[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are rifles traditionally bolt-action while shotguns are typically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 23813_111234288898457_8255117_n.jpg (34KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
23813_111234288898457_8255117_n.jpg
34KB, 720x480px
Why are rifles traditionally bolt-action while shotguns are typically pump-action? Why isn't it the other-way around, or exclusively pump-action or bolt-action with each type of firearm?
>>
A box-magazine of shotgun shells is big and unwieldy, pump-actions work better with tubular mags.

Rifles don't have that problem.
>>
Bolt action is slower and more accurate.

Pump action is faster and less accurate.

Now think about which of those is more useful for a shotgun and which is more useful for a rifle.
>>
>>31802845

Bolt action lends itself to a multi-lug rotating bolt that can handle the higher chamber pressures of rifle rounds, and the inaccuracy of the single lug locking mechanism (typically?) in pump actions has little to no effect on a shotgun which benefits greatly from the increased rate of fire and ability to cycle the action without breaking your grip on the gun and sight on the target.

However, it's really tradition, mostly. Modern bolt action rifles and pump action shotguns are basically refined versions of designs made over 100 years ago. Pump action rifles and bolt action shotguns are made and available but not popular because change is bad.
>>
>>31802876
this is and the fact that the pointed nose on say a 223 would likely set of the primer of the round infront of it and set off a chain of fun in a tubular magazine. Thats why the henry 45-70s were blunt flat rounds
>>
File: 1460989115245.jpg (52KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1460989115245.jpg
52KB, 960x540px
>tfw no pump action .308
>>
>>31802845
I had a bolt action shotgun once.
It came with furniture from the Sears magazine back in the day and I bought it for 50$ in 2000. After tons of birdshot we tried slugs and it almost exploded. Ruined the shotgun, splintered the stock into my hand.
>>
>>31802845
Pump action rifles suffered from a stigma when first introduced, and it stuck to the point where the bolt action became a staple.
>>
>>31802845
I own both a pump rifle, and a bolt shotgun.
>>
>>31804282

A reasonable stigma, though.

That being said, it's not like deer hunting with a pump rifle is a bad thing. A quick second shot could be a lot more handy than a 500-yard shot.
>>
Bolt shotguns are slower to chamber due to size/shape of rounds.

Tube mag pump rifles, like levers, limit bullet choice.

Pump shotguns and bolt rifles are the masters of their respective races.
>>
File: 7600.png (73KB, 800x139px) Image search: [Google]
7600.png
73KB, 800x139px
>>31804195

Hi, anon.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.