[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the American military fumble so badly with machine guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: NIGHTK.jpg (60KB, 480x329px) Image search: [Google]
NIGHTK.jpg
60KB, 480x329px
Why did the American military fumble so badly with machine guns for most of the 20th century?

>US soldier invents the Lewis gun, the grandpa of all modern GPMGs
>American military: NOPE
>Adopts Chauchat instead, lol Chauchat
>Then the BAR, which couldn't provide fuck all for sustained fire
>Then that abortion of a 1919 with a stock and a bipod
>Belgium invents the FN MAG, the standard by which all modern machine guns are judged
>American military: NOOOOOPE
>Proceeds through four incarnations of arguably the worst machine gun ever fielded, the M60
>"IT DOESN'T HAVE PROBLEMS YOU'RE JUST NOT SHOOTING IT RIGHT"
>Finally in the 80's, adopt the FN MAG after all and call it the M240
>Still hanging on to the M2 pressure cooker for some unknown reason

Seriously 'Murrica, step up your MG game!
>>
>>31596656
The M60 turned gooks into spooks more times than you've touched a woman.
>>
>>31596683

What's the advantage of turning Vietnamese into niggers?
>>
>>31596656
>Still hanging on to the M2 pressure cooker for some unknown reason
Aaaand that's where you fucked up.
>>
>>31596703
Something something, bix nood.
>>
>>31596703
lel
>>
>>31596683
>>31596703
>>31597370
/k/lassic
>>
>>31596656
Difference in doctrine, mostly. The US believes that the GPMG should be portable so that it can easily shift position to support the rifleman in fire and maneuver.

If anything, we should use a lighter design like the PK instead of the 240
>>
>>31596656
The M2 would like a word with you.
>>
>>31596656
>m2 is bad meme
its not like theres any other .50 HMGs around
>>
File: 1466754043768.jpg (98KB, 378x485px) Image search: [Google]
1466754043768.jpg
98KB, 378x485px
>>31596656

i was with you until the m2 pressure cooker.

Also the BAR wasn't the worst, like the whole idea of what a machine gun is and its role was still in flux when it was adopted
>>
>>31597520
Eastern bloc had the DShK and now the Kord.
>>
>>31596656
>>Still hanging on to the M2 pressure cooker for some unknown reason

I think a lot of the world still uses that, or the Soviet version.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.