[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ I'm aware there's ways to clean a rifle after using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 533373.jpg (66KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
533373.jpg
66KB, 880x660px
/k/ I'm aware there's ways to clean a rifle after using corrosive ammo( hott water and dish soap or windex) . But isn't hoppes a better solution?
>>
>>31797481

The ammo is corrosive because of the salts that are formed and deposited in the gun.

Water is excellent at dissolving and removing salts. Hot water even more so.
>>
>>31797481
the point is that water dissolves and washes away corrosive salts. The reason its near-boiling is that it will evaporate fast. Windex, dish soap, whatever, is all pointless

Hoppes would be worse and more expensive
>>
>>31797481
>But isn't hoppes a better solution?
I don't know, but it smells deliciously banana-biodiesely.
>>
>>31797509
Hoppes would actually be bad for the gun?
>>
>>31797481
Best bet is to piss down the barrel.
>>
Would rubbing alcohol be bad? The reason I'm thinking about it is because it dries super fast.
>>
Suppose I had a mosin that had corrosive ammo fired through it and then it sat in a room for months and months, and probably has rust in the ol' barrel. What's a good way to clean it out?
>>
>>31797610
What kind of cleaning product do I need, solvent, and what sort of rod do I use. And the method.
>>
>>31797637
50 ml of cum
>>
>>31797524
it's a carbon solvent. I think the point is that hot water works the best and it's really easy to get large quantities of it.
>>
>>31797524
Not bad for the gun, but far far inferior for removing salts. And the amount you would need to use to effectively clean out an entire action after shooting corrosive is impractical.
>>
>>31797553
Rubbing alcohol is not effective for dissolving salts. Try it in your kitchen
>>
>>31797661
Do I have to dilute it first?
>>
>>31797637
Pour 1L Soviet vodka down barrel, let sit overnight and you're good to go. The gun didn't last as long as it did because people took amazing care of it, it's made to last
>>
Windexed my Vz58 after shooting some Chinese surplus. Smelled like shit but works well with the spray bottle.
>>
>>31797481
use naval jelly
>>
>>31797481
I used to shoot corrosive surplus. Here is what I used to do to clean the bore.

Step one: two patches of hoppes #9 followed by a dry patch (to remove 80ish% of powder residue)
Step two: approximately 2 cups of boiling hot water down the bore (I would be lazy and microwave a measuring cup full of water till it boiled)
Step three: dry patches to remove what was left of the water
Step four: another set of hoppes #9 and then dry patch

Never had a rust issue with any barrel with this.
>>
>>31797776
Would that take care of rust already in a barrel?
>>
I like Ballistol. Not exactly good for long term storage but keeps rust off of anything you're using and cleaning often.
>>
>>31798266
Shoot it a bunch, rust gets knocked gone by bullets and exploding gas
>>
ITT nobody payed any attention in high school chemistry
>>
>>31798266
Depends on how deep the rust is. The hoppes and patches will take care of any surface rust most likely. For anything worse you may need either a rust remover (be careful not to get any of it on the receiver or exposed metal as it will remove the bluing).

You may be able to get away with a copper solvent if is too bad as well.

Take note the worst rust I have ever dealt with is when I left my garand alone after shooting Korean surplus for a week and the worst rust came off with a dry patch. So I don't have extensive experience with rust.
>>
>>31797553

So does boiling hot water.
>>
>Hoppes
>been around since corrosive has been around
>used on corrosive for decades
>worked on corrosive for decades
>isn't good enough for corrosive
Wut?

Hoppes is just fine.
Step 1: Hoppes soaked patch down bore, let sit a few minutes
Step 2: clean bolt and other parts with Hoppes soaked patch
Step 3: bore snake
Step 4 optional: Hoppes end of bore snake, run through an extra time or two

Done. This shit isn't hard why does everyone make it hard.
>>
>>31799125
>Bore snake.
NO
>>
>>31799125
Oh yeah, use a tshirt or rag to wipe Hoppes off of bolt/other parts. Q-tips are great as well.
>>
>>31799144
Works just fine. Stop making this shit more complicated than it needs to be.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.