[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>3D printers are getting better/cheaper how long until we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 19

>3D printers are getting better/cheaper

how long until we can print reliable Lowers?
>>
>>31783887

You more or less can. The ones I've seen have fired hundreds of rounds with no errors.
>>
>>31783896
link?
>>
>>31783906

https://3dprint.com/54163/printedfirearm-ar10-piece/
>>
>>31783965
I'm not convinced yet
>>
Does anyone on /k/ own a 3D printer? How do you get over the obnoxious community surrounding them?

Pic related is seriously what most makers look and think like, literal nu-male cucks.
>>
>>31784013

Okay
>>
>>31784020

The local makerspace where I hang out has several of them, and a couple of serious 3D printer experts. According to them, the two most common plastics printed (PLA and ABS) are simply not up to the beating that they get in a firearm. These people know what they are talking about, because at least one of them is a serious shooter.

At this time, 3D printed guns are a novelty item. The technology to print a really robust one just doesn't exist yet.
>>
Pretty sure a dedicated .22lr AR-15 could hold up with a printed lower receiver.
>>
>>31784251
are there any .STLs for this?
>>
>>31784176
Well, of course they lack the strength necessary to replace metals in like some think. But I what I wonder is; if ABS is used in a Glock, then is modern 3d printing good enough to use polymer in non-critical areas like they are used today or is the bonding still too frail?
>>
>>31784176
I do a lot of 3D printing on my own machine and that about sums it up. PLA is shit tier and made from Corn. It's super brittle and would just break. ABS is pretty sturdy by plastic standards, but its still going to deform under stress.

If you can get something tougher like Delrin, that might work out. Keep in mind that there's a whole world of 3D printing in advanced materials, but it requires expensive machines that are beyond that desktop bots most people think of in regard to 3D printing. So it may be true that someone 3D printed a functional lower, but it could still be a $10k machine in a machine shop. For hobby tier printers (less than $1,000) you can't do much. For more series ones ($1,000-$2,000) you might be able to handle something like Delrin.

I'd try printing some lowers myself if I had the files. I see that Delrin filament exists, but not sure my printer can use it.
>>
>>31784313
injection molding results in vastly superior properties compared to 3D printing. also, Glock uses a glass-reinforced nylon as opposed to ABS
>>
File: kgQMXqN[1].jpg (80KB, 531x952px) Image search: [Google]
kgQMXqN[1].jpg
80KB, 531x952px
TITANIUM SON
pic related its a 3d printed titanium supressor
>>
>>31784313
There's a big difference to 3D printing vs injection modeling (or however they do it in glocks.) First there is the bonding issue like you say, but more there are likely to be either air pockets, or inconsistent density of plastic, even if it's solid, due to inconsistent heating and cooling of different areas as the layers are put down. This will cause certain areas to be weaker. It's basically the same sort of problem you get in pig iron vs cleaner steel.
>>
You'd have much better luck getting a desktop CNC and machining your own receiver.
>>
>>31783887
we already can, they just aren't dimensionally identical to aluminium lowers. There is a schematic for one which has fired 600+ rounds without failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ihbzNFoM0
>>
>>31784361
Truth. And you can get those for ~$1500, which is the same price as decent desktop 3D printers.
>>
OP it will really depend on how and if current high end tech can be scaled down.

Currently 3D printing on the consumer level is still a novelty generally. The vast majority of printers out there are FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) and the current materials available outside businesses are very limited. Like >>31784176 said ABS simply isn't up to snuff most of the time. While it is the same material Legos are made from, the layering process makes it very prone to de-lamination. Acetone vapor smoothing if done correctly can help but only so much.

The problem is to get the most out of ABS you're looking at a $20K Stratassys SE Plus or a similar machine with a heated chamber. Defense Distributed had an older Dimension SST. I haven't seen testing with Formlab's "Tough" Resin but from what I've seen most Resins simply don't hold up much better.

To make guns made with additive manufacturing practical in any sense economically means technologies like DMSL and HP's new system coming way down in cost, if it's even possible at all.

For the moment if you're serious about making guns CNCs still the way to go. I actually wanted to try to work with PETG but my shitty printers broken at the moment.
>>
>>31784176
I own a printer and I use it for engineering stuff. I am about to install a new hotend so I can print nylon which should stand up to the pressure. Not sure why all of these anons are saying a sub 1000$ printer can only print ABS and is just a novelty.
>>
>>31784707
It's not a matter of just being technically capable of extruding the material, but actually doing something practical with it.

Buddies of mine have done testing with Polycarb and some Nylon filaments and had okay results but the amount of time and effort it took on hobbyist/budget wasn't really worth it for the end result.

For most people 3D printing is a novelty, but If you're an engineer with CAD skills that device is gonna be way more useful to you since you can work within the limitations.

The problem with 3D printing as it relates to firearms is we're trying to take designs very much made for metal and adapting them to these thermoplastics. The variety of filament choices out there is way better than it was back in the day where it was pretty much just ABS and PLA. By far the biggest issue with the FDM machines other than basic usability on the lower end is lack of a heated chamber and soluble support material.

Out of curiosity what kind of printer do you have? Currently I have a Shenzhen special I can't get parts for that could produce really good prints but I either need to reverse engineer some custom parts or replace entire component assemblies to get it functional again, along with a Cube 3 I bought for $200 to play with. Even though I can't stand the software and some of the design aspects the damn thing does work well (usually).

If I had the money to blow I'd get a Cubicon Single Plus out of Korea since those are as close to a turnkey FDM solution under 5 grand as you can get.
>>
>>31784257
Not sure senpai.

You would just need a standard AR lower as you could buy the rest online.... unless Euro.
>>
>>31784176
>>31784339
>>31784609
>>31784761

Does the caliber for the AR lower make much of a difference? I imagine that a 9mm AR lower could actually last reliably, or is that still too stressful on ABS/ current hobby tier materials and equipment?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmCoBo8_n7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFPMVR8Il1s
>>
>>31784373
Link to decent cnc in that range? I know shit all about what makes a cnc "good".
>>
>>31785912
This post also interests me.
>>
>>31784373
You will not get a CNC for $1500 that isn't a poorly converted Sieg SX2 with no tooling, and even then the work envelope is not big enough to perform every operation on a billet receiver.
>>
>>31786005

No but thanks to everyone wanting CNC, you can get a manual milling machine for cheap at times nowadays.

I scored an antique Bridgeport at a selloff auction (company knocking down an old textile mill). Worth a few grand according to the ones on eBay but I got it for just over $200.
>>
>>31786029
I'll agree that older used machines are a much smarter idea for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they are generally the most rigid machines you will find for the price

You can improve the smaller hobby machines by fitting the ways and replacing the leadscrews and nuts, but they will never be as flexible as a larger machine even before you consider the work envelope.

Granted, not everyone has space for a larger mill. I am happy with the limitations of my SX2 for now, because I'll be moving around for the next few years and because my current rental is only wired for 15 amps in the garage. There are things I want to do but can't, and I have had to put some time and money into making the machine usable, but it is better than not having a mill. Don't forget that used machine prices vary wildly by location, and you do actually need to know a thing or two about the machines to avoid getting into a restoration project.
>>
>>31783887
Why don't they print the lower with the pistol grip already on it? That would add more material to the structure making it way more solid wouldn't it?
>>
File: 1460993452123.png (4MB, 2140x1739px) Image search: [Google]
1460993452123.png
4MB, 2140x1739px
post these
>>
It's cool but can you make an AK47/74?
>>
The warfairy projects had the objective of building a sturdy and reliable lower that could be 3d printed on an economical printer. These goals were met and there are a handful of commandos who put over 1k rounds through them without any signs of stress.
>>
File: 1425398092935.jpg (389KB, 1024x1161px) Image search: [Google]
1425398092935.jpg
389KB, 1024x1161px
So what do you guys think about wilson? I wonder if he still lurks around this board.
>>
File: ll.jpg (228KB, 2000x1204px) Image search: [Google]
ll.jpg
228KB, 2000x1204px
>>31784020
>caring about the actions of others.
Its a lot of fun designing shit though.
>>
Cody Wilson

Defense Disturbed

He's done it.
>>
>>31786736
Sucks if you have a problem and you can't talk to them about it because they are likely to report you out of their own ignorance.
>>
>>31787458
I suppose in that reguard ive been lucky. Ive had a friend whos been printing fir a lit longer than I have. But I bought the parts kit for the printrbot simple metal, assembled it and started printing with minimal issues.
>>
>>3D printers are getting better/cheaper
http://mashable.com/2016/07/23/3d-printed-failure/

It's a failure. They don't work and mot of the stuff they do sucks
>>
>>31786736
>shit
atleast you got that right
>>
>>31783887
friend of mine printed out a G17 made out of 100% polymer
shot ~100rounds through it
shit still works
>>
>>31788237
Yeah it was more for giggles than being useful.
>>
>>31784020
There's one at my school that's free to use
>>
>>31784020
I own a flashforge dial extruder. It can print in nylon, which is perfect for lowers.
The 3d printing "community" is pretty retarded, but the machining community is based, and they generally know their shit with 3d printing as well.
>>
>>31787770
>SD card not formatted to fat16
>laptop crashes while running the print
>file not in stl

While there is a learning curve to it, holy shit these people are whiny and these are noob issues. Most things in thingiverse are already in STL anyway. Anyone remotely tech savvy who can put together PCs and ARs can get fluent in 3D printing.

T. 3D printer owner
>>
>>31788326
link me to the cad file?
>>
>>31785787
9mm ar uppers use a direct blowback system rather than rotating bolt/direct impingment. as a result, the bolt cycling is much harder on your lower than with a standard ar.
>>
File: 1473879853433.jpg (445KB, 1747x992px) Image search: [Google]
1473879853433.jpg
445KB, 1747x992px
>>31788453
Ah I see, dammit.
>>
>>31784313
Some guy got a working 10/22 out of a 3d printer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPAkHZxs5Q
>>
>>31786305
The AR's safety detent and spring are inside the top of the grip so it has to be removable to install or replace those parts.
>>
>>31783965
>>31783896
ar10 magic
>>
>>31783887
There are 3d printers that use metal, ya know.
Pic related, that's 3d printed.
>>
>>31789093
Right now they're prohibitively expensive though. Consumer level printers can only do plastic-metal hybrid filaments right now.
>>
>>31789230
>>31789093
How much for the machine+materials?
>>
>>31787770
surprise women cant into technology
>>
>>31789860
SLS printers are like 200k, not sure about the material though. You'll also need supply of inert gas because process works a bit like a welder. The machines are pretty big too so hope you've got the space
>>
>>31789093
What kind of metals? Is it the equivalent of building something up with a MIG welder?
>>
>>31789860
>>31789930
Also the material is a fine metal powder (SLS stands for solid laser sinterng, so its like a mix between welding and powder metallurgy), so you gotta worry about careful handling of a potentially hazardous material, since breathing in metal powder is not exactly healthy
>>
>>31789984
This
The material is relatively cheap though, at around $50/kilogram
>>
>>31784354
But that's an industrial printer. I wonder if there's a open source industrial printer where you can build like the hobby ones.
>>
File: 1471434119688.png (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471434119688.png
50KB, 500x500px
>>31789930
>>31789984
Ok, and is the SLS printer + proper material + space a one stop shop? Rifled barrel and everything? Are there any components that need to be aquired elsewhere?
>>
>>31791329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJyf1IrHtcE
https://www.stratasysdirect.com/blog/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun/
>Weā€™ve been getting a lot of questions (which is lovely) so I wanted to address a few of them here.
>The gun is 45ACP. Itā€™s rifled and the rifling was built directly into the part ā€“ or as we like to say, ā€œgrownā€ into the part ā€“ using 3D Printing. This gun has NOT BEEN MACHINED.
>We used hand tools for some post processing (our finishers are wonderful), but we did not machine this gun. Itā€™s born this way.

>>31790951
http://reprap.org/wiki/OpenSLS
It's not exaclty the same, but they work the same way. I suppose it works like that to be compatible with most slicers already out.
>>
File: 1469909626121.jpg (103KB, 448x452px) Image search: [Google]
1469909626121.jpg
103KB, 448x452px
>>31791701
That is so fucking cool
>>
>>31784020
>how do you get over the obnoxious community

By not talking about it or interacting with said obnoxious community.
>>
File: 3D-Printing_1[1].jpg (70KB, 582x437px) Image search: [Google]
3D-Printing_1[1].jpg
70KB, 582x437px
there is an inherent flaw in printed plastic. anything made is essentially a stack of welds.

though photopolymer continuous draw printers might be able to produce something that acts like a single solid piece.
>>
If a gun ban happens, what's stopping the government from banning all AR parts in general, not just lower receivers?

I understand that receivers are the only part that has a serial number and therefore is the part that is consider the firearm, but they can change that, right?
>>
>>31784176
Dude, there's several new filaments out there that I can name off of the top of m head, that all outperform PLA and ABS.

And if you get that Continuous Fiber Reinforcement printer from Markforged, that does hsht fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, Nylon, fucking Kevlar n shit, and you can make just under anything that you'd use Aluminum mostly for, sort of. With the HSHT Fiberglass, you pretty much can print off a heavy duty Glock with the same dimensions, while having something that will definitely last longer. Carbon Fiber and CF impregnated polymers already are stronger than aluminum but don't have the same wear resistance, and actually don't do well with acids and shit like that.

In many ways, it cheaper and probably easier to just get a CNC rig going.

The issue is the AR15 platform. What needs to be made is cheap AR18/SCAR 16 uppers that people can slap onto printed lowers, no problem. Lowers that take AR15 parts, but don't have any of the stress issues.

I'm honestly surprised Ares Armory or the like, hasn't popularized the idea using polymer 80% lowers that are basically impossible to fuck up SCAR lowers, that can take a metal insert that make it last indefinitely.
>>
>>31789984
Nigga what?

Its METAL powder, the shit doesn't dust up unless you're literally throwing it into the air.

And it's all contained within the machine. At worst, the machine dumps out the dust, recycles it, you pick up your part, dust off the rest and go your way.

>>31791329
Not a part but you do need to have some serious electrical work done to your power grid in order to use a SLS printer, being it does use a fucktarded powerful laser to weld metal dust.
>>
File: 20141029_131614.jpg (257KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
20141029_131614.jpg
257KB, 1632x1224px
>>31784020
I do. Just printed pic-related
>>
>>31784176
Thoughts on using stratasys ultem or PC?
>>
>>31789230
You can also just do the standard glass reinforced plastic that they do in blowmold and injection applications, but it's harder to seat the glass correctly in 3d print. It's gotten better though that shit is tough but you have to be careful of heat.
>>
>>31791934
>trying to ban literally a pipe with scratches inside it
>>
>>31792114
Filament color matches, this is legit.
>>
>>31783896
Yeah I mean there are some common failure areas after a while like the tower part that the buffer tube threads into, but you can definitely make a lower that will make an AR go bang for a few hundred rounds. I think there are more robust designs that incorporate metal reinforcements between stages of plastic printing (you print half of it, pop a metal strip in, then print the other half, for instance).

I think the real subversive value of 3D printing is in torrenting and mass producing 30 round PMAGs after they get banned by the Make America Common Sense Safe Again Act or whatever.
>>
>>31783887
You already can, it's just fuck all expensive.

But I understand what you meant. Will they get more common with cheaper, better 3D printers? Probably, given that plastic lowers work fine if thick and durable enough.

For now it's cheaper to get a small drill press and stamp out lowers.
>>
>>31792176
Where I live all working part of guns are considered guns and have to be registered, that includes barrel, slide, bolt carriers, revolver cylinders, magazines. I'm not sure about stocks.
Do never underestimate how retarded things can get and be thankful you aren't europoor.
>>
>>31791934
given the sheer saturation of AR style guns in the US, enforcing a ban to that degree would be impossible and it'd end up making a large portion of citizens criminals
>>
File: The plot thickens.jpg (303KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
The plot thickens.jpg
303KB, 800x600px
>>31792114
Wait a fucking second...
Are you the anon from that 50 bmg thread?
Where he stuck it up his ass?
>>
>>31792603
>I recognize that projectile dildo!
>>
>>31792603
Nope, proud to say I've never had anything go up my ass
>>
Don't get me wrong I think 3D printers is cool I just don't understand why people actually believe they are going to become so widespread and cheap to use. Most people have paper printers at home and they are a bitch to use and take expensive ink and severely pale in comparison to enterprise/industrial printers.

there is no reason to think that you will have an easy to use, cheap to refill, and robust enough printer to make stuff like AR lowers in the future.
>>
>>31792552
>and it'd end up making a large portion of citizens criminals

Anyone aiming for a total gun ban would probably consider this is a positive.
>>
File: 1467984267410.png (3MB, 1636x1491px) Image search: [Google]
1467984267410.png
3MB, 1636x1491px
>>31786365
>>
>>31784020
I group bought one with friends
>How do you get over the obnoxious community surrounding them?
Don't deal with them? I don't even know what you're talking about because the only time I deal with the "community" is when I'm google issues or how-tos.

Aside from trivial knickĀ·knacks or simple household items we mostly make pieces for electronics, like small cases, backplates, etc. I haven't made anything gun related yet because I don't down anything with easily swappable parts
>>
>>31792688
1. No understanding of technological and logistical scale

2. No understanding of why outsourcing happens

3. Consumer idiotism == Consumer thinks everything is about end user private consumer instead of thinking about how it works from a corporate standpoint

4. No understanding on material properties versus material structure. In the simplest term: Why a honeycomb structure works, and why cardboard is as durable despite being folded paper.

One thing is ordering replaceable spare parts. Another entirely is to print a actual new object, with a internal structure that is unfeasible for normal production.
>>
>>31784313
>comparing ABS to nylon
that's like comparing particle board to steel
>>
>>31795422

I literally cannot read this autism. I'm sure you have a solid point about something you are incapable of readily demonstrating.
>>
If people want this to be a reality they have to start pulling existing guns apart and making 3d scans or cad models of every single component.

If the designs are around people will find a way. People are going about it in reverse, building a large pool of models and data comes first. Working out how to print it is the last step. If people wait for tech to mature they will prevent models being shared. If the internet is already filled with detailed 3d scans of everything before that happens it can't be helped.
>>
File: 1475294870902.png (50KB, 400x292px) Image search: [Google]
1475294870902.png
50KB, 400x292px
>>31788360
>anon uses 3d printer to create gun parts at school

I wanna see this episode
>>
>>31795448
3D printed dragunovs when?
>>
>>31795436
he's basically saying that 3d printing is expensive as fuck when scaled up to business level deployments, which is completely true. if you already have the equipment in place it's cheaper to just use a CNC or something than to switch over to 3d printing. so basically it's unlikely 3d printing is going to have a push from the "top" that will help consumer level 3d printers.
>>
>>31783887
>reliable
Now? Lowers don't take any kind of stress. Americunts are just too stupid to d print things they havent been told to by Ghost Gunner Dot Net.

The main problem with 3d printing is that it uses bad materials and is mutually exclusive to any kind of strengthening technique like tempering.
>>
>>31795476
>a CNC

I did not read literally one other word of your post.

What do you think "a CNC" is?
>>
>>31795550
I don't know, a router?

Stop being an obtuse cunt or fuck off.
>>
>>31795474
>3D printed dragunovs when?
If some slav pulled one apart and scanned every component people would be selling them in the USA within months.
>>
File: a CNC according to k.jpg (68KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
a CNC according to k.jpg
68KB, 720x720px
>>31795560
>I don't know, a router?

>A CNC is necessarily a Router

is this a """CNC"""?
>>
>>31795476
for plastic parts, people use various types of moulding, not CNC machining. You know nothing about anything.
>>
File: CNC%20900ST%20-%202[1].jpg (499KB, 2783x2125px) Image search: [Google]
CNC%20900ST%20-%202[1].jpg
499KB, 2783x2125px
>>31795577
The fuck do you call this then?
>>
File: Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg (2MB, 2800x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg
2MB, 2800x2400px
>>31795560
???
???????????
>>
>>31795651
That appears to a CNC Router, which is different from CNC machines in general and Routers in general.

WHAT DO YOU THINK "CNC" MEANS??

protip: CNC lathes, mills, presses, and drills exist. Literally every single machine tool ever made has a CNC variant.

What do you think "CNC" means?
>>
>>31795673
well you could stop being a cunt and just tell him what CNC means
"Computer Numeric Control"
>>
>>31792688
The two normal printers at the mutimillion company I work at are used from the start of the day until the end since we do a lot of legal work. They only cost like $2,000, 15-20 years ago that kind of capability wouldn't be possible for so cheap. Cell phones used to be exrodinarily expensive and cumbersome. I don't see how you could think that easy 3d printing isn't the future.

>>31795422
You're not as smart as you think you are.
>>
File: 1462298075878.jpg (25KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
1462298075878.jpg
25KB, 355x369px
>>31795563
Pls. Any slav who hears this and has one lying around and a way to scan the parts. Pls. I will never say anything bad about slavs again.
>>
>>31797178
Getting measures is way better than scanning and takes less time.
>>
>>31795452
This. It should be done for science.
>>
>>31795474
The furniture should be feasible.
>>
>>31795563
I doubt it. There are thousands of preban dragunovs both Russian and Chinese floating around the usa easily purchaseable for any company willing to Reverse engineer them for just a few thousand dollars. It is completely viable and easier than getting measurements from those than an unknown source.

The real reason we haven't seen reproduction rifles in the us is because the market for reproduction guns is horribly niche and generally overpriced to justify the effort and production cost and tooling.
>>
>>31797594
IIRC, there was a slav who did post some vintorez (and other stuff) blueprints fairly recently (like a week ago, I think). The thread got deleted, but it should be saved on archived.moe. If anybody can find it, that is.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.