[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does the propulsion on this thing even work? It has 8 boilers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

How does the propulsion on this thing even work? It has 8 boilers, 11 turbines and a collection of diesel generators.

All I can make out is that it probably has 8 giant flame thrower type things with boilers surrounding it, the steam then is fed into 2 large turbines that probably drive the propellers via gearboxes. Then there's 9 small turbines that turn electrical generators presumably powering electrical things while the conventional diesel generators appear to be for when the steam system fails.

Why didn't they just build large gas turbines?
>>
Exactly that
Because they wanted to support the boilermaker industry in Mykolaiv
>>
essentially they use nuclear reactors to turn water into steam which they then use to run the turbines, nuclear reactors because that way they can go years without refueling (almost certain they get the water for the boilers from the sea)
>>
>>31842088
Ok now you have stopped looking at Google images of the Nimitz Class how about the image that OP posted?
>>
What is with the rods sticking out from the left of this heap of junk?
>>
>>31842119
Hungry Russian sailors.
>>
>>31842103
Boris told me it has nuclear reactor & the smoke is just for show in order to fool the fascist capitalists by claiming the glorious Motherland can't into nuclear carriers
>>
>>31842119
fishing poles

getting fish for the gipper
>>
Exactly like nuclear propulsion, except that instead of reactor they heat water with diesel/heavy oil burners in boilers. 8 boilers feed 4 50k horsepower turbines and 9 1500kW turbogenerators.
>>
>>31842006
I'm just wondering how much fuel that thing goes though per day.
>>
>>31842171
Judging by the smoke, it's burning through more than it should.
>>
File: bunker fuel.jpg (2MB, 1865x2773px) Image search: [Google]
bunker fuel.jpg
2MB, 1865x2773px
>>31842006
>Why didn't they just build large gas turbines?
Jet engines need jet fuel.
You could pave roads with the fuel that thing uses.
>>
>>31842215
The pressure must be lower than in a combustion engine, between that and it being used to heat steam rather than directly power it the efficiency must be dismal.
>>
>>31842333
That shit is a pain in the ass to deal with
>>
>>31842348
No doubt. Jesus.
>>
>>31842006
Nobody seems to notice how the russkies are expanding to the north pole, doing who knows what.
Also, they like having mountains (Caucuses, they battled anyone there wanting to separate regardless of the cost).
Now this volcano shit heap that used to be the shit back in the day.

They want to melt everything and drown us.
>>
>>31842006

Smoooooke on the water...

...fire in the sky!
>>
>>31842333
Gas turbines are as multifuel as you can get. And they're more efficient while operating at constant speed. Unless you have excess mazut...
>>
>>31842006
Itll be Steam turbine powered. Maybe those other boilers and turbines are for redundancy?
>>
>>31842171
When the only thing your country makes are liver transplant recipients and oil, you have plenty of oil for inefficient boilers in a carrier. And, for the boilers in the tug that has to follow it around.
>>
>>31842088
>untreated salt water in your boiler
kids get dumber every day
>>
>>31846570
I didn't say it was untreated, did I?
>>
>>31842006

The scenes depicted in this video resemble what goes on in that ship and how it is powered

http://youtu.be/LwinMu7-ZrI
>>
>>31846687
wtf this is just a video of hillary's birth.
>>
>>31846451
and dont forget the icebreaker because they have shit for ports
>>
>>31846908
I think their icebreaker, ironically, is nuclear.
>>
File: victorious.jpg (47KB, 564x431px) Image search: [Google]
victorious.jpg
47KB, 564x431px
>>31842119
Outriggers, most carriers have them.
>>
>>31842119
Oars.
>>
>How does the propulsion on this thing even work?
That's the joke, it doesn't.
>>
>>31842348
It also stinks like rotting fish.
>>
>>31843172
People notice. They talk about it all the time. Whether they're going to DO anything about it is another matter. Gotta go bomb those brown people after all...
>>
>>31842119

I assume you're talking about the ones on the left. Whip HF antennae they fold down when flight ops are being conducted and fold up when not. Those are some of the consistencies between the nimitz, kuznetsov and other classes of carriers.
>>
>>31848623

Meant to say *far left* but you get it.
>>
File: t3_51xubt.jpg (721KB, 3000x2180px) Image search: [Google]
t3_51xubt.jpg
721KB, 3000x2180px
>>31847674
dat searchlight
>>
>>31843642

Nigger, you ain't gonna burn bunker oil in a turbine without making it NOT MULTIFUEL.
>>
File: i see what you did there3.jpg (36KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
i see what you did there3.jpg
36KB, 500x447px
>>31843603
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M
>>
File: abe.jpg (44KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
44KB, 960x960px
>>31842006
Is that a VW bus on the left side of the deck?
>>
>>31848676
>smoke in the water
>fire in the sky
>>
Can it run on fermented potato?
>>
>>31842006
I think it's coal fired.
>>
>>31849141
This is really well done. Where is it from?
>>
>>31846687
so...is that how AKs are made?
>>
>>31842006
>It has 8 boilers, 11 turbines and a collection of diesel generators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuznetsov-class_aircraft_carrier#Propulsion_and_performance
8 boilers, each with their own oil-fired, turbocharged combustor. Steam from these boilers can be valved to any of four 50,000 HP turbines each coupled to its own propeller shaft.

There are additional turbine and diesel generators aboard for powering electrical systems.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.