[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here from Maine? Is Maine a gun-friendly state? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: alaska flag.jpg (14KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
alaska flag.jpg
14KB, 800x565px
Anyone here from Maine? Is Maine a gun-friendly state?

I'm a merchant mariner, and I make a very good salary. I really want to move to Alaska and live there, but I've heard the cost of living is high as fuck. I could buy like 100 acres in rural Maine, with oceanfront property, and have all of the things I ever wanted. But it's not Alaska, and their flag is gay as fuck, and I don't know if their state legislature is gun-friendly and I also don't know if the people themselves are gun-friendly.

Whereas with Alaska, I could afford maybe 50 acres of waterfront property, but probably nowhere near as nice of a house because it costs so much more to build in Alaska, and also the house has to be super insulated, and heating oil is expensive as fuck up there. So I probably wouldn't be able to have all the nice things I like. Oh, and the groceries are expensive as fuck. I'm from Indiana so I'm used to construction, groceries, electricity, etc being cheap as fuck.

Not to mention in Maine I could easily get electricity and decent internet and stuff even in the rural parts, not necessarily so in Alaska.

Can any Alaskans and Mainers weigh in on this? From the Alaskans I mainly want to know if the cost of building and owning a home is really as outrageous as everyone makes it seem, and from the Mainers I'd like to know if the gun laws are good and also if the people themselves aren't all limp wristed libcucks.
>>
File: Alaskan Sunrise 1968 Ford.jpg (483KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Alaskan Sunrise 1968 Ford.jpg
483KB, 1632x1224px
>>31862295

Look in the Kenai or Soldotna area. Beautiful homes on massive lots can be bought very affordably. The problem is you're in bumfuck nowhere. The closer you get to Anchorage the more expensive it gets.

Soldotna is small but still has most of the modern amenities you might be used to. The biggest negatives being a few hour drive to Anchorage and having to deal with the massive influx of tourists during the Spring and Summer.

Building a home up here isn't actually that bad. Lots of my buddies have recently had homes built and ended up being cheaper than buying complete. Cost of living as far as food and utilities is concerned isn't too bad either. Definitely more expensive but generally higher wages makes up for it anyway.
>>
>>31862373
The problem is I'm a merchant mariner. We get paid pretty handsomely (usually about $10,000/month at sea, with several months paid vacation a year, good healthcare and other benefits), but it doesn't increase based on where you live. So while that $100,000 a year might go pretty far in Indiana, it goes much less further in Alaska.

Preferably I wanted to live in the Passage, near Sitka and Juneau, because I like the maritime climate there. But from what I've seen, the Fed owns most of the land out there so its hard finding a suitable plot of land.

The Kenai peninsula also looks nice, the weather can get into the 70s and 80s during summer even, and I'd be close enough to civilization to be able to get certain things when I need them.

I also found a plot of land for sale on Lake Iliamna, about 100 acres, for like $150,000 or something, which is within my budget for land. But then that's pretty remote and it's iffy if I could get electricity from a company, or utilities like cable, internet, etc.

So I guess really I don't mind the expensive groceries and heating, especially since I won't be home like 6-8 months out of the year. Really I'm just wary of moving there because I'm not sure if I could afford the house I want up there, whereas I could afford it down here. It's not very big or anything, just 2,200 sqft. But I want it to be nice, you know?
>>
>>31862295
Maine has constitutional carry, but Southern Maine is always trying to make the whole state cucked.

Where are you trying to buy?
>>
>>31862424
It would be pretty far north, not sure where exactly. I've seen lots of land for sale, usually between 30-80 acres and usually $70,000-$150,000. Oceanfront property, too, with plenty of hunting land. One of them even had a small lake, a creek, old-growth forest and ocean frontage on a sheltered bay, all on the same property, which is pretty much perfect. I could build my house, workshop, boathouse, and even a hunting cottage.

But yeah that's what I'm worried about is the cucked part of Maine. I know they're not all cucked, because I've met some people from rural Maine and they're awesome, they love guns. And Maine sometimes swings Red. But lately it seems like all of New England, even the formerly only partially-cucked states like Pennsylvania and Rhode Island are really jumping on the gun-grabber dick now.

Fuck, even Virginia is turning blue.
>>
>>31862453
Maine has very little "old-growth" forests, so I'd be a little dubious of that claim. It sounds like the property you're looking at is probably in the Midcoast, or Downeast. I would take a couple trips up there before I bought any land. Maybe one in late July and one in January.

As long as question 3 doesn't pass, I think that we'll be fine. We basically re-elected Lepage just because bear-baiting was on the ballot.
>>
>>31862527
How about other aspects of the state? Are taxes high? Are groceries and stuff expensive? I'm guessing a lot of the houses out in rural Maine use heating oil, so is heating oil pretty cheap in Maine?
>>
>>31862295
Maine fag here, I'd wait to move here and wait and see if the UBC measure passes.
>>
>>31862453
Don't worry too much about red or blue. In the end the team doesn't matter, they all play the same sport. That's enough /pol/...

I grew up on around the Kenai. It will always hold a special spot in my heart (full bias disclosure). I'd pick Alaska every time. Maine is probably nice, but the scale is much smaller. You will never be as remote in Maine as you will be in Alaska, it's just not physically possible. I've seen enough sticks of dynamite blow up for 'fun' that I can appreciate the joys of having nearly unlimited space. Guns and explosives are in the DNA of the rural Alaskan.

Sure the cost of importing things is higher in AK, but you are going for some semblance of self sustained living I'm assuming. So, while your one-time (setup) costs may be higher, your daily expenses shouldn't be high enough to make the difference painful. If you're looking for city level convenience, then neither makes much sense.

You get months off at a time right? Go spend a month where you are thinking about living. Consider if you are willing to do the work to live further out than most people (you reload your own right?)....
>>
>>31862585
I don't pay a lot in taxes, but I don't really make shit anyways. Again, a lot is riding on the ballot initiatives this cycle. Depends where you live for groceries.
>>
>>31862592
It won't pass.
>>
>>31862627
That's what everyone in Washington said.
>>
>>31862627
>>31862621
What is this UBC that you guys are talking about?
>>
>>31862699
Maine has a UBC on the ballot. It'll probably pass because normies are too retarded to understand why they're really shit.
>>
>>31862712
So you're talking about a building code, right?
>>
>>31862756
No, universal background checks are on the ballot.
>>
I'm from Maine. The laws on guns are generally great, and our constitution basically says that the right to bear arms shall never be questioned. Absolutely no restrictions on what you can own beyond federal restrictions. Unfortunately like another anon said the southern part of the state is always trying to cuck over the rest the state, especially with this universal background check vote we have this November, and our defense laws aren't quite as good as a lot of states in the South. But once you get out of Cumberland county it's a really /k/, state, plus permitless carry. All around it's great here anon, and I'm sure you'd enjoy living in Maine.
>>
>>31862764
Ohhhh, sorry I thought you were talking about universal building codes lmao.

Well shit, that kinda sucks. Hopefully it doesn't pass.
>>31862791
Do you guys have Castle Doctrine? I mean the goal is to move far away from any dindus and Pablos, but if I were to blow one's fucking brains out when they broke in I'd be fine, right?
>>
>>31862373
>>31862373
Anchorage anon here, this.

I made the move from CA, so my perspective is skewed; it's definitely cheaper between the two. That said, property is cheap if you look in the right place. There were homesteading options up through the 90's IIRC. Apartment living is about half what it is in California, if that means anything to you. Groceries are maybe a little more expensive than CA, but I didn't notice it much. Anchorage has Walmarts and Costcos. That said, I've found that the selection in places that aren't Walmarts and Costcos tends to be rather poor. Local food is good though, and it reasonably affordable. If Anchorage, get ready for lots of sushi and Chinese. Alaska is a gateway to the Orient, and a lot of Chinese/Japanese/Koreans settle there. They're good people, but the food selection reflects it, and sometimes the language barrier shows up.

Weather on the south coast is pretty mild. Anything within Cook Inlet is more or less sheltered from circulating storms. Lived there two years and the only thunder I've heard comes from the F-22s and departing loaded 747s. Personally I enjoy severe weather, but given how severe it can be just on the other side of the mountains, (1 foot of snow in Girdwood on one side of a tunnel, 50 in Whittier on the other) it's definitely practical to stay inside.

If you're into ocean shit, I might recommend Seaward. That said you won't find much property there, just a few killer houses and good fjord access. I've also heard good things about Homer, but I've never been there personally.

Side note: Whittier has an abandoned military complex which I hear makes for some excellent stalking. It's technically cordoned off though, and I haven't tried getting in myself.
>>
>>31862878
Thanks, that helps a lot. My goal is to try and get maybe 2 hours away from a "major" city like Anchorage, Sitka, or Juneau so hopefully I could find maybe 30-50 acres of waterfront property and build. Like I said before, since I'll be gone 8 months out of the year, I suppose the increased price of groceries and heating oil won't really affect me that much.

My biggest concern is just getting electricity and internet that isn't slow as fuck or satellite.
>>
>>31862827
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the law is that deadly force can only be used as a last resort.
>>
NH fag here, just go to Maine anon, it's a beautiful state, and while we tend to swing blue, gun crime and other violent crimes are pretty rare up here, so gun control is not a hot button issue
>>
Alaska bros let me axe you, I want to live in Alaska but I'm pretty much socked in to work in the industrial food industry for the rest of my life. Are there any prospects for me?
>>
>>31862402
Alaskan here. Here's the problem, kind of. When you're in Anchorage, property values are pretty high, but good and services are about as cheap as they'll get in the state. When you leave Anchorage/Eagle River area, property values drop, but goods and services start to go up. There's plenty of people who live in the MatSu valley and commute to Anchorage everyday for work (which sounds like it's not an issue to you) but in the winter, which lasts forever, the commute is a shit show. If you buy land in the bush, good luck getting decent utilities if you're not Alaska Native.
>>
Go To Maine, you'll love Old Port. They need more people like you.

I lived and worked near Portland for a few months. It's not California level poz or even close. The guy pumping your gas dislikes the Somalis, it's the yuppie massholes that tolerate them
>>
File: image.jpg (208KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 1200x808px
>>31862295
Maine fag here. I can't think of any reason why you would want to move to Alaska, it's definitely not an upgrade unless you're moving from southern Maine, but to each their own. The Internet in Alaska sucks ass, it gets too dark during the winter and the sun won't fuck off during the summer. God like gun laws though. And what seems like millions of acres of public land do shoot on. Also no massholes or jewyorkers. Fuck off Bloomberg.
>>
File: 1463159244436.jpg (185KB, 750x984px) Image search: [Google]
1463159244436.jpg
185KB, 750x984px
>>31862295
Hey OP,
Nothing useful to add to the thread but I'm getting started on the mariner's path. I just completed a QMED program and am submitting my packet to the USCG. Any tips on finding work? Right now i'm looking at trying to ship out of a union hall, maybe MEBA, IBU, or MFOW, but don't know much about them. Any tips?
Thanks
>>
Transplant Maine resident here.

I moved here for guns, whites, forests, mountains, game, easy access to unguarded border with Canada in case SHTF. The land is well managed and the residents give a shit about preserving it.

The criticisms of the state by others in this thread are valid. Southern Maine is, and wants to be, Northern Massachusetts. If we ever see a precedent set for a successful secession in the US, it's very likely Aroostook county will try to join Canada, and everything south of Portland will attempt to join Mass. In my opinion Maine is likely to swing even further right in the next twenty years. May I remind you that while conservatives are still in the minority in New England, those who are there voted overwhelmingly in support of Trump, ie are likely racially aware, and see how much damage leftism has caused, having lived in its ground zero, and understand the type of political solutions necessary to fight it.

Impoverished white welfare problem up here, heroin taking over, families fucked up, etc.

Weak universities, excepting Bowdoin...which is a college.

Manufacturing is plentiful on the coasts and further south (Windham Weoponry is there). Tourism and seasonal work is huge. Logging is everywhere. Fishermen and Lobstermen are their own little society, but they're great, exactly what you'd expect.

Annoying accents. Annoying as fuck coastal yuppies.

I'd come here if you want to be on the East coast but still remote. Nothing can replace Alaska in terms of remoteness, but Northern Maine is almost as good, especially the unorganized territories (no property taxes here, but no utilities either).

Pot's about to become legal here which should electrify the economy. It's unlikely the cuck resolutions will pass.
>>
If it wasn't for Fukushima radiation, I'd be in Alaska, instead of Maine.
>>
>>31863681
As another recent transplant this all sounds about as good a description as it can get. Definitely not the shittiest place to live; can't speak for Portland but as far as Bangor and smaller towns are concerned it seems that even the "ghetto" areas are just drugged out whites who don't give a fuck about what's going on around them which is a real switch being used to living closer to places like Philly, DC, and Pittsburgh.

Loving living here so far, just wish my job was less shit in terms of advancement/pay/benefits than I initially thought
>>
>>31863552
The unions suck ass, but unfortunately it's a fact of life in this business.

If you can, get a job with MSC (Military Sealift Command). You'll have your ass worked off, and you don't get as much time off as with some companies, but it's guaranteed work. Once you get on a MSC ship, if you wanted, you could stay on the rest of your life. They won't kick you off unless you're a complete fucking retard or something.

If you can, you could also try to get a job on a Lake freighter. They get tons of downtime. Good luck!
>>
>>31863552
Is that the fucking mlg giant dad? How? Why?
>>
File: 1470310709406.jpg (188KB, 624x763px) Image search: [Google]
1470310709406.jpg
188KB, 624x763px
>>31863987
thanks, anon!
have a helmet flowchart!
>>
File: 1423664372523.jpg (25KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
1423664372523.jpg
25KB, 500x536px
>>31862295
Maine?
>>
>>31864275
>mlg giant dad
anachronism meme magic
>>
>>31865023
kek
>>
The following is my own opinion, and even thinking it breaks my heart.

Alaska's days are numbered. The transplants are coming.

There's even TV shows about rich yuppie couples buying homes in Alaska. It won't stay a gun loving, cold utopia forever. Longer than most other states, yes. But the day is coming.
>>
>>31865122
Rich yuppie couples only buy lake cottages and shit so they have somewhere to go salmon fishing and take pictures to show all their friends they're "Alaskans."

They don't give a shit about the actual state and couldn't imagine life for more than the 3 weeks they spend there a year without cable TV and good internet.
>>
>>31865122
>>31865163
And for every 1 libcuck couple that moves there because they love nature and shit, there's like 3 or 4 gun-friendly couples who do because they're fed up with the South's bullshit. Alaska is safe, bro.
>>
>>31862295
meow.
>>
As much as it sucks right now, we need the price of oil to stay low, and one to three super hard winters to scare off opportunists. Bad state economy plus shitty weather will keep those who dont actually care about the state away.
>>
>>31867638

Fucking Walker should just get rid of the PFD. It would kind of suck to lose the free cash but it would force the dregs to pack up and leave.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.