[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was objectively the best cap and ball revolver of the Old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: remington 1858 2.jpg (59KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
remington 1858 2.jpg
59KB, 640x364px
What was objectively the best cap and ball revolver of the Old West? Were there any obscure designs that should've been more popular than they were?
>>
Cap n ball, put a pic of a converted replica... idiot
Just fkin google..
N yes the remington 1858 was the best n last.. designed to stop a horse at 50 meter and it still does, go on youtube, see the dammage on balistic gell, far more devestating than a 9mm..
>>
>>31825075
Famas
>>
Colt Walker
Not really. The Remington was top dog of the cap n balls. Shame modern remshit is related
>>
If you don't mind the size and weight the LeMat is pretty great
>>
>>31825269
Kys nigger
>>
Watch navy
>>
>>31829619
Walch
>>
>>31825269
I remember mac did a video on an 1860 vs an m9 in ballistics gel, and the results were pretty similar. Do people just not bother with shot placement anymore or does the extra .09" of diameter really make a difference?
>>
>>31825075
1858 is the best, but desu it like the look of the 1851 better.
>>
1858 cause you could reload it the fastest, all you had to do was remove the cylinder and pop in a spare with a simple lever. no driving pins or wedges out
>>
>>31825269
>Cap n ball, put a pic of a converted replica... idiot
It's only a matter of swapping the cylinder to make it cap and ball again.

>Just fkin google..
Why the fuck do you even post then?

>N yes the remington 1858 was the best n last.. designed to stop a horse at 50 meter
No, it was never designed to be shot specifically at 50 meters. It can easily get that far wif you get enough practice but it was never it's purpose.

>go on youtube, see the dammage on balistic gell, far more devestating than a 9mm..
Why the fuck do you talk out of your ass retard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpIVLUQ9rk8
9mm out of a modern handgun and .44 out of black powder revolver have comaprable amounts of energy.

You could argue that a soft lead ball is going to fuck you up harder because it easily deforms,but it still would be neglible. 9mm JHP would still do much more damage.

>>31825075
>What was objectively the best cap and ball revolver of the Old West?
Probably the 1858.

Closed cylinder frame design makes it a lot more rugged than other revolvers.

It's possible to swap the cylinder very quickly without any disassembly.

Sights are consistent unlike those in 1851 for example, where the rear sight is a part of the hammer.

The only real con is that loading lever assembly is kinda weak and wobbly when comapred to 1851 where it's rugged as fuck, but it's still good enough and better than some other designs.

For example, the loading lever assembly in LeMat is so shit it's bound to fly off the gun eventually.
>>
Would people carry around spare cylinders full loaded? Sounds kinda dangerous
>>
>>31831422
Yes, but they either weren't capped or were very careful.
>>
>>31831422
It's about as dangerous as carrying live ammo in your pocket.

Caps are not going to go off by themselves, you need to apply quite a bit of force to detonate them. As long as you don't drop it on a sharp edge you should be fine.

And even if you somehow do drop it so the cap lands exactly on an edge, the ball won't be able to build up enough velocity to be lethal. Well, maybe if you stick stick it to your temple or something.
>>
What about the Roger & spencer? At my opinion, the best cap n ball revolver!! But with no history...
>>
>>31831484
It's basically a 1858 with 1851 loading lever assembly and a different grip.

You trade the 1858 ability to swap cylinders quickly (still quicker than 1851 though, since you only need to take the lever off instead of the whole barel assembly) for 1851 rugged loading lever.

I don't like the grip though.
>>
>>31826336
LeMat is a memevolver.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a Dragoon BP revolver, probably from Taylor's.

Should I? It'll be my first black powder firearm.
>>
>>31833610
Also it seems like the Taylor's and the Uberti are literally the same, it almost looks like the two different websites I'm on are using the same exact gun for their pictures, infact.

Is this the same gun? Is there any reason for me to take a Taylor's over a Uberti, if the Uberti is cheaper?
>>
File: 003.jpg (21KB, 700x552px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
21KB, 700x552px
>>31833108

A modernized LeMat would be so sexy though
>>
>>31833639

IIRC Taylor cherry picks Uberti/Pietra

Pedersoli is the best you can buy unless you want to spend ten K
>>
>>31825075

you kind of just posted it OP. 1858 Remingtons certainly weren't very flashy but they were sturdy as shit and have some quite nice irons for a revolver of the time, at least for a borderline blind little shit like me.
>>
File: Colt_Army_Mod_1860_US.jpg (326KB, 1930x842px) Image search: [Google]
Colt_Army_Mod_1860_US.jpg
326KB, 1930x842px
Don't have enough experience with cap and ball revolvers to say which is the best, but the Colt 1860 Army definitely looks the best.
>>
>>31825075
I've handled a Remington 1858, I honestly prefer my 1851 navy. Reasons being:

>1858 Remington may have consistent sights that offer greater accuracy potential but the colt is more of a natural pointing pistol. This translates in my experience to faster follow up shots and target acquisition. Practical accuracy (I know it's just a black powder revolver but still).

>1851 navy is easier to clean than the 1858 Remington. Just remove the wedge and there you go, swab the bore from the rear as opposed to the front. Using black powder expect to have a brissley wire brush to break up fouling.

>While you can swap out cylinders, most people did not, and I guarantee you that it is not common to own more than 1, if not 2.

>Remington base pin is weaker than the studier base pin of the colt (arbor); the colt also has grease grooves allowing for longer operation under heavier fouling than the Remington.

For all the pros of it, a huge con is that expended caps will fall into the hammer recess and jam the firearm or the internal parts. And a slightly less significant issue is a lack of a top strap in the frame.
>>
>>31833610

No.

If you want a Dragoon, get a Colt Walker.

Pay a smith to keep the loading lever from falling.

>60 grain capacity

You know you want it. Its so powerful about 1/3 of every Colt Walker KBd in the Mexican American war.
>>
>>31836410
From what I've heard the wedge beats itself to shit after a while on full power loads. FYI a third of them blew up because soldiers incorrectly loaded their conical bullets generating more pressure than the wrought iron could handle.
>>
>>31836436

Correct. But a dragoon is a walker with a short cylinder and different loading lever lock. That's it.

HOWEVER the Walker is to this day the most powerful pistol ever issued to the US Army.

Get one!!
>>
>>31838746
If you want to go full retard you can get a cartridge conversion cylinder for the Colt Walker and have it reamed so you can load .45 BPM and have roughly .357 Magnum loads with black powder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum
>>
>>31838907

Yep.

I know.

And I'm angry because is felon and cartridges are illegal for me to shoot as far as the Fed is concerned.
>>
>>31839535
Then shoot the original with original loads. It will still kill seccesh Democrats just as dead.
>>
File: 800px-Kingsman-ColtHammerless.jpg (56KB, 800x326px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Kingsman-ColtHammerless.jpg
56KB, 800x326px
>>31835460
Not if it fucking looked like that.
A better design would be like what the movie Kingsmen did
TT3 with a small barrel under neath that swings out from under.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.