[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I thought about buying these "electronic hearing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 865456.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
865456.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
Hey /k/, I thought about buying these "electronic hearing protections" I see a lot on hunters and such.
Do they work in high noise environment?
My brother goes to mills, foundries and such all the time.
Would this headset block the permanent noise from heavy tools while making it easier to hear other people talking at the same time?

Or just a soundproof headset thats amplifies sound when it's quiet and stops trasmitting for loud sounds?
>>
The more expensive ones tend to reproduce sound a lot better.
>>
>>31634449
I mean, wearing some of these, would I be able to better hear what a guy tells me while he's sawing metal?
Would the headset system reproduce the voice but not the very loud sound of circular hacksaw?
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these cut off sound when a gunshot etc is detected.
>>
>>31634498
depends
the cheaper ones tend to just shut off the mics when the sound is too loud
better ones will compress the noise so you can still hear reasonably well
>>
>>31634390
I know for a fact that the cheaper models like the Howard Leights cutoff all sound when anything goes above the decibel limit, the more high end models like Peltors though I'm not entirely sure but I think they might only cutoff certain sounds while still transmitting anything below the decibel limit.
>>
>>31634498
They reproduce all sounds.

I can have a conversation no problem next to a running diesel motor. You still hear the motor but you can clearly hear voice also.

I generally use MSA Supreme Pro X over some plugs. Had em since 2011 or 12. Howard Leight cheapos work ok too and I always carry them as a spare or to lend.
>>
>>31634498
You will be able to hear better than regular ones.
>>
I'd like a pair myself, but I don't like that I can't find any with an NRR rating above 27.

32 or bust. I like my hearing.
>>
Anyone use those plastic, molded style ear plugs that transmit regular sounds but block out any sound above a certain decibel level? Do these work worth a shit? ... because they seem like they would be the perfect choice for habbening purposes. Ear muffs fall off, make your ears and neck sweat, are another thing that requires batteries, and often prevent a good cheek weld with your rifle.
>>
>>31634552
Thats why I said I wear plugs under my Sordins.

Just earmuffs is bad since it's impossible to keep a seal at all times anyway.
>>
>>31634552
pro ears
they have shitty headbands that break though. don't know why they don't change the design but i guess they're fine with just sending out replacement headbands

the 30NRR ones are huge as fuck. I got them on sale for $200 so meh. i haven't seen the 28NRR ones in person.
>>
>>31634552
Pair of disposable earplugs under the muffs, crank up the noise on the muffs so you can clearly hear normal sounds even through the plugs
>>
>>31634567
I wouldn't trust those for shit in inclement weather.
>>
>>31634592
Why? They are literally just a piece of plastic plugging your ear.
>>
>>31634390
>Do they work in high noise environment?
My cheapo Howard Leights seem like they shut off everything in high noise environments. Not much use at indoor ranges since the circulation systems tend to be loud enough for them to shut off sound. I'm betting ones that cost more than $50 work better though.
>>
nonscientific pro ears demo
towards the end is where more expensive sets are most appealing as it would let you carry on talking while shooting fairly well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgtsbejhAA
>>
>>31634594
Are you talking about the hearing aid things or just plastic? Because just plastic isn't going to filter sounds...
>>
>>31634606
Just plastic, no batteries required. Can't remember the brand or what they are called, but they somehow block out sounds above a certain decibel level while allowing some amount of normal hearing, so you aren't totally deaf with them in. Seems like having a few pairs of these would be your best bet for shtf. There is no way I am wearing fucking ear muffs in an apocalypse scenario.
>>
>>31634619
Have you never been hunting with a quality pair of earmuffs? If anything they're a positive.
>>
>>31634631
I am not talking about hunting. I am talking about shtf scenarios. Muffs are fine in limited amounts in generally cold weather. But in a shtf scenario, not hearing certain sounds could get you killed, and who wants to wear them for hours per day in potentially hot ass weather?
>>
>>31634638
Or so you think shtf is going to be some video game shit.
>>
>>31634651
No, faggot. I think it won't, which is why I don't want to wear some faggot gear all day long. But I also value my hearing, seeing as I have serious tinnitus and don't want it to get worse.
>>
File: ep4-clr.png (65KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
ep4-clr.png
65KB, 350x250px
This is what I am talking about. Something like this.

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html
>>
>>31634672
>earmuffs
>faggot gear
>>
>>31634692
Talking about the fags who think in a shtf scenario they are going to be running around in camo, $500 worth of body armor and chest rigs, helmet, ear muffs, night vision, etc.

You know exactly what the fuck I am talking about. Stop being so dense.
>>
>>31634708
All I'm saying is it's no problem for me to bring my ear pro along for hunting, range day, etc.
>>
>>31634725
Cool. All I'm saying is I am not talking about hunting or range day.
>>
>>31634685
oh man you have to be really careful with the little plugs
you will lose that shit, trust me, from experience, when opening them up. when they're closed they act like earplugs.

i imagine when you're actually taking fire you're probably not going to want to take the time to put the little plugs in
>>
>>31634742
Well if your fantasy ear protection in your fantasy scenario becomes reality let me know.
>>
>>31634685
Those are excellent, i always take a pair of surefire ep3's and my howard leight impact sports out with me when i'm shooting, the earmuffs are great for slapping on and taking a few shots, but they still interfere with your cheekweld a bit. The ep3's are better for longer durations for that reason, but you cant hear as well as you can with the howard leights

Its interesting the different effects they both have on the gunshot, the earmuffs reproduce the same sound, so firing a shotgun still sounds the same only like its coming from a video rather than real life, and the surefire's totally cut out the loud crack, but leave the rest of the sound which is interesting. My .22 sounded like a paintball gun.
>>
>>31634390
I'm not sure about ones meant for shooting, but there's absolutely similar electronic earpro made for use in industrial environments.

Many have radio integration, too.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.