[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, read the stic/k/y and I thought this might be somewhat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: lazze.jpg (155KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
lazze.jpg
155KB, 700x467px
Hey guys,
read the stic/k/y and I thought this might be somewhat of an interesting topic

I got into pic related a coupla months ago for entertainment purposes, like to take it camping and shine it at stuff [safely] (/sci/fag).
I also own an SKS but that's besides the point.

My question is, would this be a feasible defensive tool?
I was recently nearly mugged at knife point because I don't live in the nicest of areas and had to run.

The particular laser I have pulses just over 3W of power which can effectively blind someone for life at over 100 yards/meters, but can be dilated or 'unfocused' to a """nonlethal""" wavelength.

In terms of effectiveness, how suitable would something like this work at engaging someone from a distance.
Or does the risk outweigh the benefit?
Thanks guys
>>
>>31783981
another thing that I should mention is that anyone who uses these things for shining at aircraft or automobiles should do the world a huge favor and shine it in their eyes point blank
>>
>>31783981
>>31784006
AND ONE more thing, when I say "effectively blinding someone at over 100 yards/meters" this literally entails briefly passing it over someone or something's eyes for a fraction of a second
>>
>>31783981
just buy a lightsaber, much more effective
>>
File: best laser.jpg (48KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
best laser.jpg
48KB, 625x350px
>>31784053
>inb4
>>
Just get one of those really powerfull flashlights security guards use, the kind that has a strobe function. Point in their general direction and strobe while running your pasty ass away.

A lot more effective for temporarily disabling people (since you don't have to shine the point of the beam into their eyes) and you don't have to worry about being sued or arrested for blinding someone (fun fact: if you were a soldier and used a blinding weapon, that's a war crime!).
>>
>>31784066
the model I have can do this, I just 'lower' the power and activate the strobe feature.

my question is regarding more lethal encounters that carry more risk
for example, an obviously dangerous dog approaching you etc
>>
>>31784066
>>31784087

or rather let me distill it further and give a black and white scenario.

where I live, I can not carry a firearm
you can not even carry a serious knife, if a cop sees it - its gone + you get a ticket or even charged

The laser is completely legal. So, would it be worthwhile to use in dangerous cases? It has a relatively far operating distance. How would it size up vs. a criminal gunman or someone with a knife.

Keep in mind its easy to operate and aim, you click the button and you can see the laser even on the brightest of days.
>>
>>31784087
I mean, do whatever you need to do to not die, but that said:

If you have the means to engage from a distance, you probably have the means to disengage safely without conflict. If you can't avoid conflict then use it, but keep in mind the regular rules for firearm safety (in case doggo's owner is behind it and you accidentally blind him).

I wouldn't use it in any situation that wouldn't also warrant the use of a firearm (e.g. armed mugging). Since you might end up responsible for hospital bills, etc, you want to be absolutely sure there was no way to disengage without conflict.

With all that said, if you are confident that you can effectively use your laser as a weapon, go for it.
>>
>>31784146

so, in a sense, it could be categorized or carry similar effects as firearms.
I appreciate the practicality my dude, it paints a much clearer image.
Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_4868.jpg (680KB, 1280x883px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4868.jpg
680KB, 1280x883px
>>31784066
This
$50
For 1,000lux

See shit in the dark.
Blind people, hit people with it.
Other useful tool uses.
>>
File: 20150608_173825resize.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20150608_173825resize.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>>31783981
You can't change the wavelength just by "unfocusing" it.
It's still extremely harmful to eyes unfocused, and 3W will go quite a ways.

And you're correct, they are not toys and will irreparably harm you or anyone you shine it at.
Always wear laser rated goggles and never shine at aircraft or cars.

I don't need any more retards fucking up another one of my favorite hobbies.

>t. laserfag for 10 years
>>
>>31784199
I have a high powered flash light, just without a strobe feature.

The point I was trying to get at was the effectiveness of the laser when a having a gun is not possible.

My specific problem occurred like this
>be going home from school late (uni grad student)
>get off bus
>50 pound backpack filled with manuals, reports, books and laptop
>notice some guys across the street walking towards my direction
>minorities.jpg
>they start crossing the street saying saying:
"ey wassup, watchu you got in yo bag nigga"
>the usual shit
>one guy pulls a knife maybe 15 meter or 20 yards away from me
and at that point I just hauled ass and ran

so, I could have had any weapon I wanted except for a gun. would I engage them with a knife of my own? No. Would I use mace? Not effective enough IMO.

this sparked my idea about the laser
>>
>>31784235
yes, I know. I was just trying to be as layman as possible for the sake of a general understanding without going into diffraction etc
>>
>>31784235
also

did I fugg up buy purchasing the Arctic senpai?
>>
>>31784265
Again, diffraction has nothing to do with the wavelength the laser puts out.
That's all in the diode.

I'm betting you have a 445nm blue laser?

>>31784282
I didn't think Wicked was still in business after the whole FDA crackdown.
I'm guessing you're not American, then?

Wicked's lasers are notoriously overpriced and underpowered, unfortunately.
There are plenty of other reputable laser dealers out there that you can get pretty much the same thing now (same host, same diode) for a better price.
>>
>>31784348
Oh I see what you're implying, I can diverge the beam with little increase in wavelength, I suppose the function directly affects the diode as opposed to the aperture, too much microscopy recently - sorry

I do have that laser, and I live in Canada. The laser was an impulse buy, but, what can I say I swallowed the blue pilled marketing this time.
so far so good but it would be good to know whats out there.
>>
What do you even do with hoby lasers?
>>
>>31784413
its actually quite fun and interesting
>>
>>31784413

sorry I misread your question

you literally point it at stuff and into the sky
and you light your cigarettes with it.

but the idea behind this thread was to discuss their potential use as effective self defense weapons
>>
File: IMG_4933.jpg (331KB, 899x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4933.jpg
331KB, 899x645px
>>31784247
All they do is blind or burn skin.
Not lethal or that powerfully painful.

Takes to much fine motor skill in the heat of the moment.

If you use it in self defense, the cops will have a feild day with it.

Get a taser, or wait till those lasers can go through you.
>>
>>31784413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0

Burn the shit out of things!
>>
File: 1473999553289.jpg (148KB, 850x515px) Image search: [Google]
1473999553289.jpg
148KB, 850x515px
I'm imagining how this would go down.

>OP pulls out his fancy wide-angle laser
>roodypoo exclaims "EY YO MOTHAFUGG--"
>roodypoo is now suffering partial blindness in one or both eyes
>roodypoo immediately starts yelling "BLAP! BLAP!" while making a punching motion with gun in hand and firing single rounds of 9mm from his hi-point
>OP is severely distressed at this outcome, decides to book it but gets hit with an errant 9mm
>roodypoo regains enough eyesight to finish the job

OP is kill.
>>
>>31784066
My Thrunite TN15 (Chinese shit, but somewhat worthwhile if you don't need the pressure switch endcap) worked well enough to blind and scare away the neighbor's stupid ass Boxer dog.
>>
>>31784436
>>31784445
these are
>implications

and I can make
>implications
as well

first of all. I can make the beam as large as your head with extremely little loss in power. I don't have to aim for your eye

secondly, in >>31784445 's scenario the beam would almost immediately and permanently blind the gentleman known as roody-poo who would PROBABLY try to shield his now fucked up eyes instead of firing at me WHO HAS started moving

OP can go home and fap
>>
>>31784445
the idea is to compare it to other self defense tools. how would a knife or mace size up in this case? would a taser even give me a fighting chance?
I don't have a gun, what do I do?
>>
>>31784472
I think he could do both.

His immediate concern would be preventing his victim from fucking his shit up, I presume.
>>
>>31784494
anything is possible but I'm getting at this topic with this thread >>31784493
>>
>>31784129
Without knowing where you live, I can tell you that it's probably bullshit.

Just because you can own a laser does not mean it is legal for you to use it in a self defense scenario. Especially if knives are illegal. I'd be happy to look at your local laws if you're comfortable telling me your state, or country if non-American.

t. lawfag
>>
>>31784504
don't you love ambiguity?

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-1/page-1.html
>>
File: IMAG0257.jpg (642KB, 1952x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0257.jpg
642KB, 1952x3264px
>>31784412
Once again, the wavelength will almost remain static unless you are putting it through some sort of coated refraction lens/prism.
All you're doing is beam divergence, which will drop it's power/intensity, if only slightly.

>Canada, eh?
Well my Canadian friend you don't have the FDA to deal with but do you have any regulatory agency that you have to go though?
Or is it just buy and receive?

Are you a member of Laser Pointer Forums?
If not go sign up and read read read.
Especially the reviews and testing stuff.
You should be able to find more than a few reputable dealers that people recommend, with high quality stuff.

I'll admit it's been awhile since I was heavy into the laser scene, and there have been some insane leaps in strength since I was last in it.
With that said, check out http://www.survivallaser.com/

They can no longer ship their "kits" in the states (My 1.3W 445nm blue kit was from them) but you should be able to get one no problem.
And the "kits" are basically just screw it together easy, and they give you the tool(s) (an allen wrench).

>This is the one I have, with a G2 lens
http://www.survivallaser.com/Survival_Laser_14_445nm_Laser_wAccessories___Rechargeable_Batteries/p556088_4907080.aspx

There's also O-Like out of England. http://o-like.com/

They sell inexpensive Chinese lasers, but if you look at some of the reviews on LPF they seem to be on the slightly overpowered side.

If you're serious about getting more you might want to invest in a Laserbee or some sort of laser measuring device.

And to your original query, don't try and use it as a defensive weapon.
You will get fucked (not that the guy will be able to pick you out of a line up though)

Just have fun with it, safely, and try to avoid shitty situations.
>Have a very old beamshot
>>
>>31784523
>http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-1/page-1.html

>Canada

Not ambiguous at all, you were just looking at the wrong section, lad.

Cut and dry really, second 2 of our Criminal Code.

When determining what a weapon is :

>anything designed to be used as a weapon;

>anything that a person uses as a weapon, whether that thing is designed as a weapon or not; and

>anything that one intends to use as a weapon regardless of its design.

i. Did the accused in fact use the object to cause death or injury, or to threaten or intimidate any person?
ii. Did the accused intend to use the object to cause death or injury or to threaten or intimidate any person?
iii. Was the object being carried by the accused designed to be used in causing death or injury to any person, or for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person?

Basically, if you have a damn good excuse for having your laser pack with you (working in lasers, taking your laser kit home to do laserology or whatever dumb shit), you could probably get off on the argument that you were not carrying it as a weapon.

If you've been stopped by the cops multiple times over your laser or you CLAIM you're carrying it for self-defense, it becomes a weapon and you're going to get fucked by our friendly Self Defense Laws (which basically boil down to fuck you)
>>
>>31784547
>>anything that a person uses as a weapon, whether that thing is designed as a weapon or not; and

Kill me now

>Weapons are illegal but also if you use something that isn't a weapon the same way you'd use a weapon, it's now a weapon too
>>
>>31784544
anything over 499mW is technically illegal to import (buy) or to distribute (sell) - but if you own it you own it and it's not illegal to carry.
Consider your post screencapped my friend, thanks for all the links!
>>
>>31784551
Yes.

A piece of broken glass, bear spray, a handful of car keys and even a car itself can and have been classified as weapons ***ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS***. It's ultimately up to the discretion of the judge residing over a case to agree with the claim of a prosecutor attempting to establish something used in a self defense/assault scenario as a weapon.

If I was a defense lawyer, I'd try to downplay how ridiculous someone carrying a laser for self defense is, and try to cite my client's work or hobby use as reason he had it on him. Might go over okay.

If I was a prosecutor though, I'd probably try to bring up the uncommonness of the laser, the difficulty of acquisition and the unlikeliness that someone would have an extremely powerful laser not only assembled, but concealed on their person in such a fashion that they were able to reach it and use it against an attacker in an emergency situation. That's extremely unlikely and probably the point where you'd be fucked and have the laser established as a weapon and get fucked.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>31784560
Glad to help.
It's funny, my first laser came from a now defunct company out of Canada called Nova Lasers.
125mw (peaking at 138) greenie that cost me a pretty penny.
Still works though, some 12ish years later.

Might have to get back into it, but I keep blowing money on guns ammo and mags.
Every time I take my lasers to people's houses or outdoor parties they are a huge hit.
Had some guy want to buy my blue for $500, but since he was retarded and I felt unsafe I said no.
>Can't have fuckheads screwing up my hobby more than the FDA has already done.

Thanks for the nostalgia OP, be safe and happy lasing.
>>
>>31784547

This thread is not particularity discussing the legality of my hypothetical scenario. If you would read the thread I mention numerous times regarding the effectiveness of the laser, the same way we would compare a particular knife and a sword. But, since I mentioned it was legal to carry I'll play along.

It is illegal to buy or cell class 3B lasers or higher, on the other hand, it is not illegal to import parts to build it.

Furthermore, lasers can come with attachments that essentially turn them into high powered flashlights as seen here;
http://www.wickedlasers.com/phosforce
Does this change things, I can certainly carry a flashlight around can't I? The laser itself? Sheer coincidence perhaps?
>>
>>31784568
you're also forgetting about my white privilege
>>
>>31784600

I'm not doubting the effectiveness; I'm sure if you scored a direct hit on someone's eyes, it would blind them. Whether they would immediately panic-magdump on you or not with success is questionable but legally, >>31784568

Whichever side makes a better argument that it's reasonable/unreasonable for you to have it on you will determine how hard you get fucked.

If a Canadian judge was like "Yeah this guy just had a flashlight on him and defended himself", might be okay. But if the judge was like "You were clearly needlessly carrying a high powered laser with you to use as self defense and maimed a man causing permanent blindness", well, hello jail.
>>
>>31784627

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>31784626
The judge made the right call, there was no privilege. The media and advocate groups got their panties in a bunch and declared he was a rapist, but rape HAS a legal definition that does not end where hurt feelings begin.

He did not put his penis inside of her vagina; there was no evidence of her vaginal mucous on his penis or his semen in her vagina. He freely admitted that he finger banged her a bit. Digital penetration (ie fingerbanging) is NOT considered rape under the eyes of the law.

He was found guilty of three felonies: assault with intent to rape an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.

Absolutely crazy but 3 years of probation and 3 months of prison time for fingerbanging a girl in an alley after she got you drunk at a party (when you're not legally old enough to buy alcohol) is still completely brutal.

(Offtopic, but whenever the public weighs in on legal proceedings, I get triggered hard)
>>
>>31784443
This kid will work for DARPA some day
And I'll be happy for him
>>
>>31784644
this was meant for an ironic effect

I appreciate your pragmatism but you gotta cut me slack here (pls)

Who's gonna get fugged here?
the MSc student with a high powered flashlight/laserbeam?

or big dick tyrone who already has a record and tried to rob me with a weapon?
>>
>>31784644
>>31784656

you gotta admit I'd have a decent case, even if I permanently damage his vision
>>
>>31784656
20 years ago? Tyrone.

Modern 2016 Canada?

Ha ha ha

ha ha ha

He a good boy dindu nuffin wrong need mo money for dem programs this white affluent rich devil clearly constructed a racist African-Destroying-Laser from the internet at the behest of the extreme far right hate group 4Chans

Good luck.
>>
>>31784644
Fun fact : Liberals were so assblasted by the judge *only* giving him 3 years of probation with 6 months of jail time that they drafted bill 701, which was unanimously passed by Commiefornia legislature.

It literally means if a girl is drunk, and she tells you to fingerbang her, and you fingerbang her, and then decides to tell the police, you will be facing a MANDATORY MINIMUM sentence of 3 YEARS for rape. Digital penetration is now considered rape. And an intoxicated woman (of any degree) legally cannot provide consent.

Although if you're drunk as a man and a girl decides to blow you, and you wake up and decide you DID NOT WANT THE BLOWIES, too bad. You're a man, and that means you're responsible for your actions.

I'll be over here being triggered.
>>
>>31784665
not in my area of TO lennyface
>>
>>31784676
GET TRIGGERED BUDDAY

http://thevarsity.ca/2015/09/24/utsu-sues-former-executive-director-president-vice-president-internal-and-services/
>>
>>31784698
I'm in Trinity Bellwoods and I've seen more Jamals get away with dumber shit than I'd like.

I'm moving out of Ontario ASAP though.
>>
>>31784676
Don't sleep with drunk chicks then, unless they're the only ones you can convince to sleep with you.
>>
>>31783981
On the upside, the only description they'll be able to give the police would be "Bitch ass nigga had a god damned laser" and no one would be able to find you.

I'm on board with Operation Blind Minorities
>>
>>31784743
The trouble is that you're not the one who gets to make that call.

You take a woman out for dinner and she has a glass of wine and seems totally sober, invites you up for sex, consents, and you fuck her. The next day her boyfriend finds out and confronts her, and she panics and goes to the police and says you raped her because she was drunk.

You're now fucked. This isn't a "girl is blackout drunk and can't move and I violate her" scenario.
>>
>>31784731
I hate this area with a passion, and I particularly hate Queen West

I don't know why anyone would live in that part of town unless their gai or some starving student

Mt. Dennis reporting over here
>>
File: american-psycho-w1280.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-w1280.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
>>31784743
>>
>>31784757
I work as a paralegal and I'd rather live here amongst some libshit hippies than try to commute here and back and deal with train-peasants or insane traffic.
>>
>>31784766
fair enough, cheers to that

anyways I have a midterm to invigilate in two hours and then a lab to teach

catch ya later
>>
Love how this thread went from high power lasers to date rape.
>>
>>31784751
>has a glass of wine
Not going to stand up in court as 'drunk' then is it, especially with a meal.
Don't fuck drunk chicks, no drama then.
>>
>>31784890
it doesnt have to "stand up in court"

the accusation is enough to ruin your life, cost you a job or personal relationships and even if it gets thrown out at a preliminary trial for lack of evidence you're still out $5,000 to $20,000 for lawyers fees, depending on retainer and how much you value your freedom
>>
>>31784627
>"You were clearly needlessly carrying a high powered laser with you to use as self defense and maimed a man causing permanent blindness"
What if you blind him and THEN kill the attacker? Gorge his eyes out so nobody could tell you blinded him.
>>
File: 1477319358451.jpg (190KB, 1200x859px) Image search: [Google]
1477319358451.jpg
190KB, 1200x859px
>>31784823
>rape lazers

>>31784777 noice
>>
>>31784235
>You can't change the wavelength just by "unfocusing" it.
this! i was astounded how can anyone say something so retarded.
>>
>>31784445
i could make a laser gun that has face recognition and actively seeks pupils, you you only have to loosely aim it at someones face and pull the trigger.
i think i could use a mini-pc board like a rabbbit or raspberry.
the aiming would be done by reflecting the laser back from a moving mirror kinda like some barcode readers.
>>
>>31787811
Do ITTTTT
I want this
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.