[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was thinking of getting myself an early Christmas present

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 3_Ruger-No-1.jpg (22KB, 1000x220px) Image search: [Google]
3_Ruger-No-1.jpg
22KB, 1000x220px
So I was thinking of getting myself an early Christmas present and buying a Ruger No 1 in .308. I've never shot one before, but it looks like a fun and unique rifle.

Has anyone here shot/owned one and have an opinion? Also, I'm sort of concerned about how it looks on the range - do single-shot rifles attract any sort of negative attention or mockery? I don't really want to be made fun of because my rifle only holds a single round.
>>
>>31848749
That looks neat.
>>
>making fun of someone in real life for the gun that they own
That doesn't happen. And especially not for a Ruger No. 1.

That said, this is the internet, so you're a faggot if you get it in anything besides an elephant cartridge. Rumors of the Ruger guys not being able to blow them up with absurdly hot .45-70 rounds.
>>
>>31848765
they're not offered in anything larger than .308 this year, apparently ruger rotates out chamberings every year
>>
>>31848765
i dunno, rugers are pretty shit-on at my range because of ol bill ruger the original fudd

i know a guy who will refuse to even touch anything ever made by ruger or s&w
>>
>>31848781
You'd better wait then, they can't possibly need that many No. 1 rifles chambered for .308. that would be collector shit tier. Hell, 30-06 would be better
>>
>>31848835
I didn't know that No 1s were collectibles? I just wanted to get a handle on a single shot gun.
>>
Anybody who goes up to another shooter on the range to criticize their stuff is a shitcunt whose opinion can be safely discarded.
Ask >>31848828
Just get what you like.
>>
>>31848749

They're fun, they work well, nobody actually cates what gun you shoot, and you should be man enough to not give a fuck anyway.

>Ruger the Fudd

Maybe then, but the Ruger 556 is actually pretty nice for an entry level AR , especially for the price.
>>
>>31848781
website shows .35 Whelen
>>
>>31848990
I was under the impression .35 whelen was only slightly more powerful than 308?
>>
>>31849006
It's a .30-06 length case necked up to .35. Similar velocities, significantly larger bullet.
>>
>>31848828
Sounds like your range is full of faggots. The deeper you dive into nitpicky bullshit like that, the fewer options you have. I used to feel the same way when I was younger, now I buy wtf I want
>>
Not gonna lie,a .308 No.1 would be fun as fuck you. It doesn't have that wonderful big bore punch that the No.1s are known for but it's way more practical. I'm not among them but you can bet your ass that if a 7.62x54 version was around people would be falling all over themselves
>>
>>31848749
>ruger
>unique
Pick one

That particular design is quite rare--a falling-block single shot. Depending on how much you plan to spend, there are other/better choices that might be a fair bit more unique.
>>
>>31850783
The term relative me anything to you? How often do you even see M77s around?
>>
>>31848781
You have to look at distributor exclusives
>>
>>31848749
Why would you give a fuck what some faggots at a range think of your gun?

Buy whatever you like and have fun. The rare person that dislikes your choice in guns and is also socially unaware enough to actually say it to your face is a gigantic faggot whose opinion should be thrown in the trash where it belongs.

Now that I've got my AR and AK before the election, my next purchases will probably all be either lever actions or single shots as far as rifles go and revolvers for handguns.
>>
I own one of those in .30-06

Probably the prettiest and most expensive gun in my collection. I will say, shooting 170gr. 30-06 out of that short of a barrel is not fun on the shoulder. I've found the recoil worse than a Morin or Garand.
>in 4 pussy

I still love it. Inherited it from my late grandfather. If I ever went deer hunting, this is what I'd use. It even has a decent Leopold optic on it.

Can provide pics
>>
File: d2b1c78125.jpg (82KB, 470x381px) Image search: [Google]
d2b1c78125.jpg
82KB, 470x381px
Shot one suppressed in .300Blk. They're a neat gun but I'd rather have a regular bolt action.
>>
My local Cabela's has one in .416 Rigby. Should I?
>>
File: Pith86.jpg (20KB, 252x340px)
Pith86.jpg
20KB, 252x340px
>>31848749
That full mannlicher forestock = hrrng
But .308? ..... Really?

I wouldn't laugh at you for having a #1, but I'd chuckle internally at you for having one in that caliber. I mean, sure it would be fun and practical and cheap to shoot. But that's WAY too vanilla for me. Especially for that rifle.

.375 H&H? Now we're talking. Much respect. In fact, I'd venture to say that I'd tip my pith hat at you, sir.
>>
If I'm get it a single shot... make it count. Get a .300 win mag at least
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+45-70&BuyNowOnly=1&Condition=1&Sort=4&Tab=2
>>
>>31848749

A shooting buddy of mine that's 20 years older than me has one of these:

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Number-1A-Stainless-Light-Sporter-762X39mm.aspx

It is goddamn fun to shoot. We love figuring out new way to reload it quickly.
He actually ran a local 3-gun competition with it using a bandoleer to hold ammo and teamed it up with a Vaquero in .357 shooting .38's, and an old double-barrel.

He was mid-pack against guys with AR's, double-stack 9mm's and VEPR-12's, mostly because he hit damn near everything on the first shot while other guys missed or hit no-shoots occasionally.
>>
Ruger #1 will handle the stoutest shit you can work up. If you want to push a caliber to it's absolute max, you do it with a #1.

Might not get the most accurate autistic grouping but holy fuck are they some cannons.
>>
>>31850824
Does the language English mean anything to you?
>>
>not buying one of these in .375 H&H Magnum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRy5z_k7tGc

Don't you want to be able to kill elephants with one shot?
>>
>>31852120
good luck finding one that isnt 10 plus years old
>>
>>31848749
Get it in 6.5 Creedmoor instead. Load it until the cartridges bulge and hit barns a mile away.
>>
>>31854327
Do you think people typically shoot them a lot, or anywhere near enough to wear them out? When that video was posted originally, I remember going on Gunbroker and there were half a dozen of these guns in .375 H&H magnum in great condition for a little over a thousand.
>>
No one will make fun of you for having a Ruger No.1 especially not one with a sexy full length stock like that one. I have and have had multiple, great guns. Lots of old guys that really know guns cant keep their hands off of them.
>>
>>31848828
Find a better range. Sounds obnoxious as fuck.
>>
>>31848749
>made fun of because single shot

The only people that would do that are noguns, thus not encountered on the range.
>>
>>31848828

Sounds like a stuck up asshole who needs to be salty about everything

I'd unknow him if possible
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.