[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 31

File: 1474066928482.png (171KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1474066928482.png
171KB, 657x527px
Military Enlistment General /MEG/
NEET to warrior edition

Previous thread
>>31654148

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857
>>
About to leave for Parris Island, wouldn't mind some last minute advice, I posted in last thread shortly before they started a new one.
>>
>>31691024
Not the guy who said it but hes still right. Its only gonna be barerly tougher. Its not like youre in BUD/s or something. Its still just basic. Youll be fine.
>>
>>31691109
I feel like the trip to MEPS before I leave and receiving will be the most stressful.
>>
File: 1475962009855.jpg (164KB, 919x857px) Image search: [Google]
1475962009855.jpg
164KB, 919x857px
Who /lie/ for security clearance here?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11438482
>>
>>31691109
You guys serious? I'm leaving for meps tommorow and I'm fucking shitting my pantsu.
>>
File: 1475164655863.png (444KB, 581x541px) Image search: [Google]
1475164655863.png
444KB, 581x541px
>>31691126
Ya it is, the first week there as well is like a blur. After that youll have a feel for what its like. Keep in mind youre going to get smoked/dropped no matter what. Theyre supposed to do it so theyll find something wrong no matter what so when it happens dont sweat it.

Also, i thought of something else. When you graduate, dont buy any of the shit they try selling you. I remember when i finished navy boot they tried selling us rings and a bunch of other bull shit. Definitely dont waste your money on that trash.

>>31691148
>Who /lie/ for security clearance here?
Of course
>>
>>31691208
>>31691126
You both leaving?
Why you shitting your pants?
See what i said >>31691214
>>
File: lil-wayne-may-retire.jpg (286KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lil-wayne-may-retire.jpg
286KB, 1920x1080px
>>31691148

Be good or be good at it nigga.
>>
File: 1476217209452.jpg (148KB, 640x656px) Image search: [Google]
1476217209452.jpg
148KB, 640x656px
Hey senpai. Former 18x here currently waiting to reclass after failing the PT standard. I'm laid over in airborne hold atm so I've got plenty of time to answer any questions people might have about 18x as far as boot is concerned or what happens to people who dont make the 240.

Let me just say that some of you are going into Boot Camp underestimating just exactly how much of a social game is being played. I got stuck in a company that was 50% active army 18x, 15% op 40, 15% 11b active army and 10% NG 11b. Alot of 18x people are chad as fuck, and for those of you who are going into this thinking you're going to meet intelligent people who are really interested in foreign cultures, etc. you need to be aware that this is not the case. The biggest thing for you to learn in boot camp is how to get squared away. FORGET all of the BULLSHIT about learning languages, cultures, etc. Your priority before you get to Fort Bragg is to max dat PT score, max dat organizational skill, and most importantly learn how to be a self motivator. When I came in I was no foreigner to physical exercise, but I SUCKED at core workouts and had not done much training by way of cardio or bodyweight. Make aure you have that part of your training down. You also need to learn how to be a self motivator.

I made a few of these key mistakes before going in and lost my contract. It's not the end of the world if you do lose it (90% of people do) but dont be like me and fail out of it so early because your mindset is not proper.
>>
>>31691097
Remember that it's all a game. There's a point to pretty much every stupid thing the DI's do. Just go with the flow.
>>
What's happening with the navy ratings?
>>
>>31691491
At what point did they take your contract away?

What was the reason you werent physically prepared before hand?

Any other info would be great.

>>31691554
They are gone, they have these NOS codes now or some shit.
>>
>>31691593
>They are gone, they have these NOS codes now or some shit.

That sounds stupid. How fuck are you supposed to know what your being offered? You have to read every description.
>>
>>31691679
Ya, just like every other branch. You realize that right? But again i agree its stupid, if anything the other branches shouldve changed to the rate system not the other way around.
>>
>>31691491
Airborne holdover?
Im so fucking sorry man. That place sucked. Moldy as fuck and parts of the barracks were closed off entirely cause of mold. But I got cut orders to Krautistan so all in all worth the pain.

t. Former Op40 contract.
>>
File: Call it in.png (2MB, 1000x687px) Image search: [Google]
Call it in.png
2MB, 1000x687px
I want to be a ranger but my current PT score is 200, how fucked am I?
>>
>>31691491
Stats before shipping to BCT?
>2-mile run
>2-min pushups
>2-min situps
>>
>>31691792
C U C K E D
>>
Considering taking a leave of absence from my uni to enlist
>>
>>31691953
And? You want advice or something?
>>
>>31691994
I guess I need to figure out how to tell my parents. I'm a third year in engineering and they've been paying for it. Not doing poorly just pretty unhappy with school and I've wanted to serve anyway
>>
>>31692010
finish it and go officer or use your degree to enlist as a SPC in the army

t. a SPC with a degree in engineering
>>
>>31692028
What MOS?

Do you regret it knowing you can make bank on the outside?

Is the mil doing anything about your student loans?

I want to do the same, but something high-speed
>>
>>31692028
well a desire to not be an officer is kinda why I thought I'd just leave and enlist now

I'm not too worried about money and I'd rather do something useful instead of just managerial stuff (I want to do intel)
>>
Anybody have experience with firefighting in the military? Specifically Air Force. I went to a recruiter last month and was told "Absolutely not, we aren't even hiring firefighters."

Wat do?
>>
>>31692062
If thats what you want then go for it. Tell your parents and be firm. You thought about a branch yet?

>>31692111
>Wat do?
Dont do it? If its closed its closed. Do something else.
>>
>>31692142
I was thinking Army or Navy

I think it'd be better to just finish out my degree and then enlist. I only have a year left to go anywho
>>
>>31692172
Well then finish it out. if you go Navy CTx rates are what you want and Army 35 series MOSs.
>>
>>31692270
Yeah mate thanks
>>
>>31692292
Australian?
>>
>>31691040
If i wanted to sign up to kill some sand nigs, which branch do i take?
>>
>>31692569
None cos they wont take you
>>
>>31691097
Remember it's a game and that some real fucking retards have made it through without a problem. Drop your ego at the door and you will be 100% fine.

Also everybody is just as scared as you are.
>>
>>31692579
let me try again, i hear the only troops the US has currently in combat are 15,000 sf units in the middle east. if I wanted to fight, which branch and what would make me qualified to go there?
>>
>>31692629
You answered your own question moron.
First off you mean 15,000 SOF not SF, even though they are there.
So go SOF.
SEALS, SF, Rangers, PJS, CCTs, and so on.
>>
File: This is how we do it.jpg (2MB, 3000x2146px) Image search: [Google]
This is how we do it.jpg
2MB, 3000x2146px
>>31692629
They send Airborne troops over there too. An Infantry unit from the 82nd is there now.

Whatever you do, be sure to get Airborne school in your contract. You won't move an inch in special operations without being jump qualified. That is the stepping stone.
>>
Which enlisted intel MOS is best for post-service employment opps?
>>
>>31691898
13:15

Max that shit fuckboy
>>
>>31692569
Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Air Force pararescue, Navy SEAL, Marine RECON or MARSOC(don't go marines though)

They don't want people with the "I want to kill some motherfuckers" mindset though, and have become extremely good at vetting out even the ones that hide that desire
>>
>>31692010
>>31692062

Don't be retarded, you're almost done with college.

You know you need a degree to be competitive for later enlisted promotions, right? You know a degree helps you get better contracts and federal jobs after your enlistment, right?

You're going to want that degree eventually, and it can take a year just to get into the military. You have a year left, just finish your degree while you get ready.
>>
>>31693329

Cyber, although the services are starting to split Cyber out into its own thing apart from intel.
>>
>>31694655
Why doesn't the military want people who want to kill, isn't that the whole point?
>>
>>31696519
Cause liberals and trannies are the recruiters.

I remember I called one a few weeks ago.

(in masculine nog voice) "I needs ta ax you to come in surr"
>>
>>31696519

Because people who join just to kill shit usually go off the rails when they realize the military is 99% not killing shit. It isn't worth the hassle compared to finding people with other motivations and teaching them to kill shit when necessary.
>>
File: image.png (189KB, 320x704px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
189KB, 320x704px
Anyone /mp/ here? I'm going for army 31A and wanted to know if anyone liked it.
>>
>>31696538
>I needs ta ax you to come in surr

Shit I walked into a recruiting office about a week ago and out of all the guys there for some reason I had to work with the nog female. I stuck with her for a few days but just said fuck it and went to another recruiter cause I couldn't handle her voice and knew I'd be fucked if I asked to work with a non nigger recruiter.
>>
>>31696580

What commissioning source?
>>
>>31696580

Pretty sure you want to go CID if you want to do cool cop shit instead of boring cop shit.
>>
>>31696857

Doesn't matter that much as an officer.
>>
>>31692629
SOF are the only people shooting these days. "Easiest" way (meaning the way with the lowest chance that you'll fail the training pipeline and be dumped somewhere else) would be Army Op40 contract. But the 75th is 100% manned right now so good luck getting one.
>>
>>31696922

>Doesn't matter that much as an officer

Wew lad
>>
Going to Great Lakes in a couple of weeks. I got AECF and was wondering if anyone knew if you get to choose between ET and FC or if they just assign you depending on what they need. I have conflicting accounts and I was wondering if anyone knew for sure or if it's a case by case thing.
>>
I'm looking into going active duty for Army intel. Specifically the generic 35F and the sexy 35L MOS's. Does anyone have experience working in/with those jobs?
>>
>100 years later and he's still an O-3

He needs to get his shit together. What does he need on his next OER?
>>
>>31696949

35F is pretty much luck of the draw as far as what you're actually going to do. It's good because you can go pretty much anywhere and do a huge range of things. It's bad because if your luck is shit you don't really have any specialized skills.
>>
>>31696983
I wouldn't be trying to get an analyst / contracting gig after I get out, so there's that to consider. The "jack of all trades" aspect is kind of what draws me to it, and I hear that it promotes fast.
>>
>>31691040
>enlistment
Literally fasttrack to suicide
>>
>>31697002

There was a 5~ year period where 35F was a very quick shot up to E-6. Those times are over now, but it still promotes faster than a lot of jobs.

You should never use "promotion rate" as a basis to pick a job though. Those things change a lot in the 3 years it takes you to get from the point you're picking a job to the point you care about promotion rates.
>>
>>31696950
An MOS?
>>
>>31697012

>Implying most of the people who off themselves in the military weren't on their way down that road long before they joined.

The military doesn't break people as much as it takes in a lot of broken people.
>>
>>31697047
>in the military
Vets are the much bigger problem desu senpai
>>
>>31692111
Army here, so maybe cant help all that much. But we went to Idaho for a while and helped with fires up there one time for a couple of months back in 95. A lot of logistical stuff though, some digging and back-burning. As for a career in nothing but firefighting, I would imagine it would be a fairly thin career path no matter the branch.
>>
>>31697040
I thought he was an infantry officer? Or was it public affairs?
>>
any tips on bullshitting your ASUs? "uh oh you're off by 2mm" fuck nigger
>>
>>31696949

You can't go straight into 35L according to the internet and the recruiter I asked. 35L looks sexy as hell though.
>>
>>31692111
>>31697073

There are firefighters in every branch, but it's a tiny field in all of them except the Navy. It's a bigger deal in the Navy because firefighting is actually more of a regular thing at sea.
>>
Tfw you will never be able to join the military due to old mental health problems and a gunshot wound.

My psych that I went to when I was 18 fucked me up for life. She diagnosed me with Antisocial personality disorder even though I only fit a few of the characteristics. Been trying to get that shit off my record for years but it's not happening. I asked my recruiter and he told me to lie at Meps but fuck that. I have a cousin in the Marines and he said that his first security detail they had him give them permission to look at his mental health records. If I get caught lying that's years in prison and a black mark that would follow me forever.

All I wanted my whole life was to go overseas and kill people. Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>31697151
>firefighting
>at sea

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>31697190
>She diagnosed me with Antisocial personality disorder
>All I wanted my whole life was to go overseas and kill people. Is that too much to ask?

From your very short post and the fact that you're on 4chinz at all, I'd put her diagnosis right on the money.

Sounds like your shrink saved the military from making a bad hiring decision, anon.
>>
>>31697204

In every other branch, you just call the civilians at the on-post Fire Department if there's a fire. In the Navy, you're on a fucking boat so you actually have to have uniformed firefighters there.
>>
>>31697218
Not him, but the Marines in their recruiting are looking for killers. They need more people like him. There are so many young men that just aren't cut for active combat duty. THey go over there and then come home and can't adjust. Pstd and then finally suicide.
>>
So my recruiter says he got me a $5k signing bonus to join. When do I actually get the money?
>>
>>31697237
Why would a boat catch on fire, dumbass? It's in the fucking water.
>>
>>31697190
>All I wanted my whole life was to go overseas and kill people. Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>31697300

>THey go over there

Go the fuck over where? The Army is barely doing combat deployments now, the Marines sure as fuck aren't.

It's 2016, combat hasn't been an expected part of an enlistment for over half a decade now.
>>
>>31697403
Friend just got shipped to the border of Somalia. Guarantee there is combat there, even if they tell them it's just peacekeeping. They are still sending troops to "hot" zones.
>>
>>31697425

>S-surely there is still combat to be had.

Keep telling yourself that. SOF is going places, as always. Sometimes there's a conventional detachment to support SOF, but those guys are mostly beating it and desperately hoping they get attacked so they can tell people they were in the shit.

If your buddy gets a chance to pull the trigger once in anger, he'll be in the tiny tiny minority of troops that have gotten to do so lately.
>>
>>31697309

Modern naval vessels have a lot of flammable shit, anon. There's a fuckload of expensive electronics, chemicals, and ordnance aboard. You better believe fires are a big deal.

They aren't worried about an aircraft carrier "burning down", they're worried about what is basically a floating city being set ablaze and it costing billions of dollars.
>>
>>31697507
You're being trolled
>>
>>31697309
3/10
>>
>>31694633
How did you not get 240?
>>
Shipping out to Air Force BMT in two days. Which of you needs is coming with me?
>>
They choose.
>>31696948
>>
>>31697309

?? Baiting?

Having a fire on a boat is a huge issue and fires start from like engine malfunctions and shit.

A boat is a fucking giant oil barrel in the middle of the ocean and if it gets on fire and you don't put it out quick you're super fucked.

Good luck jumping into an ocean and surviving when your boat catches fire
>>
File: muh monkey models.jpg (45KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
muh monkey models.jpg
45KB, 600x399px
Freshman in college here. I want to enlist in the Army as a 19K. How should I prepare physically?
5'8" and 150 pounds, give or take a few.
>>
>>31698607
Do all the regular exercises to get yourself in shape but also move a 45 pound weight back and forth as fast as you can until your arms give up
>>
>>31697403
>Army barely doing combat deployments
I just read in the Army Times yesterday that another 500 are headed over. Get your head outta your ass and actually do some research before spewing shit. I know people currently on combat deployments from chemo to aviation.
>>
File: 1445573208494.gif (2MB, 400x203px) Image search: [Google]
1445573208494.gif
2MB, 400x203px
Does anybody actually use their VA loans to build those Quad-plexes plus an office that you're allowed to build with them as long as you live in one of them? Or is that the loophole that nobody makes use of?
>>
>>31698607
Just do ROTC dude. Army gives scholarships like candy, you'll be an officer, better pay, better opportunities, and you'll have a degree.
>>
>>31698607
Drive everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Want to check the mailbox at the end of the driveway? Get in your car and drive there. Now you're thinking like a tanker.
>Be inna Army
>Be inna armor unit
>See tankers on a daily basis drive from one end of the parking lot outside of the barracks to the other to get to the DFAC

To train further, I would find the dumbest college graduate around you. I'm talking college football star who wasn't good enough to get drafted by the NFL and suffered one too many concussions. I'm talking borderline retarded here. Next, have that person boss you around all day. Now you know what it's like to be let by your average 19A.
>>
>>31698758

>Half a BN deploying as advisors is now national news.

Kinda proved my point bro.

Also most of those guys won't see one engagement.
>>
>the only way youll see combat is by going SOF

no the Army still deploys into Afghanistan and gets into firefights there
>>
>>31698416
About how much firearms training can you get after RTC? Also do you have to be FC to volunteer for VBSS?

Also if anyone has any experience or advice with VBSS I'd love to hear it.
>>
>>31696519
The military doesn't want a bunch of violent dangerous gangbangers and homicidal racists, they want somewhat well put together individuals. They want to be the ones to break you down and train you to follow orders during times of war.

Warfighters are different from killers. Warfighters should not be compared to killers.
>>
>>31698768
The nearest branch of my uni that has an ROTC program is 40 miles away, and I don't have a car.
>>
File: bigwheel.png (332KB, 800x590px) Image search: [Google]
bigwheel.png
332KB, 800x590px
>>31699374
I rode to my job at the steel mill 33 miles away for 24 years on a big wheel. You can do it.
>>
File: IMG_2733.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2733.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
So I've been accepted to go to my State's NG OCS program. Woo!

Unfortunately since I'm not prior enlisted, they want me to take the Traditional 18 month course. Ugh.

I'm honestly debating between doing that or just enlisting as 11b. I'm 29 and have a good career/life so I don't need the Guard, I just need to scratch that military itch I've had all my life.

I don't want to finally be 'in' proper like 2 years from now.
>>
>>31698207
>I meant to say 12:15 but whatever

I'm not the fag that got a 240, I just thought you were asking all anons
>>
>>31699374

Fuck that. Just do super well in school and drop an OCS packet your senior year. You'll still get your loans repaid.
>>
File: image.png (111KB, 479x403px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
111KB, 479x403px
>>31696857
The more boring the better.
>>
>>31699718
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the private that will brag to all the other privates:

>Yeah, I was totally gonna be an officer, but I'm so badass I chose to be a part time infantryman instead.
>>
>>31699731

Were your scores affected by the lack of good PT in basic?

What did you score on your first PT test after basic?
>>
File: 1447732785919.png (620KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
1447732785919.png
620KB, 700x480px
>>31697237
Youre a moron never post here again.

>>31697309
Also a moron

>>31699158
>About how much firearms training can you get after RTC?
Its over in the blink of an eye. You dont even use real ammo from what i remember.

> Also do you have to be FC to volunteer for VBSS?
No, who told you that?

>Also if anyone has any experience or advice with VBSS I'd love to hear it.
Its just playing dress up. People are going to make fun of you and call you a try hard faggot. PLus its just more work you gotta do on top of all your additional work. It isnt worth it at all. If you wanna play with guns go be a SEAL. Otherwise when its time for you to be sleeping instead youll be drressing up with nowhere to go.
>>
>>31701012
When people say they lost fitness in BCT, they mean they went from like a 12 minute 2 mile to a 12:30.

The whole goal there is to get you to pass the APFT, no way that anon arrived with a >240 and lost points.

That's why if you have a high speed contract you should arrive at BCT in shape. Don't rely on it to get you there.
>>
>>31692111
It is possible to get firefighting in af, its just a small afsc
>>
>>31692569
Air force combat controller
>>
>>31697304
Probably at the start of tech school
>>
considering joining national guard. I'm a fulltime student though. i've heard i can serve in the military kind of like a day job, while still going to school. how true is this? also, if this is true, can i be deployed while also being a fulltime student? how much can i expect to make off the bat every month? i want to talk to a recruiter but between my job and school, i never have the free time to go down and talk to them before the office closes.
>>
>>31691040
Fuck me
I have no motivation to run
haven't run in a week
>>
so what happens if you fail PT requirements in basic? do they kick you out
>>
>>31704001
Depends on your branch. I imagine AF doesen't give a fuck if "you tried real hard"

Army will do the same if you're in some REMF MOS, but combat arms you get recycled and get to do BCT again or sent to fat camp.
>>
If I'm interested in doing Platoon Leaders Class, when should I contact a recruiter? I'm a junior FWIW
>>
>>31704101
I would just wait until you graduate and try to do OCC

It's more competitive but you won't get into a weird thing once you graduate. I've heard of people waiting 5 months to go to TBS
>>
>>31704101
Junior in High School? Or Junior in College?
If the former, talk to them soonish. If the latter, talk to them tomorrow, because you're way the fuck behind on the path.
>>
>>31704139
College

I think I'll take the other guy's advice and just wait. Probably will spend this summer improving my PT score and maybe taking classes.

If I want to do intel, which is the best branch to try to commission into do you think? I heard Navy Intel is extremely hard to get as an officer
>>
>>31704209
are you the guy I linked shit to last thread? what's your GPA and degree? wanna do cyrpto work or be an intel officer?
>>
>>31704232
Nope, never posted here before

I have a 3.48 in electrical engineering (at a top public engineering school though I'm not sure that gets looked at). Don't really care crypto or normal intel
>>
>>31704052
>fat camp
you have my interest
>>
Is 21 too old mentally to enlist?
I know i'm physically still in good condition, but damn, I might have to go through the equivalent of fucking high school again with literally everyone chewing my ass out.
At least the Air Force is going to be easy, right?
>>
>>31704245
>>31689592
You can start your application now before graduating and take the ASTB which you want a 60+ to have a good shot at it as long as you stay on track to graduate the next year.
GPA and degree do get looked at. You got good ones
>>
>>31691491
>Sucked at core workouts and had not done much training by way of cardio or bodyweight

anon, what did you think you would be doing?
>>
>>31691040
Whats the best way to get the Army to pay for my college. I would want to join even if they couldn't help me out but I would prefer to find a way to let the Army take care of schooling expense. And also how can I do college and the Army at the same time?
>>
>>31703517
Typically you'll work one weekend a month and make around $300 depending on rank. You have to go to initial training, though, which entails around 4-12 months of full-time training where you can't go to school. You get full time pay when you're at training.

If they put you on activation orders for some reason, that will also pull you out of school.
>>
>>31704297
Protip: College environment is still like High School, as is literally every entry level job.

The idiots you met in High School will be your peers until you die, get used to it.

Average (mean) age of new enlistees is over 21, you'll be fine.
>>
>>31704324

ROTC scholarship or enlist and do school in your free time with TA. If you wait to go to college after you serve, the GI Bill is an insanely good education benefit.
>>
>>31704309
Thanks

I was talking to my local Naval Officer Recruiter about NUPOC but kinda determined I wasn't interested in doing it, I might just tell him that but say I'm interested more generally in becoming a Naval Officer and perhaps what I should do
>>
>>31704373
what is TA? thanks for the replay btw
>>
>>31704275
Basically a separate unit for fatties and medical rehab cases. From the stories and what I saw of them, it seems like the fatties do pretty much nothing but cardio all day, only interrupted by breaks to do strength exercises and eat special no-fun-allowed meals.

They will fix you, or break you. If you break as a fatty, you get kicked out. If you break as a rehab, then you leave as a med board and get to live out the rest of your days getting paid to be a useless cripple dealing with the VA's bullshit.

>>31704209
I know fuck-all about the Intel job, let alone other branches. Even from an infantryman's perspective, the intel people I met were all a bit fucked in the head.
>>
>>31696949
Okay so 35F is the best way to get a foot into any direction you want in the army.
>want opt 40 but cant get in contract? At ait you can get that easily if youre prepared
>want the shortest contract and a TS? Boom 3.5 year contract
>can be assigned to every base, so you can request assignments when you get to that point in your career

For 35L all you need is 2 years TIS and have at least 3 years left on your contract or willing to extend so you have that extra time. Going the 35F route is not a bad starter mos if this is your end goal. Youll have a TS already so you dont have to wait the 2-9 months of being on casual status until you get an interim clearance to do classes. And if youre a pt stud youll have the gafpb and most likely airborne from 35F ait, which always makes your "resume" better.
>>
>>31704297
I did infantry at 24. It was a perk for me. As long as you've got a good ASVAB, being more composed and mature opens certain doors that you might not even know were options. I had the opportunity to do Old Guard, and turned it down and ended up getting a slot at sniper school anyways.

Dunno if the AF does similar stuff, but high-ASVAB 11b is a lot more than just grunt.
>>
got basic in feb then moving to infantry
you guys got any tips to prepare for it physically/mentally?
>>
>>31704378
Tuition assistance, money for college you can use while active duty. Generally you bundle it with federal aid.
>>
>>31704297
Yeah if you have the easy way out mindset the Air Force is just right for you.
>>
>>31704435
>Basic
>Then Infantry

Do you mean you're going to OSUT starting Feb or do you have some pipe dream you're going to reclass into 11 series after AIT?

Its not happening right now.

Go run a lot.

Do 30-60s, don't run like a slug for lots of miles. Do 30 60s then 60 120s.

Do push ups.
>>
>>31704380
>Even from an infantryman's perspective, the intel people I met were all a bit fucked in the head.
How do you mean
>>
Is it possible to get a boring desk job where I can sit on my ass and still shitpost here? How do I get this or should I just go to the post office
>>
File: 1474567502729.jpg (30KB, 554x554px) Image search: [Google]
1474567502729.jpg
30KB, 554x554px
>>31704435
Went through in 2008, so some of this might've changed.

PT your goddamn ass off. You might feel comfortable with your 200pt score now, but try doing that with sleep dep and a cold that makes it hard to breathe. The only solution is to drink water. Also, if you can find some anti-bacterial spray, hit everyone's boots and lockers and the barracks vents if possible. That should give you a day or two of recovery.

Feb at Benning is going to be colder than balls, and you're going to be outside for it. When they say take off your wet boots and change your socks before going to sleep when you're in the field, fucking do it. You feet WILL freeze to your socks which WILL freeze to your boots which WILL fuck up your feet which WILL force you to recycle. Shit like this happens all the time. Being able to pay attention to detail when you're sleepy and feel like shit will save your damn life. I guess you could practice for this by occasionally skipping a night of sleep and still functioning.

The famed "Shark attack" when you first go downrange is a decoy. The real mind games begin on the first night. In my case it was a fire drill at 2am. Play the game. It's all a mind game for the first few weeks. Then you find out which of your DS are bros are just assholes.

You're going to see more homoerotic shit in the barracks than you imagined possible. We're talking an entire platoon of infantry singing backstreet boys in the shower gay.

Infantry BCT is different than everyone else's basic in that the DS are all infantry and will do everything they can to make sure you're ready for what you're getting into. TRADOC's "rules" aren't quite as strictly enforced for infantry. You're gonna fuckin earn that blue cord, and you'll be proud of it.
>>
>>31704587

Pick something in intel/cyber/tech support and you should have regular access to a shitposting machine at work.
>>
>>31704532
not sure how the american system works im aussie so basic then initial employment training for infantry then i move to a unit after

ill make sure to do all those, thanks
>>
>>31704598
thanks for the in depth reply man
>>
>>31704435
Start doing couch to 5k now, to get your run good to go. Do some generic lifting program to get your strength up. Do pilates or yoga for core and flexibility. When you do all these and complete the running program, you should have your run time down to about 13 or 14 min 2 miles, push ups should be in the 60-70s, and sit ups in the 80s(assuming your an avg to below avg shape person).

Dont practice rucking and dont fuck your body up with crossfit type shit. Keep you movements and exercises to the basics. Basic is all basics. You can literally go there as a fatass and come out a string bean.

Some things to teach yourself while you wait:
>how to use a compass
>how to do hospital corners military bed setup
>how to clean guns and maintain them
>how to range distances
>how to take care of feet and boots

Things to take with you:
5 gallon bag ziplock slide lock bags(these are used to store your civ paperwork, mil paperwork, and vacuum pack your uniforms for rucks and such)
>cheap armitron watch that tells mil time, doesnt beep every hour, and has an alarm
>go to a running store or the walking company and spend a good chunk of money on propper shoes for your feet(keep it simple colors like black or grey)

Some notes for after you finish bct:
>dont buy any of the graduating/motivational shit they sell at the end of bct
>buy a pair of garmont t8 boots. Best all purpose boots in existance.
>ask your squad leaders and platoon sgts about how to submit packets for airborne or rasp if that interest you. Better to hear it from them than from the guy living across the hall who knows a guy.
>take leave every chance you get. Dont be that guy who stays on base for xmas because they want to save their leave to sell or whatever at the end of your contract. Thats stupid, go travel to another country or go do something youve always wanted to do(i attended stund driving school for 5 days for example).
>>
>>31704431
Thanks for the advice, ready to bust my ass anyway
>>31704508
>tfw too lazy to be combat control
>>
>>31704587
I had a buddy who went satellite ops. Had absolutely nothing to do except bitch online about how he had nothing to do.

>>31704547
Just...off. You know how you meet people and they're strange? Like they'll tell a funny joke and then take it a bit further and say something really fucked up, and they're the only one laughing?

Maybe it's all the secret squirrel shit they're involved in that they can't talk about, but it ends up as s sort of uncanny valley human. Like they're psychotic, but keeping it in control but they're still not 100% sure how to interact with real humans.
>>
>>31704599
sounds good, would rotc be of any good in this case or should I just go through college regularly? Also what does admin do and how meme worthy is this
>>
>>31704662

That's just regular ol' autism, anon. Autists do really well in intel.
>>
>>31704666
Admin is literally paperwork in an office, except you wear a uniform and some fucker is going to insist on calling you a hero and punctuate sentices with "hooah" or whatever branch-specific bullshit they've cooked up.

There's a reason everyone else calls REMF jobs names. It's not really a military job. The only difference is that you can't fuckin quit.
>>
>>31704707

>There's a reason everyone else calls REMF jobs names.

"Everyone else" constitutes like <20 % of the military. Most jobs are REMF.

The "average military job" in 2016 is literally working in an office. That's just reality.
>>
>>31704657
My company had a platoon of baby SF (18X) in it, and within that they had like 6 combat controllers who had already finished the AF version of basic and were doing the Army side. They thought they were hot shit, but when shit got real 4 of them didn't even make it through the second week. I'll make fun of the AF all day long, but CCTs are legit.
>>
File: mh-6 gunship.jpg (97KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
mh-6 gunship.jpg
97KB, 1200x900px
>>31691040

Anyone here a flight officer in the Army?

I wanna do the WOFT street to seat program when I get out of college.

Ive got pretty lackluster grades rn, but should graduate with around a 3.0 GPA. Will that be competitive enough for that track? my degree is Finance
>>
>>31704751
>3.0 in non-STEM
>competing for a competitive billet
>>
>>31704698
I think my recruiter instantly knew something was off the moment I walked in.

ship in January, 35F
>>
>>31704751
I can't say anything specifically about it, because I never looked into it too deep, but from the people who were trying, Army aviation's crazy competitive.
>>
Is combat engineer a shit mos right now
>>
>>31704799
Yup, but if its what you wanna do, then do it. Dont expect eod type shit. Try your damndest to go to sapper school. And dont take a contract longer than 4 years. Even if theres no bonus
>>
>>31704001
Af has 3 during basic, the only one that matters is the last, if you fail that one you get put into a "get fit" flight
>>
>>31704853
What do you do, how are deployment opportunities
>>
>>31704894
Im in a shit unit stateside now and all we do is inventory and maintenance for the day to day. I try to get our guys refresher training every so often, but i also dont wanna take away their free time.

I will say the skillsets are useful for people coming into this field with zero knowledge of anything. You will learn some shit most regular people dont. Its nice on deployments when you can actually feel useful, but nowadays the downtime is killer. I have to force guys to do refresher training on shit with new guys just so were all on the same page.

Ive been in for 9 years now, and im considering reclassing but i just cant convince myself to learn a desk job. I didnt do sapper course which i always regret, im too physically broken now to keep up. Same goes for airborne and such. Ive pretty much kept my career afloat by attending leadership courses and secondary shit.

My 2 cents is if youre interested in the job, go for it. Its only 4 years and youll at least learn something.
>>
>>31705023
How does it compare to infantry?
>>
Do you get the impression that your officers are rich or merely middle class?
>>
>>31705496
Officers are pretty solidly middle class up until they go flag grade. Remember that middle class goes well into the six figures now.
>>
Medically retired SSgt, explosive detection k9 handler in the USAF. Ask away if you want to.
>>
Hey I was discharged on an EPTS injury from infantry OSUT, how likely is it I can re-enlist as a POG? My RE code is a 3 I think
>>
>>31691040
Hey military bros. 19 y.o male from N.Y here. Currently a NEET. Any of you mind answering some questions?
>>
>>31706158
wut u need my nig
>>
>>31706158
post boipussy
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 240x210px
>mfw army reserves ausland doesn't allow you in if you haven't done a team sport
>>
>>31706212
> group mastabation
>>
>>31706166
>>31706191
What's on my mind:
What are the chances of me landing a Army signals/ physiological ops / or intelligence anyalyst job?

What is the environment like in these jobs (if you know or have heard of) ?

I tend to mind my own business and not engage socially too much although I can if needed, is this a plus or a minus for that field?

How hard would the transition process from civilian to solider be for someone like myself: frail, somewhat of a pussy but at times tough as nails and flat feet that only become an issue when running for days....?
Thank you.
>>
>>31706220
Depends how well you score on your asvab. Talk to a recruiter and make it clear that the job or field you want. If you're a retard then you're fucked. I'm guessing you mean psychological and not physiological ops. You can't just walk into that field. You need some experience in something like intel or combat arms and a good GT score. Then you can re-class into that. its technically SOF.

I scored a 94 and had a 123 Gt score and chose infantry like a dumb motherfucker. So if you can get a nice POG job, go for it.

As for being socially retarded and weird, you might get teased a bit, but it doesn't matter as long as you do your job and pull your weight. If you are frail, take steps to get your ass in shape. Flat feet may be a problem. It certainly would for Infantry, but I have no idea how non-combat MOS works with all that.
>>
>>31706220
>>31706236
Oh yeah and another thing, talking to a recruiter in no way obligate you to do shit. You can back out whenever you want until you ship out. So my advice is to swing by the office, have a chat, take a practice asvab and see where you stand. Don't let him walk all over you. He isn't your NCO and you aren't in the Army yet. He's trying to get you to join. Not the other way around.
>>
>>31706212

Wait, are you serious?
>>
>>31706212
alpha males only faggot
>>
>>31706236
>>31706246
Thanks. What makes you think anyone is going to walk all over me? Just curious.
>>
>>31706268
Because recruiters can be pushy and manipulative and NEETs have low self-esteem and a desire to please. Remember you are there for you and your life, nobody else.
>>
>>31706246
Also, I'm not really gung ho on those specific jobs but looking for a job that won't bombard me with physical work.
>>
>>31706275
Thanks for looking out bro. Hopefully he/she isn't a dick.
>>
>>31706276
What do you mean physical work? Because if you don't want much physicality and you're kind of a nerd then the Air Force or Navy may be better suited for you. Air Force has better living conditions than the Army too.
>>
>>31706285
I got a high school friend in the marines and he says all he does is get paid to workout, I think he's in infantry though. That's the type of work I'm trying to avoid, and yeah Air Force was my go to but I read somewhere on here that it's very competitive and that GED holders rarely get in.

Does navy have much room for promotions to jobs like the army has where you can get picked up by companies or agencies after your service.
Sorry if I'm asking too much. I'm just trying to figure this out.
>>
>>31706303
You're good. The Army has the most opportunity for advancement and promotion. Since you sound like you aren't about the physical stuff then definitely stay away from combat arms. Highly physical. My advice would be to go for comms/signals, intel, human resources, etc. If you don't mind working with your hands than you can do mechanic shit too. I always thought that'd be kind of fun to be honest. Easy and useful skill. Psychological warfare is SOF so you would be expected to be ready for the field and combat, just so you know. Probably not up your alley.
>>
>>31706303
>>31706315
Oh I just noticed you were asking about after your enlistment. And yeah man the Navy has opportunities afterwards just like the Army. Army is a lot grittier than the Navy is. Tougher and meaner. Not as bad as the Marines. But definitely harsh lifestyle than the Navy.
>>
>>31706212
yea had my assessment day 2 weeks ago.

they're really big on teamwork and employment. if you havnt experienced those 2 things then you got 0% chance of getting in which is fair enough I guess
>>
>>31706315
>>31706322
Thanks. Are you serving in a branch now or a vet? If so which one?
>>
>>31706322
>Army is a lot grittier than the Navy is.
Um what?
>But definitely harsh lifestyle than the Navy.
This is wrong as fuck. Living conditions on a ship are the shittiest in existence.
>>
>>31706401
>Living on a ship is harder than a foxhole in the cold rain

yeah bro mopping floors must be so hard i feel bad for you
>>
>>31692111
I'm literally on the bus to tech school right now, my flight had like 4 fire protection guys. The recruiter might not be getting the jobs, talk to another
>>
File: 1449371248631.png (98KB, 828x828px) Image search: [Google]
1449371248631.png
98KB, 828x828px
>>31706481
Whens the last time you were in a fox hole you stupid faggot? Im talking right now in 2016 being on some cushy army base is way easier than being at sea on a ship.
>>
>>31706525
Wrong
>>
What happens if you're in ROTC and graduate early?
>>
Pls redpill me on going into intel.
>>
>>31706525
lmao navy having worse conditions than army? Get fucking real bro.

In order of comfiness Airforce>Navy>Army>Marines

Why dont you go take a quarterly record pt test, o wait you only need to do pt when you feel like ranking up.
>>
>>31707917
be specific, what branch, or field are you interested in
>>
>>31707938
Leaning towards 35L and 35M, and of course more about the entry level 35F
>>
>>31708018
Well read the thread again, i posted reasons why 35F is good already.

35M is okay if thats all you want to do. Super difficult to get slots for extra shit since its filled with high speed individuals who all want to be sf and ranger. 35F, your competing with a bunch of neets, so hardly anyone actually tries out for shit.

Ok so here is what a 35f does on the day to day, wake up, work out, eat food, do paperwork/dick around on a computer, eat, dick around some more, work day is over. Thats what a basic 35F does. Obviously if you had airborne or whatever you would do additional shit.

35L are basically what you think a special agent for fbi does. Paperwork profiles and driving. What makes it so great is that you are for the most part in civilian clothes and you hardly ever do army things until you deploy.
>>
>>31696519
Because 98% of the time you aren't killing shit dumbass

T. 11b
>>
File: 1453585633255.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1453585633255.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
>hate bugs
theres not that many bugs right?

how long does it take from the application to being accepted?
is there a chance i wil comeback alive?
who records the battles and other shit?
how often can people war crime? how do i not get raped?
can we keep cool shit? can we use captured weapons?
>>
>>31709136

No you don't keep shit.
No you don't use captured weapons unless you're a combat arms instructor or armorer. Fucking ever.

There are bugs fucking everywhere and you will eat them in the field when we haze you.

Take your faggy teenaged anime loving ass to the Navy.
>>
>>31707795

You don't graduate early from the ROTC. It's a program that runs three to four years to get you educated before you commission. There are a lot of different scholarships, and some people do ROTC without getting any financial assistance from their branch of choice whatsoever.
>>
>>31709153
but i cant swim and only like hentai
>>
>>31706212

>when your country has absolutely zero modern combat experience so barren 70 year old women in parliament draft fucking retarded enlistment standards

"This guy has an EMT license and grew up hunting and fishing, his dad was a cop."

"Sorry m8 I don't see tennis camp on this application."
>>
>>31709175

They teach you how to swim. If you spend the majority of your free time on the internet watching shit and playing games, you will hate the drastic and sudden life changes that non maritime services bring. You will have no free time, everything you do will be inspected and graded, your classmates in your training class will all be anime hating Chads, and you will be constantly overworked, deprived of sleep, and forced to sleep in areas with either far too much gear in a hot ass shithole, or outside with far too little gear. You need to be completely serious about changing every single facet of your life.

And again, the Navy or USCG will teach you how to swim. The way they want you to learn.
>>
File: 1453640288674.gif (306KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
1453640288674.gif
306KB, 400x230px
>>31709238
sounds just like how i live so i think i'll be fine.
>>
>>31709268

Hey, prove me wrong, friend.

If you're up to grade and make it through to the end, you're certainly a worthwhile part of society. We see a lot of metal gear obsessed weebs in these threads that ask retarded questions like "Can I bring back the AK if I shoot a guy?"
>>
File: 1430781615962.jpg (237KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1430781615962.jpg
237KB, 800x1200px
>>31706667
>Wrong
Except it isnt

>>31707927
>Why dont you go take a quarterly record pt test, o wait you only need to do pt when you feel like ranking up.
So let me understand, living conditions and quality of life are dependent on how much you PT? Yep, youre confirmed stupid and butthurt.
>>
>>31692686

Hmmm.. Ft. Richardson?
>>
>>31709296
i just want a gun real bad and the ability to not go to jail for defending myself, leaving this socialist hell hole as soon as i get enough money. sucks not having freedom desu
>>
>>31693329
>Which enlisted intel MOS is best for post-service employment opps?

Any of them. They all have equivalent civilian positions.

However you're going to need a two year degree for contracting (you need to network for this) or four year degree for federal.
>>
>>31696983
>35F is pretty much luck of the draw as far as what you're actually going to do.

True, sort of. You'll always be doing All Source but the topic you cover can (and will change) depending on where you are and what your customer wants.

>It's good because you can go pretty much anywhere and do a huge range of things. It's bad because if your luck is shit you don't really have any specialized skills.

>don't really have any specialized skills

You would be very surprised how much of the general population is incapable of critical thinking or approaching topics with and analytical mindset or tools like ACH/Linchpin Analysis etc.

If you're not a shit bird and your CoC aren't cocks you'll end up getting very good at public speaking even as a junior enlisted.

If you go to a COCOM or deploy you can also end up getting a primer on ArcGIS and then working with it pretty extensively to create products (at least I did in the USFI J2).

>>31696949
>Specifically the generic 35F

Why do you think it's "generic"?

Do you know what a 35F actually does?

>and the sexy 35L

LOL It's going to be reeeeaaaaaaaaal sexy pissing in an empty Styrofoam coffee cup while on surveillance.

>>31697002
>The "jack of all trades"

It's not a "jack of all trades" job, you will specifically be performing All Source Analysis. What changes will be the topic you cover and that will be based on where you go.

You won't be walking over to the GEOINT cell and doing their job if you want, or walking over to the SIGINT cell to try that out (in fact they won't let anyone but SIGINT near their cell except to hand you tear lines, because while you all have a TS/SCI you're all read onto difference programs at different times and you don't have need to know what they're doing).

>>31697122
>You can't go straight into 35L

Also this. It changed while I was enlisting in 2006. A buddy of mine who went in 99 went straight in as a 97B/35L, and I had planned to do the same when I enlisted.
>>
>>31706504

This is how job training classes fucking work, anon. Everyone in the pipeline ships about the same time so you don't have guys waiting months for the rest of their class to show up.

Every time someone mentions a small job field some jackass chimes in with "I went to basic with like ten of those dudes, can't be that rare!" Those ten dudes were probably half the billets for the year, nationwide.
>>
>>31691491
sad motherfucker, you didn't even make it to bragg.
>>
>>31709404

This is kinda disingenuous. Experienced intel guys will get jobs regardless of their specialty. Problem is that becoming experienced is a very different problem for different jobs.

HUMINT? You have to deploy, period. Didn't deploy? You're basically a shitty linguist if you have a language, or a shitty analyst if you don't. Hint: odds of a deployment are low.

GEOINT/Cyber? You work strat pretty much exclusively and will probably get real experience/certs.

SIGINT/All-Source/Systems? Depends on where you end up, potentially a lot of opportunities for certs and good assignments for your resume. Potentially in a non-deploying line unit not doing much.
>>
>>31709512

>True, sort of. You'll always be doing All Source but the topic you cover can (and will change) depending on where you are and what your customer wants.

You say that, but Foxes are always the first to get pulled to instruct classified software courses, work S2, become a local sysadmin, etc. No two 35Fs seem to have the same career path, despite what the on-paper job description says they do. Even you admit to diving a little deeper into one specialty (GIS).

They're treated as "general intel" a lot, often because they're the only intel guy around at the smaller elements. That's not a bad thing though, being an instructor or security manager is a huge bullet point on a resume, as are skills like GIS or computer certs. Plus, 35Fs can get a lot of boots-on-the-ground opportunities that aren't really available to intel specialties who can only work from a high-tech operations center.
It's a great place to be if you want to sample a lot of roles, and if you don't want to be confined to either strat or tactical land.
>>
>>31706260
Dead serious.
>>31709202
Funny that because I go shooting and spearfishing every week, only thing is my dads not a cop and I don't have an emt licence. But either way I'll take up a season of baseball since I used to play, should turn out alright.
>>
File: 1476159141444.jpg (342KB, 893x859px) Image search: [Google]
1476159141444.jpg
342KB, 893x859px
Looking to pursue Pararescue. Been training over the past few months and have already dropped about 25 lbs. I'm 6 foot even and my scale says I weigh 250 lbs 25% bodyfat. Another scale I used said 249 lbs 27% bodyfat last week.

Am I fucked? Will they let me in? The recruiter I briefly spoke to said I'd need to weigh around 190 lbs for my height and that just isn't possible for me. Even in peak physical condition I'd weigh in the low 200's. Will I need to lose muscle to make it in?
>>
Does your ASVAB score really matter?
>>
>>31710778
Yes, anyone who says otherwise scored low.

>>31710402
There a big difference between 250 and low 200s. You got 40ish lbs to go before you need to sweat the details. Youre still fat so lose weight.
>>
>>31691148
>implying recruiters don't heavily imply you should lie at meps
DON'T OVRRTHINK IT
>>
>>31710778
If you have to ask you're probably gonna get a low score
>>
>>31710778

It matters up until the mid 80s where pretty much everything is open.

As long as your line scores are 110 across the board you qualify for everything.
>>
Can I get a secret security clearance as kissless virgin? Other than having no romantic history whatsoever that I'm fairly normal, good middle class job, references, etc.
>>
>>31712002
It's possible. But you have to disclose that information in case you get caught later and lie and say you have impress the other guys.

So when they give the interview, make sure you tell them you're a virgin, and you want it put in your file. Even if they don't ask, tell them That way it's on record and less liability.

Source: I was in Intel
>>
>>31712002
No, they look at your dating history too. You basically need to be Chad. Sorry.
>>
File: 1464389437075.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1464389437075.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
>>31712176
>>31712178

Don't fuck with me anons, they ask you when you lost your v-card?

What if it was in HS? Isn't that a crime?

Do I have to tell them about romantic relationships? I-I-I dated a coke dealer (girl) once
>>
>>31712432
Well, don't post about it on the internet. The FBI will find it.
>>
>>31712447
Am I safe posting about it here? I don't wanna get spooked
>>
>>31712432
>I-I-I dated a coke dealer (girl) once
That sounds pretty hot/awesome.
Stories?
>>
>>31712176
>>31712178

my friend went to BUDS and has never had a gf before. Pretty sure he is not a virgin though.

I passed the background check for one of the country's top police departments despite my incel status so idk if you guys are being srs. Maybe I should just go 11B airborne until I get amy waifu and then try for Special Forces?
>>
>start flight school in a month
>been lifting all summer
>go for a run last week to get a little bit of my cardio back
>lower back hurts like a bitch
>as in, can barely run half a mile before I have to stop and stretch it out
>run a few more times
>lower back hurts like a bitch every time

Fuck. At least I have my gains.
>>
>>31712552
either shoes or form ever get any back pain while lifting?

You like the prospect of being an aviator? Im still thinking about it but fuck that 10 year commitment.
>>
>>31712563
No back pain while lifting. Only when running. It's my erector spinae muscles.

I've wanted to fly my whole life. And yeah, 10 years is a long time, but I knew what I was signing up for
>>
Any tips on working up stamina? It gets hard for me to breathe after awhile any tips on breathing too? thanks
>>
>>31712613
>Any tips on working up stamina?
Ya, keep doing it. You should be running every other day and walking on the days in between. Keep moving. Also loose weight if youre fat. There isnt some trick to getting faster or running longer, you just gotta keep doing it.
>>
>>31691040

was the other way around for me, went from being enlisted to NEET now.

>>31712002

they don't care or ask about your romantic history, the absolute most important factors in getting a clearance is not having debt and not having extensive contact with foreign nationals/overseas trips. things like admitted hard drug use are also a no-no, I dont think you can even enlist these days if you tell a recruiter you've done heroin/coke, they dont really care about marijuana. >>31712176 >>31712178 are just messing around, dont worry about it.

>>31712432

there isn't that big of an investigation with a standard security clearance either, they call up your friends/whatever references you give in addition to criminal history including even little things like tickets, credit score, and then you have an interview or 2 with a psych officer during whatever follow on training after basic. or anyways that was about what I remember for getting mine to work on bombers.
>>
>>31712656
What If I was investigated for a crime and interviewed by a detective for something. Nothing came of it and It never even made it to the DA (i think). Will that be brought up?
>>
>>31712743

no idea, depends if its on the record or not. if its not a conviction its probably unimportant.
>>
>>31712743
Is there legally open paperwork about it that they will find? If so tell them up front
>>
>>31712788
>legally open paperwork

tell me more please. The thing is over and done with 6 months ago. I was accused of some serious stuff but didn't do anything. It would just look really bad if they saw it.
>>
>>31712656
Thanks anon, as I said earlier I've passed police department background checks which are probably almost as thorough as TS, let alone just regular secret. Maybe I'll make it as a Green Beret after all.
>>
How often do enlisted gals and enlisted guys hook up? My recruiter said that drama like that is one of the worst parts about being on an intergrated ship.
>>
>>31712817
If the documents aren't sealed you bet your ass the investigator will find them. Just dodge the headache and ts delay by telling them upfront about it. If you didn't do anything it won't be a problem but trust me alot of people get away with using pot or something because it has no proof it ever happened but something like that will be found. A guy named my flight way back in basic lost his ts because he admitted to small shit that was documented
>>
>>31712871

Once is too many. Don't shit where you eat, anon.

Learn the simple joys of beating it to hentai in your bunk.
>>
>>31712871
I've hooked up with 2 girls since getting here to dli in April and before joining the military (joined at 22, 23 now) I never hooked up before. It's not too hard. The military gives you a confidence boost and females like it as long as youre not an egomaniac. Thankfully I don't have drama because the girls are still my friends
>>
>>31712923
I was just wondering about the drama. I used to work at a summer camp and we'd have entire days were nothing would get done because of shit like that.
>>
>>31712552
>>31712606
Are you a ROTC fag? Nice you got pilot but you overdid it. My recruiter put it best: DON'T OVRRTHINK IT!
>>
>>31712948
It's on the books that you shouldn't be fucking. It just isn't really enforced if it doesn't create problems. If it does create problems, then you're gonna get fucked by the big green weenie.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" might have been repealed, but the phrase still works for a lot of Army life. Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't actively chase .mil tail, if it falls in your lap, go ahead and take a swing, but getting thirsty will get you in trouble.

If you've got a deep need to stick your dick in strange, ask to get posted abroad, there's plenty of ready and willing civilian pussy out there that would love to take a ride on a prime specimen of male American in the peak of physical fitness. There's a reason Class A's are called Pussy rags. It's freakishly easy to get laid with that shit.
>>
File: yes.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>31712002
I'm kv and I got in just fine
>>
>>31712606
You need to check how you're running
I wouldn't jump to buying some new shoes with tons of support since the added support might just fuck up your stance more and cause more pain.
It happened to me, switched to some old ass shoes and it worked great
>>
Does spending a few years as Infantry wreck your body?
Because I'm not so sure I want to be broken and in pain at 40.
>>
>>31713649
Wartime infantry? Shit yes. You will have bad knees, bad hips, bad back, bad ankles. Jumping over eight foot walls with bodyweight +100lbs is bad for your joints.

Peacetime? No fucking idea. I doubt it, though.
>>
File: 1395496733217.png (1MB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395496733217.png
1MB, 919x720px
>>31713649
>not being broken and in pain inside already
>>
>>31710224
>This is kinda disingenuous. Experienced intel guys will get jobs regardless of their specialty.

If they have a degree. There is no work around and no exception. Federal civilian requires a Bachelor's and contract positions require an Associate's. I'm not talking out of my ass, I have intel experience, I have friends contracting and was working towards contracting myself and am now in school in a DIA sponsored program.
>>
>>31713729
I'm not broken and in pain inside, just numb
>>
>>31710292
>work S2

S2 is THE intel shop at the Battalion level. If you go to any higher level (G2 or J2) you'll be doing intel work. The only difference I experienced between the three was that with the S2 you MIGHT end up doing clearances. But only one person in our shop ever did and it was temporary.

>They're
>They're
>If you
>If you

I'm speaking from experience, and I had a distinctly unexciting by retard operator anon standards experience. And I still did what I consider to be cool stuff. But I worked at the J2 and G2 levels in difference countries working different topics. In Iraq in the USFI J2 I worked Baghdad city (the team I was on did Baghdad and Anbar provinces), while at the ARCENT G2 I worked MENA and South Asia topics during the first year of the Arab Spring.
>>
I recently got a 99 on the AFQT. I am physically fit, and an eagle scout. However I do have a misdemeanor DUI on my record. Given this background what is the best cool guy job I could get? What is the job with the most lucrative civilian applications I could possibly get? Thanks /k/
>>
>>31714325
You're basically literally me before I enlisted. You should be able to get a waiver for the DUI and be clear for basically anything you want to do.
>>
>>31714407
Yeah I've been given the impression a DUI won't hinder me from joining but will eliminate some jobs as possibilities.

>basically me

What MOS did you sign up for? Any advice to offer?
>>
>>31713535
I've been running for 4 years w/o issue, this happened after I started lifting (squats, deadlift, etc)
>>
>>31714503
I went infantry. Being crazy overqualified with the ASVAB and Eagle meant some really neat shit was dropped in front of me all the time. Getting your foot in the door on various special schools like sniper, jump school, pathfinder, or ranger. Old Guard is infantry only. VIP escort duty and the training involved in that.

It's not going to open fuck-all for doors after your time beyond the already flooded private security and LEO careers, and the GI bill if you want to go back to school and relax for four years afterwards while you get a piece of paper that'll get you a career in some other field, but it's a hell of a thing if you want adventure. But you're maxing the ASVAB, you're a smart guy and you'll do fine whatever you want to do.
>>
File: navy racoon assault.jpg (397KB, 600x831px) Image search: [Google]
navy racoon assault.jpg
397KB, 600x831px
>>31714325
>misdemeanor DUI
At least you're not this guy.
>>
who /goinginfantryandhopingwarsoon/ here
>>
>>31714649
>sniper

Been seriously considering going for 0317 USMC. Was going to do CTN in Navy before DUI but don't want to hassle with TS clearance now.
>>
>>31714503
There shouldnt be any jobs youre banned from getting due to dui. I have a buddy who went in with a dui as a 35P with a TS/SCI clearance. Ended up becoming an 18F later on.

Maybe criminal investigator type stuff, but i doubt it since I know another guy with a DUI whos an MP.
>>
>>31691040
Should I be worried if my elbow clicks while doing push ups?
>>
>>31714749
just go to the doctors and ask for more grease, you may be out
>>
>>31714782
fugg off
It happens on and off some days
>>
>>31714700
Honestly, I cannot recommend anyone deliberately aim for sniper. At least in the army, just getting a slot is crazy competitive, completing it is super prestigious, and it's only really open to infantry.

Though, I can't speak for the Marines and however they handle things.
>>
>>31714660

This is the inevitable state of all First Classes.

He's probably a Chief by now.
>>
>>31714797
What would you recommend then, as far as doing something 'cool'?
>>
>>31714749
It's a good thing. Gives you something to fixate on other than thinking over where exactly you fucked up to put you in the position where you're doing endless pushups.
>>
>>31714797
Based on my research the USMC process sounds similar to what you have described
>>
>>31714797
You were an 11b?

I went marine infantry with high scores too. Joined during surge.

Marine sniper is no joke either. I thought about it because my rifle qual was high expert. Then my unit had me become a range coach. So I said fuck it, I'll sit on my ass and help boots and others shoot/ watch the line.
>>
>>31714865
not guy your talking to, but why specifically do you want to go sniper? Because if its just to learn to shoot awesome vs operator, you could try and get in the armys marksmanship unit. You can apply for them while outside the army, and your contract will be handled a different way.
>>
>>31714831
I'm in that position because i'm a fucking hungry skeleton who doesn't want to be bottom of the fucking barrel for once in his life
>>
>>31714797
Do you want to 100% for sure get your war on? 18x/SF. It's brutal, but they're always off doing secret squirrel stuff during peacetime that only comes out when they write a book about it twenty years after the fact. Doubly so with Obama's foreign policy, and Hillary is looking to be even more into that sort of "limited intervention" model using SF.

If you're a smart guy and willing to bust your ass for your first enlistment as infantry with option 40 (airborne) and RIP(ranger school), you MIGHT have a shot at sniper on your re-up, but the chances of getting sniper school without having proved yourself first are basically zero. It's all subject to the whims and needs of the army.
>>
>>31714910
I love shooting and hunting. I like navigating and outdoorsy shit. I want to serve in a hands on role, and I would like to do something selective/difficult to minimize the amount of contact with the liberal bullshit/low standards that seem to be common today.
>>
>>31714946

I have to crack my right knee constantly and it's still fine 7 years later.

Just keep going, it might go away from doing pushups because you're building up support muscle.
>>
>>31714948
I think I am the anon you meant to address. I am not at all opposed to getting my war on, if I am going to enlist I want to really do it, if you know what I mean. I am 25 though and I would imagine I would be too old for SF shit on my re up.
>>
>>31714952

>minimize the amount of contact with the liberal bullshit/low standards that seem to be common today.

Don't listen to the internet bitter veteran brigade. They got out, got fat, got bored, and now all they have to do is stealth brag about their past on the internet by trying to knock others down. "Things were better when I was in" has probably been muttered since the 1780's.
>>
>>31714948
Another reason I have shied away from considering SF. I am 5'10 on a good day. I was under the impression SF were basically freak athletes.
>>
>>31714948
was meant for
>>31714814

>>31714899
Yah, 11b. I was the unit's "smart guy" and was on track to go to sniper school when my knees gave out and prematurely ended my career. I'm not even that good of a shot, but they told me that they're more interested in people with the right mindset/temperment rather than pure marksman skill. It is a recon and observation role first and foremost. They can train you to shoot, they can't train you to be calm.
>>
It says on goarmy.com that all officer candidates must go through BCT before OCS. What exactly does that mean? You have to go to basic?
>>
Hello. I was diagnosed with depression, PTSD, ADHD, and Aspergers when I was placed into foster care at age nine, since that is how the DHS makes money off of you. I can assure you all that I'm fine. I know I can pass MEPS, but will I be in trouble if/when I'm given a security clearance check? I'm considering Army, by the way.
>>
>>31715026
Oh yeah. I was always asked that too, "you some come kind of genius?"

I'd always say, "No I have slightly above average intelligence, but here in the grunts, yeah I am." Not that I didn't love my boys. Lots of them were actually smart just thought math and books were for faggots. Pretty keen battle wise.

I've actually told kids be careful joining infantry with high scores. They tossed my buddy in an Sshop. Basically poged the man. They had me attached to HQ platoon at one point in an intelligence capacity. If you're 100% sure you want a line platoon, dumb your score down a little, not even joking.
>>
>>31715017
I met a guy who's status was literally "waiting on Delta invite" at one point. Had been SF. Sniper. Pathfinder. Everything. Basically never stopped exercising, and the guy had this palpable aura of death. However, he looked normal as fuck. 5'10 is fine.

SF even used the phrase "Ranger Strong" in the same way other people would use the phrase "Retard Strong" aka "Too stupid to realize he can't lift that." They're not superhuman, just have training regimes on par with professional athletes.

>>31714988
I enlisted at 24, and they really wanted me to go 18x for the same reasons I was headed for that sniper school slot. They want someone who's composed and will be able to think under stress over a star athlete who's unhinged. Physical conditioning is easy if the mental will is there.
>>
>>31715094
yup. You go to basic as an E4 with all the other enlisted, then when you finish, instead of going to AIT like everyone else you go to OCS
>>
>>31715149
So lets say I wanted to do SF in the USMC, how would that work? Do one hitch as 03 and re up or what?
>>
File: df5.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
df5.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>31715222
>>
>>31715222
No fuckin clue. You'd have to ask one of the resident Marines.

Army you just go to the recruiter, take the ASVAB, get a kickass score and tell them you want an 18x contract. Everything takes care of itself from there.
>>
>>31715245
Not baiting. May just be legitimately retarded. Have not considered SF, was just curious.
>>
>>31715222
SF is army, You cant do that as a marine. You can try and re enlist into the army, but i doubt they would take anyone below an E5 that was fluent in languages.
>>
>>31715268
They're just arguing semantics. Marines have their own names for SF. Seals or whatever.
>>
>>31715137
>know I can pass MEPS
sure thing bud
>>
>>31715299
So I am just retarded then. Apologies. I am just trying to figure out what MOS to go after in USMC. Got 99 on AFQT, fit, and an eagle scout. Misdemeanor DUI. I'd prefer to do hands on shit.
>>
>>31715146
If it quacks like a duck, it's bad advice.

"Dumbing down" your score sounds absolutely retarded
>>
>>31715137
they dont want mentally unstable tards
>>
>>31715331
>Marines
>SEALS

Are you retarded?

>semantics

It's pretty fucking important. If one motherfucker says SF when he meant SOF, he's gonna get all kinds of different advice.
>>
File: 1476625673571.jpg (245KB, 701x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476625673571.jpg
245KB, 701x800px
>>31715341
Honestly, talk to a recruiter. If you get the feeling they're trying to railroad you into something, talk to a different recruiter. They do get commissions for successful recruits, so if they're fucking you around, go elsewhere. If they're also giving you shit, try a different branch. Army and Marines are largely interchangeable at the combat arms level, and even the AF CCTs go down the SF pathway, train with and get embedded in SF units. Not kicking down doors, but still going to exotic locales and enabling planes to blow shit up. I imagine they're in crazy demand all over the place with all the drone shit going on.
>>
>>31715341
I'm the Marine grunt (well the one in thread now). I scored high and actually wanted to be a medic. Recruiter said I'd have to join Navy, didn't want that.

So then I chose between Infantry or combat engineer. I said I can't choose... so he asked me "you want to kick down doors and shoot at people, or build bridges and hunt for land mines".

No one can make your choice for you (unless you go open contract kek). If you want high speed marine shit it's there, do your research. If you want something not SF but top class infantry maybe force recon. Everyone wants SF but underestimate how gruelling being an infantryman alone is.
>>
>>31715377
If you say so. Tell that to my buddy who spent 3 years in s3 and was told he was chosen specifically for high scores. He fucking hated it.

Everyone else is promoted by merit once you're in. They only pull out the old meps scores when they need to fuck a "smart guy" with a job they need filled.
>>
>>31715430
They aren't trying to railroad me, my recruiter has basically said 'whatever you want to do we can get' which I am sure is a kind of bullshit. The issue has been getting good info. I ask about different MOS and he basically says check online.
>>
>>31715439
I guess the best question would be, what if any 'elite' infantry jobs can I aim for in USMC in first enlistment?
>>
What do SF think of regular Infantry?
>>
>>31715486
Yeah, you're probably going to have to google a list of marine combat arms MOS and narrow it down to a few that sound like shit you're into.

https://www.military1.com/all-enlistment/318809-marine-corps-mos-codes/

Just looking at the list, you're probably going to be looking at something in the 03 series like 0321 sounds like it'd be a ticket to war if you're trying to be high speed, or 0861 if you just want to see shit explode.
>>
>>31715544
Honestly, not much. Marine elite units don't want cherries anymore than Army units do.

>>31715597
They aren't 15 year olds who like to argue. They understand we have different jobs/missions. Many were reg infantry. Were usually bros.

Also, SF are "special" because they do special tasks. It doesnt mean they're better equipped for conventional warfare. Maybe good at it, but only because those guys are good at most things. That's how they got into SF.
>>
>>31715171
Interesting

Do they slot you into leadership positions at BCT (I.e. are the DIs aware you're an officer candidate)?
>>
>>31715688
Thank you anon
>>
>>31715755
For the most part all E3 and E4 get a chance at leadership stuff like squad or platoon leader. Its not really forced more like, hey who knows the army song or who knows land nav, youre now squad leader.

Obviously the DIs know, but they dont care since all are treated equally. FYI its 3 DIs per platoon of ~50
>>
>>31715921
OK thanks

This is different from the process for the other services. When do you get to select which specialization you want? Does your BCT performance impact your OCS stuff at all? I appreciate it
>>
>>31715688
Does 0321 participate in combat or is it strictly recon?
>>
>>31715987
Keep asking the Army guy marine questions when an 0311 offered advice.

I hope you get 03 memed. Protip: not every field in 03 is infantry. Watch gen kill, or read the book, they were recon.
>>
>>31715971
For the most part you should already have an idea of what youre gonna be doing before you go to OCS. And yes it does, PT wise, and what you scored on marksmanship and such. Okay so in bct there is a score system for each training event such as landnav or medical, or the final training mission. But usually everyone gets marked as something like a 5/5 on everything if the DI is lazy as fuck. I wouldnt worry to much about that though. Just focus on PT and marksmanship while youre at bct. Maybe become proficient at landnav and memorize drills or whatevers in the skills handbook if you want.
>>
>>31716032
If he's OCS he should be coming in close to or maxing the PFT or whatever the army uses anyway
>>
>>31716032
Alright thanks a ton. I'm going for Intel but I'm only in my third year of uni so I'm a bit out of doing any of this
>>
How do SSBIs go down?
How long do they take?
>>
>>31716111
>>31716111
>>
>>31710402
>Pararescue
>25% bodyfat
boy do i have some news for you
>>
>>31716168
I was 35% when I started training 3 months ago

I hope to be physically ready sometime next fall
>>
>>31713730
Buddy just got picked up for a decent federal job with no degree. Not the norm though.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.