[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would the modern loadout for American/Western troops look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: TOTS_MISC.jpg (325KB, 1280x528px) Image search: [Google]
TOTS_MISC.jpg
325KB, 1280x528px
What would the modern loadout for American/Western troops look like in an extended campaign in a jungle environment? Something similar to a long lasting counter insurgency where securing villages and fighting regular and irregular combat meant that airborne drones couldn't just handle it all.

What kinds of armor or personal equipment would be added or removed from current kits? What kind of optics would be most useful? What sorts of troop dispersions and formations would come into use more?
>>
>>31623244
With the US Army, they would probably add an additional 10 lbs of equipment, change uniforms to unbreathable material, and then revert back to shined boots if they had their way.
>>
>>31623244
Ideally?

Probably a push back to lighter body armor or no body armor at all. The color green will see a resurgence once more. Use of ACH might abound but units might abandon it for soft caps and boonies.

Optics? On one hand I want to say close quarter optics. But the drawback being batteries and humidity fucking it up. The other choice would be ACOGs but the zoom would be counterproductive in thick undergrowth.

Added kit might include machetes at the very least and more survival oriented equipment. Units would need to be more self sustained so changes in training would invariably arise as well. Lifestraws and iodine tablets, plus bugnets, repellent, and high calorie rations.

Troop formations would try to be wedges whenever possible, but realistically files or staggered columns. At best getting on line on actions upon contact.
>>
Flame-resistant MultiScam uniforms with mag pouches on top of mag pouches on top of mag pouches dude.
>>
>>31623306
>no body armor at all
>no body armor at all
Fucking. Retarded.
>>
>>31623432
Not him, and not to take sides, but just to put my two cents in- I lived at Ft. Polk for quite some time and helped out on the training lanes there.

Ft. Polk was home to the Vietnam era Tigerland that simulated that warzone closely due to the shitty humidity, temperature, and woodland and swamps everywhere.

Units would often come to train, and when faced with the environment conditions would decide to drop body armor and have troops fight in just loadbearing gear. Even with that, troops being medivaced out of the training area as heat casualties was still very common.

Be aware that units rarely trained for longer than a month, had fairly regular resupplies, and were often dropping armor.

I could see even plate carriers really fucking up infantry operations, especially extended ones and becoming more of a liability than a blessing.
>>
>>31623432
Im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have worn body armor for 36 hrs straight before.

If you havent, shit sucks man. Especially with the current issue shit that makes you feel like a retard and, if you wear all the components, makes it so mobility is severely hindered.

Im a firm believer in body armor being good for urban operations, but seeing as many engagements in non urban environments call for going prone and engaging, I could see it as a moot point cause that kit wont cover whats being exposed anyways. Plus that shit will chafe and a bunch of medical issues that you dont want to deal with are gonna come up like fungus and shit from the kit making the nastiest environment for shit to fester in.

But hey man what do I know, its not like many jungle engagements the US has had in the past had most dudes want to wear body armor instead of light ALICE gear.
>>
>>31623432
I see you have never worn any kind of think clothing in 70%+ humidity.

Heat stroke is a HUGE danger when you are wearing even just a uniform with some weight from a pack, let a lone a plate carrier.
>>
>>31623432
Nigger I live in Florida. I'll be fucked if I had to wear body armor in some jungle setting similar to the heat/humidity down here. Fuck that.
>>
>>31623476
>If you havent, shit sucks man.
Being killed by a local with a pistol because you have absolutely zero protection and are facing an insurgency in dense foliage sucks more.

>>31623476
>its not like many jungle engagements the US has had in the past had most dudes want to wear body armor instead of light ALICE gear.
Yes, because flak jackets had the excellent protective quality of modern armor that makes it such a consistently good tradeoff.
>>
File: photo_2016-09-23_23-03-10.jpg (41KB, 331x427px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-09-23_23-03-10.jpg
41KB, 331x427px
Body armor will disappear

Heavy R&D into insect resistant/repellent clothing

The short barrel AR fad will continued unfettered to the point of possibly 10 inchers becoming mainstream. At the same time you'll see a resurgence of quick acquisition iron sights.

Shotguns
>>
>>31623534
Hey man all Im saying is if you want to operate in the jungle with an extra 40 lbs of PPE be my guest. I wouldnt do it just cause Im a firm believer in security in speed. OP was talking about an insurgency in bumfuck nowhere so Id assume stealth and speed would be better so as to make it so you wont get ambushed by some jackass with a filipino ghost gun.

Ill let you have the flak jacket argument cause youre definitely right, that shit blew compared to what we have now. But hey man to each his own.
>>
>>31623581
>40lb
There's a massive difference between reducing armor weight, and removing it entirely along with helmets.

Don't be that guy.
>>
>>31623552
Insect repellent clothing is already used with the permethrin in uniforms. Granted, it stops working within a few washed but the tags on ACUs are adamant about 20 washes and still has repellent.

I dont believe it works though and whenever its skeeter season I bundle up more to keep the exposed skin to a minimum. Which sucks cause its usually the hot part of the year.
>>
File: recon.jpg (205KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
recon.jpg
205KB, 1024x805px
>>31623602
only dudes wearing helmets in the jungle are regular bullet sponge grunts
>>
>>31623534
Exhaustion and heat stroke is an infinitely more immediate threat.
>>
>>31623244
Revisit the equipment and tactics we used in Vietnam, then update in accordance with advances in both areas.

You'd probably see a return to iron sights, with optics being reserved for designated marksmen.

I could see development of supply drones to resupply units in the field. Unit radios in what they need, supply guys load it into one or more drones and stage the drones in the queue on the runway. Then they radio the homing code of the drone to the field unit. Drone launches, picks up signal and flies to unit. Drone won't drop or land until the unit sends an authenticator.

Needs work, but it takes some of the routine logistics workload off of manned aircraft.
>>
>>31623602
Im not trying to be that guy. I see the advantages in body armor. We had an ND land in a dudes plate and it saved his life.

What Im trying to convey is that alot of unit leaders will weigh the advantages of using current issue gear (suited for city or mountain operations) to protect soldiers versus the drawbacks of using all that in 90 percent humidity and lacking medical facilities to treat things like yeast infections and losing combat effectiveness to that.

Theres a million arguments to either side. In a perfect world armor wouldnt weigh a thing and would be this as hell and unobtrusive. But for now its not, so the debate persists.

Totally unrelated, but NODs will have to see some serious durability improvements, cause the humidity and heat will fuck them up.
>>
File: PVXxY6p.jpg (537KB, 1421x2048px) Image search: [Google]
PVXxY6p.jpg
537KB, 1421x2048px
>>31623244
>>
>>31623679

jungle school or talisman saber?
>>
>>31623459
Were you OPFOR at Polk? A fellow hero from the same world as the Kingdom of Ariana and Atropia?
>>
>>31623720
No. I just helped supply some of the IED training (and deal with the local retard cops when they found some of your OPFOR IEDs and thought they were real).

I didn't like Polk much, but seeing Atropian troops rolling around in OD uniforms, BMPs, and Hueys flying overhead was pretty neato.
>>
>>31623730
Far out. I never was at Polk. But I wore black uniforms over in Krautistan and drove m113s against Pandur IIs and Bradleys.

The Polk OPFOR had the best aesthetic out of all the OPFOR units though.
>>
>>31623704
I'm not 100%, but I think its Exercise Hamel.
>>
>>31623432
Nigga have you read any excerpts from 'Nam, or hell any modern conflict involving body armor and hot/humid temperatures? The two do not mix well. You're ability to absorb a couple hits will be rather mitigated when you're bone-fucking tired and miserable because you've spent the whole day sweating your ass off in your body armor. So now you're tired, more than likely disoriented/dehydrated, and hobbled by the weight you're carrying. If it comes to that, I wouldn't mind running without armor for certain environments.
>>
US SOCOM has been running amok in jungles across Africa and parts of South Asia since like 2005, so wait 20 years for those little wars to get declassified and read what they used.
>>
>>31623244
>>
>>31623679
>Airshit
>>
>>31624554
BFBTA. Blank Firing Bullet Trap Attachment. Stops 5-odd live rounds if you're a Muppet and fuck up your ammo natures.

>>31623704
>>31624032
Could be any of the joint ex's we run with the Seppos. The speargrass looks like Shoalwater. Which is why, coupled with the humidity, those lads look like they want to invert their rifles. If this was Australian jungle, you wouldn't be able to see the lads through the vegetation.
>>
>>31624554
Nigger, are you stupid? They clearly aren't fat, too young to join, or don't have autism.

Those are clearly training weapons used by the Austrian military. Go fuck yourself, my dude.
>>
>>31623432
>>31624581
Also, I participated in a trial with full plate and soft armour in the jungle. Lasted several weeks. It isn't viable. Everything that makes the jungle shit is exacerbated 100-fold. Heat cas, prickly-heat, blistering/abrasions/chaffing. Slower drill and reaction times, to the point lads are would be dead well before conducting any kind of fight through. Body armour doesn't work in the jungle.
>>
>>31624598
Royal New South Wales Regiment. Australian Army, reservists. Take their weekend job very seriously.
>>
Body armor will be worn depending what you are doing.

Mechanised and static troops will most likely wear body armor most of the time.

Infantry patrols will not wear body armor most of the time unless serious redesign to suit their needs is done.
>>
>>31623244
Literally identical to that pic, but with PCs instead of body armor and drop legs. Probably even using the same woodland camo unless its marines.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.