[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can somebody please explain to me why if 1911's are still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

File: luger.jpg (51KB, 751x491px) Image search: [Google]
luger.jpg
51KB, 751x491px
can somebody please explain to me why if 1911's are still being made lugers aren't

literally why cant somebody start producing new ones
>>
>>31645880
nobody has the tooling and it would be a really dumb gamble when there isn't already an established market for new production Lugers. How would you know if there's much of a demand for them? 1911s have continuously been made in the US since always and they have always been available and there's always been a market for them, that's the difference.
>>
I'd buy it. Especially an artillery model.
>>
Unreliable as fuck. If you watch the video of Hunter S. Thompson shooting back at his neighbors, you can see how jamomatic the Luger is.
>>
>>31645880
Pretty sure a Luger is much more expensive to produce. The finish on the action has to be exquisite.
>>
>>31645880
The patent was bought by Stoeger post-war. They did make them, for a while, in 9x19, .380, and .22 LR. They did okay but not well enough to continue so it kinda fizzed out. There were a few other manufacturers that made more modern Lugers as well, I'm not sure if the patent ever expired though.

Another thing about them is they're kinda goofy, really. They don't have anything that's an actual advantage over other firearms, the toggle is less reliable and more frail, the reciprocating barrel can be problematic, 9mm wasn't super popular in the US until damn near the 1980's, the fact is that even if its cool it wasn't what American shooters were really looking for for the most part.

I'd buy one, no doubt, and most of Mauser's early pre-bellum parabellums too. But I don't see repros anytime in the near future.
>>
File: c96-5.jpg (69KB, 640x556px) Image search: [Google]
c96-5.jpg
69KB, 640x556px
I wish someone would make these bad boys again. Only ones I can find are damn near 100 years old and thousands of dollars.
>>
>>31645913
What ?
Mine works flawlessly everytime I take it to the range
>>
File: cc96.jpg (253KB, 654x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cc96.jpg
253KB, 654x1000px
>>31645940
You can find em sub-$1k from time to time, especially Bolos. I'd freaking love a box cannon but know I'll probably never own one. Who knows, maybe I'll achieve total snowflakery someday
>>
File: IMG_0775.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0775.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>31645940
I scored mine on gun auction for 700$.
Its a refurbish job but the bore is fucking perfect and will make a solid shooter.http://www.gunauction.com/buy/14083276
Here is a decent bolo that's probably gonna go for 500 sense hardly any one uses this site.
>>
A 1911 can be made with cheap parts, cheap metal that's easy to machine and put together with a loose fit. Want a basic one that runs? Easy. It will rattle, but that's fine. Want one that will drive tacks? Take the same design and build it with better metals, much tighter fit and finish, etc. but guess what? Now it's expensive.

A Luger can't be made cheaply with cheap parts and loose fit. It needs very careful fitting or else it won't work. Stoeger tried it and even on a smaller lower pressure scale running .22lr and .380 they hardly ever work. They were complete turds, nobody wanted to buy them and despite that they were still more expensive than much better .22 and .380 counterparts available from others.

There actually is a company in Germany that makes modern Lugers that are good,but boy are they ever expensive. They just have to be. It's a consequence of how the gun itself is designed.
>>
File: artillery luger stock.jpg (77KB, 700x294px) Image search: [Google]
artillery luger stock.jpg
77KB, 700x294px
>>31645913
Luger pistols typically work pretty well, Thompson probably just had a shitty mag for his, which really hasn't been an unusual thing in the US market, the old things just being worn out over the years, a lot of people were just rough on their pistols and it took it's toll.

MecGar makes new production Luger magazines, I'll promise you that the very same Luger that Hunter was using would perform with a brand new magazine inserted (you can tell it's the magazine misbehaving because the toggle keeps locking back even when it's not empty).

>>31645915
Yeah, it's kind of a little work of art, the machining is rather fine, and the action is quite complex, the 1911 is largely better because of this, being cheaper to make and involving less moving parts, with looser tolerances (but that's not to say the Luger isn't reliable or well made, it handles mud rather well).

I really want to own an Artillery Luger complete with it's stock some day, don't care if it's mixed in parts, as long as condition is good.
I also want a 7.65mm pistol too, because I think it's an interesting cartridge.
>>
File: RockIslandArmoryM1911-A1FSP.jpg (19KB, 553x356px) Image search: [Google]
RockIslandArmoryM1911-A1FSP.jpg
19KB, 553x356px
>>31646155
>A 1911 can be made with cheap parts, cheap metal that's easy to machine and put together with a loose fit. Want a basic one that runs? Easy. It will rattle, but that's fine.
This, absolutely.

Look at the Rock Island Armory, cheap and basic A1 spec pistol made by Flips, and it's all around very adequate for a low price.

The Browning style tilting barrel style of short-recoil really lends itself to much cheaper and easier production than the toggle-lock.
>>
>>31645981
Fooken nice, do you have a stock too? They're exempt ya' know.
>>
>>31645880
Because an unholy cargo cult of Philippino gunsmiths deep in the jungles of the Philippines worship the 1911 and make copies of it to flood the world with it's bulk and low ammunition capacity.
>>
>>31645981
Fuck, if only I was 21 I'd snatch that thing.
>>
>>31646546
Kek, perfectly normal pinoy buy Springfield 1911s too, and get trigger work done on them by gunsmiths too. You don't have to make it sound like ooga-booga.
>>
>>31646546
They do a pretty good job considering what they charge for them.

>cargo cult
Made me lel.
>>
File: Shaanxi Mauser.jpg (24KB, 644x332px) Image search: [Google]
Shaanxi Mauser.jpg
24KB, 644x332px
>>31645940
>>31645981
desu. had Nationalist China not lost the war in mainland China, we'd still be seeing .45 Shanxi Mauser copies today.
>>
>>31646670
More importantly they wouldn't have been communist.

Communism really sucks.
>>
>>31645880
they are still being made... in germany. they are expensive to machine and require hand fitting on several components for proper operation. it's a pre-WW1 pistol after all.
>>
>>31645880
The 1911 was constructed to be a tool, simple and working. Pre-war German pistols are little fancy artworks, fitted with unnecessary precision made in autistic manufactures by people who should rather had become watch makers. A new Luger is easily over 3000€ because only a handful of gunsmiths produce them one by one. We can just be happy that there were made enough of them during the war.
>>
>>31646729
You're dumb, the Luger was devised as a working army pistol, and it achieved this with flying colors, until the 1911 was finalized, the Luger was the very best pistol in the world, nothing was as well balanced and practical, nothing was as reliable and functiona.
>>
>>31646766
where did I say it's a bad pistol, I love the Luger, but when we construct shit it will always be space magic instead of being simple, learn to read faggot
>>
>>31645880
literally, they can
literally, they'd be priced $3K++

Look at the Wheeler/Webley.
>>
>>31646538
Did not come with the stock sadly,Already ordered one tho.
>>
File: stocked 1911 pistol.png (2MB, 636x1184px) Image search: [Google]
stocked 1911 pistol.png
2MB, 636x1184px
>>31646812
Nice.

I love stocked pistols.
>>
Who makes them in Germany? Might get one in the future
>>
>>31645981
>>31645940
I found a Red 9 on gun broker, contacted the owner and he is a really nice guy, 1920 reworked model.
My max bid was 1700, but it had a reserve that was not met at 1900, there must have been some kind of miscommunication, because he said that max bid was 1900, and his reserve was at 2000, so I thought he was offering the pistol for 1900, awaiting his response since I wont be able to do 2000.
blegh, its such a nice pistol
>>
File: Type 80.jpg (30KB, 585x320px) Image search: [Google]
Type 80.jpg
30KB, 585x320px
>>31646670
Wrong. The disappearance of the Shanxi Mauser had nothing to do with politics, but more on practical realities. Both sides of the Chinese civil war loved the damn thing. One of the best CCP generals, Zhu De, has a personalized Shanxi mauser made just for him.

What led to it's demise were 3 events.
1) Japan bombing China's warmaking industry to heck.
2) Lend Lease. Allies flood China with their own weapons. Allied weaponry outstripped locally made Chinese firearms. Nationalist and Commie armies were getting other people's handguns like 1911s n shiet.
3) Mainland China becoming communist. All Soviet weaponry was adopted since it was easier to import supplies from Russia rather than continue with local shit. Tokarevs replaces Mausers knockoffs and placed a nail in the coffin of the Shanxi Mauser Pistols. But then again, the Nationalists in Taiwan began using American handguns so doesnt matter who won, the Shanxi Mausers still died off.

That said, the romance of that handgun in China never really died. The firearm was after all associated with Chinese Big Sword units (a kind of stormtrooper of the warlord-period China who used a sword and a Mauser pistol). Norinco in the 1970s made the Type 80, which is a magazine loading pistol aping the look of the Mausers, but loads Tokarev rounds.
>>
>>31646902
Dont bother withe gun broker.Abunchof idiots asking way to
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.