[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic unrelated So bear with me on this currently underdeveloped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (12KB, 315x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 315x160px
Pic unrelated

So bear with me on this currently underdeveloped thought.
What if instead of giving the government a database of law abiding citizens for doing background checks with (screw that noise by the way) the government gives the gunshop owners an "anonymous" database with all the convicted fellons.
By anonymous i mean: a picture, a name and one of the following sentences "convicted fellon. do not sell firearms to." or "currently under investigation for fellony charges. Do not sell firearms to." So no information of what charges he/she is under to limit vigilantism.
With the ability to break the internet connection and use this database offline from stored information on a harddrive so no information on what names where looked up can even reach the government. The information on this database would be updated by the authorities every morning and can be downloaded at any time.
Everybody that enters a gunshop could then be asked to show their id card, the guy behind the counter then looks it up and says: "alright that's good" or "i'm sorry i can't sell you a gun" and afterwards call the police.

I know it sounds idealistic, but so far it sounds reasonable.

Tl;dr: read the fucking text you lazy fuck!
>>
>>31602106
>"i'm sorry i can't sell you a gun"
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nbwjuiXxOU1reygjb.gif (1011KB, 370x243px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nbwjuiXxOU1reygjb.gif
1011KB, 370x243px
>>31602106
>>
File: 1453205044207.jpg (370KB, 1950x2524px) Image search: [Google]
1453205044207.jpg
370KB, 1950x2524px
>>31602106
Basically you want to download the NICS? That is a lot of data to update daily to every store in the country.
>>
>>31602201
OP here

A random id photo on google is apparently around 2 mb.
2mb*5850000 people who are convicted fellons=11700000mb plus the text. Is more than 11.7 terabytes per store.

My google skills suck but yeah that does sound a little unrealistic.
>>
They should let gun sellers be able to refuse to sell guns to anyone who looks like a criminal.
>>
That's literally what we already do, except there is a middle man who has access to the data base that the shop owner has to contact. I'm pretty sure the small business owners don't want to be hassled with maintaining or being responsible with possessing such a data base.
>>
>>31602298
OP here

Wait gunshop owners can't already refuse bussiness for literally any reason?
I thought that a consensual agreement on transactions was the basis of a free market.
>>
>>31602298
das raycist tho
>>
>>31602317
shall not be infringed
>>
>>31602308
This. Gun stores already aren't given the reason for a background check denial.

>>31602317
Yes, any business can. If they really wanted to cover their ass, they could make something up and say they thought they smelled alcohol or something along those lines.
>>
>>31602326
OP:

This denial of "giving bad people guns" is the good part of the background check system.
I thought you guys said the bad part was that the government now knows who bought the gun, wouldn't this system be the solution to that since the government is kept in the dark on whose background is checked, and so they can't keep track of which law abiding citizen owns what?
Therefore giving them less intel for when they become tyranical.
>>
You don't need the entire database, most of your customers will come from a certain radius around you, so batch them by postcode and subscribe to the postcodes you want. Then if someone comes in who isn't within your subscribed postcode, do a once-off for their postcode.
>>
>>31602560
OP:

You, i like you.
>>
>>31602580
It should also be noted that this is the really exciting thing about Bitcoin, not the currency itself, but the other applications of the underlying technology can be used for all kinds of processes that would've formerly been completely impractical for anybody but a government or large corporation to do, like verification, authentication, etc.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure the blockchain technology could be applied to this exact kind of problem, to provide authorisation for a purchase without relinquishing anonymity from the point of view of the purchaser vis a vis the authorising entity.
>>
As others have mentioned, the NICS is a massive database that would need to be updated frequently. Few business have the resources to maintain that.

>>31602560
Would still require a national call in for everyone outside a stores region. And the database, depending on location, could still be huge and not a hassle many retailers would be willing to put up with. And it would still need to be frequently updated.

Maybe something like a weapons permit that shows that you have been pre-cleared. Do a check once and be issued a card that says you are clean. Then buy whatever you want. This may also count as a background check for employers to further muddy the waters from the perspective of a government wanting to round-up some particular group. If you get convicted of anything, card gets revoked.

For a period of time anyway. I don't especially like that a felony conviction revokes your rights in perpetuity. Long probation aren't necessarily unreasonable, maybe even life-long for certain crimes, but when a sentence is served, your rights should be restored.
>>
>>31602106
According to the constitution felons should be able to buy guns
>>
>>31602694
>Maybe something like a weapons permit that shows that you have been pre-cleared. Do a check once and be issued a card that says you are clean. Then buy whatever you want.
Some states are doing that with CHLs now.
>>
>>31602808
my state does this(Illinois). it's a defacto gun owner registry...
>>
>>31602694
OP:

What if we use the method of >>31602560 and when somedody from out of the radius of your stored information wants to buy a gun you have program that shows a landmap upon which you place a 10 mile circle in which the custumors house just happens to fall and you get sent the info on all the convicted fellons in that area.
This way you get your information but the government is still none the wiser
>>
>>31602694
Not really, you just have a small server set up that downloads the part of the database you need to your local database.

An SQL database can easily handle millions of entries, and it wouldn't necessarily be that big, because you would only need some basic information that you could cross-reference with their identification, especially if they had some sort of gun-specific identification that had a RFID chip in, then it could perform an authentication handshake to verify and lookup.
>>
OP:

Also i wouldn't want to force this on gunshop owners by law but i would consider it a useful tool for staying away from legal troubles.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.