[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a material I could put on the end of an AR barrel to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: 300blkcrown[1].jpg (118KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
300blkcrown[1].jpg
118KB, 800x800px
Is there a material I could put on the end of an AR barrel to render the threads inoperable that would hold up ? I don't have the access or money to a welder to cap it off the the normal expensive way. Seems like my options are take a file to the threads and destroy them or put some material over them.
>>
Bubba in a commie state?
>>
>>31616560
Why would you do this?
>>
>>31616577
yes

>>31616587
cause threads make it an assault weapon.
>>
Find a thread cover or muzzle device that fits and epoxy it on if you must.
>>
>>31616597
Just get a threaded cap and some solder.
>>
Car battery, jumper cables and a section of metal coat hangar. Boom, impromptu welder. Search Youtube for more details.
>>
JB weld it... it's going to be hideous though.
>>
>>31616560
Silver-solder and a thread protector. You can get it from Midway or Brownell's. It can be applied with a BernzOmatic torch you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot.
>>
>>31616560
just grind them off. or be a man and dont do anything to them at all
>>
>>31616560
Move from the shitty state you live in.
>>
>>31616684
Or this.
>>
>>31616618
>SMAW without proper electrodes
>having an amateur attempt SMAW
You like porosity don't you?
>>
>>31616666
checked.
>>
>>31616560
Just put a muzzle device over your assault threads nobody is going to notice
>>
>>31616598
isn't epoxy just normal glue ? While the firearm wouldn't be breaking any federal regs and my state hasn't ruled what they deem permanent the atf has said this:

"Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over."

>>31616614
>>31616647
ok thanks. i never heard of this process until now. seems like something I could do. and considering I assembled the rest of the rifle myself should/could be fun.

>>31616618
>>31616634
thanks. will only do as a last resort.
>>
>>31616762
look anon. they don't even do compliance checks in commiefornia. if you don't brag and wave your assault threads around they wont know its only epoxied rather than soldered
>>
>>31616762
>>31616762
OP do no attempt anything suggested, you are asking to get fucked, either get someone to do a proper job for you, hide your shit until you can pay someone to do it. Epoxy is a bad idea because adhesives break down under heat, regular solder is perhaps the best option suggested but still shit since regular solder melts around 370degrees, welding is out of the question unless you have experience, a machine you can regulate amperage on, and proper electrodes.
>>
Can you put a muzzle brake on it instead of a flash hider?

Or just don't comply
>>
>>31616560
don't comply, faggot
>>
>>31616666
Quads of truth
>>
>>31616855
silver soldering isn't a big deal. its atf approved. lots of gunsmiths use it for various jobs and you don't need any fancy or expensive equipment to do it.

>>31616872
yeah i can put on a brake if i want to. whats illegal is bare threads and/or a flash hider.
>>
>>31616955
You should just buy a brake then, imo
>>
File: IMG_6388.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6388.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>31616955
Then buy a brake, the fuck you trying to ruin a good barrel for?
>>
>>31616975
well I have to permanently attach the brake somehow. I might just use some red loctite. Like I said I am not breaking any federal laws so i dont have to worry about fighting the atf. from my understanding you have to heat it up with a torch to remove red loctite so it really wouldn't be that different from silver soldering, just lower heat threshold needed.
>>
>>31617091
Loctite is not permanent.
You can weld, blind pin, or high temp silver braze.
>>
>>31617091

What caliber / tpi? I have a 30 cal brake you can have for free... 5/8x24. I have some old a2 flashhiders but you said you can't use them...
>>
>>31617159
No one in my state has ever gone to court over it. No one has ever gone to court against the atf over the issue either. They have never exclusively defined what it means, they have provided some techniques that they currently deem acceptable.
>>
I sent my NY compliant HD AR to ADCO to blind pin the thread protector on and grind the bayo lug ears off. I wouldnt take legal chances with the gun you might kill an intruder with.

For everything else you might consider just screwing a cap on and saying fuck it. bayo lug still visible though. Im considering making a fixed mag lower so I can have all the evil features, and still convert it back in 5 minutes
>>
>>31616975
>cant fucking read a thread
drop your trip and kill yourself
>>
>>31617206
thanks anon but the OP picture was just something random from google. I haven't bought my upper yet, just doing the standard 5.56 build. I am trying to buy a cheap complete upper but I have to plan ahead to deal with the barrel threading and/or bayonet mount.
>>
>silver solder
>what is liquid metal embrittlement
>what intermetallic compounds are you forming during the reheating process

Just blind pin it.
>>
>>31617638
dude my barrel will probably cost like $80. I am not gonna spend the price of of an entire barrel just to attach some bullshit to comply with some ass law. Red loctite breaks down at 482°F so provided you don't rapid fire your gun it will serve its purpose. if you want something more heat resistant can use the silver solder.
>>
>>31617771
If your idea if permanent is loctite you might as well just crank a brake on with channel locks and say, "Well you can't get it off by hand so it's permanent law man." Why even bother wasting the $3 on red loctite?
>>
>>31617870
because I am doing my due diligence to try to comply with an ambiguous law. to remove red loctite you need to use a torch or other heat source just like if you used solder.
>>
>>31617091
just use red loctite, if anyone asks you used silver solder. If you have to use it in defense your commie state is gonna put it in a vice and use a monkey wrench with a 16' cheater bar to break it off. Hell, they would prolly snap the barrel in two then charge you with a unregistered nfa item.
>>
>>31617945
Yeah, no.
The heat "required" to loosen loctite is roughly 1/4 of what it would take to melt silver sodler. The ATF guideline is 1100°.
Even without heat red loctite is fairly easy to break with just a wrench.
>>
>>31616855
> Doesn't know what silver-solder means
>>
Any good $8 file and 30 mins will fux that thread issue for you
>>
>>31619138
This, they'll fuck anything less than 16 in a court case so they can add that charge. Justice just ain't what it used to be. Well, actually... it's always been that way.
>>
>>31619224
There is no ATF guideline for heat or torque requirements. They give some examples of what you can do in: https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download but its not legally binding in any way. And besides I don't have to deal with ATF it would be my state AG.

I really can't imagine getting an assault weapons charge because I can remove a component with a 500 F torch instead of a 1000 F one.
>>
>>31616666

I'm with this guy. I own tons of illegal firearms in CA. Tons of public land to go shooting on so you can stay away from ranges. Sure I can't walk around with them on my shoulder but I wouldn't be doing that in Texas or anywhere else. If the shit hits the fan and stuff gets bad enough you think the law is going to give a shit about your threaded barrel? Nope he's gonna say "Nice gun man okay gotta go the grocery store is getting looted again.". Or you and your buddies could just kill the cop if he gives you shit about it.
>>
>>31619466
and by the way I am not trying to cheese the laws. I really think it will be solid the way I am going to try, if I can still loosen it, I will secure it using a different method.
>>
>>31619466

In all seriousness, most anytime you see someone get brought up on a charge related to something like this, it's really just the icing on what is typically an extremely insane cake. And it gets dropped or pled down.
>>
>>31620064
the most common thing i see is guys who get accused of domestic abuse get their collections searched. usually the state is ok with them destroying or legally transferring the infringing weapon and ending it there.
>>
>>31620353

Yeah stay away from the psycho girls man and it's not an issue. I've lived in CA for decades and own several illegal firearms and regularly bring in more courtesy of friends and family out of state. I do my shooting on BLM land and have never once been stopped or bothered by anyone. Just keep quiet and don't talk about what you have and you'll be fine.
>>
>>31616762
If you already know the legally correct answer, why are you posting on /k?

If you're not going to follow the legally correct path, why post it on the internet?
>>
>>31619518
What kind of dog do you have?
Why do you hate him?
>>
>>31616855
Electrodes? Who the fuck would try to stick weld a thread protector?! Wire feed SMAW would be fucking ridiculous as well. You would want GTAW or Gas welding both of which use filler rod. I swear the lack of knowledge concerning fabrication on this board is tragic. This is like you fuckers constantly using the word tolerance when you mean fit. I hate you twats...
>>
>>31617091
Who in the fuck is going to test your brake to see if it's welded on or not?
>>
>>31622687
I the ranges I go to are public and I am registered gun owner with the state...I have seen law enforcement check magazine size at the range for example. So yeah not a good idea to be lazy and not even attempt to secure a muzzle device.
>>
>>31622538
>stick welding is for tractors and farm implements
>wire mig welding would be overkill for this application

found the keyboard cowboy who's never built anything in his garage before

a 3/32 6013 and cracker box will work fine and leave a decent bead, provided OP has ever welded before in his life (which he probably hasn't)

hell, any muffler shop with a mig welder could solve OP's problem
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.