[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know nothing about guns, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: left_handed_gun_xlg.jpg (312KB, 1147x1500px) Image search: [Google]
left_handed_gun_xlg.jpg
312KB, 1147x1500px
I'm not usually a /k/ browser, so if this is a frequently asked question, I'm sorry, but I wondered about this while opening up a can this morning for my dog.

Does being left-handed act as a hinderance for gun ownership and use? Do they have to make left-handed guns for people special, or are most workable in either hand?

I tried googling it and all I got was pic related, a 1958 western film. I only ask because I've had occasional interests in seeing a gun show and learning more, and I'd like to not walk in asking a probably obvious question.
>>
>>31602431

Most guns are made for right handed people, but they're not impossible to use left handed. Stuff like slide release and safety lever will only be on the left side of the gun to be activated with the thumb of a right handed user.

There are a lot of ambidextrous guns you can get with controls on both sides, and some let you swap which side the mag release is on.
>>
real problem with guns is not being left or right handed but cross eye dominant
>>
File: 1475211114785.jpg (102KB, 441x414px) Image search: [Google]
1475211114785.jpg
102KB, 441x414px
>>31602613
>tfw left handed with right eye dominance
>>
>>31602431
Most guns are designed for right-handed people and as such are mildly (Colt SAA, single-shot long guns, etc.) to extremely (bolt-action rifles, many automatic handguns) inconvenient for left-handed people. Your options are to either git gud, shoot with your right hand or find left-handed versions of guns you want.
>>
>>31602431
don't bother with ambi modifications, learn to use the standard controls from either shoulder. if the design is natively ambi, that's great.

You can make almost any design work, and some easier as a southpaw. One thing you shouldn't do is bother with side-ejecting bullpups.
>>
eye dominance is more important. If you're left handed just be aware of what models you look at and handle them to make sure the controls work for whatever goofy ass way you have to use them. Ambi pistols are ideal and it's never mattered to me with shotguns or rifles. If you're left handed you should have a pretty easy time adapting to right handed use anyway, you've been doing it your whole life so it only takes a little practice to get it down.
>>
>>31602431

Left handed firearms exist. Plenty of left handed hunting rifles out there and I personally own a left handed mirror image 1911.
>>
File: zackgaoidjfadkjfoi.gif (432KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
zackgaoidjfadkjfoi.gif
432KB, 500x240px
>>31602621
>right handed
>right eye dominant

Feels good man
>>
>>31602631
The SAA is actually left handed. For a right handed person to reload one they typically place it in their left hand and operate the ejector rod with the right, load with the right, and place the gun back in the right hand. A left handed person doesn't ever have to switch hands.

OP, the movie you're talking about is about Billy the Kid. It's based on a famous picture of him that shows him equipped with firearms Southpaw and, based on that assumption, made the character left handed. They had no idea the photo was actually reversed.
>>
>>31602431
Depends. Some guns are easily workable, some are more frustrating.

Looking at a CZ85, it's a CZ75 with ambi controls, allowing a left-handed shooter to easily work it.

The Ithaca 37 shotgun is completely left/right neutral, given that it is a pump and it ejects straight down.

Some newer bullpup rifles make the effort to be easily reconfigured for a left-handed shooter due to the fact that a regular right handed bullpup will be spitting hot brass in the face of a left handed shooter, or even have the ejection port right on their face.
In that sense, some bullpups are actually more lefty friendly than many conventional guns. If you want a lefty AR15 rifle, you need a completely new receiver and bolt-carrier group at the least (that said, a properly made and put together lefty rifle would work like a charm, and basic ones of decent quality can be had in the $800 range, comparable to a regular Colt brand rifle)
>>
>>31602613
>>31602621

>right handed but left eye dominant with right eye incredibly fucked

KILL ME
>>
>>31602631
Lefty here.
I prefer righty bolt guns, honestly. And righty pistols arent so bad, once you learn how to hit the mag release and drop the slide with your trigger or middle finger.
>>
File: 9kTluTI[1].gif (2MB, 452x254px) Image search: [Google]
9kTluTI[1].gif
2MB, 452x254px
>>
>>31602431
Pretty much only for rifles. The bolt is usually on the right side of most rifles making it awkward for a lefty to use and hot shells will eject directly onto your arm. They do make several firearms that are ambidextrous though.
>>
>>31603465
literally same here, this shit is fucking cancer.
>>
>>31603515
If you're a left saying this, watch SPR, especially the church tower scene. If your lefty friend said this, have him do the same.
Taking shooting ideas from a movie is usually retarded but after seeing how he cycles the springfield with his right hand i tried it. Works so much better because you can keep your entire trigger hand and cheek weld in place, keeping consistency shot to shot.
>>
>>31603465
This is me.

I don't actually care, as it hasn't effected me much aside from some guns being set up elusively for right hand uses (shot gun fitment, finger grooves and grips, check rest on stocks, etc).

What annoys me more is that becuase my right eye is so fucked, I'm stereoblind, which makes judging distance a pain in the ass for me. Not to mentioned I can't participate in gimmick shit like 3d tvs.
>>
>>31602613
>right handed
>left eye dominant
>have forced myself to use my right eye my entire life
>can still shoot better (albeit it only marginally) with left eye
I mean, my right eye is still fine for hunting/fucking around target shooting, but shooting for accuracy, my left eye is slightly better.
>>
>>31603431
>lefty ar-15
Stag sells left handed ar uppers and lowers, honestly the only thing am ar really needs to be lefty friendly is a $20 ambi safety.
Some bull pups are pretty reconfigurable, but the aug as an example requires a $300 bolt on top of the price you pay for the rifle
>>
Hey man dont worry about it i know how to fix this. I have been a natrual lefty my whole life. Played baseball as a lefty, swing my hammer lefty, hell i even eat lefty, but my dad and my grandpa taught me to shoot and showed me how to over come this. Start off with a shotgun at a trap (claypigoen) range. Use both eyes but shoot from your right. Just keep at it for a while, really get used to both eyes, once you can dust 10 consecutivley start with your right eye open only. Youll learn how to compensate for the distance. After that then move into rifles and pistoles with iorn sights. Same idea. Start both eyes open and learn how to compensate right eye only. I just got my 50 bird badge recently and the world of guns has been great to me man. Trust me the effort is worth it to be able to shoot righty.
>>
There is something sinister about this thread.
>>
>>31603130

with DA swing-out cylinder guns you switch which hand holds the gun when you reload (you can do it video game style but that's retarded and results in fumbling to get your speed loader/moon clips indexed). does that make them left handed?
>>
>>31605250
underrated post
>>
How important is it to get a left handed gun for dual wielding? Can mirrors of the same gun use the same magazines?
>>
>>31605338

answer: dual wielding is for faggots. and cowboy action shooters. and they shoot one gun at a time and don't reload them on the clock.
>>
>>31603549
He cycles the bolt with his left hand. I just watched the scene again to verify.
>>
>>31605338
>Can mirrors of the same gun use the same magazines?
I don't see why not.

If you look at Beretta pistols, they usually feature a reversible magazine release and cutouts on both sides of the magazines to facilitate this usage (on top of ambidextruous safeties).
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.