[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I've been wanting to get a semi-auto hunting/SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: VPRS-308-01.jpg (79KB, 1200x368px) Image search: [Google]
VPRS-308-01.jpg
79KB, 1200x368px
Hey /k/, I've been wanting to get a semi-auto hunting/SHTF rifle and I've been eyeing the Vepr (am i extremely autistic?). I've been feeling shaky about what caliber to choose or even if i should look into getting an entirely different gun as there could be better options. I'm wanting either .308, 7.62x54R, and i've even considered 7.62x39 (surplus ammo is cheap). What do you think? Would a G3 or a FAL be a better option for roughly the same price? (bonus points for advice including SHTF survival goodies and tips)
>>
File: VERP.png (839KB, 1139x273px) Image search: [Google]
VERP.png
839KB, 1139x273px
buy the vepr
>>
I shoot left handed (blind in my right eye) do they sell lefty stocks? i've looked all over and cant find one.
>>
File: Molot AK.jpg (40KB, 660x274px) Image search: [Google]
Molot AK.jpg
40KB, 660x274px
>>31641794
I mean, 7.62x39 is still a legal hunting round for deer, and if you convert a Vepr or get one of the pre-done conversions like the FM-AK47-11, you get access to cheap steel surplus mags with 30-rounds, unlike the regular, very expensive Vepr mags. And the Vepr mags are expensive in any caliber really.
>>
If you really want to have a rifle that will last you and serve you well in SHTF scenario, you'll want an intermediate cartridge.

As gas as plinking and general enjoyment goes, FALs and G3s are more enjoyable to shoot imo, though much less practical. The ammo is more expensive, less common, and will be harder to reload if you're forced to during a SHTF scenario.

I'd recommend an AK in 7.62x39 for a practical rifle and maybe something like this* for plinking.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/vepr-rifle-762x54r-red-svd-style-detail.html?Itemid=0
>>
I'm personally been eyeing getting a 20" .308 to be my DMR and durr rifle.
>>
File: 1453581956066.jpg (622KB, 2048x1533px)
1453581956066.jpg
622KB, 2048x1533px
>>31641860

I like that red walnut, wood furnishings give me a hard-on. That aside, I've seen some Vepr's chambered in 7.62x39, is the Vepr really that much more durable than an AK? i'm concerned about how heavy the rifle is to be carried for long distances (then again considering i'd carrying mags of 7.62x54R or .308 Neato 9.5lbs would be the least of my worries weight wise which is probably why you said to consider an intermediate cartridge.) I'd prefer not to spend more than 900 if possible, I want to make an investment but i've got bills to pay as well and would like to have the gun before the election is here. Firearms and ammunition prices already seem to by spiking with all the recent shit going on lately.
>>
>>31641986
The vepr is a reinforced RPK, which is an already a reinforced AK, so it's going to be heavier (~10-11 lbs vs. ~7-8 lbs), but much more durable AK
>>
>>31641794
.308 would be the best. That way you can take almost any game in the world. Plus it's very common so you'll be able to scavenge relatively easily if SHTF. I guess a Vepr would be okay, I haven't heard much about them other than being relatively cheap.

That said, you'll pay in weight for carrying a lot of heavy ammo and a (relative to intermediate cartridge chambered) heavy gun.

Personally I'm perfectly fine with that. I'll take a heavier gun firing a bigger bullet that is very common. That way I can have plenty of ammo and I can easily hunt deer or other medium sized game if I need to.
>>
i have a 23" vepr in 308- avoid.
i bought it thinking itd be like a DMR in a common easy to find caliber, which i suppose it is. but overall, its a generic rifle that does nothing particularly well. not super accurate, not handy, not really anything. its not fun to shoot (IMO) either.
CSSPEC mags are GOAT though, thats definitely one big advantage over the 54r models.
>>
>>31641794
I personally prefer the FAL simply because of ergonomics and a BHO. But really any of them will do and highly depends on what you can afford and what deals pop up.
>>
>>31642231
Then what would you suggest as a better semi DMR?
>>
>>31641986
If you think you can do this (or get someone else to do it) and file down the mag release so you can fully accept normal AK mags (look up another tutorial on how to do that I guess), the 7.62x39 Vepr would still be well under 900, but you'll still have the normal Vepr stock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECJg8OjTkKs
>>
>>31642265
Not him but for about 1k the PTR is good, FAL is good, G3 isn't terrible (might be better, IIRC did better on a mud test than the FAL). Really anything you see /brg/ circle jerk over.
>>
>>31642265
AR10
>>
>>31641835
takes literally 10 mins to put a bullet guide into a vepr
>>
>>31642265
thats really up for discussion. fals, 308 ars, ptr, etc they all have their pros and cons depending on what you want out of the rifle.
my response was specifically on the 23" vepr in 308. maybe the shorter barrels are more fun, who knows.
>>
Why can't canada have VEPRs...?

It doesn't even look all that "A SALT GUN" scary
>>
>>31641835
7.62x39 is legal to hunt deer but I don't think it's humane to try to take one past maybe 150-200 meters with it.
>>
>>31642363
>>31642372
I take it outside of the SVD, avoid russian guns then.
>>
>>31641794
For the price, a PTR-91 would be your best bet. Cheap gun, cheap mags.
VEPR .308 is a decently priced rifle, mags are expensive though. About $40 a pop compared to the 1-3$ mags for a PTR
The FAL is just sexy, mags aren't too bad.
>>
>>31643183
It's more that most of that ammo is surplus and isn't as common as .308. SVD (really you're talking a PSL) and SVT are both good guns, just heavy and you'd do much better both hunting and SHTF with a gun in .308. Could go with an AR-10, FAL, G3, CETME, or any other "battle rifle".
>>
>>31643666
>svt40
>good gun

Clearly never owned an svt
>>
File: SVT40 (2).jpg (756KB, 1440x2560px)
SVT40 (2).jpg
756KB, 1440x2560px
>>31643795
Yes I do. It shoots fine. Not the most accurate in my collection nor the lightest but she gets the job done.
>>
>>31643932
If you can tolerate a rifle which is a really picky eater, and which gas system is poorly designed, sure, I like it as my special snowflake rifle too
>>
>>31644093
Wut? It's not that picky. Just adjust the gas block if you're having issues with ammo.

It sounds like you don't own one nor spoken to anyone even slightly knowledgeable about them.
>>
File: nerf1942.png (2MB, 1440x2560px)
nerf1942.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>31644301

But I do own an svt-40, I like to keep this thing on 1.3, as it cycles russian surplus fine, but whenever I feed it chinese or czech, it has issues.
>>
>>31644545
Then adjust the gas block? Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>31644623

Doing that does nothing, I still get failures to extract, light primer strikes, and stovepipes with chink ammo
>>
>>31644852
Then that is an issue with the ammo, not the firearm. Sounds like the only way that chink shit would cycle is if you were using a bolt action. Which I'd be mildly worried about squib rounds.

Personally I haven't used chink surplus so I'll take that as a tip to stay away from it if I can.
>>
>>31642363
>Really anything you see /brg/ circle jerk over.
So a dude in a skirt it is then.
>>
>>31642363
I wonder if the Galil ACE in real fucking NATO will turn out to be a decent BR
>>
>>31644960

Hence my claim of it being a picky eater (not only chinkshit but also czech)
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.