[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just accepted 12d mos, diver today. What the fuck did i actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

I just accepted 12d mos, diver today. What the fuck did i actually just get myself into. I swim half a mile every two days and have been on a swim team since I was 8. So I think im about as prequalified as you can get. Any advice?
>>
>>31736287
Don't drown.
>>
>>31736287
You're perfectly capable of pulling it off. Good on you.
>>
Congrats buddy. Good luck.
>>
>>31736287
Hope you're not particularly attached to your skin, because you literally wont be as a 12d
>>
>>31736287
Swimming while diving is very different than normal swimming.

You want good lung control. I reccomend taking up long distance jogging to build up the appropriate capacity and control.

For swimming you do it all with your hips. Take up a lot of bleacher kicks and flutter kicks to help get used to it.
>>
F
>>
>>31736420
I switch on and off swiming half mile one day and running 2 miles the other. Is this enough or do I need to increase my running distance. Should i swim with a board so that i dont use my arms?
>>
You'll be good dude, but honestly being a Navy diver is a lot cooler, more brotherhood and stuff. You can pretty much go everywhere as far as I know.
>>
>>31736538
Increase your running distance to like 5K

Honestly that's bullshit though, diving isn't THAT breathing control focused, you don't have to be athletic at all to dive recreationally, can't imagine military diving, ie salvaging, SAR, etc would be too different
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 356x200px
>>31736287
Jelly as fuck, OP. Godspeed.
>>
>>31736538
I would jog 5 or more miles regularly, maybe once or twice a week. It is about sustainability, not speed, so slow pace is fine.

Swimming with a board might work, but flutter kicks and bleacher exercises as pretty effective and doable pretty much anywhere.
>>
Also, since Im finishing off the semester before i leave for basic, i wont be going until February. Would it be worth it to take scuba classes at a local indoor facility as ive never done scuba before? I understand the training is very different but i feel it might be beneficial to at least have the basics down
>>
>>31736545
Ive heard that but all my friends are in Army and i dont want to be that guy among them. If i pass im thinking about transfering to navy after my first 4 years just to get all the experiences
>>
>>31736582
Go for it. If you've never dove before it can be pretty awkward at first. Might as well get some experience so you don't look like a total fool.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>31736567
Breathing control is essential to control bouyancy. Sure a lot of recreational tourists get away without it, but that's because they constantly fuck around with the BCD. That's scrub stuff that wastes your air/nitrox needlessly.

Also many recreational divers are scary as fuck with how haphazard they are in the water. Used to work at a dive center and assist dive groups. Very aniexty inducing watching self-proclaimed "experienced" recreational divers.
>>
>>31736582
I'm currently in scuba training and it's piss easy. It wouldn't even be necessary in my opinion. I'd be comfortably diving with a friend after showing him the basics in 10 minutes.
>>
>>31736613
Im thinking if the classes are too ridiculously expensive I might as well even understand how it works before showing up and hurr durr whats this thing
>>
>>31736646
Arent*
>>
>>31736613
scuba is piss ease to learn naui and padi are a joke
>>
>>31736287
>half a mile every two days
A 900 yard swim 2 or 3 times a week is not impressing anybody. That's about a ~20min work out depending on what you're doing, in other words probably not much.
>swim team since I was 8
I kind of doubt that. A lot.
2,500-3,000 yards 4x a week was pretty much the usual all through high school for my swim team.
>>
>>31736613
Glad it was easy for you; I almost drowned my first time because I panicked like an autist when I accidentally inhaled some water. If OP wants a bit of experience beforehand, terrific.
>>
also this is a thing past 100 feet OP if you are even a semi anxious person diving might not be a smart idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis
>>
>>31736680
Im not a competitive swimming anymore, i swim/ run along with my everyday but sunday weightlifting. If i had to beat fucking Michael phelps i would be swimming much longer distances. I could easily swim more than 900 yds but i dont need to. Capisce?
>>
>>31736724
Yea ive heard horror stories about this. One of my friends dads was an underwater welder for 15 years. Stories of people ripping off their equipment 150 ft under bc they hear the fish telling them to
>>
>>31736783
>Im not a competitive swimming anymore
It doesn't sound like you ever were.
>If i had to beat fucking Michael phelps i would be swimming much longer distances.
Olympics is a little far off, right now based off of your routine you wouldn't even be touching the average 16 year old girl's team, so try not to be so dramatic.
>I could easily swim more than 900 yds but i dont need to. Capisce?
"I could easily... but..." is the home base statement for people who never do and never will.
Unless the Army's requirements are laughably weak, which I doubt, you should strongly consider spending less time looking for back pats on /k/ and more time improving your pool game.
>>
>>31736887
You sound like the fat dude who lives down the hall and tries to ruin everyones parade bc he never made anything of himself other than being employee of the month 2 months in a row at gamestop
>>
>>31736975
Oh, I'm sorry, my bad. Let me try again:
>Hey, OP, great job! The Army is totally gonna let you in, you'll ace it perfectly!
>Be sure to tell the recruiter about your bench and deadlift max, that will definitely impress them more than your swim times!
Best of luck, really, you are going to be in for a harsh reality check when you get dropped in a pool for a swim eval.
>>
>>31736802
depends on the person really my mom cant go past 100ft anymore because she'll start giggling randomly like a retard

just cause the cert is like 1-2 deep dives at 100" does not mean the next dive you go on should be like 150" without knowing how you FEEL would not surprise me if this is like the #1-2 killer of divers ignoring human/gear error
the reason why she stopped deep diving
>giggle
>whoops reg feel out of mouth
>puts it back in
>happens again
>CANNOT FIND PANIC
>dive buddy freaks and shoves his octopus in her mouth shes a tad fuck they need to get out of the water ASAP

unrelated but still christ she broke her ear drum at only 60" in the 90's and still dives lol
>>
Hopefully you can swim better than Costa.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.