[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/ newfag to handguns here. Just got back from the range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 20161010_144641.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_144641.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Sup /k/ newfag to handguns here. Just got back from the range and as you can see in pic related, my shot groupings are coming in to the low left. Could any of you fine, experienced shooters give me some protips on how to correct my aim? I wanna blame it on the fact that I was using a G19 but I get the feeling its my trigger pull.
>>
File: highres_102028932.jpg (152KB, 1024x995px) Image search: [Google]
highres_102028932.jpg
152KB, 1024x995px
>>
>>31642904
/thread
>>
>>31642892
Shooting low usually means your anticipating the recoil and pulling down to counteract it. Practice dry firing to get used to slowly pulling the trigger until it breaks (fires) without jerking. Do it with a spent shell casing balanced on the front sight to really get used to not moving the gun while pulling the trigger.
>>
>>31642892
I had this problem for about three months when making the change from rifles to handguns.

No matter what handgun was, I was invariably screwing up my grip. The only finger on your strong hand that should be moving during trigger pull is your trigger finger. The rest of your hand needs to be firmly grasping the pistol with even, continuous pressure as you pull the trigger.

In other words, your grip is uneven and changing as you pull the trigger, causing you to pull the gun to the left.
>>
>>31642892
a slight pull to the left is common for new shooters with a glock. but you did manage to put 1/4th of your shots around the center so focus on doing that more
as for the low part aim higher or make sure the sights are actually level when you pull
>>
How big is that target ad how far were you shooting from?
>>
File: WIP.jpg (114KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
WIP.jpg
114KB, 1024x684px
>>31642904

Dude this is helpful as fuck, thank you my man.
>>
Dry fire practice only does so much.

You need to see what you're doing wrong by having someone else load your mag with mixed live rounds and dummy rounds. You will see yourself push the gun forward and down when it's chambered with a dummy.
>>
>>31643049
If I were still in MN, I'd join you for a range trip. Used to live 5 min away from Chanhassen Stock & Barrel
>>
>>31643084
Damn dude I just moved to Chanhassen a few months ago and discovered S&B with my roommate. One of the dopest indoor ranges Ive ever been to and an extremely convenient location.
>>
>>31643273
Yeah it's a nice facility, but their "brass casing only" rule can get fucked tho
>>
>>31642892
Likely your trouble is a symptom of edging into "intermediate" pistol shooting.

Beginners flinch away from recoil and that throws their shots all over the target but generally low. You, as an intermediate pistol shooter have gained some confidence and have subconsciously dominated the idea that the moderate recoil of something like the 9mm out of a G19 sized pistol is something to be feared and now your mind is able to think about exerting more control over the gun as you now have a greater implicit confidence. To not recognize this is a trap.

Your newly elevated levels of confidence are inclining you to attempt to "drive" the gun and manifest your control over it. You are not anticipating and shrinking from recoil anymore bur rather are attempting to meet it and beat it, "punching into" the pistol if you will. For a right handed shooter, punching in will drive the shots low left, for a left handed shooter punching in will drive shots low right. You have to get out of the state of mind of trying to dominate the gun by acknowledging that it's an inanimate unthinking object and it doesn't really give a fuck about how much you want to show it who's boss.

The gun's going to do what it's going to do and it's your job to compensate for it, let it do its thing and pull it onto target as soon as that's done with. This state of mind is how one masters follow through, and remedies the problem you are having.

People give Glocks a lot of shit about not shooting well but the problem is in the interface which makes it easy to overemphasize bad shooting habits, the trigger is a prime example of this. If the shooter can do his part,the pistol can too, in any reasonable context.

The group you shot is what a bone stock Glock is capable of at 150 yards out of a ransom rest. Nail down your fundamentals and you'll see your performance asymptote to what the gun is capable of.
>>
>>31643387
What the fuck sense does that make? Steel case shoots just the same as brass. Is it a foreign ammo has steel core thing? makes no sense if they allow .50 cal rifles and they're worried about steel case? Fucking idiots. Shoot somewhere else.
>>
>>31642921 clean and pretty looking chart, but wrong. It points in the right direction but it's not a silver bullet.

That target is an irony of the shooting world because it presents a self diagnosis tool that assumes too much precision of the beginners who might find it useful but to any shooter who can achieve enough precision to land in a single sector the ability to self diagnose should already be mastered and the problems in inaccurate but precise fire arise from other factors aside from novice technique and mechanics mistakes.
>>
>>31643049
Professional shooters and high level competitors think you are wrong, senpai. Dry fire is the foundation to maintaining fundamentals regardless of your level of skill.
>>
>>31643483
they probably collect and recycle/resell the brass. they cant do shit with steel casings
>>
>>31643442

Dude this is very helpful, thank you.
>>
>>31643505
Bullshit, that drill is exactly what we use to correct anticipation.
>>
>>31642892
Smooth trigger pull, focus on your front sight, don't look at the target.
>>
>>31643483
eh, they probably have a rubber compound in their backstop. any steel in the projectile carries a sparking risk that can ignite the backstop material

since steel case ammo usually has bi-metal jacket/steel core, they just ban everything.

...which is why i never went there to shoot
>>
>>31643505
Sure, I'm not saying "don't bother with dry firing". I'm saying "do the mixed ammo drill in addition to dry firing"
>>
>>31643559
>>31643627
It helps a lot, it's just not the silver bullet and it's not the way you train the issue out.

It's a great way to find what the problem is, but you iron out the minutia by yourself with hours of dryfire reps and other practices like the penny drill.
>>
>>31643767
>>31643627
>>31643559
ok, now that we're done circlejerking, i'm out
good night fuckers
>>
>>31643819
night, anon
>>
>>31642904
This has been proven to be false over and over again. Sure, that could be the reason, but more than likely it isn't
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.