[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please explain to me how exactly surface navies and surface naval

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 0-WuhSTfOkNjBoXBzY.jpg (131KB, 800x568px) Image search: [Google]
0-WuhSTfOkNjBoXBzY.jpg
131KB, 800x568px
Please explain to me how exactly surface navies and surface naval doctrine are relevant in a post WWII nuclear armed setting.

Beyond strategic level power projection, what benefits does it bring before simply being nothing more than a painted target for a nuke?
>>
Well, you can bomb the shit out of people.

That's pretty cool.

As it turns out, you need to be able to apply force on a spectrum that has options in between strongly worded letters and the hydrogen bomb.
>>
>>31814064
At literally any level of engagement below nuclear which turns out to be the ones every sane country act at.
>>
>>31814064
You gotta locate them to nuke them. It is not as easy as whatever shit you're going to spew next in reply.
>>
>>31814101

>As it turns out, you need to be able to apply force on a spectrum that has options in between strongly worded letters and the hydrogen bomb.

kek

>It is not as easy as whatever shit you're going to spew next in reply.

Satellites are a good way to direct them, aren't they?
>>
>>31814152

>Satellites are a good way to direct them, aren't they?

Can't get a satellite into orbit if its shot down on its pad. Some Navies have anti satellite weaponry and electronic warfare capabilities to disrupt them.
>>
>>31814064
Please explain how shitposting on /k/ is relevant when reddit and Facebook exist.
>>
File: USS Tacoma No. 2-5.jpg (156KB, 1600x1227px) Image search: [Google]
USS Tacoma No. 2-5.jpg
156KB, 1600x1227px
>>31814064

>Please explain to me how exactly surface navies and surface naval doctrine are relevant in a post WWII nuclear armed setting.

Think about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Conventionally powered surface warships played a big role in defusing the Soviet-Cuban missile threat in a situation where using nuclear weapons would have meant catastrophic civilian losses for both the US and Cuba.

In addition think about:

>Strategic level power projection
I know you said to ignore this but this is too important to ignore. Being able to transport troops and supplies around the world is huge. This power allows you to assault your enemies and reinforce your allies.

>Protection of nuclear assets
Anti-submarine warfare requires at lot of ships out there searching. If you want to keep enemy submarines out of your territory, then you need a large number of surface vessels capable of deploying ASW helicopters and equipped with powerful sonar arrays.

>Maritime Law Enforcement
Basic stuff like enforcing environmental protection laws and stopping smugglers. It's not glamorous but somebody has to do it. Search & rescue operations fall into this category as well.
>>
>>31814152
The communications chain between a missile and a satellite is long, and likely to be disrupted partly or totally by a nuclear exchange.
>>
Conventional militaries have use even against a nuclear armed opponent. The use of nuclear weapons in war is totally taboo, and only acceptable in situations where they would save more lives than they would kill.

Conventional militaries are, and always will be, political tools used to force fair or unfair concessions at bargaining tables. At best they are peacekeeping and humanitarian tools concerning excessively cruel and inhumane dictatorships, establishments, and rebel forces.

Nukes are mostly there to create an infrastructure for civilian uses. Nukes are mostly meant to exist instead of being used.
>>
>>31814152
No, they're inexact at best. They're one more thing that movies have convinced people are magical and all-seeing when in fact they are very limited in important ways.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.