[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this might be a dumb question /k/ but is it wise to shoot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: mosin004.jpg (103KB, 863x907px) Image search: [Google]
mosin004.jpg
103KB, 863x907px
I know this might be a dumb question /k/ but is it wise to shoot steel cased ammo on my Romanian wasr 10 and mosin nagaunt? I haven't shot them yet but I have stocked up on tulammo on both calibres.
>>
>>31851255
No it will cause rusting after you shoot it. Also if you shoot quick shots the bullet will weld to the chamber
>>
>>31851255
Yes
>>
>>31851264
This guy is baiting
>>
>>31851255
Try soaking the ammo in caustic soda for a few days first and then take any tooth edges out of your note buy running an auger bit down the barrel with extension rods. Post results.
>>
>>31851264
Are you a fisherman?
>>
>>31851304
He's a master at it
>>
>>31851278
no he's not. I shot 3 full mags of steel case in quick succession and my barrel is welded solid. have fun buying a new barrel
>>
Op here. No I'm not baiting. I have non corrosive tulammo ammo but don't know if its wise to use let's say...INA shtf situation
>>
>>31851255
Steel case ammo is fine, Russians have been using it since the ak47 was put into service
>>
>>31851255
What kind of question is this?

All the surplus 7.62x54r is steel cased, the was designed to shoot low quality mass produced steel cased ammo. The AK is the same way. Now if youre so worried about your AK or Nagant simply don't shoot them. Just give them a good cleaning after you shoot and you'll be fine.

>>31851654
In SHTF you'll use whatever you have. You may even have to abandon your rifle for whatever is available
>>
File: 1349215060856.jpg (35KB, 720x650px)
1349215060856.jpg
35KB, 720x650px
>>31851255
You will die of old age before steel cases wear out the chambers in an AK or Mosin.

Hell, most of the Mosins in the world are as old as our grandparents if not older and they're still just fine.

>Or this is bait and you're a retard
>>31851264
>And this is more bait and he's a retard
>>31851874
>EVERYONE IN THIS BREAD CEPT THIS DUDE IS A RETARD

>Fuck that includes me BRB eating Beretta
>>
Op here. I was more concerned about fuckjnh up the rifuling using steel case.
>>
>>31852037
2 very different kinds of steel i assure you youll be long dead and so will your grandchildren before there noticable wear on the rifling
>>
>>31851914
Does anybody have the greentext that went along with that picture?
>>
Slav guns are designed from the ground up for steel case. The rounds are heavily tapered and the AK has a very violent extraction, just to make cheap steel reliable.
>>
>>31852037
>>31852048
I don't get it, is the joke supposed to be that the casing doesn't touch the rifling therefore doesn't effect it? surely this is a ruse
>>
>>31851255

Steel rounds are excellent to reload with, if youre interested in going down that path.
>>
>>31852054
I wish I'd capped it. Legendary shit.
>>
>>31852064
steel cased ammo typically has a bimetal jacket of copper and steel instead of a pure copper jacket. bimetal jackets wear down barrels faster.
>>
>>31852275
> bimetal jackets wear down barrels faster.
Complete bullshit.
>>
>>31852390
Not at all. It's just not that big of a deal, given that this is over tens of thousands of rounds. You save enough on ammo to afford a new barrel, or in the case of a nugget, a new gun
>>
>>31852401
It was proven bullshit over 100 years ago when the USArmy was trying out different bullet jacket materials. The Russians and Swiss have also found no extra bullet wear.
The steel used is a soft alloy that is the equivalent of gilding metal. The copper/zinc plating further acts as a high pressure lubricant to prevent wear as well.
>>
>>31852401

Yeah.....im gonna need a source on this one. Calling bullshit on this fuddlore.
>>
>>31852493
>>31852525
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
steel is harder than copper, even soft steel. A harder bullet will wear a barrel more quickly than a copper jacketed bullet given similar velocity.
>>
>>31852545
Bullshit again.
The alloys used in bullet jackets are as soft or softer than standard gilding metal.
The LuckyGunner tests also had nothing to do woth bullet composition. They were testing cost effectiveness of ammo.
The damage shown in the testing is textbook examples of flame erosion. The same damage you see when using high nitroglycerine content powders like Cordite I or the cheap Soviet powder used in there steel case ammo.
>>
>>31851892
There's actually brass surplus 54r out there... just saying
>>
>>31852579
Yes, they use a soft alloy. But it remains that you'll never get a steel as soft as copper. Over tens of thousands of rounds, that adds up.
>>
>>31852390
barrels can lose materials two ways

#1 erosion: hot gases at high velocity
#2 wear: caused by the projectile mechanically touching the barrel
>>
>>31852710
Bullet jackets are not copper.
You're trying to tell me an alloy like 1006 is somehow harder than B36. Are you stupid or stoned?
>>
>>31852817
Maybe if they used 1006. Again, it's Bimetal- it has both copper and steel alloy. Most common i've heard used is B14, noticeably harder than B36
>>
>>31852917
You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
The 1005-1010 series of steel alloys are good at deep drawing and cheap. They are typical of bullet jacket steel. This steel is softer than the typical bullet jacket material B36. The steel is then plated in pure copper, not thick enough to affect hardness but enough to prevent rust and add lubrication.
Of course B14 is harder than B36, it's cartridge brass and used for different applications. Even then it is still sometimes used as jacket material and also adds no appreciable extra wear to the bore even though it's harder.
>>
>>31852964
>This steel is softer than the typical bullet jacket material B36.

you could be right but i never seen anyone actually do this to prove it on actual bullets. the exact alloys used in bullets is usually a mystery.
>>
also this supposed frankford arsenal barrel wear test seems like fuddlore. all the gun forums have posts of people talking about it and not one link to the direct source.
>>
>>31853083
Maybe actually search? Not everything is available on the internet.
Start with the first year the US was issuing steel jacketed bullets and work from there.
Annual Report of the Chief of Ordnance to the Secretary of War. 1894 edition
>>
>>31853273
where did the people read about it then ? they are just normal gun owners.
>>
>>31853301
There are these things called books.
>>
>>31853344
what book then ?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.