[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to get into reloading but don't know if i should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: RL_550_cat_shot_b.jpg (105KB, 429x650px) Image search: [Google]
RL_550_cat_shot_b.jpg
105KB, 429x650px
>want to get into reloading but don't know if i should get a single stage, turret or progressive press.

>i know the progressive is more expensive because of how much faster and convieniant the process will be but i guess i dont know if i can justify getting one over a single stage.

>also dont know if one were considering the turret press if you might as well just go with the progressive.

Feedback would be much appreciated as im a newb to reloading.
>>
How many rounds a weekend you want to pump out? What caliber?
>>
File: 650614.jpg (129KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
650614.jpg
129KB, 880x660px
>>31631714

Start small, my friend.
>>
>>31631751
My three main calibers i want alot of is .40, 9mm and 223/556
>>
>>31631751
Also probably around 250-500 rounds
>>
>>31631805
Single stage is the best. You honestly don't need a progressive unless you shoot a lot of one caliber. And by a lot I mean 1k rounds a month. You can accomplish your goal on a single stage in a few hours at a leisurely pace once you figure out what you're doing.
>>
i just recently started reloading and was in a similar predicament as you OP. i wanted to reload some pistol cals, 5.56, and 308.
ultimately i decided on a single stage. it helps me learn the basics and focus on each step. in the future, ill upgrade to a progressive and a lot of the stuff i have now can be reused. also i can still use my single stage for match ammo or one particular job or whatever.
>>31631782
too small IMO.
>>
File: bench.jpg (3MB, 3733x2813px) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
3MB, 3733x2813px
I'd say start on a single too. that way if you start shooting a lot more pistol or .223 you can get a progressive and keep your single stage for high precision rifle ammo if you want. that's what I ended up doing this last year now that I shoot pistol competitions multiple times a month and started shooting 1000 yards regularly
>>
>>31631714
Get a single stage .

Why?
Much easier to learn on.

You will still need one even after you get a progressive.

A single stage is always useful. From case prep/deprime to makeing match grade ammo.

My recommendations. If you can swing it get a Forrester CoAX.

Else get the RCBS kit.

As far as progressive presses go. Th3 dillion 550B is about the best way to go. Much easier to set up than the 650. And cheaper.

I have a hornady lnl ap. I hate it. Yes it works but it is a finicky bitch to run. If i could do it over. I would get a dillion 550 and be done.
>>
>>31632090
Love your set up. Wish i had the. room

You should check out inline manufacturing. They make some nice mountings plates .
>>
In a similar situation than you op.
Currently learning on a borrowed >>31631782
but the thing is too uncomfortable and unstable for my purposes. It might work fine with really small quantities of pistol ammo, but for precision .308 it's just unpleasant to work with. My Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock is on its way to me now.
>>
>>31631714
Always start on a single stage. Once you master that, you may move to progressive. Your single stage will still be useful.

However, if you don't mind paying a little more, get a turret press. You can run it like a single, without losing your settings. I spent most of my reloading career on a single, I would crank out 300 rounds at a time of almost exclusively .45. It's nice to have lots of reloading trays, the fitted ones not the universal. Also don't store your rounds loose, use the MTM 100-round cases. It gives you an extra chance to spot any abberations.
>>
Get a single stage. I use a press with QD bushings to make changing dies super easy. To me this makes a turret unnecessary as I can pop my dies in and out quickly with no issues. I use hornady but several companies make their own version.
>>
>>31634062
seconded for this suggestion. if you get a single stage, do yourself a favor and get some hornady lock and load bushings and set your dies and forget them. for pistol, I usually measure the first round if I'm loading on my single stage to make sure nothing has changed since the last time and then I just go. for rifle, I set the dies in the QD bushings every time since I'm trying to achieve precision to within a thousandth or so on the shoulder and the seating depth of the bullet.
>>
>>31631714
New to reloading, single stage without a doubt. You need to learn the basics before you start worrying about efficient mass production.
>>
^ my post
Wanted to add my suggestion of the rcbs rockchucker supreme kit add a good starting place. Much higher quality than the cheaper lee kits.

Add a digital powder scale and you're good to go. The beam scales are ok, just slow.
>>
>>31631714
Lee turret press, OP. It will become one of your most treasured friends.
>>
>inb4 all this use of the word "progressive" triggers someone
Phil's already here so I guess it won't be him though.
>>
>>31634175
This. Get the lee single stage kit off amazon for $130. Super good deal. You'll only need to buy the dies and something else to trim the brass.
>>
>>31634173
>>31634175
RCBS kit is good, but don't discount Lee's classic cast line of presses. Also I'd suggest shopping around instead of buying a kit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.