[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i got adhesive residue on my gun. will this clean it up without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: MEK-gallon-GME71-1500.jpg (295KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
MEK-gallon-GME71-1500.jpg
295KB, 1500x1500px
i got adhesive residue on my gun. will this clean it up without fucking up the paint? or go with acetone?
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (21KB, 242x387px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.jpg
21KB, 242x387px
use a mixture of bleach and ammonia then drink it when you're done.

seriously, how stupid are you? do you forget to breathe sometimes?
>>
Piss on it. I'm serious.
>>
File: Bubbles1.jpg (33KB, 500x636px) Image search: [Google]
Bubbles1.jpg
33KB, 500x636px
>>31907319
Is...is it cum? A cum gun.
>>
File: IMG_2818.jpg (131KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2818.jpg
131KB, 400x400px
>>31907319
Do not use that shit on your weapon. They use MEK in the aviation industry as a solvent, the stuff will take off aviation paint and primer, and is carcenogenic as fuck. Try- alcohol, GooGone (kek), FNPR, diesel fuel, or dab a little Naptha on it.
>>31907356
>being a fucking douche because hey may not legit know the answer to a legit question
Oh, you're one of those assholes.
>>
>>31907319
>>31907959
Remember to use nylon brushes too, very lightly though. Like you caress your waifu pillow, OP.
>>
>>31907319

Warm soapy water.

You'd be surprised what that and a little bit of paper towel can do.
>>
>>31907319
MEK cleans up everything. I'd never heard of it til I started working in a paint manufacturing plant, but now I practically bathe in the stuff all day.

The smell grows on you too, it's not like acetone, it's almost sweater.
>>
>>31907319
MEK will strip the finish off your stock. It will also soften certain plastics (ie. most of them).

MEK is handy to have- if you've ever broken ABS plastic parts, it can cement them back together. It also works wonderfully on polystyrene.
>>
File: wd420.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
wd420.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Tiny bit of WD40, be sure to wipe it off. Apply it to a rag and don't let it touch any wooden parts.
>>
>>31907319
Properly solvent cleaning is much easier with MEK than acetone.

The idea of solvent cleaning correctly is to wet wipe, then dry wipe before the solvent flashes off. If you don't, the wet wipe just re-distributes the crap you're trying to clean off.

They behave similarly, both being ketones, but MEK doesn't flash off as fast.

Not sure it's better for your application, I doubt the paint is solvent-resistant and both acetone and MEK are pretty aggressive solvents.

The other thing is that you should have a ziplock bag to immediately throw both wet and dry wipes into, you shouldn't be breathing any more of that shit than you have to.

MEK will almost immediately dissolve/compromise even nitrile gloves; in the aerospace industry we use silver shield gloves.
>>
Pic related
/thread
>>
File: 1368248499894.jpg (48KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1368248499894.jpg
48KB, 640x360px
>>31907959
That feel when I get soaked with that stuff every day at work.

Also, It will not take off paint and primer as easily as you say. At least the paints we use. DS-108 eats paint a lot better and Acetone will etch paint.
>>
>>31908317
This.

They give you guys those silver shield gloves? We just get nitrile and latex. It took alodine eating though my nitrile glove before the company would even think about getting a better one. Sadly it is too cumbersome for everyday stuff.

Although MEK flashes off pretty fast too. If you can get your hands on DS-108 it is a lot better. It takes a few minutes for it to flash off at room temperature. If you really soak it and then scrub with a cloth, you can pull up paint.

Plus, it is bio-friendly.
>>
I got vibratite vc3 all over my gas block and barrel cause I just dipped it into the setscrew and now I have to remove it. That's why I need to clean it off.
>>
paint thinner good for cleaning off excess locktite and rocksett without fucking the finish?
>>
Water
Alcohol
Mineral spirits
Naphtha
MEK
Lacquer thinner
Acetone
Toluene
Xylene

In that order....Really depends on type of glue and type of surface it's on
>>
>>31910792

VC3 is an acrylic polymer

Use mek or laquer thinner. Methylene chloride stripper would work in a pinch
>>
>>31907959
They've pretty much stopped using MEK in aviation where possible because of just how bad it is for you. Shit's cash if you want to clean parts or strip back paint for retouching.

>>31907319
Just use hot water with some dish washing detergent
>>
>>31907959
>They use MEK in the aviation industry as a solvent, the stuff will take off aviation paint and primer,

MEK (or MPK mostly now) is routinely used for cleaning primed surfaces, it won't take an epoxy primer - yellow or green from strontium chromate - off. They're specifically qualified for solvent resistance.

A mixture of methylene chloride + phenol (turco) is used for stripping organic finishes, but even that has a lot of trouble with the epoxy primers.

>>31911738
There are still some things - like removing silicone residue - that MEK does better than MPK. For critical applications (cleaning prior to pouring levelling compound, for example) we use even nastier stuff, like blended solvents containing toluene.
>>
>>31907319

Chemically, they're both near-identical.

That means that they will either both work well as a solvent for your particular type of adhesive, or neither will be particularly good.

It really depends on what type of adhesive you've been using. Let me know, and I can try to work it out for you - Give my Chemistry degree something to do.
>>
>>31911622

Para, Ortho, or Meta Xylene?

(I'm being sarcastic here, because there's no set order to use, but w/e).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.