[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was planning on buying my first AR end of Oct/beginning of Nov

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Was planning on buying my first AR end of Oct/beginning of Nov

Was told that best starter AR is Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II or Ruger AR-556

Any particular reason why?

Around how much should I be spending?

There's going to be a gun show in town around that time. Should i buy one there?
>>
Get a 6920.
>>
Buy the parts and make one. You will have a much better experience when doing so and save a bit of money.

You also get a bit of respect for the weapon as well. Just don't buy ANYTHING radical arms.
>>
>>31753227
It doesn't matter what brand. The budget ones are all basically the same. And you're going to end up customizing and replacing half the parts anyway. So you could just buy a stripped or complete lower and select exactly what you want for an upper. Also, forward assist is a jam enhancer so you decide for yourself if that's a requirement
>>
>>31753310
>parts rifle
>respect
>>
you get what you want if you build it yourself, otherwise youre going to get basic shit so it doesnt matter what you get.
both you listed are fine or >>31753287
if you can.
>>
Buy a stripped lower,

http://palmettostatearmory.com/16-mid-length-light-weight-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Knights-Armament-KAC-Rear-flip-up-Micro-Sight-200-600M-USMC-25650-/172363728046

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-m4-stock-wrench-prod16882.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-punches-prod26482.aspx

and the mag of your choice. You'll have a much better rifle for just about the same price.
>>
>>31753310
You mean Radical Firearms?
>>
>>31753332
>parts rifle
>respect
Respect for the weapon, you illiterate faggot
>>
>>31753227
Both are good budget ARs. Be aware Ruger uses some proprietary parts.

Honestly you should build.
>>
>Stripped lower
>PSA lower build kit
>Barreled upper

Put it together
Go shooting
>>
>>31753362
>>31756073
Does this require any machining or is it like lego works?
>>
>>31756137
No machinery needed. Some simple tools is all
>>
>>31756144
I'm sorry for the ignorance, but do you have any guides online? I'm also in california, so does that change things for me?
>>
>>31756158
YouTube ar15 lower assembly and you will find many videos detailing how to build a lower. Find one you like and use it.

I'm not up to ca laws regarding ARs. I would go to a lgs to buy a stripped lower and ask them what's legal/not legal in a build. They can give you all the info you need.
>>
>>31756158
Not him but California means you will need a featureless rifle or whatever bullet buttons replacement is allowed now.

Honestly, you're better off buying one for first time in CA. Calguns can be a good source of info.
>>
File: IMG_36491_zps60037b98.jpg (111KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_36491_zps60037b98.jpg
111KB, 768x1024px
>>31756137
It's LEGO-tier. Even if you get it without the lower and upper assembled, it's like putting together a toy from a kit. A blind ape could do it.
>>
>>31756137
Slightly more difficult than Lego. You have to drive a few roll pins with the punches, trap a few springloaded detent pins, and tighten the stock nut with the wrench.

>>31756158
>but do you have any guides online?
There's plenty of guides to assembling a lower online. It's easy. I built my own without having so much as handled an AR15 beforehand.

>California
Well, there's three ways to do it.

First is to order a Bullet Button magazine release. Make sure you put that on first. Then assemble the rest of your rifle as normal. As long as you complete it by December 31st, it's legal, and you can register it with the state as an Assault Weapon in 2017 (or, if you change your mind about registering, you can convert it to the second or third option any time in 2017). Once that's done, you can put on a normal magazine release. However, you are subject to restrictive transportation, use, and storage requirements, and cannot transfer the firearm in-state without converting it to a non-assault weapon configuration and de-registering it.

Second is to buy a Patriot magazine release. Made by the same guy as the Bullet Button, these are the new version that will remain legal without registration as an assault weapon in 2017. Though that may change. The state has been trying to ban black rifles for two and a half decades. As a firearm owner in California, you must always pay attention to changes in firearm law, lest the state make you an unwitting felon.

Third is to build featureless. There's a list of evil features that the state doesn't like. Flash hiders, collapsible stocks, and pistol grips are not allowed, to name a few. Order a muzzle brake, and either a fixed stock and a pistol grip wrap, or an FRS 15 stock, and you're legal to build with a normal magazine release and no registration. Don't try to get cute and do something different without reading the law for yourself, I left some of the features out.
>>
>>31757823
Building an upper is easy enough, but it requires a bit more investment in tools for the first-timer.
>>
>>31757850
It cost me like $70 to start from absolute scratch to make that setup you see there.
>$25 vise from Home Depot
>$5 for four screws, washers, and nuts
>$5 for a 2x10 to mount it on
>$20 upper blocks
>$15 armorer's tool

Shit, that was done in an apartment I was living in at the time for grad school.
>>
>>31758066
>It cost me like $70 to start from absolute scratch to make that setup you see there.
But you don't save $70 on the upper unless you're building something unusual.
>>
>>31753227
Do you live in indiana?
>>
>>31758066
you really dont need a vise
>>
>>31758066
No torque wrench, or headspace gauges?
>>
>>31758165
Based 219 reporting in
>>
>>31753287
FPBP
>>
>>31757826
so if i have an AR-15 with evil pistol grip and telescoping stock and register it with the state, I'll be able to take the bullet button off and use a regular mag release?

ive heard a lot of conflicting info about this and want to believe
>>
Nov 8th is election day aka Hillary wins the presidency day. If you wait until then its not going to matter, you will just want to get whatever you can while you can.

So yeah prices matter for about the next week or two then its just grab whatever while you can.
>>
>>31758178
it depends on who did what to your muzzle device last. Mine there was no way it was coming off without a vice.
>>
>>31758145
You can use that setup to build more ARs you know.
>>
>>31760733
>so if i have an AR-15 with evil pistol grip and telescoping stock and register it with the state, I'll be able to take the bullet button off and use a regular mag release?
Well, there's no guarantee the CADOJ won't try to bullshit us. But there is nothing in the law itself that would require the continued usage of a Bullet Button once the rifle is a Registered Assault Weapon.

Also, if you've heard the FUD about storage inspections, that's bullshit. That's a condition for a permit for post-ban Assault Weapons. You'd have a pre-ban Assault Weapon, and no permit. Any search of your property would have to be 4A-compliant.
>>
>>31760826
>You can use that setup to build more ARs you know.
There's no guarantee he's going to want to build more. Maybe a single basic bitch AR meets all his needs satisfactorily. They do for most people.
>>
File: baleebit.png (79KB, 569x563px) Image search: [Google]
baleebit.png
79KB, 569x563px
>>31758145
That's cool, except I used that setup when it was markedly cheaper to assemble your own upper and saving money doesn't really have anything to do with me using it to point out how fuckeasy it is to build an upper.
>>31758178
Not wrestling with your upper like a drunk nigger more than makes up the $25 you'll spend at Home Depot.
>>31758360
>torque wrench
Considering how absolutely fuckhuge the window is for acceptable torque, I never had a use for it. If you want to, go ahead, they're cheap.
>headspace gauges
Irrelevant with the AR since the barrels come with the chamber extension mated on from the factory 99% of the time.
>>
>>31758066
How do you torque your barrel down to spec with it just on a 2x10? I imagine you'd have to be standing on it at the very least if not weight it down with something heavier to get the board to stay steady.
>>
>>31761130
You sit on it dude...unless you're a little girl who just jumped through a time portal after three years of enduring Auschwitz, that should be more than enough to allow you to torque it to the minimum 35 ft lbs.
>>
>>31761068
>and saving money doesn't really have anything to do with me using it to point out how fuckeasy it is to build an upper.
Truefax. I just wanted to elaborate for the novices, so they don't go spending money thinking they're saving.

>Considering how absolutely fuckhuge the window is for acceptable torque, I never had a use for it. If you want to, go ahead, they're cheap.
>Irrelevant with the AR since the barrels come with the chamber extension mated on from the factory 99% of the time.
You're a bit of a cowboy, guy. It's a gun, it demands respect. You want to make sure it's not going to blow up, or fall apart when you need it.
>>
>>31761130
I'd park a car on the board, because I'm lazy.
>>
>>31760840
Alright I'll probably just register my shit then so I don't need fucking bullet buttons. Gotta get out of here
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.