[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been conceal carrying a commander sized 1911 for about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

I've been conceal carrying a commander sized 1911 for about two years now, I'm getting kinda tired of trying to conceal such a (fairly) big gun since I always have to dress around it.

I started looking looking at both pic related and glock 26. Only hangup I'm having is moving away from a more traditional safety on a gun, to just the passive safeties that the glock has.

Anyone have any experience in general with the glock "safe action" system, or just moving from carrying a 1911 to a glock?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3039x2140px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3039x2140px
>>31791154
The Glock "safe action" works in that the gun will not go off unless the trigger is being pulled. The firing pin is blocked and the striker isn't cocked when the trigger is forward. So it's basically impossible for the gun to "just go off." Safe use is up to you not pulling the trigger. The Glock trigger is fairly long and deliberate, which makes it harder to pull unintentionally. Really, your holster is your safety. A mechanical safety is just a crutch, the gun should shoot when you pull the trigger.
>>
File: XDDDD.png (1MB, 804x565px) Image search: [Google]
XDDDD.png
1MB, 804x565px
>>31791154
I went from a 1911 to an XD, which is similar enough to a Glock in that it doesn't have an external safety, just a grip safety that will definitely get me killed.

Just be careful when holstering your gun, and practice your draw in clothes you would normally wear. Carrying a smaller pistol is definitely worth the change though.
>>
>>31791264
>A mechanical safety is just a crutch

Yea I've been trying to shift my mentality to that. Hard to go from 'Cocked and Locked' to 'Cocked and ready to blast'. That said, I'm more than willing to spend money on a quality holster, so that's no problem.

>>31791305

What do you mean it'll get you killed? Not quality grip safety?
>>
>>31791322
It's one of the biggest complaints people have about the XD, but I have yet to experience it keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Most XD owners don't have a problem with it either as far as I can tell.
>>
>>31791264
>Really, your holster is your safety.
This is worth emphasizing. Glock leg happens when people reholster while:
>finger in trigger guard
>clothing in trigger guard
Always be deliberate, and look while you reholster. If carrying IWB behind the back, you need to be extra careful about loose clothing and your index finger. A good kydex holster will also go along way.
>>
>>31791154
I moved from carrying a full sized 1911 to a walther PPS 9mm. Your safety becomes a rigid kydex holster.
>>
>>31791322
I think he was just memeing about the grip safety.
>>
So I'm getting a pretty clear consensus of having a good holster + being aware of the trigger, which should already be a thing = no problems.

Thanks everyone.
>>
>>31791350
>>31791383
My EDC is a XD mod.2 and I've never had a problem with the grip safety preventing me from firing when I want to.
The only time it's a bit inconvenient is when I want to take the gun apart.
>>
>>31791154
ive only ever carried glocks, but anon you have nothing to worry about, get a kydex holster, and dont pull the trigger.

also get the g43, way more slim, get a mag extension and you are gold, im no competition shooter and i can keep a group in a silver dollar size target at 7 yards with my 43, no idea if thats impressive or not, just stating what i know.
>>
File: ILMG-0093cf.jpg (207KB, 1600x1207px) Image search: [Google]
ILMG-0093cf.jpg
207KB, 1600x1207px
I have a kydex trigger guard for my G43, and carry it Mexican.
>>
>>31791821
Why don't you just get an actual holster you fucking nigger? You make all CCers look bad when your gun falls out on the floor because you were too stupid to buy a real holster.
>>
>>31791264
If you wanted a safety any way you could just keep the slide open and use the slide release to ready it to fire.
>>
>>31791154
>such a (fairly) big gun
For you
>>
>>31791154
If you're worried about it: When you first get it and start to carry, just keep it loaded with snap caps and one snap cap in the chamber. Go around all day as normal and then come back home and check whether it's still cocked or if the striker has spontaneously dropped on the snap cap. This will prove to you that your gun won't just "go off" with live ammo.

You could also Israeli carry, but everybody knows that's subpar.
>>
>>31792247

Not everyone is a 350lb murican sho can just tuck an m249 saw in one of their fat folds.
>>
>>31792302
>Owning ''guns" anywhere other than America
Stay mad
>>
Is there any reason to get a 43 instead of a 26? The 26 is .15 of an inch longer and .16 of an inch wider and holds a 15rd clip, compared to the 6rd clip of the 43.
>>
>>31792344
Oops, the 26 has a 10rd standard mag, not 15.
>>
>>31792344
G26 holds 9 plus one
>>
I pack a glock 30s with one up top. havent shot my dick off yet
>>
>>31792247

Yea I'm pretty skinny, so if I wear anything remotely well fitting it will print.

>>31792297

That's not a bad idea, may do that a couple of times just to verify that I don't mishandle that trigger.
>>
>>31791821
How would my gun fall to the floor, it's on a fucking rope.
>>
>>31791154
you could just move to a double action compact too.
>>
>>31792548

How sturdy is that trigger guard? Will it really stay on to the weight of a fully loaded gun dropping? If so, how the fuck are you supposed to get it off when you actually need to fire the gun?
>>
>>31792651
Yes, it holds the full weight of the gun if you drop it. The rope attaches around your belt and easily pulls off when drawn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCi2yqcIc0
>>
>>31791154
>having to dress around a commander 1911
Manlet pls
>>
>>31792370
10 plus one.
>>
File: extendo.jpg (59KB, 726x968px) Image search: [Google]
extendo.jpg
59KB, 726x968px
>>31793708
>10 plus one.
for you
>>
>>31793740

Where is the 33 rounder?
>>
>>31793864
College poorfag so no 33 rd yet. Just have my G19 mags I sometimes use with it, anon.
>>
>>31791154
>buying a glock for CC
Good luck with that buddy. If you can't concealed carry a commander, you can't CC anything. A G26 is only marginally smaller. That and now you'll be carrying 9mm.
That said, if you buy any weapon that chambers .45 GAP your very existence is an affront to God himself.
>>
File: babby.jpg (2MB, 2944x1508px) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
2MB, 2944x1508px
>>31791154
BABY GLOCK IS CUTE!

CUTE!
>>
A Glock 26 will be similarly sized to a commander.

My opinion is get a Colt Pocketlite or something that can actually be a pocket pistol for CC.
>>
>>31794074
>>31794148

Think you're confusing Officer and Commander frame 1911s. Even an officer colt defender is a bit larger than a G26.
>>
>>31794148
no it wont considering an officer has the same profile as a 17 ignoring the grip

a 26 is much smaller
>>
File: glock_vs_1911.gif (83KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
glock_vs_1911.gif
83KB, 650x800px
>>31794162

You're right, I did.

>>31794165

Yea I mixed up the terminology on this pic. Was mistaken
>>
>>31791305
The XD's grip safety is retarded - not only is it unnecessary on a striker-fired gun but it's too small. If it were the size of the one on a 1911 and had a memory bump it would be fine.

"Glock leg" happens because certain schools of thought erroneously believe that weapons should be holstered quickly and without looking at the weapon or holster. A weapon should only be holstered once you're 1000% sure that the threat is nonexistent at which point looking at your holster shouldn't matter.

>>31794283
Compare the Glock 36 to the Officer frame. Comparing firearms in two separate calibers is disingenuous.
>>
>>31794283

>7+1
Only with factory mags.
Nobody who has a 1911 for serious use uses 7 round mags.

>weight
Those are both inaccurate, and comparing loaded weight would make a lot more sense

>Trigger: 5.5 lbs
That's a complete lie. Glock triggers are not 5.5 lbs from the factory, regardless of what they claim.

>ease of reloading
lolwut
The 1911 is easier because it actually ejects the empty magazine, and the slide release is easier to hit
>>
>>31794530
>The 1911 is easier because it actually ejects the empty magazine,
>mildly depress mag release
>magazine drops like a tweens panties at a One Direction concert

Explain
>>
>>31794557

The 1911 ejects the magazine using the spring pressure of the magazine follower, meaning it has a certain amount of force behind it.
If for example you held a 1911 upside down and hit the mag release, the mag would jump up a bit.

Glock magazines simply fall free, and if you're holding the pistol at an odd angle, or your hand is putting friction on the mag, it might not clear the gun very easily.

It's not a big deal, but the Glock certainly isn't easier to reload.
>>
>>31794587
>It's not a big deal, but the Glock certainly isn't easier to reload.

I just assumed this was a glock issue. Do other firearms require you to slap the magazine in? I mean it looks and sounds awesome but it is annoying as shit when I slid the magazine in and it won't lock unless I get speed behind it.
>>
File: QK.jpg (82KB, 950x596px) Image search: [Google]
QK.jpg
82KB, 950x596px
>>31794530

There's also no such thing as a slide release only a slide stop. Slide "releases" require fine motor skills which immediately degrade during an adrenaline dump.
>>
>>31794609

Actually that's wrong.

The 1911 was intended to be easily manipulated with 1 hand, and the slide release was 100% intended to be used to release the slide.
>>
>>31794642
The design is irrelevant. It's still a fine motor skill opposed to racking the slide back which is what you should do unless your other hand is incapacitated or busy.
>>
>>31794668

>It's still a fine motor skill opposed to racking the slide back which is what you should do unless your other hand is incapacitated or busy.

The 1911 was literally designed for cavalry use, and therefore was intended to be used 1 handed, and the slide stop intended to be used to release the slide.

Also,
>It's still a fine motor skill
The entire act of reloading is a fine motor skill.
If you can't hit a slide stop, how are you supposed to
-hit the mag release
-reach for a new mag
-remove that mag from the pouch
-insert the mag
-then release the slide (regardless of how you do it)
>>
>>31794473
wtf I hate my XD now
>>
>>31791264
>glock salesman
>>
>>31794668
Guess what, fagatron, pulling the trigger is a fine motor skill.
>>
>>31794668
If people can't use slide releases in combat, how do they do mag changes?
>>
>>31791350
I owned a XDS, and found it to be an unenjoyable aspect of the firearm.
>>
>>31796570
Any particular reason why?
>>
>>31792370
10+1. I use a plus one floorplate, so it's 11+1. I love it, one of my favorite carries.
>>
>>31796580
Not him but grip safety on a gun with a trigger safety seems redundant and outdated
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.