[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/ 10/11/rise-fall-army-sur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/10/11/rise-fall-army-surplus-store/

Thought you guys might find this an interesting read, even if it isnt 100% accurate on some of the details.

coincidentally, bannermans castle is now a bucket list stop for anyone who is into urbex.
>>
Didn't most of the structure collapse like two years back?
>>
>art of memeliness
>>
>>31644349
>art of manliness
Isn't that written partly by the owners wife? And aren't they Mormons? Not the best experts on actually living a modern life
>>
>>31644383
there are still some walls up to my knowledge. I would love to go explore the island though.

>>31644405
yeah, I know, still an interesting take on surplus stores.

Im probably a little older than most of the board, and I remember surplus stores being really awesome places. At least a half dozen in my area have closed, and there is only one I can think of thats still open and its mostly overpriced chicom/budk shit
>>
>>31644416
>irrelevant complaints

its a goddamn story about army surplus stores, Im not sure what you expect from it.
>>
>>31644543
That's disappointing, and so is the article. I was thinking of going to a surplus store after I got a bit more money to buy something like surplus boots and maybe a rifle if they had one

I guess that's the price of America not being in huge ass wars anymore
>>
Fuck off back to your containment thread.

I for one am glad that your open sewer stores are finally dying since it means that only newer guns and gear which has more reason to exist than your outdated autistic fedora tier shit will be more readily available.
>>
>>31644704
Nigga you're pretty mad. Did a surplus store owner fuck your mother?
>>
>>31644349
Interesting read. There's still a few milsurp stores I'll frequent, but I feel like the quality just isn't there anymore especially when you can buy cheaper online. Shame. I do love that smell.
>>
It's right, "military surplus" became "made in China military style equipment"
>>
>>31644349
Where is this site where consumers can buy stuff straight from the military?
>>
>>31644704
did someone rape you with a genuine Fulton crookneck flashlight?
>>
>>31644765
like I said, the only one left near me shills Rothco BDUs for $60 and chicom trifold tinfoil grade shovels for $30

in addition to the 50 billion volt stun gun knuckles.

they have a few nice knives, at least they carry victorinox and CRKT, but they're WAAAAY over priced, worse than Gander Mountain who has a better selection.

all the flags they sell are super thin nylon.

they do have a limited supply of web gear and canteens and such

its just depressing.
>>
>>31644349
I laughed at those "jeep in a crate" ads in magazines for decades after they didn't exist any more.
>>
>>31644543
I remember shopping for m65 coats in them for years. At least i think they were m65s, we just called em army jackets.
>>
TL:DR:
>If you’ve been to one recently, you likely noticed that fewer of the products they carried were actually “military surplus.” Sure, the stuff might look military-ish, but it was likely bought from a foreign company that manufactures military-ish products instead of from the U.S government, or even a foreign government. You’ll also see product in the store that you probably wouldn’t consider “military surplus” like work pants and shirts, consumer camping gear, etc.

That's exactly what the few around here are. Pretty shitty
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 960x720px
>>31645040
>Fulton crookneck flashlight

Relevant, bought a non functioning one with no lens, reflector and endcap for 6 dollars in an American surplus warehouse. Found it under piles of UCP BDUs, canteens that I was sure were used as piss/spit bottles, AN/PVS-14 pouches, and E-Tool pouches.

I felt cheated, but
>muh Vietnam movies
made me push through the purchase.

Might convert to LED.

>shit photo related
>>
>>31644543
Sunny's was GOAT, then they went out of business shortly after the Iraq war kicked up. But that probably had to to with broadband internet booming right around that time. Honestly can't find one within an hour of me in MD. Last good one I went to still had a shit ton of Chicom and Rothco goods but at least it still had real surplus, it was in Petersburg West Virginia if I recall correctly.
>>
>>31647127
go to candlpower foruns, there was a guy there putting cree leds in old crooknecks
>>
>>31644349
Anyone know of any military surplus stores that have an FFL?
>>
>>31647127
Those fuckers are bomb proof. Did you check the bulb?
>>
>>31644349
all we need are a few big land wars or for the military to stop ditching everything overseas and we'll see good surp again. it's really a good thing when the world has been relatively peaceful enough to discourage the incredible economic wastes associated with military spending.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.