[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought one of these backpacks. What's something cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2675.jpg (30KB, 540x297px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2675.jpg
30KB, 540x297px
I just bought one of these backpacks. What's something cheap I can put in it that may save my life from a bullet? Ceramic tiles?
>>
>>31754826
>cheap
there are plenty used soft armour inserts/whole vests that are still serviceable on ebay. but first, redbull us on what that is and where you can buy it.
>>
>>31754826
Google AR500 Armor Curved Plate - Patented Advanced Shooters Cut (ASC) - 10"x12" 85$

Not sure it will fit, but it's hella cheap for a level 3 plate.
>>
>>31754826
depends on what your definition of cheap is. Budget?

what size plate can it fit?

and what sorts of rounds are you trying to stop? Pistol only? Basic Rifle threats? Special Rifle threats?
>>
>>31754826
Yeah bro just go down to Home Depot and get some ceramic tiles my brother is a marine and that's what they use in their armor
>>
File: IMG_2676.jpg (36KB, 636x449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2676.jpg
36KB, 636x449px
>>31754852
It's a neoprene laptop bicycle bag. You can obviously wear it backwards. Bought one a long time ago for $20 but gave it away. Just found one on eBay again in green. BUILT laptop bag

http://gizmodo.com/388834/built-laptop-bag-water-resistant-but-not-bulletproof
>>
>>31754826
Now you just need to buy a Blackhawk RRV and you'll have as much plate capacity as a non-autistic person.
>>
Budget is about $50. Sorry should have posted that.
>>
>>31754923
>http://gizmodo.com/388834/built-laptop-bag-water-resistant-but-not-bulletproof
OK. well steel AR500 plates like >>31754897
suggests are heavy and I don't think neoprene could handle it but that'S for you to decide since I have never seen those bags in person. a lightweight NIJ Type II (9mm +P,.357 Magnum) or Type IIIA (.357 SIG, .44 Magnum, 10mm Auto, 7H21) soft armour insert it probably could handle. Always get a trauma pad for the spine too. you really don't wanna get shot in the spine without one.
>>
Even putting the cringiness of the "muh Spartans" aside, how badly would I be getting meme'd if I bought this?

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/ar500-body-armor-and-spartan-plate-carrier-package-special/
>>
>>31755025
>https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/ar500-body-armor-and-spartan-plate-carrier-package-special/

wouldn't go with AR500 steel for anything but training plates because weight and frag spatter cutting my throat. UHMWPE plates stop 556 and 762x39 these days and are light enough to float on water. alternatively, you can make such plates from old kevlar inserts and epoxy glue.
>>
>>31754826
>cheap
>save my life
>>
File: dremeldisc.jpg (272KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
dremeldisc.jpg
272KB, 800x800px
>>31754826
>>
>>31755075
Doesn't the lining on the plates contain the splatter?

I was mainly worried about rushing out to buy them while they're on sale only to find out later the steel is shitty quality or something. I've been spending too much on /k/ shit recently and the one thing you don't want to cheap out on is armor, but if for $200 I could have something now that will actually have the potential to save my life it might be worth it. $200 ain't bad but there's no point in throwing money away on something that isn't actually going to protect me at all, or fall apart after a week outdoors if SHTF. There's a 99.999% chance it'll never even leave my closet anyway, and assuming there isn't some bullshit anti body armor law passed next year I could just buy a nice rig later.
>>
>>31755119
What's the idea behind this? Weave string through them and create a vest?
>>
>>31755145
>Doesn't the lining on the plates contain the splatter?

according to YT test videos, some may, others don't. in your link it says it only has a base coat which translates to just an anti corrosion paint coat. say bye to your throat. anti frag coats seem to be some 55$ extra:
https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/ar500-omega-body-armor-10x12-shooters-cut-set-of-two/

>I was mainly worried about rushing out to buy them while they're on sale only to find out later the steel is shitty quality or something. I've been spending too much on /k/ shit recently and the one thing you don't want to cheap out on is armor, but if for $200 I could have something now that will actually have the potential to save my life it might be worth it. $200 ain't bad but there's no point in throwing money away on something that isn't actually going to protect me at all, or fall apart after a week outdoors if SHTF. There's a 99.999% chance it'll never even leave my closet anyway, and assuming there isn't some bullshit anti body armor law passed next year I could just buy a nice rig later.

armor is literally the least important stuff for a civi even in SHTF. rifle, training and ammo are much more important. you aren't going to be lugging around 10lbs of steel plate armour in SHTF unless you are actively storming some enemy gang's compound. Are you that guy?
>>
File: 1476387506719.png (142KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
1476387506719.png
142KB, 400x372px
>>31755025
Steel Armor has only a couple benefits:
>Low cost
>Can be hit multiple times
>Durable

Composite/Ceramic Armor has a lot more going for it:
>Safer (can stop bigger threats and AP rounds, no splatter)
>Considerably Lighter
>Positive Or Neutrally buoyant
>Reduces the need for trauma pads

Honestly, what you linked would be better than nothing, and is a good budget option. But those are heavy for the protection they provide, and wont even stop 556 greentip.

Save up a bit more cash and get something better.

https://www.shellbacktactical.com/ECO-Active-Shooter-Response-Hard-Armor-Kit/
>>
>>31755178
>nevabeendonebefore!

oh wait, that would basically be dragonskin....
>>
>>31754826
I have ar500's lvl iiia backpack insert in my bag cost me about $100
>>
>>31755249
>splatter
Its spatter.
Also you can get ceramics for just a few bucks more than steel.
>>
>>31755239
If it doesn't have a lining then yeah I'll forget about that particular set.

As for the shtf part, honestly the most likely scenario I'd have to use it in would be if someone broke in my house. Before going to investigate that bump in the night it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some protection on quickly. If you take SHTF to mean societal collapse, I'd be much better off spending money on medical training and survival skills, but I meant it more as in a dindu breaks in and wants to enlarge my boipussi. I should have said that vs SHTF I guess.

>>31755249
If I can get a decent set of ceramic plates for only a few hundred more, like the one you linked it's probably worth just waiting. I could go and buy that now if I wanted, but I'd like to pay down my cc bill without digging into my rainy day fund first. I'll probably just wait.
>>
>>31755178
Layer them in the shape that you want and fix them together with resin to make a plate.
>>
File: GEAR_IOTV_Key_Features_lg.jpg (148KB, 939x1066px) Image search: [Google]
GEAR_IOTV_Key_Features_lg.jpg
148KB, 939x1066px
>>31755333
do dindus breakin with AR pistols these days? it's probably gonna be a handguna and a solf ballistic vest is a better option. hell, you could probably get an IOTV/IBA with deltoids and dick flap and maybe even PASGT helmet.
>>
>>31754826
What is this the new french body armor?
>>
>>31755253
not even close. DRagon skin is composed of silicon carbide tiles with a titanium secondary scale backer covered in aramid kevlar. Shits heavy but it works on vehicles quite well.
>>
>>31755583
>Shits heavy but it works on vehicles quite well.
no it doesn't. under lab testing conditions, with pullets impacting strainght on at 90°, it may work but that's not real live. IRL bullets and frag come in at all kinds of angles and here it's possible that all that stand in the way of a 9mm is 4 layers of woven kevlar as it cheats it's way in between the scales - which is basically nothing as
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.