[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to preface this by saying I live in California,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_9063.jpg (142KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9063.jpg
142KB, 1000x540px
I'm going to preface this by saying I live in California, if you hate California and want to shit on it please move along.

As it gets closer to 2017, the panic sets in because next year many rifles will be much harder to get in California. My collection is fairly solid, the only thing I'm really missing is a .308 battle rifle, and I've decided an FAL is the answer.

However, other options exist, namely the PTR and AR10. I'm against the AR10 because I want something with more character, even if it's objectively "worse". I'm not planning on clearing buildings or anything, which is why I'm looking hard at the 21" DSA Voyager that Atlantic carries.

But, is the FAL truly worth ~$120 more than a PTR? I think it may be, ergos are better doesn't mangle brass, and it's the damned right arm of the free world

What does /k/ think? Any first hand experienced you'd like to share?
>>
>>31744898
I've only got experience with the AR-10 personally, and mine is different because I frankengunned together Armalite and DPMS pattern parks, I think I've also got some mega-maten spec stuff mixed in too, but it all works.

Honestly, if an AR is off the table completely, I'd go with the PTR and just shoot steel cased .308, then it doesn't really matter if you're chewing up brass because that's a pain in the ass to reload, otherwise I'd build an AR and piece it together myself. Sort of a more intimate process where the rifle is yours and yours alone, not a factory made one out of a million, but rather a unique rifle that is one out of one.

I'm assuming since you care about the PTR chewing up brass you're planning to reload right?
>>
File: SA58 new cover.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SA58 new cover.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Don't buy a cast FAL
>>
File: quHGqJB.jpg (2MB, 4026x1934px) Image search: [Google]
quHGqJB.jpg
2MB, 4026x1934px
>>31744898
Ugh I'm so fucking anxious about the whole thing. No FALs in Atlantic till end of November/mid December from what i understand. Just got pic related but I'm looking at buying

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/dsa-fal-sa58-rifle-voyager-16-premium-threaded-barrel-detail.html?Itemid=0
Or
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/m92-ak47-krink-rifle-russian-red-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0
I like the suppressor look, and it's as close as I can get here in cali till i move out of this cancer
>>
>>31744989
They have 21" in stock right now
>>
>>31744963
Good luck finding a California legal non cast, and the whole cast thing isn't a big deal with modern metallurgy.
>>
>>31744995
Well I have a 18 inch AR 10. Not looking for bigger. That shit is too heavy for dragging through the Sierras and non lead 308 fly's like a shit
>>
>and it's the damned right arm of the free world

Then why bring one into the state where freedom died?
>>
File: SA58 - FN top & woodpatch.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SA58 - FN top & woodpatch.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31745007
Century AKs would like a word with you

Also I handled a 21 Voyager right before buying my Stg58 built on a forged DSA, there was a serious weight difference. If you have this amount of money to throw anyways buy one from out of state and get it converted to Cali legal. No point in buying an inferior rifle just because. Or build an AR10
>>
>>31744989
>>31744995
>>31745016
Dumbass they are all in stock
>>
>>31745016
http://www.peregrinebullets.com/peregrine-match-bullet-ballistics/
>>
>>31745027
> Says the guy with the overpriced light up keyboard.
Century has bad QC, DSS has bad customer service. I have an ar 10. I want another sport 308. Finding something u want out of state and shipping it in is hard AF dude. Easier said than done some shops won't even deal with cali because of all the red tape.
>>
>>31745043
I know it's negligible that is why I want 16 inches not 21
>>
>>31745059
I only paid 60 for my keyboard, but the mouse is definitely a piece of shit. If you absolutely want an FAL then you can go Voyager, but from my personal experience with them I would never go for one. I'd have to weight them to know the difference, but it felt like a good 2-3 pound difference. It did have poly furniture though
>>
>>31745083
Considering how the 21" is listed at 9.75lbs I'm curious as to how many corners were cut on yours to get it under 8lbs
>>
>>31745036
FUCK
THEY OUT OF BULLET BUTTONS
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>31745107
There's no way the one I handled could've been almost ten pounds. It felt almost the same as my AK which is about 9 or so. No way it was under 8 though, remember my FAL has solid wood and the metal handguards instead of the poly DSA uses
>>
While I too am in califuckna and would really want a FAL/SA58 over a much easier to access AR in 308, the prospect of FAL magazines drying up is putting me off.
>>
>>31745135
Email them, if you buy it they'll put it on hold until bullet buttons come in stock
>>
>>31745148
Drying up? Explain what you mean by this
>>
What has to be done to make the ptr or fal compliant?

Wouldn't an m1a be less of a hassle? I know people shit on them for some reason, but when I lived in ND I had an 18" that I carried hunting and the weight wasn't even noticeable, definitely comparable to the fal. Also never had a problem with reliability even when it was subzero outside.
>>
>>31745209
Bullet button

But starting next year they can be registered and used as intended (with 10 round mags)
>>
>>31745209
M1a is a bit more expensive
>>
>>31745224
You can also get a fin grip and muzzle brake in order to have a featureless build.

Another alternative with FALs is a top-loaded version that DSA offers. The magazine is permanently attached, although it can quickly be converted back. Top cover is shorter and has a stripper clip guide.
>>
>>31745345
Compared to a proper DSA FAL they're pretty close, but build-quality-per-dollar the DSA is better. Lots of used old school M1As with USGI parts floating around if you look for em though. There's a vush rifle built on TRW parts for 1600 on Calguns right now and the seller will probably take less.
>>
>>31745357
That's an interesting concept, can't seem to find anything with a quick google search
>>
Hahaha Cali is fucked. Enjoy having worse gun laws than Canada
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.