[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right board for this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 13

File: wing chun.png (124KB, 394x383px) Image search: [Google]
wing chun.png
124KB, 394x383px
I'm not entirely sure if this is the right board for this but whats the best martial art to learn? I'm leaning towards Wing Chun but idk for sure
>>
You should learn more than one.
>>
>>31604798

boxing
wrestling
muay thai
judo
BJJ
Savate or Sambo if you want to be a snowflake
>>
>>31604798
Hapkido + BJJ
>>
>>31604820
/thread
>>
>>31604820

other snowflake-tier but actually useful martial arts: Kyokushin or any of the other Mas Oyama-derived Karate styles where you punch each other hard regularly (no punches to the face)
Dutch kickboxing
Catch wrestling
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 395x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 395x306px
How come Jeet Kune Do is not a popular martial art?
Bruce Lee is pretty much the face of martial arts
How is his own style not as popular as he is?
>>
>>31604873

because it's called MMA now.
>>
>>31604798
The sad unfortunate truth is that it depends massively upon the quality of instructors available. I've known Ninjutsu guys who actually knew what they were doing and how it worked and I've known the stereotypical ninja master whose students fall over for them. I've known Krav Maga instructors who actually know how to fight and I've met Krav Maga instructors who are just mall ninjas beating up out of shape people.

You need to find a teacher who is both skilled at the art and skilled at teaching it. And they're unfortunately hard to find because teaching 60 eight-year-olds and a dozen soccer moms is easy and profitable.
>>
>>31604882
But that's wrong tho
>>
/asp/ is TECHNICALLY the board you need to post this at but they got invaded by WWE faggots when /mlp/ migrated. It's now one of the shittiest boards. I see MMA threads on /fit/ once in a while but I think it would be cool if /k/ integrated martial arts into the warfare part of the board, just to add some more diversity to the topics and give /asp/ies a place to escape their awful board.

That being said, you need at least one good grappling sport, one good striking sport, and one good clinching sport if you really wanna make things count.

Jiu jitsu is a must for grappling, wresting and Sambo make okay substituteso.

Kickboxing and muay Thai are your two best options for striking.

Judo ties in well with jiu jitsu for a clinch.

Aikido, hapkido, wing Chun, most karate, and anything with the word Kung fu in it is a meme. Tae Kwan do is half a meme.
>>
>>31604920
Hush now, anon, let him strip down to his boxers, surround himself with a steel cage he's not allowed to touch, and pretend he's discovered all there is to know about fighting.
>>
>>31604903

and that's one of the great things about >>31604820 and >>31604840

they all have vibrant competitive scenes with rules that allow you to go pretty much all-out (TKD foot tag or karate point sparring don't count) so it's hard to claim you got your judo black belt when you can't breakfall, you're a Golden Gloves but can't throw a straight to save your life, your muay thai roundhouse lands on the instep despite how you totally beasted Gunyo Fairtex that one time, all your blue belts get rekt at the local BJJ tourneys when they all try to bench press guys off of mount (not even Pan Ams or Worlds, just "hey it's summer, let's have a tourney at the local club"-tier competitions), your double leg doesn't have a level change, and i dunno what other basic-tier shit there is for Sambo, Kyokushin (punching a dude in the head), Savate, Dutch/other legit kickboxing, and catch.

>>31604953

you're not allowed to grab the cage, and that's a "catch me if you can" type deal.

if you can't beat a dude with a basic ruleset, if your claim to t3h d34dly is that you need to do dirty shit to win, then you're gonna get rekt when the guy with good fundamentals doing shit he's done daily in practice gets himself in a good position to knee you in the nuts and hit you with a rabbit punch.
>>
>>31604936
why is Wing Chun a meme? Is it not very good?
>>
>>31605000

no, it's not.

but the Ip Man movies and the legend of Bruce Lee make it seem much more impressive than it really is.

here's two wing chun grandmasters fighting each other. notice how it's basically a shitty playground fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdF1nIAfpk
>>
>>31605000
It's in theory good for close quarter combat but the form is shit, the training is usually very mediocre any school you'd find here, and the true test of a martial art is how much hard sparring goes on.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc0Gt_M16lM

Wing Chun will just get you fucked up by someone who knows how to fight
>>
>>31605084
14-0 is still pretty fucking good
So did he just fight chumps before that?
>>
>>31605161

... i mean have you seen early 90's MMA?
>>
>>31605171
no
>>
>>31605189

the real debate is whether clusterfuck or shitshow describes it better.
>>
>>31604820
>Sambo
>Snowflake
Go fuck yourself, Sambo is great.
>>
>>31605291

finding a good Sambo (CAMBO for you russaboos) teacher in the US requires so much effort that it's basically done either because you really hate legs and don't think anybody will ever choke you, live in Brighton Beach, or have a giant hammer and sickle tattooed on your chest.

it is a good style, as the Last Emperor showed... basically everybody. just that if you pass up on BJJ, Judo, and wrestling clubs/gyms to find the jacket and short-shorts wrestling of your choice, then you have ulterior motives.
>>
>>31605342
The ulterior motive is it combines very easily with Muy Thai, which I prefer for strikes because I like throwing knees and elbows instead of punches.
>>
>>31605342
Fedor wasn't the only person who showed Sambo was a good base for MMA. Khabib and Vitaly Minakov are both un-defeated fighters in modern MMA.
>>
>>31605408

and Judo/wrestling don't combine well with clinch fighting? i mean i'm just a pure BJJ stylist who knows enough MT to get myself into trouble because i don't like getting punched/leg locks, but even my terrible grip fighting has made me think "hey an elbow or a knee would be useful to open up this dude" on occasion.

>>31605418

yeah but Fedor's a legend. it's like talking BJJ without referencing a Gracie.
>>
>>31605449
Cant speak for Judo as I have limited exposure and experience with it, but wrestling...na, at least not for me. I did it through high school (with an actually competent coach) and it just didn't translate well beyond a few of the basics.
>>
>>31604798
I think boxing is good for the basics and weight manipulation and then on to another marial art
>>
>>31604798
Depending on where you learn, Wing chun is a great for close quarter barfight. That "bridging hand" thingy is bullshit (well not exactly but insert "aint nobody have time 4 dat"meme) and many kung fu instructors went away with it when teaching self defence classes

Boxing and judo is wherr you should put yo money at. I don't recommend kicking (even tho I did karate in college)but it's good to know a few basic ones like front snap kick and back kick
>>
"Best" is subjective.

Wanna learn how to throw a punch, take a hit, stuff that'll be useful immediately? Grab any MMA class that'll put you above 50% of most people after 6 months of training.

Wanna be able to relax, have a body that does oddly useful things and be better at fighting than 90% of the population after training for 5 years? Try any southern Kung Fu style that strikes some kind of balance between internal/external work.

It's about what you want.
>>
>>31605627

please show me one video of a real (non-staged) fight where some complex kung fu technique worked and the other guy didn't just stand there for a minute while one dude set up to throw the five point exploding heart palm technique.
>>
>>31605669
>This butt hurt.
I didn't even say anything about MMA etc being bad/ineffective.

And no. Find it yourself, faggot. Because I'm not about to ask you to find me a video where some MMA guy falls to the ground because they can't stand properly.
>>
>>31604798
I highly recommend wing chun
>>
>>31605762

i didn't say one word about MMA. i meant a street fight video. Worldstar or some shit.

burden of proof is on you to show me that Southern Praying Mantis Eagle Claw is effective when i can find video after video of kung fu getting rekt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQfVFPsVCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAN-ZKQlucg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdasNOFDNrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtl1myuoDH0

>>31605841

i highly recommend it too if you like pigeon-toed stances, patty cake, and arm punches with no power.
>>
>>31604798
>whats the best martial art to learn
HEMA. Focus on grappling and knife.
>>
My 16 year old wife's son wants to get into boxing. He wants to be able to defend himself (which is understandable), but he is convinced that it will help him get into the naval academy (which i doubt). Should i let him do it? Hes kinda scrawny so i hope it will make him tougher, and he is surprisingly calm so i doubt he will ever get in any fights. Ideas?
>>
>>31604798
Tae Bo.
>>
>>31604798
Krav maga
>>
>>31605960

it's kinda late to help him out much in terms of winning Golden Gloves or something, he's gonna get rekt by kids who've been boxing since they were 6.

he'll have to box at the academy though.
>>
>>31605960
Put him in and encourage him. He probably won't be great at it, but anything is possible with support of a parent figure and a good diet/workout regiment.

If nothing else it will be a good confidence booster and help him be more safe. I'd love to teach somebody.
>>
>>31604798
I think silat because it's a lot like muay thai but it emphasizes knife fighting. I don't know of anywhere in my time zone that teaches it though.

Start with boxing and then go BJJ, Judo and finally Muay Thai. Get a solid base in everything. You can work on your ground game but if you forget Judo you might get toppled on your face. Get good at boxing then take a few leg kicks from a Muay Thai guy and you might slow down. You have to get well rounded.

You can't just focus on one martial art and be a badass. Plus, you actually have to focus on it. You don't go once and never have to train again. Give it a year or two. Take it slow because everyone thinks they're going to train 8 hours a day but that never happens. Your body can't keep up with that.
>>
>>31606033
Of course, he understands that he cannot be the best, but he doesnt want to be (i also already explained this to him). He just wants to be better than he was before.
>>
>>31606048

>>31605983 here. if he's got a realistic expectation, then by all means have him go at it. just explain that a 12 year old will probably beat him up at the gym at one point.
>>
How do I learn these skills?
>>
File: kommando martial arts course.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
kommando martial arts course.webm
2MB, 480x360px
What's the difference between a good dojo and a bad one?
>>
>>31606092

aliveness in training and some form of outside competition to validate.
>>
>>31606092
The difference is the people.

There are some teachers that just aren't dedicated and/or reliable, and they can put their students in limbo to a point where they aren't progressing.

The dojo itself is irrelevant. You can train somebody in a back alley.
>>
>ctrl+f
>"systema"
>0 of 0

It's like you people don't want to become drunk slavs and channel Russian Orthodox magics and force touch people into comas.
>>
>>31606163
if it's like Krav Maga then fuck off
>>
This is the fucking weapons board dude holy shit why did u think it would be a good idea to post about mma here? Might as well post it in the origami board since it's just as relevant.

And all you retards replying rather than saging it, worse than the Chinese cartoons fags
>>
>>31604873
technically he abandoned his own style after a few years and let the school die. It would have been something very different if he had lived.

>>31605000
it's a strong style of kung fu depending on the application. The school was developed by a woman to utilize repetitive strikes to inflict damage in lieu of having physical strength. Grappling is not a strength of the form and grappling styles tend to eat it alive.

The internet is a toxic bed of martial arts misinformation and the congealed poison partly wound up on /asp/, which is an insufferable shithole of dickwaving.

The best answer you will get is that the best style is the one that fits you physically, and that you should mix hard and soft techniques to build yourself into a well rounded fighter. A teacher that understands that is important. A lot of the "X style is gay" bullshitting is from people obsessed with their one school being the best at competitions, etc.

I really hope martial arts does not migrate here because we already have enough shitposting about mud tests and "meme" bullets.
>>
>>31604798
The instructor is the biggest factor.
Where I am from, I saw a lot of wing chun school popping up. Most of the places i've seen is pretty much meme tier bs. Even past the meme tier bs, the few legit school don't spar enough. I do WC, the only sparring I get is if it's against someone in the street and not against someone in a ring. It will work, if its against some chump who don't know how to fight, not sure if it will work against someone who knows what they are doing. I need to spar with someone one day and see.
>>
>>31606197

so the answer to women not having a lot of upper body strength is even weaker punches?
>>
>>31605960
Your wife is 16 and she has a son that wants to get into boxing!?
You must be from Alabama!
>>
>>31604798
I like the idea of Wing Chun for its striking and aggressiveness but i'd definitely do some ground stuff too. Wrestling would likely be a good choice because it's probably cheaper than judo and/or ju-jitsu given their current popularity.
>>
>>31606289

judo's actually dirt cheap.

jits is expensive though.
>>
>>31606189
(You) sound mad
>>
File: MA.jpg (751KB, 1712x2771px) Image search: [Google]
MA.jpg
751KB, 1712x2771px
>>31604798
Check out /mag/ (Martial arts general) on /asp/
>>
>>31606299
Judofag
I pay 10 euro a session vs my BJJ friends 20.
>>
>>31606229
a lot of fast, hard to counter jabs to the same location does cumulative damage equal to or in excess of one solid strike. The analogy generally used is "a battering ram wearing down a gate." They look like weak strikes but they're sufficiently strong enough to knock the wind out of you. Three or four of them to the same rib = broken rib. That's why they look like spastic retards when they spar, speed is the key ingredient.
>>
>>31606082
Seagal studies Aikido.
>>
>>31606422

that's not how the human body works but ok.

i mean if it worked you'd see more flyweight boxers do it.
>>
>>31606423
when he finally dies in the bathtub with a pickle in his ass we'll figure out what drugs he was on his whole career.
>>
>>31606472

ki.

>ki: not even once.
>>
>>31606457
the school has been around for a while, they must be on to something. I'm not saying it's a good choice but that's their rationale for the punching.
>>
>>31606041
>silat

Don't bother yourself.

Malaysia, where silat is popular and pretty much a national sports, the police and military actually taught taekwondo (or a variation of it) for its unarmed combat courses

(translated from malay)

.....Show the power and agility of the members of the military staged a demonstration of unarmed combat (TTS) in the Ministry of Defence Stadium recently proud Major (Rtd) Abdul Rahman Hashim, 67.

It directly restore her memory to the days when he was still serving in the Armed Forces (ATM).

When the new year he joined the ATM and elected to undergo military taekwondo coach of South Korea.

Making child birth Balik Pulau, Penang, between the first Malaysian to learn taekwondo.

?? At that time in 1963, ATM has not been what's up, what's the basic techniques of self-defense official.

?? With about 120 other members, we follow a basic training taekwondo in Imphal Camp, located in the capital, ???? he said after the launch of the ATM TTS.

They also practice at the Embassy of South Korea, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

Communication between the coach and the pupil when it was very difficult because the coach of South Korea could only speak a few words in English like ?? yes ??, ?? no ??, ?? ?? alright.

However, thanks to the patience and hard work, they have successfully completed training in the last year and two years later to qualify as a coach.

However, only about 70 people made it to that level.

Subsequently, Rahman and his colleagues in modifying the techniques learned by ATM requirements and named TTS.

http://ww1.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2006&dt=1122&pub=utusan_malaysia&sec=Polis_%26_Tentera&pg=te_03.htm&arc=hive
>>
>>31606500

they've got a good marketing scheme.
>>
>>31606197
The internet was the best thing to happen to martial arts, now people who talk shit and don't test it out are automatically outed as frauds because they can't or won't back up their claims in an alive training scenario.
>>
Have any of you done martial arts in gear? Like kicking with a rifle in your hands, or grappling in armor? I wonder for /tg/ reasons
>>
>>31606586
I've done mcmap, as I'm sure many others have. Not a particularly great martial arts system, but I can probably answer what you want to know.
>>
>>31606586
a shocking amount of "martial" arts include weapons training. If you want to know about modern firearms melee techniques the forms used by real militaries are built on real combat and proven. MCMAP, Systema, LINE, Jew-do (Krav Maga) are where to look. Police and soldiers that deal with civilians tend to learn indigenous styles like in Hong Kong and Thailand.
>>
>>31606654

hahahaha LINE.

Combatives works much better, has much more flexible range of responses, and is more realistic because the goal is to teach you what you don't know/where your natural instincts will get you killed and allow you to survive until your buddy shows up with a gun.
>>
>>31606678
it's for /tg/, guys with bayonets in trenches fit
>>
>>31606041
>silat

Don't bother yourself. Even in malaysia, where silat is taught pretty much everywhere and is a national sport, the police and military adopted Taekwondo as the bssis for their unarmed combat programme

Below is an interview of Major(rtd) Abdul Rahman Hashim, one of the founder of army unarmed combat programme and one of the students of Gen Choi Hong Hee, father of modern Taekwondo.
(translated from malay via google translate)

>At that time in 1963, ATM (malaysian armed forces)had no official basic unarmed combat curriculum

>With about 120 other members, we follow a basic training taekwondo in Imphal Camp, located in the capital, he said after the launch of the ATM TTS. (armed forces unarmed combat courses)

>They also practice at the Embassy of South Korea, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

>Communication between the coach and the pupil when it was very difficult because the coach of South Korea could only speak a few words in English like "yes no and alright."

>However, thanks to the patience and hard work, they have successfully completed training in the last year and two years later to qualify as a coach.

>However, only about 70 people made it to that level.

>Subsequently, Rahman and his colleagues in modifying the techniques learned by ATM requirements and named TTS.

>They are then able to present to the public the techniques at ATM TTS Tattoo (military public demo) performances

>many of my students have been successful and there has even been a world champion in taekwondo
>he once served with the Royal Artillery Corps.

http://ww1.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2006&dt=1122&pub=utusan_malaysia&sec=Polis_%26_Tentera&pg=te_03.htm&arc=hive
>>
>>31606586
I used to be on a pretty big airsoft team, every now and then some of us who also happened to do MA would do a bit in our gear
>>
In IRL self defence Judo has the important advantage of making you good at throwing people onto the floor while staying upright yourself.

Then you can run away. Given most people don't know how to break fall and there is no mat they won't be getting up fast.
>>
Gun kata
>>
>>31606834
As a Judoka I'd also advise learning a striking art in case you can't get into that grappling position.
>>
>>31606710
Why tho?
>>
>>31606874
Of course, its just something nobody mentioned yet that I thought was worth bringing up.

IRL your main priority is to get the hell out of there as fast as possible in most situations.
>>
>>31604798
The martial art itself isn't that important. What is important is how training is. To be effective training must be hard and close to reality. Intense physical training is often an indication of a good school. Non-homo sparring is another good indication.
>>
>>31604820
add tae kwon doe and kali then
\thread
>>
>>31606898
Too much bullshit, from nonsensical katas to all those "mystic" things. You're basically drinking the Kool-aid when joining any silat association
>>
>>31604936
The thing about aikido is most people dont know that there is traditional aikido and modern aikido. As a guy who does traditional aikido, yeah, modern aikido is a fucking meme. The way to tell if whoever is teaching is teaching modern or traditional is look at how the students spar and practice technique. If they just kind of let the person do technique on them, and they're being very gentle, that's modern aikido. In traditional aikido it's a disservice to not give everything you've got in regards to the physical intensity of how you practice. If you dont hurt all over after practice from repeated holds and strikes, then you probably haven't had a good practice. Try to see if there's anyone from the Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido in your area. Anyone far enough along from that school to teach is gonna be the real deal. Henry Ellis learned from Kenshiro Abbe during the 50's and 60's. Now he's just the spitting image of Emperor Palpatine
>>
>>31604873
His style was Wing Chun. He added his own developments.
>>
File: Werdum face.png (57KB, 171x240px) Image search: [Google]
Werdum face.png
57KB, 171x240px
>>31607013

Now, I've trained boxing since I was a kid, and learning BJJ for the past 6-7 years, and I've found that TKD's pretty useless.

Like, we've had tonnes of people come through that are all sorts of belts in it, and they've all been pretty shitty. Boxers have better punches, Kickboxers have better kicks, they're basically masters of fuck-all.

Sure, they can do all sorts of jumping, spinning kicks and shit, but in a real life situation, you aren't gonna get to throw that shit whilst the other dude's trying to tackle you and turn your face into paste with his fists.

And Kali's only useful if you carry a fucking stick with you everywhere, and I'm pretty sure in the countries that's legal in, you could carry something better.

Anyway, I'll just echo what others have said, something striking like boxing, something grappling like judo or BJJ.

It's worth learning how to do some sort of basic double leg takedown too, we've had a Wrestling bloke in a few times to teach us shit, you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to shoot for a takedown or properly follow through with it.
>>
>>31605161
According the description of the video his 14 win record was a fabrication.
>>
>>31606189
My body is a weapon
>>
>>31606586
Yes. Getting thrown through a wall hurts less than you would think.

Source: Domestics fucking suck.
>>
>>31606654
>If you want to know about modern firearms melee techniques the forms used by real militaries are built on real combat and proven.
The problem I've generally run into with these, most specifically with handguns, is that they're all geared towards a military/police mindset which is not entirely applicable to the man on the street.
>>
>>31604798

Jeet Kun Do. Wing Chun is for pussies.
>>
>>31604983
I was mostly referring to the people who act as if MMA has solved fighting and everyone who thinks otherwise assumes eye-poking will end the fight immediately.

When the truth is that it ignores important considerations like most fights occurring on a surface or situation that you won't want to go to the ground on/in. Or that most people you fight will be wearing a shirt.
>>
>>31608199
>And Kali's only useful if you carry a fucking stick with you everywhere, and I'm pretty sure in the countries that's legal in, you could carry something better.
Is there a single country in the world that bans the use of a cane?
>>
>>31604873

Do not listen to the other faggots responding to you. I have practiced the original JKD ("JKD Concepts" is bullshit, do not practice it) and been instructed by one of the most highly recognized instructors in the world. Wing Chun is nothing like JKD whatsoever. It's a lot more like Kung Fu, which is nothing more than sporty showmanship and memorized katas, in that it embraces a highly structured form of fighting. The Art of the Artlessness is the superior way to practice martial arts, and every time I have seen a master in JKD fight a master in WC, the master in WC has always lost within 30 seconds (usually a lot closer to 10.) The only other martial art that's even comparable in effectiveness is Krav Maga. You simply cannot prepare to fight a skilled practitioner of JKD except to bring pepper spray and a gun.

As to why it is not popular, it's because Bruce Lee closed down most of his schools before he died. His legacy now survives dynastically because of this; the scholars who best understand what the "original" JKD looked like are the people that were either related to him or knew him personally, or were otherwise students of his students.
>>
>>31604798
>whats the best martial art to learn?
Whichever one is at a gym that regularly practices full contact sparring without ridiculous/unrealistic rules (i.e. strict karate gyms that practice their goofy wide stance and no head hitting garbage). Bonus points if it's a gym that actually competes and produces fighters at an amateur or even professional level, whether it's MMA, KB/MT, BJJ, boxing, or even something as simple as PKB tournaments.

You can turn into a master at slaying the heavy bag or working pad and mit drills with a partner, but unless you actually put it into practice with an opponent who doesn't stand still and hits back, it's mostly just exercise and mental masturbation and you are hardly any more prepared to fight.

This is why 9/10 times MMA gyms stomp the shit out of guys from karate/taekwando/aikido/whatever mcdojos.
If you want to learn how to fight, it means putting in a mouth guard and donning some pads and getting your ass kicked until you figure out what to do. If you want some guy to just hand you a belt every few months and practice goofy shit like forms, then just do whatever.
>>
>>31604873
im absorbing some cheeseburgers and paranoia.
>>
>>31607013

TKD is generally shit.

if you train as hard as the Dog Brothers, sure.
>>
>>31609301

yes, because the floor is covered with broken glass AIDS needles made of lava.

oh no, a shirt. what if we had, like, a heavy open jacket that we would wear in grappling practice with a reinforced collar so we could practice manipulating dudes by their clothing.
>>31609415
>no, I have the R34L JKD
>>
File: IMG_0823.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0823.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
>>31604798
Why do faggots interested in self defense always think of taking up wing chun? You must be white.

>If you want an all around hand2hand method of protecting yourself then you should take up

Muay Thai.

>If you want to learn a martial art that's actually useful(extremely useful but pretty limited) and you simply just want a black belt in something then take up

Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

>if you can afford to take up more than 1 martial art then

Brazilian jiu-jitsu + boxing so you can be agile and practical in real world scenarios.

Brazilian jiujitsu + Muay Thai if you want to be as close as possible to an actual MMA fighter.
>>
>>31611428

you do realize it takes on average well over a decade to get a BJJ black belt, right?
>>
>>31611450
And?
>>
>>31611487
if you just want a black belt, go to a McDojo

if you're in BJJ for a black belt, you're going to be waiting forever and getting frustrated at the slow progress.
>>
>>31611524
Mcdojos are for mcfaggots and if you just want a black belt just to show off with no skill to back it up then I'm not willing to continue the conversation.
>>
>>31611804

that's what you're implying, faggot. >>31611428
>if... you simply just want a black belt in something

there's nothing simple about getting a BJJ black belt.
>>
>>31604798
Dim Mak
>>
>>31611826
I really don't know what your problem is.
>>
>>31612103
>>31611826
I never said that the process of obtaining a black belt was simple. I was referring to if he just simply wanted a black belt just because of their stigma as if he over looked combat sports like boxing/kickboxing because they don't have belts: thus not having that stigma that TMA have because they do give out "cool" black belts
>>
>>31612155

judo's an easier method to get a black belt in a useful martial art than BJJ.

belts are useful only as far as they represent tangible evidence of your progress, but the type of person who discounts a style because it doesn't have a belt ranking system is the type of person who will ragequit when they're not a blackbelt after two years. or honestly more likely after the first two weeks of BJJ when they're getting their face rubbed into a mat by someone who they outweigh by 30 pounds.
>>
I'm strong for my weight, but without question I'm a pretty light guy at 65kg/145punds.

What would be best for me?

For fitness/if I ever need to defend myself. I'm good at avoiding trouble but my brother once got king-hit for being white so you know.

Then again, training could not have prevented his thousands of dollars in dental bills.

tl;dr, best style for lightweight?
>>
>>31612233
It really depends. Since you're light it might mean that your weak this grappling probably isn't your strong suit. Maybe some kind of striking system. Boxing,kickboxing,muaythai?
>>
>>31604936
I remember going to /asp/ when it was made and there were all these threads about sumo, muay thai, greco-roman, jiu-jitsu, boxing, etc. and it's sad going there now and only seeing WWE and TNA threads. Wasted potential.
>>
>>31612408
I know how you feel :/
>>
>>31605867
>Look at me. I can Google "kung fu loses," and make up silly phrases.

>>31604798
Those two side. You do you, OP. Find a good teacher for whatever you pick up and train hard.
>>
File: bruce.gif (149KB, 260x218px) Image search: [Google]
bruce.gif
149KB, 260x218px
>>31604798

Wing Tsun practicioner here.

Wing Tsun > all other martial arts.

Its highly practical, its all full contact and there is no "bullshit techniques which will magically show themselves to you after your 3rd Dan".

Ignore the fags talking about "Mhuai Thai" or "Jew Jitsu". Those are more sports and memes than anything else.

Boxing is a real choice, but boxing requires a strong body.

You cant go wrong with Wing Chun/Ving Chin/Wing Tsun, but keep in mind that eventually you also need to be top fit to stand a chance in a real brawl.

Ive used my skills twice in my life and both times I defended myself bravely against various Turks (Europe). Couldnt gotten shanked, but you also learn situational awareness.

Ignore all the retards here, they havent seen the inside of a dojo in their lives.
>>
>>31612787
No aliveness.
>>
>>31612787
>Wing Tsun > all other martial arts.
https://twitter.com/lvov80/status/784596774447157256
>>
>>31609401

I'll give you that, but that means you have to relatively old, act as though you're injured and need said cane or end up looking like a fucking dweeb who's strutting around with a cane on the off chance someone wants to fight him.

It's just infinitely more practical to simply learn how to properly throw a punch.
>>
File: IMG_1343.jpg (31KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1343.jpg
31KB, 306x306px
>>31612787

>Its highly practical

Are there any actual video proof? I'm not talking about videos showing a practictioner trying out moves on a guy that's willingly getting rag dolled without putting up an ounce of resistance.

>no "bullshit techniques"

There probably won't be any BS techs at the end but since the very beginning like most TMA hand techniques are notoriously usually garbage.

>Ignore the fags talking about "Mhuai Thai" or "Jew Jitsu". Those are more sports and memes than anything else.

I hate you TMA that think just because it's a sport and doesn't have the actual meme title of "martial art" that it'll be trash or not useful.

There's literally hundred of videos showing simple boxers overwhelming TKD fighters, MT fighters not getting a scratch from actual king fu monks or BJJ practitioners choking karate fighters like an anaconda. Martial arts are usually just that; arts. They're beautiful and flashy but usually not practical. Especially when compared to the "meme sports" you talk down to.

>You cant go wrong with Wing Chun/Ving Chin/Wing Tsun, but keep in mind that eventually you also need to be top fit to stand a chance in a real brawl.

What the actual fuck does that even mean? So you're saying you have to be strong if you actually want to be useful? Why can't you stand a chance with pure technique alone? That alone makes those martial arts useless.
>>
martial arts for self defense is a meme

learn how to box
>>
>>31612876
Kek this
>>
>>31605000
In reality it is a very brutal martial art as it was developed in a time where that's what was called for, as such you won't see the throat/eye/groin strikes in a sparring match (obviously). Tldr: good for seriously hurting/life death scenarios. Bad for simply trying to stop a fight with minimal damage to opponent. Source: I trained under a student of Ip Man in cali for a while.
>>
>>31612866

>Are there any actual video proof?

This video is from the early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRPDhuX1DY

>There probably won't be any BS techs at the end but since the very beginning like most TMA hand techniques are notoriously usually garbage.

Listen I dont wanna start insulting etc, nor do I have time for this. Wing Tsun is where most Japanese practical martial arts got their throws etc from.

Also Wing Tsun isnt a "trick handbook". It doesnt give you a "counter-move", it simply trains muscle memory to certain pressure changes in contact.

Meaning you literally go with the flow.

>I hate you TMA

I dont know what that means.

>So you're saying you have to be strong if you actually want to be useful?

Have you ever been in a fight? If you had, youd understand that technique helps your muscle memory do certain moves, which will help you.

A stronger dude, or a man with twice the reach of your's will be hard to beat with or without techniques.

This isnt rocket science. If you have 2 clones fighting each other, the one with Wing Chun will fuck the other one up easily.

If you have prime Mike Tyson vs old Yip man, thats gonna be very hard, despite his god-tier technique.

Fucking millenials I swear...
>>
>>31612866
You realise BJJ, Judo and Muay Thai are martial arts right?

Boxing is a martial art, wrestling is a martial art, shooting is a martial art. Learn what words mean before you start insulting things.
>>
>>31611187

>>31609415 here. I understand I probably sound like an edgy faggot, but I am not kidding when that it's not a minor distinction whatsoever. Wing Chun is a laughing stock at my dojo. We beat up on those guys all the time. JKD Concepts is similarly bullshit because it's basically "souped down" JKD that incorporates a lot more shit directly from Wing Chun, and run by people who had nothing to do with Bruce Lee or the original JKD. It is essentially JKD re-imagined by scholars who are trying overly hard to piece together a lost art, when in fact it was never lost in the first place.

This is not like buying a handgun, where most of the distinctions are minor and it really doesn't matter what you buy. Martial arts are a huge time investment, and you want to make sure you are using your time wisely by learning the most effective techniques possible, and learning them from the best instructors possible. Otherwise, how can you ever be expected to take it seriously?

>>31604798

OP, if you are still reading this thread, please only consider either Jeet Kun Do or Krav Maga if you are serious about learning a martial art. BJJ/ MMA also provide a very good CQC foundation for any discipline, and you'll get in great shape by taking classes. Personally, I used to run Boxing/ MMA/ JKD classes back-to-back; you probably don't have to go that far, but you should try to get MMA *and* something else if you can handle it.
>>
>>31604798
For 99% of what you would ever encounter in real life, boxing. If you want something more versatile learn Jiu-Jitsu or even just plain wrestling.

The great majority of the time if you ever have to fight somebody it will end immediately if you actually know how to throw a punch. Get a heavy bag and hit it a thousand times every day for a month and you are now qualified to defeat 70% of all men. Get someone who knows what they're doing to correct your form as you do it and this goes up to 90% Learn how to actually box and it goes up to 99%. Everything after that is just shaving off additional slivers of that remaining 1% of men you might theoretically fight.
>>
>>31613139

ok, one video where Wing Chun wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WNtL4UKcwA (and it's in Hong Kong too.)

an art invented in the 1800s is where the Japanese learned to throw each other in armor in the samurai days of the 1500s?

and Mike Tyson was a monster technique-wise as well. when Cus d'Amato was alive, Tyson was the scariest man on earth. the fact that you're implying that your weak little straight blast can deal with a man with almost perfect defense and who can throw power punches as fast as you can do a shitty speed bag drill of weak punches in front of you means you have no credibility.

Tyson in his prime would have destroyed Ip Man in his prime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHFZO_G0PRM
>>
>>31612787
For anyone who's actually interested in learning how to fight, this guy is a retard.
Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu are probably the two most legitimate sports there are to learn.
>>
>>31613641
I agree with this guy, MA trained fighters generally don't go round starting fights. Boxing is simple and effective and will quickly deal with the drunks and bullies that start shit. Most people won't try it if you're in good shape and are mentally strong.

If you want to train hard for years in various styles to defeat the top 1% then that's commendable, but it's a life-long commitment to stay at the top level.
>>
should never use martial arts in street fights, you should use weapons first, going at it unarmed is retarded. that said you may not have it on you or able to bring out fast enough so learn:

boxing: how to use your hands
muay thai: how to integrate your body's other natural weapons with your hands
wrestling: maximum amount of force on force throws and back taking. you take the back you almost always win. very simple.
jiu jitsu: submissions, surviving on your back. no one chooses to fight on their back on the street, you end up there when you made a mistake and might end up dead. your first goal is to survive and get back on your feet.
judo: throws. a single good throw is a fight stopper.
american catch: submissions, throws, and holds. great all around style.
>>
>>31616131

wise man.
>>
>>31616131
>his martial arts don't teach weapons
Seriously though, there is a reason classical European fighting manuals generally boil unarmed fighting down to throw the for to the ground and then either stab him or run away.
>>
>>31615603

being a top 1% fighter globally basically means you're a medium-to-high level professional fighter. so it's a bit more than a life-long commitment.
>>
>>31616189
>so it's a bit more than a life-long commitment.

>so it's a bit more than a life-long commitment.

how can one man with one life give more than a one-life-long-commitment you fucking dumbass
>>
>>31616209

his comment seemed to imply that it was something you could keep up by training 2-3x/week for an hour or two, when really you need to be in the gym making it your career 8 hours a day to sustain that level. and you're going to be a broken man by 45 most likely.
>>
File: 1475620531755.jpg (50KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1475620531755.jpg
50KB, 500x625px
>>31612787
Hey there fella, I practice Wing Chun too.

You must not be very experienced if you're going to talk shit about Jiu Jitsu mang. Those guys practice touch sensitivity training like we do. They'll snap your fucking elbow in about four seconds on the ground faggot. You need to learn to respect.
>>
>>31616251

I did Jiu Jitsu for years, before I switched to WT.

>>31613873

>Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu are probably the two most legitimate sports there are to learn.

This guy is right. Theyre "sports", not self-defense/combat martial arts.

The German KSK does Wing Tsun. That should tell you everything.
>>
File: PRIDE.jpg (5KB, 150x218px) Image search: [Google]
PRIDE.jpg
5KB, 150x218px
>>31616320
You're a fucking joke faggot. I bet you're Yip Man Lineage.

Two words for you nigger:

DOUBLE
LEG

Your style has fucking zero defence against grapplers. Time to find a different lineage of WT. Your inexperience is showing when you talk shit about Jiu Jitsu. Gracie guys will double leg your sifu and snap his fucking bones REAL QUICK.
>>
Why do people think martial arts just means unarmed anyway?

Any codified combat system is a martial art whether it uses fists, knives, spears or guns.
>>
>>31616320

Japanese Jiu Jitsu and BJJ are completely different.

and the US Army does combatives which is heavily BJJ/MMA focused. MCMAP is also MMA focused.
>>
>>31604798
HEMA or you might as well be a woman.
>>
>>31616376

i'd assume open carrying a longsword would be enough deterrence.
>>
How does Judo work when you take away the outfit? I imagine a tshirt would rip much easier in a throw
>>
File: 1459829161899.png (32KB, 271x243px) Image search: [Google]
1459829161899.png
32KB, 271x243px
>>31616351
3 words fag face:

YOU
ARE
GETTING
TROLLED
>>
File: 1475283304012.jpg (50KB, 496x436px) Image search: [Google]
1475283304012.jpg
50KB, 496x436px
>>31616410
nah man. Being a wing chun guy, I am fully confident this guy exists irl. A lot of weak ass Yip Man lineage low energy low-test faggots act this way.

They get scooped up and double-legged HARD.
>>
>>31616404

natural handles. grab a fistful of t-shirt for your collar grip, underhooks/overhooks are easy, and just grab wrist instead of sleeve. or if you're in winter, just grab their jacket and proceed as normal.
>>
>>31616391
Be warned, good longswords will run almost as much as guns. It's an expensive martial art for sure.

It'll make you a man though. I once fucked up a block and got my thumb fractured.
>>
>>31616478

i've got enough expensive hobbies and a demanding work, but maybe if/when i switch jobs and move somewhere else i'd consider HEMA.

wouldn't mind looking at pretty swords though.
>>
>>31616410
Another anon doing wing chun here, I can validate >>31616454. Some people think that WC is the godsent of all martial when in reality, it has it fair share of flaws.
Something that I really hate in Wing Chun is all the schools that shows off their lineage/claiming how pure they are and because of that, they say they are the best of the best
>>
>>31616538
I agree my kung fu brother. There is a lot of good WT out there, still. I know of systems that have some absolutely scary guys in them, and have knowledge of grappling range. A lot of lineages have lost knowledge of the complete system from southern shaolin over time.
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.