[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there anything that set the British military apart during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1946 - 1972.jpg (182KB, 980x415px) Image search: [Google]
1946 - 1972.jpg
182KB, 980x415px
Was there anything that set the British military apart during World War 2 besides their obsession with commandos and useless task forces?
>>
>>31772544
Ridiculous artillery screens. The book is not coming to mind, but I've read testimony from krauts who fought against the Reds and all the Western Allies. Almost universally they said that British/Canadian barrages were what they used as a reference point for "fucking loco, esé."
>>
>>31772766

Is this actually true or did you get it from Company of Heroes?
>>
>>31772544
Losing literally their entire arsenal on a beach.
>>
>>31772544

The fact they had Aussie and Kiwi troops.
>>
>>31772544
Churchill had those fixations. He was such a hack "military strategist" and political opportunist but had a gift of making stirring speeches. Luckily, Ike could ignore his harebrained schemes.
>>
>>31772993
In the grand scheme of things, the ANZAC did only contributed relatively small role. But, from the point of view of Australia and New Zealand, it (WWI and WWII) marked their growing up from mere Dominions to real countries capable of choosing their own policies.
>>
>>31772544

One of the most overlooked things is how they functioned as an escape-zone for numerous governments in exile. Czech, Polish, French, Dutch, Belgian and such like. They took in a lot of their troops, re-equipped them and got them back in the fight. When you add together especially the French and Polish forces, that's a not inconsequential amount of troops they recovered, cared for, provided infrastructure and equipment to and gave them a chance to come back and in some cases do exceptionally well.

It's not as flashy and grand, but that "collect and rearm" policy provided a lot for the allies and for the post-war recovery period.

Their HUMINT and SIGINT was fucking god tier, and I'm not just meaning cause of Turing. They basically ran the German spy network by the end of the war. The amount of operatives they readied and got into France was not inconsequential and they had plans to do the same for Poland until Stalin denied the airfields.

Night bombing techniques were a standout, all the electronic guidance and countermeasures they developed for that were exceptionally advanced. Same for sonar, the Brits basically reinvented ASW over the course of the war.

Course, the one big thing that always stick as what "sets them apart" is that reputation forever, as being the first country to punch Germany in the face and get away with it, then be the 'one still standing' before the war started to swing back the other way.

And appropriately enough, the CAPCHA was "draw a line around these planes", and they were Spitfires.
>>
>>31773840
The intelligence campaign preceding, and enabling, Overlord was also incredibly important.
>>
File: Anglo Bants.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Anglo Bants.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>31772544
Bombing Germany to the point all their shit and people where mostly fucked up
>>
>>31772544
well they did have a inventive streak, hobarts funnies and the bouncing bomb

also they had some pretty awesome arty especially the 25 pounder
>>
File: DcffmrB.jpg (54KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
DcffmrB.jpg
54KB, 498x498px
>>31773880
DO IT AGAIN
O

I
T

A
G
A
I
N
>>
>>31773054
"Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world for you."

"If I had to take hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it."

"If I'd had one division of Maori, I would have taken the canal in a week. If I'd had three, I'd have taken Baghdad."

Rommel
>>
File: harris.jpg (100KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
harris.jpg
100KB, 850x400px
>>31775791
This is a bomber harris thread now
>>
>>31775791
Burn in hell motherfucker
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.