[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the idea of laser weapons been completely dropped for rail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1472780885281.webm (3MB, 1280x530px) Image search: [Google]
1472780885281.webm
3MB, 1280x530px
Has the idea of laser weapons been completely dropped for rail guns and caseless ammo?
>>
No, but there are still major problems and lasers will never be used against anything but soft targets.
>>
>>31613906
lasers, rail guns, and caseless ammo are all memes

The problem with rail guns and lasers is that the batteries aren't there yet. They're too large and expensive.

Rail guns are going to be a thing, but they are going to basically need an entire ship built around them. Lasers won't be a thing for a very long time since you just need absurd shitloads of power to have any range on them, and caseless ammo currently has so many problems with it that I have no idea when it's going to be a thing, if ever.

Here's my retarded and uneducated complete guess at when these things will become viable military munitions:

Rail guns - 2020

Lasers - 2080

Caseless ammo - ???
>>
>>31613972
Haven't DEW been deployed already?
>>
File: cnas.png (143KB, 1020x698px) Image search: [Google]
cnas.png
143KB, 1020x698px
Still going.
>>
>>31613972
Lasers will be deployed in the 2020s as a CIWS. LaWS just needs to be upgraded.
>>
>>31615528
>Lasers will be deployed in the 2020
I really hope they wont.
>>
>>31613972
>The problem with rail guns and lasers is that the batteries aren't there yet.
The problem with lasers is that atmosphere, weather and physical effects of reflection and refraction are still there and most likely will remain there.
>>
>>31613906
>Has the idea of laser weapons been completely dropped for rail guns and caseless ammo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CaGiT54ks8
>>
>>31615557
What's wrong with deploying new tech? It works the bugs out faster.
>>
>>31616630
See >>31615576
This is not new tech, this is a dead end.
>>
>>31616644
You can overcome atmospheric effects with more power.
>>
>>31616831
There is such thing called energy conversion efficiency. Lasers are extreme shit in this department.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.