[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/. Two days ago, I lost a duck to turtles (yes, TURTLES!!)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: myknifes.jpg (89KB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
myknifes.jpg
89KB, 1024x740px
Hello /k/. Two days ago, I lost a duck to turtles (yes, TURTLES!!) in my pond. Last night, I found a 6 foot snake in the hen house, which I dispatched with an axe (although not before it struck at me twice).

So, I'm finally ready to buy a varmint gun like my wife has been begging me for the past 5 years.

I'm an ex-Marine weapons platoon sgt who fired high expert with his M-14 or M-16 at the rifle range four years straight, so I know about guns and how to handle them. However, I've never owned a weapon as a civilian so know little about civilian weaponry, and I doubt they will let me rustle up and M-14.

So here I am for advice. What's a good all-purpose rifle for varmints? I need one for snakes, coons, possums, and turtles, maybe a coyote. We have bobcats around here but they don't tend to come up close enough to the house to worry about.

I don't need one for home protection, since that is not something I tend to worry about. Just a good, all 'round varmint killer.

Types of guns would be good (22, shotgun, etc), but brands would be nice to know about as well. I figure some may be more reliable or accurate than others.

So, what's your choice of weapons when it comes to killing critters?
>>
For the size of your varmints, I'd get a .410 shotgun.
>>
>>31861566
This seems oddly familiar...

Like it might be a copypasta or something.

However, if you want something good for small shit (turtles, rats, squirrels, etc.) a CZ 452 bolt action .22 will work perfectly.

Also, ignore the dumbass motherfuckers who come and rave for the 10/22. They're shit and Rugers QC is ass.
>>
>>31861566
Your military experience means jack shit (military does not equal safe with guns) and to answer your question a 12g shotgun will fit all your rolls and then some. Maverick 88 or mossberg 500s in whatever lengths you want are cheap and reliable go to's. everything else is superfluous.
>>
This smells like bait

You can buy an M14®™ from Springfield®©™

But really you just need a shotgun. The turtles did you a favor by weeding out bad genetics
>>
>>31861633
>>31861604
Thanks. It would be a silly thing to lie about to a bunch of strangers. Just didn't want people to think I didn't know how to handle a weapon and recommend something accordingly. Maybe I should have just said, "I know how to shoot a gun okay." Then perhaps then I wouldn't have run the risk of being called a liar.

Nixon started pulling out of Nam just as I went in, so I served during a time of relative peace.

My wife works in a police station and passed the question around to a bunch of cops. The consensus was .22-250 with hollow point rounds for a minimum gun that has decent power and can do decent damage.
>>
I've seen some big snapping turtle but how big does one need to be to take down a duck?
>>
I remember this pasta
>>
>>31861717
22-250? What is with the expensive ammo recommendations? 22lr or 12ga.
>>
Ruger 1022 is fine for small varmints af close range.

I'd probably go AR if there's ANY chance of using it for anything else. It's a good, general purpose rifle that you're already familiar with for maintenance and operation.
>>
>>31861717
just go with a 12 gauge, better at blowing things out of water and can easily handle any other varmints if you don't mind a little overkill.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Mossburg 500 or maverick 88 reliable shotgun with lots of power. Virtually the same but the 88 can be found for under 200. Bird shot can handle anything you mentioned but you can get slugs if you want to hit something bigger from range. Also fun to shoot recreationally
>>
Oh, a use case for a judge
>>
>>31861566
In expert hands, a 22 will do it, even up to a hog. Doesn't matter much the brand, ruger to anchutz, they will all do the job. Shot placement is critical on larger animals. Coyotes and hogs you might want a bit more thump, and the Springfield M1A will have familiar ergos from your M14, but it is a ton of money compared to the 22. I'd suggest a bolt or lever action 22, budget and aesthetic are really the deciders, so the rest is up to you.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.