[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, first time poster here. What are you views on the differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: jollygreengiants.jpg (70KB, 697x478px) Image search: [Google]
jollygreengiants.jpg
70KB, 697x478px
Hey /k/, first time poster here.

What are you views on the differences between the US Army squad layout which I believe consists of 1 SL + 2 Fireteams of 4 and the UK Army section which consists of just 2 fireteams of 4 which 1 fireteam leader doubling up as SL.

Personally I think the UK Section is more efficient. Sure it is one less man, but thats surely a good thing logistically is it not? Not to mention shortening communication and having to relay less orders etc.
>>
>>31620633
According to US doctrine (as I was taught at least) it's worse because now your squad leader has to take care of both the squad as a whole and his own personal fire team.
>>
>>31620674

But surely his 2IC, Delta leader would be capable of looking after his own fireteam, he'd only have to relay orders to him and then lead the first fireteam?
>>
>>31620633

I just had this conversation on another thread. USMC Infantry with 3 fire teams. A total of 12 men plus SL and maybe docs rolling with, 13-14 men.

I've also done a low man squad of only 8, and teams of 5 in LPOP's. It all depends.

I was surprised to hear the Army only does 2 fire team 8 man squads. Do they have 4 squads per platoon?
>>
File: platoon.gif (5KB, 441x356px) Image search: [Google]
platoon.gif
5KB, 441x356px
>>31620735

Nah. British Army has 3 sections, then a platoon CO, Platoon Sergeant and Radio Op. Sometimes there will be a medic and a mortar team assigned, but it depends.
>>
>>31620711
Yeah but now you have a FT that is down a man making it less effective. Besides, since a SL usually tags along with a FT that means he gets 4 guys to watch his back while he's giving orders to the other FTs.

>>31620735
USCM is SUPPOSED to have a doc and radio operator tag along, though that isn't how it always works out.
>>
>>31620788
>USCM is SUPPOSED to have a doc and radio operator tag along, though that isn't how it always works out.

The reality is there's usually 1 doc per platoon. Sometimes squads are going out 24/7 on patrols. You attach him when you can, but you can only tax his navy ass so much. He needs to rest too and can't always be there. We lost a guy on a patrol he wasn't on and he hated himself for not being there to patch him up. Which is why when he taught CLS I actually listened to him. Cool guy.

As for the radio we never had a radio guy, we carried that shit in our packs. It's like some civilian meme you get issued a radio guy.
>>
>>31620992
I know, that's why I said "SUPPOSED to". I was a radio guy in an infantry battalion. So I know what was "SUPPOSED TO" happen and what did happen, which is pretty much as you described. Doc couldn't always be there and the RO's usually chilled at camp if it was just a squad going out. Exception for weapons company, but they kinda needed the extra RO's the way they were set up.
>>
>>31620633
I just realized

Is that a fucking five cell Chicom rig for AK's?
>>
>>31620633
US squads are as large as twelve or thirteen and as small as three.... Really depends on available manpower.
>>
>>31620735
OH FUCK BOBBY IS HIT! QUICK TOURNIQUET HIM! You're now down a whole fucking fire team.
>>
>>31621591
No.
>>
>>31620633
US army system is better, but both are better than US marines, at least for modern combat.
>>
>>31621591
An army rifle squad (at least for light and mechanized infantry) is always 9 ( unless you're down a man). Marines have 13 man squads. Non rifle squads have various amounts.
>>
>>31620735
No army still has three squads of 9 per platoon.
>>
>>31622541
Virtually anything is better than marines, thanks to the
>WE DON'T NEED SAWS LOOK NEW RIFLES
Logic they're using.
>>
>>31622601
I feel sorry for them. They also get fucked with equipment, but that was taking it too far.
>>
>>31622672
They did that shit to themselves.
>>
>>31622541
>>31622601

Police call your idiots Army. That was cringy.
>>
>>31622765
Please, defend the adoption of the IAR then.
>>
>>31622765
Found the boot.
>>
>>31622586
The units Ive been in have had four squads. Three regular 9 man squads and one weapons squad of nine men plus the RTO, PSG, PL, and sometimes medic.

Then again those were under ideal conditions.
>>
>>31623059
I was just talking about rifle squads. Obviously a rifle platoon is going to have things like weapon squads and stuff.
>>
>>31622877
>>31622964
Calling boot is like he who smelt it delt it. Indeed found the boots.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 444x446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 444x446px
>>31623115
>no u

Excellent retort, although you still didn't answer the question about the M27.
>>
>>31623115
You were called a boot for "defending" the corps against something that you shouldn't have. That is the kind of thing a boot does. Saying the corps has less than ideal tactical structure and is adopting a terrible SAW replacement is not something a gullible, gung ho boot does.

So your "I'm rubber and you are glue!" shit doesn't really work here.
>>
>>31623248
I wouldn't know. I fired an m16 and m249. As well as others.

>>31623271
You're putting words in my mouth. Reread, never said that.
>>
>>31623115
>boot
No, i'm a civilian who knows that the IAR is using the EXACT same logic that the army did with the BAR, and knows that the BAR was objectively terrible as a light machine gun and failed entirely to fill the niche of one.

You dumb faggots are going back to fucking 1920s infantry tactics.
>>
>>31623408
>Implying a third the infantry units in the military perform any better than 1920s tactics.

Onna serious note, I would rather have a SAW for all but MOUT. The IAR seems like an easy way to have another dude to gainfully put in the stack for room clearing instead of just leaving the auto rifleman guarding the rear like usually happens.
>>
>>31623408
Do you just try to talk to me about the BAR?

Lmao you autistic nigger. Don't apply what I and others did to WW2. DROPPED.
>>
>>31623440
>marines
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.