[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of my interests is the use of 'antique' or obsolete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: addc90ef80b121be291ef429a66529b8.jpg (267KB, 1033x836px) Image search: [Google]
addc90ef80b121be291ef429a66529b8.jpg
267KB, 1033x836px
One of my interests is the use of 'antique' or obsolete (For the period/style of warfare) weaponry or vehicles.

Of most interest is the use of strange improvisations (Elephant guns as AT RIfles at Montecassino) or weapons not being used for their intended purpose (The fight between a US Destroyer and a U-Boat where the US crew threw ammo boxes at the Germans).

Not quite so interested in WW2/Cold War Surplus turning up in the ME/Africa as that is almost a given these days.

More interested in forces using what they have out of desperation/neccessity, rather than just because they are less advanced technologically.

Do you have any good examples?
>>
Here is an example I found while researching:

>muzzle loading civil war muskets were still inventoried in the USA and provided to Kachin(Burma) locals for use in guerilla operations. Apparently, black powder was easily sourced locally. I believe they were provided by OSS teams.

>Colonel Carl Eifler, first commander of OSS Detachment 101 wired Washington to send him 500 shotguns as the Kachins he was training preferred shotguns over the machine guns they were being trained on.

Eifler's memoirs indicate as follows:

>"They said it was an unusual request," recalled Eifler, "and could I justify it?" Annoyed, Eifler wired back sarcastically , "I prefer muzzle-loaders. The natives can make their own black powder and use the nuts and bolts from wrecked vehicles for ammunition." For some reason, that request was not deemed unusual, and Eifler was sent 500 Springfield muzzle-loaders that had never been fired but had been carefully stored, gathering dust, in a warehose since the Civil War. The Kachins took an immediate liking to the muzzle-loaders and carried them throughout the Burma campaign.
>>
>>31900177

Full article:

http://www.cbi-history.com/part_vi_101_oss-3.html
>>
>>31900177
Sarcasm gains you muzzleloaders

fucking brilliant.

This thread seems like it will be interesting.

I like that nuggets are still being used over it Ukraine
>>
>>31900263
He really wasn't be that sarcastic, he had good reasons for requesting otherwise anachronistic weapons, explained this Washington, and they were able to dig up some civil war surplus for him.

Nuggets are fine for snipers and marksmen if they are in good condition.
>>
File: Estonian Mk V 1940.jpg (136KB, 1899x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Estonian Mk V 1940.jpg
136KB, 1899x1122px
This is a British tank from 1918

Destroyed in Estonia in 1940
>>
>>31900434
>Ask for shotguns
>Get muskets
He learned a valuable lesson about acting like a prat that day.
>>
>>31900434
Aren't the Finnish still using Nuggets in marksmen roles? I have to imagine that they're getting phased out soon though.
>>
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/522df79269bedd270e22b6ab/north-korea-shows-off-marching-cheering-tractor-pulling-prowess-with-gigantic-65th-anniversary-parade.jpg
>>
File: 220px-Deganiatank1.jpg (12KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Deganiatank1.jpg
12KB, 220x165px
Syrian Renault R-35 knocked out during the Israeli War of Independence in 1948.
>>
File: 20150307095935.jpg (132KB, 480x331px) Image search: [Google]
20150307095935.jpg
132KB, 480x331px
T-34/85 with sheet metal spaced armor from the Yugoslav Wars in the 90's.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
44KB, 480x360px
WWII era German howitzer used by Syrian rebels in the ongoing civil war
>>
>>31901252
That's not too bad considering the israelis used ww2 equipment
>>
>>31901264
It's not metal, it's thick industrial rubber.
>>
>>31901324
They used more "modern" WWII equipment though such as Panzer IV's and Shermans as well as ex-Nazi BF109's.
>>
>>31900434
The article says he was being sarcastic.
>>
>>31901336
Whatever. It still protects glorious tank from Kebab RPG's.
>>
>>31901344
Yes, and there was great advancement in weapons technology during ww2. However a 13 year old tank is not really exceptional for a relatively backwards military.
>>
>>31901344
I seriously doubt it, my dear dong dangling dude.
>>
>>31900171
It's like their faces are copypastad. Bongistan is one hell of a drug.
>>
>>31901171

Correct. Finns (and their southern brothers, the Estonians) still use Mosins as sharpshooter rifles.
>>
File: 800px-M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg (107KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
800px-M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg
107KB, 800x565px
>>31901373
not him, but the Israelis did use seemingly anachronistic equipment during a lot of their conflicts in the middle of the cold war. Usually they would be modified or upgunned in some manner to keep them competitive.

Pictured here is an M51 tank, sometimes called an Isherman or Super Sherman (though never by the israelis that actually fielded it.) that was used during the Six Day War.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.