[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the US military has 1,281,900 active personnel, how many people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: military.jpg (300KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
military.jpg
300KB, 1200x780px
If the US military has 1,281,900 active personnel, how many people are serving in infantry related positions?
>>
>>31622125
at least 4
>>
lovin the sand pebble hat and old school uni's on the sailors. The rest look so bland.
>>
>>31622131
nah man, at least 100....maybe 150 MAX
>>
>>31622125
Every marine is a rifleman. Freedom isn't free. Semper Fi.
>>
>>31622125

less than 10 percent for sure if we are talking purely infantry and not combat arms in general.
>>
>>31622163
That's the way it used to be. Not anymore.
>>
It is about 1 infantry man for every 7 POGs.
>>
>>31622156
Don't over exaggerate its like 12 at most
>>
>>31622221
It was never like that you fuck.
>>
>>31622191
>>31622249
thanks for the responses

supposedly the ratio of support to combat troops was 4-1 during WW2 and during the Iraq invasion, it was 7-1. however, I think that entails all combat arms?

of those that are combat arms, how many would be pure infantry related?
>>
No one givens you a serious reply yet.

When I was in the USMC Infantry about 180,000 Marines total. 30,000~ were infantry. That means 1 in 6 of us. But USMC is infantry specific.

The Army for example is larger. I think I estimated 150,000 - 180,000 Infantry. Add all the special forces from marines, army rangers, navy seals, whatever you kids are into, I estimate 250,000 hard hitters, of all varieties.
>>
>>31622983
hey, thanks for the answer! I think your army estimate might be a bit too high? The US army only has 460k active personnel.

Of that amount, how many do you think would be infantry related?
>>
>>31622908
Stop screwing with OP, they deserve better. I am the infantry related positions. All of them.

If you have any questions, ask away, I'll gladly answer them if I have the time.
>>
>>31623151
Not so fast.
>>
>>31623098
My Army estimates may be off. Truth is as a Marine you pay little attention to what they do.

I gather they have a lot of good units. The trick is getting into them. There is a reason they call big army BIG army.
>>
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/12/03/pentagon_women_can_serve_in_all_military_combat_roles.html
> Until now, though, nearly 220,000 jobs—including infantry, armor, reconnaissance, and special operations units—were only open to men.

So less than 220,000.
>>
>>31623208
Yes so fast. As the whole of the US infantry I don't have piles of time on my hand.
>>
>>31622125
>>31622191

And 1-2% of them have experienced combat yet there is something outrageous as 25% of veterans claiming PTSD from combat.
>>
>>31623583
*Citation needed
>>
>>31623596
are you 12 years old? Its common sense.
>>
>>31623641
Fuck this bullshit attitude pup.
>>
>>31623583
Cos, you know, only infantry get shot at, mortared and IED'ed. My mates who were in Iraq talk about getting mortared monthly, another who was Motor T is missing a leg, and I heard of more than a few convoys getting ambushed/IED'ed when I was in Afghanistan.

Everyone's getting shit thrown at them in country, the difference is that the guys who signed up to fight (like myself) were expecting that shit. A guy at my FOB whose entire job was watching a computer screen tracking convoys was constantly bitching about how his recruiter told him he'd never leave Pendleton.
>>
>>31623298
interesting link but I think that also includes armored personnel. this makes me even more interested in how many infantry related individuals there are.
>>
>>31624133
A quick perspective. I was a pog, and an even bigger pog for not deploying. 88H, cargo handler MOS. That being said, a lot of my buddies in unit deployed. They got mortared almost daily. They never, ever, ever got the opportunity to return fire.

Other friends (88M) told stories of running over babies and children thrown in front of their convoy. The hadji hope was that the Americans would stop for their ambush.

A buddy on guard duty saw a mess of kids killed by a suicide bomber.

Fuck everyone who doesn't believe ptsd doesn't affect non combat MOS's. Fuck you to hell and gone you miserable Santorum sucking niggers.
>>
File: 42aaAYh.png (225KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
42aaAYh.png
225KB, 512x384px
>>31622125
Two
>>
>>31622131
>>31622156
>>31622908
>>31624242
what's with all the troll responses?
>>
>>31622163
My ssgt has unq'd the past two years, and she still got promoted from sgt. Not every marine is a rifleman.
>>
>population of 300 million
>only 1 million in the military

what the fuck?
>>
>>31624826
It's not 1941 anymore you know.
>>
>>31624826
>1 million standing armed forces in peace time
It's totally not for suppressing civilian dissent, goym.
>>
File: 1465017972421.jpg (235KB, 904x1045px) Image search: [Google]
1465017972421.jpg
235KB, 904x1045px
There are approximately 7,000 deployable troops in a given division (+/-2k).

How many INFANTRY divisions are there in the United States Army & Marine Corps?

>how did this poster arrive at this figure?

To put things into perspective, OP, I was charged with personally distributing & recovering *every* parachute utilized on a "Division Jump".

Yes, it's what it sounds like: pretty much the *entire* division (everyone with jump wings who's not on a no-jump medical profile), each and every paratrooper strapping on a parachute and getting packed into planes.

I handed out over seven thousand parachutes that day. I recovered approximately seven thousand parachutes that night.

>Of course, there are plenty of soldiers in the 82D who have jump wings but are not 11B.

However, it can be argued that everyone who jumps on division day should be moderately capable of serving as ad-hoc or ersatz infantry, as each is qualified with a rifle, trained up the 82nd standard, capable of being able to strap on a bunch of gear, successfully make yourself exit a flying plane, make it to the ground, land, get your shit all together (yes, loosely bundle your parachute back up and carry it like a loose sleeping bag) and carry it to the nearest recovery truck.

>mfw the british para guys here on exchange program just drop their chutes where they land and leave them there

Thanks for reading my blog!
>>
>>31622125

"Dammit Bill! Get your fucking flag off of my head!"

"Eat shit, Steve!"
>>
>>31622125
Of which 70 percent of them are what you people call as pogs
>>
>>31622971
The way we fight war and the technology we use have become extremely complicated and technically demanding since ww2 it takes a lot of specialized jobs to keep all of the sci-fi shit running
>>
>>31624826
The sleeping dragon. It would cost too much to maintain a war time army. so we wait until someone attacks us and all the real fighters in our society volunteer to remove some foreigners
>>
>>31624103
>>31624133
>>31624219
You idiot do not know how to read do you?

What the fuck is the definition of combat? IF you have mutually exchanged gunfire that is combat. If you did not return fire or were attacked on base while walking around. That is not combat. You were attacked. You have PTSD under other extremes, not PTSD from combat. Next time actually read what the guy posted.
>>
>>31624820
Don't be a fuck stick. Every marine is a rifle man. I've worked with plenty of marines male and female that agree.
>>
>>31626616
also we can't afford it. salary expenses are one of the greatest burdens to the military budget.
>>
>>31622131
He's not wrong
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.