[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My LGS has a 10.5in AR that I've been considering for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1083.jpg (147KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1083.jpg
147KB, 800x536px
My LGS has a 10.5in AR that I've been considering for my next purchase for a camping gun, but I'd like /k/'s opinion. I'd hate to be "undergunned", in case I cross paths with a pissed-off moose or something. But it's a great deal, and feels very light and handy.
>>
Mag dumping into a moose will kill it no matter what caliber you use anon.
>>
>>31790785
Well, I know 7.62x39 will do a bear-my friend stopped one with 5 rounds out of his Vz.58. I know it's kind of a dumb question, I just don't know much about ARs or 5.56. I'm just getting into it.
>>
>>31790785
yeah you could dump a mag into a moose with this and itd drop quick.
>>
>>31790863
If you could afford mag dumping with that you'd probably have someone with you who'd magdump with something bigger
>>
i wouldnt trust 5.56 for large game. not saying it cant be done, but why decrease your chance of success (whatever that success might be, in this case protecting yourself).
you might not have time to shoot 30 rounds at a charging target
>>
>>31790756
I wouldn't use the term "undergunned" persay, but it isn't the most powerful rifle you could carry. Using the right kind of fragmenting ammunition (like Mk318 or similar) it would be a great weapon for two legged critters at closeish range. I have a 12.5 with irons and it is more than effective and accurate inside 150~ or so yards.
For big animals... I'm sure it would be fine, using some ammunition that penetrates deeply like M855 would be pretty interesting, but again, there are many far better options.

Another thing you'll have to consider is dealing with the ATF, it took me 7 months for my sbr stamp to get through, and it was quite a hassle getting everything put together.

All in all, it's a really cool rifle, one of the most interesting you could possess. If it's available at a reasonable price, then go for it. If you can build one even better. But you might want to consider something else for defense against the 'squatch.
>>
>>31790986
Oh btw I should add that I hike with the thing all the time, it's about 7 lbs loaded, really nice to carry around. I mean make-your-friends-jealous lightweight and handy. But I'm in Ohio so it can deal with anything I could encounter.
>>
>>31790756
I understand the thought-my favourite camping spot has a moose trail nearby, and I'm constantly twitchy when I walk trails around there. But it's more about situational awareness than any one weapon system in moose country. Make noise, be aware, and if you see a moose, give it as wide a berth as possible and speak gently.

That being said, an AR will certainly do the job, it just isn't ideal.
>>
>>31790756
yep first thing i'd say is why not build one? An AR pistol you could use immediately without any ATF fuckery?

Speaking as to the 10.5" barrel/much smaller footprint:
From a practical standpoint, 10.5" is the perfect length. It's the shortest barrel that still delivers probability of fragmentation and relative accuracy (mine prints combat effective groups at 200 yard w/ irons). Considerations: inherently less accurate, lethal, and reliable that longer-barreled counterparts. Just the nature of the beast...but I've never had a single issue with reliability (strict diet of X/M193), accuracy is relatively good, and the mobility benefits are considerable
>>
>>31790756

SCAR 17 is the answer
>>
>>31790863
Well, you can custom make a 1000 round mag for that, and it'll probably kill a moose with enough time.
>>
>>31791123
So out of a shorter barrel, what kind of ammo is best? I'm still kind of torn vs an 11in Vz.58, but the AR comes with a bunch of crap, like an ACOG and different furniture.
>>
>>31791472
Considering you want high velocity to maximize chances of fragmentation, I'd highly recommend M193 (55 grain FMJ). Low weight is conducive to higher velocities, and M913 is the lightest milspec ammo

Sounds like the AR might be a somewhat appealing package deal (ACOG might serve a 16" barrel better ha). I'd love to justify something interesting like a VZ.58, but the AR is so ubiquitous, reliable, and accessible (from both a market and maintenance standpoint) that if you don't already have one, you probably should

my $0.02 chief
>>
>>31791573
Yeah, that's what appeals to me. I want to build a nice AR in a bit, but this one is the same price as a Vz.58 with a bunch of crap. It's used, but lightly. And the optic alone is worth that much. Plus, I'm better with an AR than a Vz, having extensively shot both.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.