[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So can someone explain to me why there aren't as many 5.45

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So can someone explain to me why there aren't as many 5.45 AK pistols/SBRs as 7.62s? What's wrong?
>>
>>31726116
They tried it and 7n6 got banned
>>
I've always wanted a Yugo PAP pistol in 5.45 but I don't think yugoslavia ever used 5.45
>>
>>31726326
You can get it 5.56 though. Serbia is moving to NATO rounds, just a few years ago they finally stopped making their dmr rifles in 8mm and went to 7.62x51
>>
>>31726116
Because for the longest time we didn't want 5.45mm 7N6 ammo to get banned, so nobody fucked with the idea.

I think now with the heating issues with Russia and maybe people holding out to see who wins the election (possibly allowing a reversal of the ATF's classification of 7N6 ammo), nobody really wants to touch the issue right now.

Plus, 5.45mm was always a niche round inside the US. If you want small and light, you get 5.56mm, if you want bigger, you get 7.62mm.
>>
Federal law states that armour-piercing handgun ammo can't be imported. Well, the most popular and cheapest 5.45mm ammo was always 7N6, which was AP. So all the manufacturers had a gentleman's agreement to not manufacture a 5.45mm handgun, as it would get 7N6 imports banned.

Well, one scumbag troll with nothing better to do "manufactured" a 5.45mm AK pistol and submitted it to the ATF for the sole reason of getting 7N6 banned from import. It worked. Now 5.45mm is more expensive as the entire 7N6 supply was cut off. The best part is the law says the handgun has to be commercially available... This guy made ONE prototype, he never manufactured them for commercial sale, but the gov still used it as a reason to ban 7N6. I think someone tried challenging it but I don't know what became of that.

FYI the same piece of shit said he was working on a 7.62x54R handgun next, so he could get cheap ammo banned, since it also falls under the US' definition of AP.
>>
>>31727132
It was Ted Cruz who challenged the ban by name, it turns out.
I was a Cruz missile. Fuck you fake conservatives sabotaging my chances at actually winning.
>>
>>31727132
Actually the troll guy you're talking about wasn't what caused it. It was some Polish importers asking the ATF, IIRC.

And 5.45mm handguns had been previously available, just not common enough to draw attention. Also, I believe that there was some fuckery by the ATF measurements in order to get 5.45mm to meet their criteria for banned ammo.
>>
>>31727195
Really? How does asking the ATF for permission to import something = a 5.45mm handgun being commercially available? Last I checked, they never imported any.

Where have there been 5.45 handguns in the past? Homebrew builds?
>>
>>31727183

desu he didnt have a chance
The internet meme machine had gotten to work on him long before they did on hilldog or trump
He was dead where he stood, he just didnt know it
too bad too
>>
>>31727243
>How does asking the ATF for permission to import something = a 5.45mm handgun being commercially available? Last I checked, they never imported any.

I'm looking it up now, but I remember quite clearly at the time having read the ATF justification being the Polish importers, not the troll guy (he's in Nevada as some kind of whack'o'loon homebody FFL guy, also IIRC).

I also remember a lot of people at the time posting how the fear of a 7N6 ban was hot air by showing how it didn't meet the stated criteria, due to the amount of "penetrating core" material but then the ATF really bent the measurements enough to declare a ban.

>Where have there been 5.45 handguns in the past?

There were AR pistol variants commercially available. You really had to search them out, but they existed.
>>
>>31727318
Why would the Polish importers do such a thing? Also, why didn't everyone agree not to make 7.62 AK pistols?
>>
>>31727552
It was an Olympic Arms AR pistol in 7.62x39 that got surplus 7.62x39 banned.

Once it was banned people started (several years later) bringing in AK pistols, because it was already too late.

You'll possibly see 5.45 pistols pop up barring any reversal of the "ruling" by the gAyTF (Un-fucking-likely to happen)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.