[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't own a gun(yet) so I have a question about a specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: bert.jpg (139KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
bert.jpg
139KB, 1000x750px
I don't own a gun(yet) so I have a question about a specific add-on.
Why are compensator used for? I assume they add weight to the barrel which could weigh down to reduce recoil, but after that do they actually help with anything?
>>
>>31840739
vents on top which expel the gas and that helps push the muzzle down
that plus weight keeps you on target
>>
>>31840777
I been wondering about barrel threaded attachments on some handguns for a while...

Doesn't it screw up feeding if it's got a tilting barrel? A lot of them seem to tilt with the muzzle up feed ramp down during cycle it looks like. Seems like a bit of weight could mess with that.
>>
>>31841674
It doesnt
>>
File: 400px-H&K-USP-Compensator.jpg (26KB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
400px-H&K-USP-Compensator.jpg
26KB, 400x239px
>>31841674

Compensators port gas upward to attempt to reduce flip or rise. Sort of like a muzzle brake, which generally ports to the sides and backward to try to reduce rearward recoil (Barrett's famous Arrowhead brake is a good example). A weight is just that, a weight to reduce flip/rise.

Generally if it's just a weight, it will attach to the front of the frame instead of the actual barrel. It's seen a lot in target pistols.

Some aren't really attached to the barrel, see pic related.

The system Beretta uses in the OP picture isn't as sensitive to extra barrel weight as some other designs, or so I've been told. A compensator can just be a series of slots or holes drilled into the end of the barrel, see Glocks C models.

If you hang a large mass on the end of the barrel, you will almost absolutely cause malfunctions. That's why pistol silencers use a spring piston "booster" system on the rear of the tube.

This isn't an issue with fixed barrel pistols, like most .22s and some .380 pistols.
>>
>>31840739
So youll nogunz on a gun thread to ask a question yet won't use google?
>>
File: 1359643327.jpg (58KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1359643327.jpg
58KB, 800x450px
>>31841734
>The system Beretta uses in the OP picture isn't as sensitive to extra barrel weight as some other designs,
because the barrel goes straight back, unlike most designs which are built on the browning tilting barrel/breech locked system

>>31840739
want a cheap first gun with a comp? get a tokarev or M57 and get a comp for it. the tok design is simple as shit, will need some care and probably a few bucks in parts(firing pin, maybe a spring), but it will teach you about basic gun maintenance.
>>
>>31843656
+1 for getting a tok. Best $200 i ever spent.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.