[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth the extra money for a stainless steel gun? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 7

File: rusty.jpg (67KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
rusty.jpg
67KB, 425x282px
Is it worth the extra money for a stainless steel gun? I've heard the argument that stainless will also rust, but that would mean that blued steel is even WORSE about rusting.
>>
>>31781593
I just soak my gun in rust remover every time I use it.
>>
>>31781593
If you take care of it, nothing will rust.
>>
>>31781593
There is different kinds of stainless steel, some rust more than others.
>>
>>31781593
Stainless guns are sexy as fuck, that's what makes them worth more
>>
>>31781607
But all that pitting will weaken the steel and degrade accuracy.
>>31781610
If by take care of it, you mean leave it in the safe and never use it. I want to know that my gun won't rust even if I accidentally drop it in a river.
>>
>>31781626
>If by take care of it, you mean leave it in the safe and never use it. I want to know that my gun won't rust even if I accidentally drop it in a river.
Get an AR, AK, or bolt gun.
>>
>>31781701
The action doesn't have any effect on the oxidation of the metal.
>>
>>31781626
>if I accidentally drop it in a river.
Fucking clean it afterwards you idiot. That's what I mean by "take care of it"
>>
>>31781748
That's not always an option when you're in the boonies.
>>
>>31781626
>But all that pitting will weaken the steel and degrade accuracy.
Pff, please, the heat from firing the gun basically re heat treats the steel.
>>
>>31781759
>not taking a basic cleaning kit

It's like you're asking for trouble.
>>
>>31781593
The bluing layer is a kind of rustproofing. As long as you don't let water sit on it too long, it won't rust, and even when it does "rust" the first time, it won't be ruined. It's possible to get very light rust spots, remove them with extra fine steel wool, and have the gun look good as new.
>>
>>31781779
There's no bluing inside the barrel.
>>
>>31781759
If you wipe the fucker down afterwards and oil/grease it will be fine, stop being stupid.
>>
>>31781626

Stainless has a passive layer that regenerates in the presence of oxygen. As long as it's kept relatively dry it won't rust as much. If you submerge it in water and don't dry it, it will rust.
>>
>>31781759
Carry a small can of CLP and some patches then. Just stick it in the stock.

You did get a gun with a full stock and not some extendable faggotry, right?
>>
File: yepItStillWorks2.jpg (490KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
yepItStillWorks2.jpg
490KB, 900x598px
>>31781593
>Is it worth the extra money for a stainless steel gun?

you mean as in would I buy a stainless AK if they existed? You bet your ass I would! if you can afford it, always go with stainless guns and if they have springs and small parts try to make sure those are stainless too because springs are the first thing to rust through.
>>
>>31781790
So? You should be running a patch through the bore with a bit of gun oil after cleaning anyway, and you'd have to actually submerge a gun in water to get enough water in the bore to cause problems.
>>
>>31781790
Generally a barrel is chrome lined which doesn't corrode like other metals.
>>
>>31781790
>There's no bluing inside the barrel.
no but there should be chrome which is hard as fuck and doesn't rust.
>>
>>31781819
>Generally a barrel is chrome lined
What? No. Not "generally" at all. Some rifles have chrome lining. A minority of handguns have chrome lining.

>>31781821
Do you niggers think that every rifle is a high end AR or AK?
>>
>>31781840
most rifles have a chrome lined barrel. famously Yugoslavian Zastava Mausers, SKSs and M70s don't.
>>
>>31781862
>most rifles have a chrome lined barrel.
You're an idiot.
>>
>>31781840
9/10 that it doesn't have chrome lined it will be stainless steel on the inside unless it is pleb tier.
>>
>>31781878
ok, not counting your muskets obviously....
>>
File: Gold-Cup1911-side-stainless[1].jpg (292KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gold-Cup1911-side-stainless[1].jpg
292KB, 900x600px
>>31781593

StainLESS steel, not StainNEVER. It'll still rust.

If it gets wet, you disassemble the gun, dry it thoroughly, and oil everything. Tada, corrosion minimized.

>But muh boonies
Cleaning kit and dry rags much?

>>31781819
This isn't true, at all. Military rifles generally are, hunting rifles and fudd guns not so much.

Or if all of this is too hard you do what fudds did back in the 70s and get all of your guns nickel plated; SHINY AND CHROME.
>>
>>31781862
lol no
>>
File: no face.jpg (233KB, 600x566px) Image search: [Google]
no face.jpg
233KB, 600x566px
>>31781886
>mfw a gun with a carbon steel barrel can have "stainless steel on the inside"
>mfw i have no face
This is the level of knowledge of the average /k/ poster, folks.
>>31781900
Shut up, OP.
>>
>>31781593
It's a perfectly valid concern to have, OP. If you get rained on innawoods you probably will not have access to a full cleaning kit. Oil is a finite resource and rust is just another thing you don't want to have to worry about when you have other things to do.

Most stainless steels used in guns aren't a really stainless SS though. They're just slightly more rust resistant, with the drawback that they have no surface coating. My suggestion is to get a quality made gun that has good surface coating on the affected areas. Glocks are the most rust resistant guns I've ever used. I carry mine and sweat on it in the heat and there has never been a speck of surface rust. I've completely submerged glocks and brought them out and dried them off, still no rust on the springs or anything. Carried it for days in the rain, no rust on anything.

>>31781840
Chrome lining is not a "high end" feature.
>>
>>31781918
>the average /k/ poster
Nigga the average poster can't even be that good at being retarded
>>
>>31781927
>Chrome lining is not a "high end" feature.
Oh, good to know. That explains why the cheapest AR's and AK's all have chrome-lined bores. I'm glad someone was able to shed some light on this mystery.
>>
>>31781762
Is this bait?
>>
>>31781819
>>31781821

Most civikian guns are not chrome lined, most pistols abd revolvers are not chrome lined

Granted european shotguns tend to be chrome lined but most American companies don't, even guns aimed at duck hunting.
>>
>>31781927
>oil is a finite resource

Considering that you can get YEARS of use out of a single quart of motor oil when used for guns; this is autism.

Where the heck are you going to go that you don't have access to basic cleaning supplies, and why aren't you taking them with you?
>>
>>31781593
Soldiers went through WWII with all steel guns and they were using motor oil to clean them most of the time. Everyone always gets all uppity if a gun gets a little rust on it, just wipe it off. Stainless steel is nice to have though but it still needs regular cleaning and care.
>>
>>31781918
Chrome lining goes back at least to the 50's. Even some handguns and shotguns have chrome lined barrels now. I have a shotgun with a chrome lined barrel. Almost every military rifle being produced today is chrome lined with the exception of guns like Swiss Arms which are nitrided inside and out. Really the only rifles still using uncoated carbon steel barrels are deer rifles. You're just being argumentative.

>>31781941
Uh yes exactly, chrome lining is the baseline standard for semi-auto rifles now, either that or nitriding, only because nitriding is even cheaper.

>>31781995
If I'm going backpacking in the rain in the backcountry I want to reduce weight and clutter in my backpack as much as possible. This means forgoing even a small vial of oil because it's just something else to keep up with. Instead I buy guns that don't need frequent oiling and just go without. Seems like the logical thing to do.
>>
>>31781995
>oil is a finite resource
I tink that was sarcasm dude.
>>
>>31781974
It's the product of the mind of a person who believes that "most guns are chrome-lined or have stainless in them." I.e., an idiot.
>>
>>31782021
You know nothing about guns if you think that that a majority of guns are chrome lined. It's the military standard for the AR and AK families, so I guess that means that "almost every" military rifle has it, but there are tons of companies that make civilian AR's, and many AK companies that do not chrome line their guns, and hundreds of other companies that make all kinds of firearms which don't chrome-line anything. How many firearms that Ruger produces have chrome lining? It's got to be only around 5% of the total. It's the same with every firearms manufacturer. Once again, you're an idiot who knows nothing about guns.
>>
>>31782021
>If I'm going backpacking in the rain in the backcountry I want to reduce weight and clutter in my backpack as much as possible. This means forgoing even a small vial of oil because it's just something else to keep up with. Instead I buy guns that don't need frequent oiling and just go without. Seems like the logical thing to do.
agreed but stainless guns need lube too. 100ml of lube goes with the gun just like ammo.
>>
>>31782021
>If I'm going backpacking in the rain in the backcountry I want to reduce weight and clutter in my backpack as much as possible. This means forgoing even a small vial of oil because it's just something else to keep up with. Instead I buy guns that don't need frequent oiling and just go without. Seems like the logical thing to do.
Do you leave the batteries for your flashlight at home to save weight too? You should really think of oil as almost as important to guns as the batteries are to your flashlight. The fact that you are not just tells me that you don't know anything about guns, and your continued and strange insistence that all guns apparently have chromed bores, even though they don't, is just further confirmation of the fact that you shouldn't be giving advice on /k/.
>>
>>31782021

A 1 oz bottle of CLP stuffed into the handle of an AR or in your bag neither takes much space or weighs much. Even ultralight backpacking, you're going to lose more mass the first day you eat a meal than you'd ever feel carrying it.

You should be aware that stainless steel guns have a tendency to gall if not properly lubricated. You really don't want to run them dry.
>>
>>31782083
>you think that that a majority of guns are chrome lined.
Feel free to point out exactly where I said that.
>"almost every" military rifle has it
This is correct. M4, SCAR, pretty much any AK, Tavor, HK416, Beretta ARX, AUG, they are almost all chrome lined without exception.

>>31782112
>strange insistence that all guns apparently have chromed bores
You can tag-team with the other guy and try to find where I said that.

Of course if you're counting "all" guns, the sheer number of handguns without chrome lined barrels (almost all of them) would make it so that "most all guns" do not have chrome lined barrels.

Try to keep up.

>You should really think of oil as almost as important to guns as the batteries are to your flashlight.
I know my Glock can withstand rain, dampness, and humidity for a full week without re-oiling and won't have a speck of rust. I oil before I leave and oil when I get back. Not necessary to bring it with me even if I'm hiking through a goddamn hurricane.

Keep shouting insults if it makes you feel correct though.

>>31782151
Clutter.
>>
>>31781759
I submit that I've been in the relative maximum "boonies" and managed to keep my weapon clean.

Check it out bro. You need a:
Bore snake in appropriate caliber
Silicon rag
bottle of CLP

I recommend this as part of and in addition to a proper Christian cleaning kit, but I don't care how fucked your environment is, you can wipe your bolt clean, lube it, bore snake your barrel and chamber, lube chamber, and reassemble your weapon.
>>
>>31782162
>>you think that that a majority of guns are chrome lined.
>Feel free to point out exactly where I said that.
>>31781819
>Generally a barrel is chrome lined
>>31781821
>there should be chrome
>>31781862
>most rifles have a chrome lined barrel.
>>31781886
>9/10 that it doesn't have chrome lined it will be stainless steel on the inside
>>31782021
>Chrome lining goes back at least to the 50's. Even some handguns and shotguns have chrome lined barrels now. I have a shotgun with a chrome lined barrel. Almost every military rifle being produced today is chrome lined with the exception of guns like Swiss Arms which are nitrided inside and out. Really the only rifles still using uncoated carbon steel barrels are deer rifles. You're just being argumentative.
>chrome lining is the baseline standard for semi-auto rifles now

Try to keep up.
>>
>>31781974
You really think I would be retarded enough to soak a steel barrel in ACID and not think it was fucking up the metal?

Do you also believe people who think bore snakes fuck up the rifling?
>>
File: Capture.png (38KB, 1561x334px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
38KB, 1561x334px
>>31782192
Only two of those posts are mine and there is not a single inconsistency between them.

Work on your ability to read words while also understanding what they mean :)
>>
>>31782200
>...
That's not what was said. Anon clearly said that normal firing operation of a firearm "heat treats" the barrel. No one is talking about acid or bore snakes. Address his argument.
>>
>>31782215
>Only two of those posts are mine
In the second post, you were defending the other posters, so you took responsibility for what they said. Stop trying to weasel out of the (incorrect) opinions that you expressed.
>>
>>31782220
Dude, have you not seen a barrel glow red from shooting?
The slow cooling afterwards hardens the steel, self repairing the grains in the steel.
It's basic fucking science.
>>
>>31782233
>>Almost every military rifle being produced today is chrome lined
>>chrome lining is the baseline standard for semi-auto rifles now
Both of these are still correct no matter what you believe the implications to be. Keep grasping at straws to try and discredit my argument so you can win your internet fight. You are literally trying to put words in my mouth, so you can call said words wrong, so you can be the "winner." I think this is what they call the strawman.
>>
>>31782280
That's not how you harden steel, though.
>>
>>31782284
Keep moving those goalposts.
>>
>>31782280
>It's basic fucking science.
nope, but you are a douche. you are not supposed to shoot a gun till it's red hot, this actually ruins a gun because the barrel starts to droop and remains like that when is cools down.
>>
>>31781616
stainless guns look like fucking ass man. and there is basically no way to keep the satin sheen all the pictures have either
>>
>>31782178
What is a Christian cleaning kit?
>>
>>31782324
>Drooping barrels.
This isn't a fucking cartoon, that isn't how it works.
>>
>>31782314
Do you have anything contributory to add? Or do you just come on to 4chan to nitpick arguments, even though you can't even keep up with who posted what?
>>
>>31782339
Holy lube and a young boy who can keep a secret.
>>
>>31781593
You could get nickel instead if you dont like steel.
>>
>>31782343
>This isn't a fucking cartoon, that isn't how it works.

yes it is. steel that's red hot expands and droops and in a rifle there is alot of tension between different parts.
>>
File: 1476317398630.png (461KB, 600x559px) Image search: [Google]
1476317398630.png
461KB, 600x559px
>>31782339
I mean a good full-spectrum cleaning kit you can give your weapon some love with, vice the combat slick I briefed a second ago.

I've always liked this one, it might not have all the bells and whistles, but it's the size of a hockey puck and covers all the bases.

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-3-Gun-Competition-Cleaning-System/dp/B007ZYQUNK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477280504&sr=8-5&keywords=3+gun+cleaning+kit
>>
>>31782350
>interject yourself into a conversation between two anons by defending what someone else said by elaborating on his underlying point
>someone mistakes that for your own post
>CAN YOU EVEN KEEP UP WITH THE DYNAMICS OF MY INTELLECT, JEEZ!!

Not distinguishing yourself as a new individual in a conversation between other people doesn't make you smart, no matter how much you repeat this.
>>
>>31782368
If the metal expands, won't it go up instead of drooping?
>>
>>31782343
also, if your heat steel to red hot and then slowly let it cool this woudn't harden it. in fact, that process is called Tempering.
>>
>>31782382
it can go every way depending on the stresses of the rifle but ARs and AKs will droop under gravity until the barrel can't even contain the bullet any more and it shoots ot of the side. there are plenty of vids of this on YT.
>>
>>31781840
chrome lining is not a feature in a minority of firearms. far from it in fact, its pretty typical.
>>
>>31782407
The only bullets that manage to do this are steel core, that's why they are banned.
>>
>>31782420
How many guns are there in Ruger's catalog, and how many of them have chromed bores? The other anon was unable to address these facts.
>>
>>31782427
as far as i know must of rugers barrels arent chrome lined. but a single manufacturer is hardly a majority
>>
>op is arguing with a literal idiot, or the best bait master.

I'm dying.
>>
>>31782422
even if that were true, which it is not, it makes no difference. you have no idea how annealing-hardening-tempering of steel works. rifle barrels for self loaders are explicitely made from unhardened steel to avoid issues when they get hot due to bad handling. barrels may be annealed after the rifling is cut to relieve stresses that may have been introduced into the metal during the cutting. thats it though.
>>
>>31782445
>as far as i know must of rugers barrels arent chrome lined.
>>31782420
>chrome lining is not a feature in a minority of firearms.

FASCINATING!!
>>
>>31782427
it should also probably be reiterated that even stainless will rust. there is no way around keeping good care of your rifle. my personal experience with any coating youll find on a rifle though is they wont rust provided you get a rag on it in a reasonable amount of time, so its sort of a non issue
>>
>>31782445
The reason I chose Ruger, by the way, is because they make all kinds of guns, not just handguns or not just military rifles. They make revolvers, semi-auto pistols, semi-auto rifles (not just military), bolt action rifles, long range precision rifles, safari rifles, 22's, micro concealed carry, and they pretty much check every box. They are very representative of the entire industry.

>>31782490
Agreed.
>>
>>31782480
did you just ignore the rest of the post? one manufacturer not chrome lining their barrels can hardly be considered a majority of rifles not being chrome lined.
>>
>>31782516
>one manufacturer not chrome lining their barrels can hardly be considered a majority of rifles not being chrome lined.
>>31782502
>The reason I chose Ruger, by the way, is because they make all kinds of guns, not just handguns or not just military rifles. They make revolvers, semi-auto pistols, semi-auto rifles (not just military), bolt action rifles, long range precision rifles, safari rifles, 22's, micro concealed carry, and they pretty much check every box. They are very representative of the entire industry.
>>
>>31782502
>They are very representative of the entire industry.

and not a single of their products is the best or even top tier in its category. makes you think.
>>
>>31782534
That's irrelevant to my argument.
>>
>>31781733
An AR is mostly aluminum and plastic. With a stainless or chrome lined barrel, nitrided BCG, etc. It won't rust in any normal conditions and can be easily cleaned and field stripped of you're a fucking retard and fully submerge it on water

AKs-rifle is fine

Bolt guns have 2 parts. 3 if it has an integral magazine. If you get it inundated pop it out of the stock, take the bolt from the gun, use a degreaser or rubbing alcohol on everything metal, then relube the thing.
>>
>>31782552
>An AR is mostly aluminum and plastic
it's the springs that will fail first if you abuse it.
>>
>>31782280
>>31782343
>>31782382
excessive heat warps gun barrels you literal faggot. That's why m240's and m249's are issued with spare barrels so when you blow your 200 round load going full dakka you sap the barrel off and put the cold one on so you don't damage the barrel from excessive heat. If your gun barrel is glowing re then you've straight fucked it up.
>>
>>31781701
>Get an AR, AK, or bolt gun.
F U C K
O
F
F
>>
>>31781990
This. Mossberg dosen't chrome their barrel,neither do remmington, winchester, colt, henry, marlin, ruger...etc.

>>31781593
Reading through this thread, there is this one Troll or Noguns who keeps saying all guns are chrome lined and Rugers are a minority and not representative of the market at all.
Only Italian companies like Benelli chrome their barrels on shotguns

With the exception of military and police guns, most guns are not chrome lined, most bolt action guns, lever actions and pump actions, semi auto pistols and revolvers.

I think sig and berreta chrome one or two of their offerings, but rememver thise are marketed to mall ninja operator types because thise are the obes Navy Seals yse or some bull shit.

Honestly, I'm suprised so many hunting weapons aren't chrome lined.
>>
>>31782860
It's a perfect example of why we need country flags in /k/.
>>
>>31782885
wow, racist.
>>
>>31782986
The fuck?
>>
>>31782990
you want to discriminate against people based on their nationlity=>ethnicity=>race.
>>
>>31783031
You're the real fucking racist here. If someone is on /k/, speaking English, talking about guns, and they're not American, they are most likely Canadian, South African, Australian, British, or possibly German, Israeli, Czech, Swiss, or one of the minor European countries with permissive gun laws. Which one of those are different races from what I am, which you don't even know?

Swallow my gigantic dick, you race-baiting piece of shit.
>>
>>31783067
>You're the real fucking racist here.
True. And I'm proud to be. Because if you aren't a racist, you aren't a rationally thinking and intelligent individual with life experience. If you think everybody is equal you are straight out retarded.
>>
>>31783137
Judging people as a group when they act collectively in different ways from other groups is not racism. It's called observing the world around you. Racism is by definition irrational. For example, like how you just accused me of being a racist when you know neither my race nor do you have any evidence that I'm a racist.
>>
>>31783159
>Judging people as a group when they act collectively in different ways from other groups is not racism. It's called observing the world around you.

In the world we live in, it's called racism though.
>>
>>31783159
>like how you just accused me of being a racist when you know neither my race

This is interesting for it implies that only one race can be racist....
>>
>>31783199
Don't take it out on me if you don't understand what racism means.

>>31783208
No, it doesn't. The implication seemed to be that I was some given race and all other countries are some different race.
>>
Nothing is more rust resistant than polymer framed firearm.
>>
>>31782608
That's why gun cleaning solvents are also water displacers/degreasers. Then when you clear that off you oil the damn gun.
>>
From this thread I have learned that in addition not being able to store their weapons safely americans cannot even clean and maintain them
>>
>>31783769
And they a dumb and will take the bait
>>
>>31784033
Every good bait holds at least a little bit of truth in it.
>>
>>31781593
depends on whether or not you'll be able to store it responsibly, anon.
>>
File: 1477048492835.jpg (17KB, 442x333px) Image search: [Google]
1477048492835.jpg
17KB, 442x333px
>>31782552
>>31783637
I was going to call yuo retarded but you make a good arguament, congrats.
>>
>>31782378
Is that a turtle? Man what an awesome illustration
>>
>>31782355
10"/10"
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.