noveske AR's.jpg
144KB, 640x640px
>>31911853
For $1,600 you can get a pretty sweet rifle. You really can't go wrong with anything by Daniel Defense, BCM, LWRC, Barrett, LMT, Sig Sauer, FNH, PWS, Noveske, or higher end Colt.

I personally recommend something with a low profile gas block, mid-length or rifle-length gas system, full-auto profile bolt carrier with a MPI/HPT bolt and a 4150 steel barrel, either chrome-lined or melonited/nitrided or 410 or 416R stainless steel. All that may seem like gibberish, but if you stick to those manufacturers and go to a good shop they'll be able to help you out.

Lastly, good on you for getting a gun. But the important part is learning how to use it proficiently. You can learn a lot by doing research on your own, but if you want a good starting point consider taking a rifle/carbine course. This is by no means a prerequisite to becoming a good shooter, but there are plenty of great options in the Dallas/Fort Worth area or within 1-2hrs driving distance. Happy Hunting!
>>
>tfw live in NY and there are no high end ARs here that are compliant, only mp15s

>tfw there are no good threadless barrels anywhere

Fuck it. I'm making a fixed magazine AR. I can just take the fucking maglock out when obama declares martial law.
>>
File: 555 come on now.jpg (78KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
555 come on now.jpg
78KB, 338x305px
>>31912198
>Get a Stag
>Their QC is the best
>their staking is shit
>their finish can be shit
>spending over $1,000 on an AR is bullshit

You are contradicting your own argument.

>I pay attention to things
Clearly you don't
>>
File: Q.jpg (79KB, 1024x1207px) Image search: [Google]
Q.jpg
79KB, 1024x1207px
>>31912248
>complete upper (not PSA) of your choice. MI is worth checking out

no OP here, but I'm not familiar with ARs. Why the negative on PSA uppers? I've been looking at their stuff and from an initial inspection and reviews online it seems okay.
>>
Buy a .45 ACP Hi-Point Carbine.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Hi-Point-4595TS-FGFL-LAZ-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=913517
>>
>>31912394
Fag.
>>
>>31912396
If you get an upper from PSA just get one of the Hammer-Forged barrel versions. PSA sources the barrels they use on these from FN and they are fantastic for the $$. This is the only assembled upper option from them I'd readily recommend. The barrel, bolt, and carrier are the heart of any AR rifle, it pays not to cut corners on those parts.
>>
File: human garbage.jpg (9KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
human garbage.jpg
9KB, 250x222px
>>31912423
Oh boy, you really got me good.
>>
>>31912435
Just an internet warrior. Fuck you faggot. Its just words.
>>
File: Image4.jpg (98KB, 960x665px) Image search: [Google]
Image4.jpg
98KB, 960x665px
>>31911853
If you've never used a gun before, you want a bare bones rifle. Ignore anyone that tells you to get an optic or any of that shit. When you are a first time shooter, iron sights are hugely helpful because it helps you to hold it properly and get a good sight picture

For your price range, I'd say spend $1000 on the rifle itself, and spend the rest on ammo and range days to turn yourself into a good shooter (don't just buy $600 of ammo and let it sit, if you're going to buy a gun, actually shoot it as often as you can to get yourself proficient). As a first time shooter, you aren't going to shoot any better with a $1600 rifle than with a $1000 one. But if you want to be future proofed and you intend to shoot a lot, then get a $1600 one.

I'd suggest a bare bones Colt, since they tend to be quite good quality out of the box (stocks can be a little crappy but the rest should be fine).

Also, make sure you go to a good store when you buy it. Most will just try and convince you to buy the most expensive one, but some will actually take the time to give you solid advice. (use google reviews or ask your friends if there is a good one nearby)

>>31912324
This guys advice is good too.
>>
File: 1478235801665.jpg (1MB, 1667x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1478235801665.jpg
1MB, 1667x2500px
>>31911853
If you have $1,600, don't know much about guns, and want to avoid the ban, I'd suggest getting three completed lowers.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers/complete-lowers.html

($200 each, so $600)

Spend the rest on one complete upper ($500), ten mags ($100-$120), and a thousand rounds of green-tip 5.56 ($250).

$600+$500+$120+$250 = $1470

Expect to spend the rest on shipping and FFL fees, and maybe go a little bit over if your state has over the top sales tax (we don't have one at all in OR) or high FFL fees.

You might as well start a stockpile and have the option to finish your build if you're worried about potential future bans.
>>
>>31911905
Holy shit if you live in dallas good luck.shits tough here.unless you dont mind going to sunnyvale or fortworth you wont find shit.even if you do prices are steadily rising.the last gunshow in mesquite has some pretty good deals though.anderson lowers 50 bucks a pop
>>
>>31912396
I wouldt buy shit from psa after that credit card shit.and their customer service is horrid.if you get a fucked up product enjoy the ride.since you got some decent money on your hands buy a anderson lower,a build kit ,bcg and buy a bcm complete upper.that should be around 900 dollars but you will have a nice ar.
>>
>>31912478
>and a thousand rounds of green-tip 5.56 ($250).

Where the fuck are you getting M855 for 25cpr?
>>
Tell them gun store you want an m&p 15 sport 2 and a ruger lcp 2. Now you have a rifle and a small handgun for conceal carry/ self defense.

Buy ammo for each and begin practicing/ take some gun safety courses.

Total will be under 1600 and youll have two decent quality guns that your friends will respect.
>>
Buying the AR15 is only the first step. You need to be able to use it effectively. Don't think of it as fun, of course it CAN be fun, but you should train with it. Take some reputable classes.

Shooting a gun on a range is shit-tier for preparation. You need to be able to move and manipulate under stress.
>>
>>31912812
This. Get ass deep in brass. And don't forget the mundane stuff like a comfortable sling and a cleaning kit.
>>
>>31912444
so you get called out for multiple contradictions and thats how you reel?

Does your stag AR hide well under your trenchcoat?
>>
>>31912198
>Stag
>Magpul
>Aluminum mags
>M855

Good job, your post could convince anyone that doesn't know much about AR's, and even some people that do. 9/10 solid bait
>>
File: IMG_1006.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1006.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Back, stores closed and I bought something on impulse, luckily my friends say I got a good deal but I want to know what you guys think.

Ruger 5.56/223

"Mil Spec"

3 Mag Pull 30rd Magazines

About 200 Rounds of Range Ammo and 30 for Home Defense.

In the end I spent around $800

So let me know, did I get fisted?
>>
File: IMG_1009.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1009.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31913982

2/?
>>
File: IMG_1010.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1010.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31913982

3/3

Let me know
>>
>>31913982
>did I get fisted?
Not really. It's a decent value, but you should use some of the leftover cash on :
-a better trigger
-making it free float (which requires a new barrel nut, the hand guard, a new gas block)
-a quality barrel
-a better muzzle brake
-reloading equipment
Don't worry, everyone does this, they buy a whole AR just to switch out half the components. It's wasteful, but you can't expect people to know the AR market well before buying their first one.

That 55gr American Eagle isn't super accurate, around 3 MOA on my precision barrel. Don't be disappointed if your groups aren't super tight, it's most likely the ammo's fault.
>>
>>31912761
This. Best I did was find it at .27 and that was months ago.
>>
>>31912761
>>31914293
Dick's had a sale a few weeks ago where xm855 was 37ยข/rd
>>
>>31914262
Not OP but a new ARfag who's been shooting AmEagle black box.

What about it makes it inaccurate? And what ammo would you recommend?
>>
>>31913982
You did fine on everything except for the optic. Get rid of that Sightmark trash. Stay with either iron sights or invest in an Aimpoint. The ACO is good; the PRO is better; a Micro (any version) is best. Make sure it has a 2 MOA dot.

>>31914262
Don't bother upgrading quite yet. It won't get you much at all. The parts aren't going to disappear unless Clinton magically enacts martial law, in which case training time is over.

>A better trigger
Geissele is great, as is CMC and Timney and a dozen others, but a single-stage trigger is just fine. Practice and improve your technique.
>Making it free float
Improving accuracy by 0.5 MOA means 1/8th inch at 25 yards. It's a waste for close-range. It's really for tuning the rifle at long range (>300 yards) after you've figured out your best loads.
>Quality barrel
Ruger's barrels are decent. Probably 2 MOA with average ammo. Might get 1 MOA with top quality stuff. Replace your barrel only after you've worn it out. (5K to 20K rounds, depending on what you shoot out of it.)
>Better muzzle brake
This is a waste really. AR-15's have very little recoil. The only thing a brake might buy you is less muzzle rise. Again, not a big deal yet. If you had an AR in .308 Winchester, I'd definitely recommend a good brake as a first or second priority.
>Reloading equipment
Handloading is not for the feint of heart. Save your brass right now and consider reloading equipment when you have a few ammo cans full of spent brass.

I'd set priorities like this:
>Return the Sightmark and order an Aimpoint ACO, PRO, or Micro H-1 with mount.
>Load up on ammo and magazines. Get another 2 to 7 magazines (Magpul PMAG M3, Lancer L5, or even just cheap D&H's with Magpul followers). Focus on getting a lot of ammo--about 1K round for practice/plinking and the rest for hunting/target shooting.
>>
>>31914385
>What about it makes it inaccurate?
Inexpensive factory loads aren't accurate because they use bulk manufactured bullets that aren't made to very high standards. Loading is usually consistent, but bullet seating and overall bullet quality aren't.
They're fine for plinking and shooting minute-of-man, but if you're interested in precision (varmint , or long range), you'll want better (and heavier) bullets.
>>
>>31914500
>Practice and improve your technique.
It's harder for a beginner to practice on a mil spec, which is pretty heavy. A lighter trigger will get you the proper fundamentals without having your index forcing its way through the pull.
>>31914500
>It's a waste for close-range. It's really for tuning the rifle at long range (>300 yards) after you've figured out your best loads.
It also means less constraints on the barrel.
>>31914500
>This is a waste really. AR-15's have very little recoil. The only thing a brake might buy you is less muzzle rise.
Which means easier recoil control, and better follow up shots. If you want to use an AR for combat, you want to reduce muzzle rise as much as possible. Plus, good muzzle brakes really aren't expensive.
>Handloading is not for the feint of heart. Save your brass right now and consider reloading equipment when you have a few ammo cans full of spent brass.
Black Friday is coming up. If some stores are offering good deals on reloading equipment, now is definitely the time.
>>
Get a decent/cheap AR like the S&W M&P 15 Sport II, then get a decent pistol that you can conceal like a Glock 19, and then spend the rest of the $300 or whatever on ammo and you're set.
>>
>>31911853
Get a handgun. They're the most versatile. Good for home defense and you can carry it if you want to.

FN, H&K, S&W, and CZ all make good handguns in your price range. Dont get a glock, you'll shoot your leg out.
>>
>>31914385
Most surplus ammo copying M855 (ie: 62gr FMJ) is pretty crappy. Expect 3 MOA at best. M193 (ie: 55gr FMJ) is a little better--more like 2 MOA out of a match grade rifle. Steel-case ammo (Wolf, Tulammo, Barnal) is about 3 MOA as well.

Your rifle will like different loads based on how it resonates shooting. Think of it like tuning an instrument. The sound it makes depends on how the strings are tensioned and how worn the instrument is. Factory loads are varied--and you should try many different loads to find the most accurate rounds that are also reliable. Optimally, figure out your best practice ammo, hunting ammo, and long-range ammo. Zero for one and load up on it. Handloading lets you tune your rifle yourself for better performance and tighter tolerances than factory ammo. Don't expect to do it in a day. If you get to the range daily and reload daily, you might be able to do it within a couple weeks. You'll also need a rest and preferably a way to measure velocity.

>>31914594
>mil-spec
Mil-spec is just fine. A lighter trigger can help but the biggest portions is not jerking it, not anticipating the shot/sound/recoil, and not whining about a gritty feel. If our military can teach on milspec single-stage triggers, then I'm sure OP can learn too. Further, qualifying as Marksman is fairly basic and quite attainable. OP--you might consider taking an Appleseed course to learn the basics of marksmanship.
>free float
Slightly less constrain on the barrel. At close ranges, even 1 MOA is tiny. It's far more important to shoot well first. A basic rifle with a good shooter will outperform an expensive rifle with a novice shooter.
>muzzle brake
Muzzle brakes are mainly about recoil. AR's don't have flip so much as they have a little rise. Lining up sight picture is far more important than learning to shoot quickly. Save it for 3-gun or long range where the added control actually helps.
>Hand loading
It's still playing with explosives & propellants.
>>
>>31914500
I agree with everything this anon says, bar one thing: go ahead & spend $60 on a better trigger.

The ALG Defense brand ACT is a good trigger at a good value, and will help you learn the fundamentals, without being a gucci-tier "pimp my AR" part in a beginner-class rifle.
>>
>>31914809
> seconded for ALG ACT
>>
>>31911853
LWRC
Daniel Defense
KAC
Colt

Only one of those.
>>
Just buy a milsurp SKS and a bunch of 7.62x39
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.