[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howdy. I bought a rifle and a pistol but I honesty don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0101.jpg (1MB, 4032x1950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0101.jpg
1MB, 4032x1950px
Plan on takin them to the range. What do I need to know/do? Someone told me with the pistol to shoot 5 rounds, clean it, shoot 5, clean a few times. Is this accurate and what else should I be doing fellas?
>>
>>31708422
>Clean a pistol every five rounds

Fucking lol. Is this a troll thread? How much did you pay for all that? Why the fuck are you asking questions after you bought it? Do your research first, anon.
>>
you dont need to clean your pistol every 5 rounds. clean after the range trip if you feel like it.
the one thing you have to do is be safe. know the 4 rules of firearm safety and the range rules as well. thats pretty much it. everything else can be learned as you go along.
>>
>>31708422
>Howdy
Git out.

Also just clean it and then shoot a box or two through it to put it through its paces.
That shot 5 and clean crap is more for high end barrels not some guns your gonna beat up.

>nice sigma btw.
>>
>>31708422
Now remember, that's one can of ballistol per cleaning

You're going to need at least 10 cans if you're using 50 count box ammo
>>
File: IMG_0095.jpg (59KB, 583x832px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0095.jpg
59KB, 583x832px
>>31708479
I needed the shit now anon. Now how about some helpful tips instead of being a nigger
>>
>>31708489
Ok. Anything you think is helpful you could share for a noob?
>>
Shoot one bullet unload the magazine clean the magazine and the bullets then load it up again and shoot one more bullet. Make sure to point the gun directly to your thigh in case you misfire.
>>
>>31708513
Not until you tell us how much you overpaid by. I want to know how big your stupid tax was. I mean, im glad you got guns but God damn this is funny.
>>
>>31708527
It's not that hard as long as you know how to properly shoot the gun and listen to the range guy you'll be fine.
>>
>>31708512
Why are you being a fag get?
>>
>>31708532
How much do you think I paid?
>>
>>31708548
Because op is a moron. I got all my information on guns from online and bullshitting at gun shops. Stop being a autist and ask some goddamn questions.
>>
>>31708557
More than you should have because this was obviously an impulse buy.

I'd bet you overpaid by at least $500, and only have 1 mag per gun, and probably less than 100rds for each. Even 100 rounds sounds generous judging by how this is going so far though. Go buy some cheap aluminum d&h brand at mags off palmetto state armory. They're $8 each with free shipping if you buy 20 or more today on sale and work as well as any other magazine. Pistol mags will be more expensive but go buy at least two more. Then go on ammoseek or gunbot and buy 1-2k ammo for the rifle and the same for the pistol, plus some hollow points for the pistol. Finally do your research next time first. I hope you didn't get burned too badly.
>>
>>31708527
i cannot emphasize enough how important safety is. im not just saying it because youre a new shooter. you dont want to be that "one guy" flagging everyone or possibly injuring someone.
knowing the rules aside, not psyching yourself up can help a lot. shooting is about proper technique and stance but mindset is equally important.
speaking of which, proper stance and technique is something you can research. read about it and try different things at the range to see what works for you.
fyi, pistol fundamentals are less forgiving than rifle. practice makes perfect.
i would also suggest you not jump into buying accessories and parts. with an AR especially, the aftermarket can seem overwhelming. buying parts just because is a mistake a lot of us have made when starting out (myself included). ammo is a good investment.
lastly, have fun. youre spending time and money on this hobby, enjoy it.
>>
>>31708595
Just saw the second at mag but whatever. You'll want more than two.
>>
>>31708574
an autist*
>>
To start, you're going for need some sights or optics for your rifle
>>
>>31708595
I paid 1k for everything
I have 4 30rd magazines for the ar and 2 mags for the pistol. Don't have much ammo atm but of course I'll get more as time goes on
>>
>>31708633
Gonna get some today. Had to wait a week for some more currency
>>
>>31708634
that's acceptable
>>
Op should've just bought a note 7
>>
>>31708634
>I paid 1k for everything
Well, at least you didn't get jewed too hard
>>
>>31708634
If thats true then congrats, you did well. I was expecting you to say something North of 2 grand. Normally the type of retard telling you you need to clean a pistol every 5 rounds would be trying to Jew you too. Still, do your research next time. You got extremely lucky.
>>
>>31708513

He is being helpful. You're just a retarded faggot.
>>
>>31708663
The person telling me to clean it like that wasn't the person who sold me the gun. He also said something about putting the metal in oil outside for a few hours. Do u know anything about that?
>>
>>31708422

Get some more AR mags, magpull is fine, a lot of people like lancer too. Get a ton of ammo and practice practice practice! If you can, start practicing moving and shooting and doing drills. Clean after every range trip/every other range trip. Detail strip your gun after 1k-2k rounds.
>>
>>31708422
Sell your shit and get a glock 19 and a hi point 995.
Then go online and buy 200 rounds of 9mm.
There. Your set.
>>
>>31708678
Disregard everything that person has said and will ever say
>>
>>31708678

I wouldn't listen to a thing he says. After cleaning the pistol, you only need to lubricate where the slide meets the frame.
>>
>>31708678
Don't listen to anything that guy told you, he is apparently a TurboFudd.

Just run an oiled patch down the barrel before you shoot it to clear out any small pieces of metal that might somehow have gotten in there. Don't soak the gun in oil, and all leaving it outside would do is make it likely to be stolen. Just lightly spray some lube (like ballistol or clp) on a rag and wipe the metal parts down. Look up videos on how to maintain guns, YouTube will have everything shown way better than we can type it.
>>
>>31708696
Do I need to clean it before taking it to the range?
>>
>>31708678
Not necessary. Maybe give the externals a wipe down with a silicone rag. Other than that, lubricate according to the user manual.

Also, you have like 3 weeks to buy extra mags for your rifle before shit gets retarded. Try and get another 8 or so at minimum. Magpul MOE PMAGs and D&H aluminum mags will be your cheapest options. Lancer L5 AWMs are going to be much more expensive but are the only "fancy" mag I'd recommend. Don't bother with Hexmags or ETS mags; they're both usually priced around the same as the more proven PMAGs and Lancer AWMs, respectively.
>>
>>31708710

Naw

Clean and lube after

>>31708712

And what this guy said, get mags asap after your sights. You probably don't need a ton, but it's always nice to have 4 AR mags per rifle.
>>
>>31708422
OP heres how you break in a pistol
>before firing thoroughly inspect for burrs
>lightly oil slide rails
>lightly oil trigger group
>lightly oil feed ramp
>ensure there is no heavy or packing grease
>dry cycle firearm
>wipe offexcess oil
>proceed to shoot 100-200 rds
>check for abnormal wear marks
>if cycled flawlessly you should be okay
>clean itat about 500 rds
>>
>>31708422
>clean pistol every 5 rounds.
No. And don't go out shooting with that numb nuts. Obey the fundamentals of firearm safety: 1) all guns are always loaded. 2) never let your muzzle sweep and or cover something you are not willing to destroy (to my shame I've fucked this up with a fully secure, bolt back mag well empty weapon, NEVER POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY EVEN IF THE WEAPON IS 'SAFE'). 3) Trigger disaprin: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target. 4) be sure of your target, what's in front of it, and what's behind it.

Go to the range or join a club and find an old timer to coach you. The best instructor will hover over you and bark at you until you quit being a dangerous fucking faggot to yourself and others and get it right.

Enjoy the sport. It's not a fucking game. And these are not toys.
>>
>>31708710
I would simply because you do not know if the guy before you left shit like a patch or something in the action or the barrel
>>
>>31708731
He should just take advantage of the PSA deal and get 20. This way if any break hell have backups and there's always the possibility of just selling them down the road.

Also op, I forgot before, looks like you don't have iron sights either. Don't cheap out on those, something like magpul mbus pros would work fine.
>>
>>31708767
It's a brand new pistol
>>
>>31708710
Not strictly necessary in most cases, especially for an S&W Sigma and a parts AR, but I would give it a quick cleaning anyway just so you're familiar with the major parts and know for certain you got rid of any heavy packing grease or anything like that.
>>
>>31708687
>hipoint 995

Bean meaning to ask, are those things any good at all? They SEEM to be well built, but the Hipoint logo turns me off a little
>>
>>31708422
Op heres how you break in a pistol using frog lube
>inspect for burrs or abnormalities
>wash firearm with a degreaser like dawn soap (not a really crucial part you could just wipe the oil off)
>heat up the parts with a hair dryer (i usually let mine just sit in the sun for a while)
>lightly wipe on frog lube (it shouldmelt when it touches your gun
>let her sit about 50-60 mins
>dont use frog lube in the trigger group use regular 5w30
Wipe off excess and shoot
>>
>>31708759
Also: learn how to break down your weapons with your eyes closed; basics of marksmanship: sight picture, ballistics, trigger squeeze
>>
>>31708789
That doesn't mean there couldn't be shit in it. A small metal shaving from the factory could be in the barrel or something. Not to mention it's much less of a pain learning how to take apart a gun and before you get it all dirty.
>>
>>31708422

Have you ever shot a gun?
>>
>>31708825
Should I learn to shoot with my eyes closed too?
>>
>>31708824
Are you daft you cant just wipe off oil YOU HAVE TO DEGREASE
>>
>>31708840
That cute. Feel better now?
>>
>>31708422
so, your biggest problem is that your rifle doesn't even have iron sights. Without iron sights, your rifle is useless, as optics can and do fail.

They do make easy-on/easy-off irons for ARs. Get a set, put 'em on, and then co-witness them with your optic. For the carbine, you want to use the 200yd battlesight zero. You can learn how to do this sort of thing after taking a NRA rifle class or an Appleseed class.

Pistol: you want at least 2 spare mags in addition to the one it came with. A CCW class taught by someone with NRA credentials will teach you most of what you need for range safety and weapons maintenance.

A hunter's safety course can be a source of good information too, especially on safe weapons handling, but they generally will not teach you on proper techniques for establishing a zero on a weapon (since most hunter's safety students are 12).

Once you have the "how do I gun" classes down, then it's time for range time and competitions to hone your skills.
>>
>>31708845
>you have to degrease

High viscosity oils dry up m8 you can indeed wipe them off
>>
>>31708873
>oil drys up
>you can wipe oil off

Does anyone else think this guy is a retard?
>>
>>31708872
Another actual shooter who gives good advice and isn't just playing Barbie on MY /k/? Da fuq this place coming to?
>>
>>31708422
>>31708872

I forgot, don't go with the weird diamond stuff for your irons, that's overpriced crap sold to morons who don't know how the human eye works. For your rifle's irons you want a nice set of aperture sights.

Magpul makes pretty decent ones that'll work for what you've got. https://www.magpul.com/products/mbus-sights
>>
>>31708422
Honesty that is all bullshit unless it is a crazy match gun.

Clean them first before the range trip.

Shoot them.

Clean them when you get home.
>>
>>31708910
This is good advice as well. CoD bois incoming with my Troy BUIS in 3... 2... 1...
>>
>>31708422
>Someone told me with the pistol to shoot 5 rounds, clean it, shoot 5, clean a few times.
That's the barrel break-in procedure that some people recommend. It's not necessary to do that.

Go to the range, shoot 50 rounds, check sights, adjust sights if necessary. Go home, clean, you're done.
>>
>>31708710
No, unless you shoot thousands of dirty corrosive rounds through it each range visit.
I usually just run a patch or two down the barrel and give the chamber and breech face or bolt a quick wipe.
I do a detailed clean every few months.
>>
>>31708910
And bushnell makes a pretty good budget optic, though I'd argue OP should learn the fundamentals with irons before going there. MBUS doesn't have elevation, but if he spends some time with a service rifle or target .22 and has half a brain cell and a decent instructor it can figure it out pretty quick. OTH, that may be being generous.
>>
>>31708759
To add to this anon:
Whenever you're going to be pulling the trigger outside of shooting situations, like dry fire practice or function check, BE VIGILANT! There's way too many ND stories on here from dry fire practice.
And no, don't swallow the
>"it will happen to everybody!"
It's bellowed by people who got too comfortable and fucked up, and they're trying to feel better by justifying it in their heads by labelling it as something "destined".
As the anon stated, these are not toys. You don't go into a machine shop with heavy machines and tools and become too lax or lazy with procedures and rules. Because instead of being ripped apart by a lathe, you get an instant cavity in your body or lord forbid, in someone else's body with a gun.
>>
>>31708990
yes, but he's using a carbine, not a rifle, so the effective range is quite limited. 200yds is really the effective range of that setup, so a MBUS with the 200yd battlesight zero will give only a 2.5 inch deviation between point of aim and point of impact from 50 to 200 yards, and beyond that, the carbine doesn't get the round going fast enough to be effective.
>>
>>31709049
>a MBUS with the 200yd battlesight zero
But an MBUS has no elevation adjustment?
>>
>>31708759
I'm curious how you can walk around with your gun if you NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER point it at something you aren't trying to "destroy." You faggots are ridiculous. Its like you're afraid of your guns. How do you clean it? Can't have it in your hands without it being on a range pointed at a target. If you hold it in your house you are pointing the muzzle in some direction that isn't something you're trying to destroy, even though the gun is safe. You're a fucking moron. OP, just don't be stupid with your guns. Don't point them at people, regardless of the condition of the gun, unless you plan to shoot them. Always check the condition of your gun when you pick it up, know if its loaded or clear. Even if you know its clear, don't point it at people. Want to point it at a wall to dry fire? Sure, just check it clear every single time before you do it. Don't listen to the "never point the weapon at something you don't intend to DESTROY" people. They're scared of their guns.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (111KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
111KB, 1360x768px
>>31709150
That's what a clearing bucket is for anon.
>>
>>31709150
>never point your weapon at people
*yawn* in your pathetic attempt at being contrarian, you've managed to derp yourself to the correct answer.
>>
File: 1473775758591.gif (79KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1473775758591.gif
79KB, 600x450px
>>31708479
lmfao not sure i bait or real
>>
>>31709194
>>31709194
Do you go to a range to dry fire your weapons?
>>
>>31709145
that's what the front sight is for on an AR, and the trajectory of the 5.56 is flat-ish out to 200 yds
>>
>>31709278
Dude stahp. You fail. If you have no concept of the basics of firearm safety you are a danger to yourself, others and gun owners in general. You are the problem. If you persist out of the autistic need to be "right" you never will be. So stand down.
>>
>>31709278
>>31709303

the rules must be religiously drilled into a gun owners head. If you need to inspect the barrel, you disassemble the weapon and inspect from the breach.

Only once you can understand intuitively why the rules are set up the way they are can you understand why having a chambered pistol firearm in a holster is actually safe.
>>
>>31709299
But you still need to lower the rear
>>
>>31709353
I use a carry handle and I've never had to make elevation adjustments to the rear when going between 200yds and 300yd zeros, unless you're talking about what arfcom calls the battlesight zero (and is properly called an "improved" battlesight zero, since you can still adjust for distance with the improved scheme). And to do the improved zero, you have to modify the carry handle and get a longer front sight post.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.