[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k/ abandon traditional guns and ammunition when energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: SkFvwj9.jpg (26KB, 675x224px) Image search: [Google]
SkFvwj9.jpg
26KB, 675x224px
Does /k/ abandon traditional guns and ammunition when energy weapons are invented?
>>
>>31634744
with the current political climate there's no way that any of us would be able to get energy weapons. governments would legislate that shit immediately making it mil only. doubt even the cops would get them.
>>
>>31634765
>laser gun created
>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.
>>
Depends on how good it would be in shtf, e.g., would I have the resources to make my own energy?, replacement parts (if needed), how is the preformence of the weapon?, etc. It would come down to which one is able to preform better in the worst case scenario. But in all honesty, I would probably stick to traditional because it's what I'm familiar with.
>>
>>31634744
There is a difference between invented and effective.
>>
>>31634744
I assume it will be similar to how /o/ sees electric cars.

So no, definitely not.
>>
>>31634906
How does /o/ see electric cars?
>>
>>31634765
the government might be more accepting of present ccw laws in states it is functionable if LEOs and defense all have superior firepower.

even if firearms would no longer be functional of rebellious purposes they would still be useful for hunting, recreation and SHTF

Invention of a higher level of weaponry might make combustion weapons perfectly accepted for recreation, much like archery and other weapon sports
>>
>>31634786
It wont be available to civvies because its gonna be fuck expensive. Like all new technology.

The Internet was just a military thing and now its for plebs.
>>
>>31634744
>energy weapons
they aren't necessary, we will use projectiles until we face a threat that requires energy weapons.
>>
>Does /k/ abandon traditional guns and ammunition when energy weapons are invented?
There are plenty of people on /k/ who are into black powder, so doubtful.

Also, personal energy weapons are a long, long way off.
>>
>>31634744
>First ever energy weapon comes out
>In like, a thousand years
>Larger than a fridge
>Heavier than a small hatchback
>Have to load in 4 car batteries just to shoot it once
>Provides literally no advantages other than accuracy, and is probably severely underpowered so it doesn't even matter
>piece of shit needs to be maintained constantly or else it melts into nothing
Energy weapons are literally a meme created by Hollywood and nerds in lab coats.
>>
>>31634744
We still discuss BP and swords here.

It would definitely get swept up however I also believe that until say, gen six or seven normal firearms would be much more practical.
>>
>>31637098
this, unlike how it works in videogames there's no real reason to think that energy weapons will be inherently better than conventional weaponry. and even if they will be itll be a while till it gets to that point
>>
>>31634744
I already will never switch from ice
so why would I switch from modern cartridge based firearms
>>
>>31634744
Bullets are better in space. Long distance sniper shots on an asteroid belt without any variables aside from drifting rocks? Fucking Isaac Newton becomes the deadliest mother fucker this side of the Citadel
>>
>energy weapons
>feasible

to: /k/
>>
>>31634744
Energy weapons already exist dumbass, they're just far too large for people to carry around. The weapons themselves are too large, their power supplies are too large, and they have to be focused on a target for a period of time. This isn't vidyagames, an energy weapon like your pic may never exist.
>>
>energy weapons
>typically seen as only requiring batteries
>a gun that shoots electrons
>electrons

Maybe if it was an element that got excited by energy, but even then, you wouldn't be able to just use a battery
>>
File: DIY-Railgun.jpg (102KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
DIY-Railgun.jpg
102KB, 700x500px
>>31634744
Mass altering rail guns with no smart gun shit in them would be the best weapon humanity could devise for small arms. E=MC2 is the reason Pure energy weapons will have no use other then being GUARDIAN Point laser defense against Missiles,asteroids and other space debris in the way of humanity's crusader dreadnaughts. Becuase space is a big ocean and we don't want to go all USS enterprise without the tools needed to destroy hostiles that mean our race harm. So they rail guns may look like its firing a laser but really they are just so fast they ignite the atmosphere. Not sure if we can crunch and overlap hyper light/dense boron carbide to stop mach 8 projectiles OP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhCt6bTSSo&t=0s
>>
>>31634906
>I assume it will be similar to how /o/ sees electric cars.
so only far left filthy hippie dbags will want them?
>>
>>31634744
I won't, I still love bayonets and antique rifles.
>>
>>31634744

For personal energy weapons you need mini reactors. We don't have them. And won't for a long time. Just look at electric cars going nowhere.

We will get lasers and railguns for ships pretty soon. Then probably for tanks in maybe half a century.

But energy weapons for infantry? That's still 100% sci-fi.
>>
>>31634786
>>laser gun created
>>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.

>assault rifles created
>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.
>>
>>31639345
>>>laser gun created
>>>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.
>>assault rifles created
>>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.

>machine guns created
>>
No.
>>
>>31639357
>>>>laser gun created
>>>>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.
>>>assault rifles created
>>>Like we mentioned before, it's unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it.
>>machine guns created

>sharp rock created
>>
File: download (45).png (77KB, 867x357px) Image search: [Google]
download (45).png
77KB, 867x357px
I love making futuristic guns on pmg.
>>
>>31634744
Interesting. If infantry have laser guns, they could cut the barrel of a tank off and make the tank useless. Lasers being instantaneous, they could literally point and shoot down billion dollar B2 bombers and stealth fighters because there is no need to lead the shot. They could go SCUBA and cut open a hole beneath an aircraft carrier. Having man portable powerful energy weapons, even one shot weapons will totally change how warfare will be fought.
>>
File: Eyasluna.jpg (419KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Eyasluna.jpg
419KB, 1920x1080px
>>31634744
/k/ still buys and shoots milsurp from 60-70 years ago. Despite the fact AR's are on the market there's still tons of folk who use bolt guns, lever guns, even black powder.

So no, /k/ and the rest of the world will never truly abandon firearms, hell, some companies would probably be making both brand new laser gats right next to new production revolvers.
>>
>>31634744
going to be perfectly honest, there'll always be a place for kinetic arms.
>>
>>31641599
>MAGIC powered lasers
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.