[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on 1911's. Is the only reason to own one for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

File: lbp2hc.jpg (164KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
lbp2hc.jpg
164KB, 1280x853px
Redpill me on 1911's.

Is the only reason to own one for the nostalgia factor? Modern pistols do everything better.
>>
>>31587114
1911s were a shit design even when they came out, the cavalry units they had test them wanted their revolvers back
>>
>really nice SAO triggers
>they feel good and shoot well
>there are alternate calibers and double stack options now too
>fucking everybody makes them or parts for them so you get continual iterative improvements like the AR-15, or x86 PC hardware
>>
>>31587114
>nostalgia factor?
For all of the 1911 owners who are WW2 vets? Nostalgia for what?

It's an accurate pistol that's well designed ergonomically and functionally. As long as that's still applicable relative to other pistols available, and it is, then it'll still be a good pistol. If you don't like them, don't buy it; that applies to any firearm.

Make your own decisions.
>>
>>31587114
They shoot stuff dead.
>>
>>31587114

it's used in bullseye shooting, concealed carry, and from what I can recall come Olympic events.
>>
File: 1441687843282.png (113KB, 828x946px) Image search: [Google]
1441687843282.png
113KB, 828x946px
Any of you homos have a STI 2011? I want a double stack 9mm 1911 and it seems they're used in competition a fair bit, are they actually reliable? Who makes good mags for them?
>>
>>31587114
why not get a Para frame or an STI 2011 or something. similar design, double stack capacity and great triggers.

people act like it's never been improved or modified over the last century.
>>
>>31587114
By that reason we should all drive a Prius.

If you like it and it gets the job done then who the fuck cares?
>>
>>31587227
>STI 2011
Because they're ridiculously expensive guns. RIA has doublestacks for literally a quarter the price.
>>
>>31587227
Because the guns are expensive and the GOOD mags may as well be special editions manufactured by HK using unicorn horn
>>
>>31587189
Not used in Olympic events ever, you didn't recall that correctly
>>
>>31587114
Best triggers on the planet.
Cheap interchangeable parts and mags with great aftermarket.
Lots of people like the grip feel and even look.
They're very thin for a 45 or 10mm which makes them comfier than other guns in that caliber.
>>
>>31587114
1911s are just modern pistols without useless crap like decockers, DA, or chamber indicators.
>>
>>31587114
>Single action trigger
>THE ONLY GUN THAT FITS ALL HAND SIZES
>easiest gun to learn and do custom gunsmithing on
>can disassemble the entire pistol with its own parts and the rim of a 45acp bullet.
>largest aftermarket for personalized parts and holsters.

As lomg as the frame doesnt crack, you can keep the gun running forever. Parts will NEVER dry up. For example, i own an LAR Grizzly in 45winmag, and from 2004-2010 i couldnt even get replacement parts or new ammo for it. Only option for spare parts was to buy another one of the same gun.
>>
>>31587373
>>THE ONLY GUN THAT FITS ALL HAND SIZES

False.

1911s are not for all hand sizes. These guns are huge.

>>can disassemble the entire pistol with its own parts and the rim of a 45acp bullet.*

*If you don't use hex screws(Which you should)

Other than that, yeah.
>>
File: the 1911 is too big for my hands.png (755KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
the 1911 is too big for my hands.png
755KB, 1200x750px
>>31587421
>>
File: 1373670950483.png (98KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
1373670950483.png
98KB, 250x228px
>not having a 10mm 1911 in the current year
>>
>>31587114
I love mine, its real fun to shoot and feels timeless.
However, I would never choose it as anything other than a range toy and "collectable".
A 9mm pistol with 17 rounds gives a way better advantage. There are plenty of stories of guys surviving 45 ACP, and plenty of guys who die to "lol only .380".
I'd rather have more bullets and less size and weight.
On the triggers, they're pretty nice, but I also like Glock triggers so...
>>
>>31587421
1911 are huge if you are an infant or toddler, that is about it.
>>
File: 1475472121843.jpg (29KB, 403x287px)
1475472121843.jpg
29KB, 403x287px
>>31587473
>>
>>31587421
Aren't 1911s thinner in the grip than most double-stack 9's?
>>
>>31587593
Yes.
>>
>everything better
Trivial features like weight and caliber can be adapted to many designs of the past 100 years.

It's not a carry gun, but it excels at target shooting. Great trigger with an immaculate break and a short ass reset, very accurate if made to tight tolerances, and very natural on the hand as long as you have the flat MSH.

I wouldn't take one into a gunfight, but gunfights aren't the only thing guns are good for these days.
>>
>>31587421
Lol wtf are you talking about?

The 1911 fits every sized hand from xs to xl. I have small hands and until the sig 320 small size and ruger american came out, there wasnt a single full size handgun out there that had a small enough grip size for me to have a proper hold where the gun lines up with your arm. I always had to hold a pistol at an angle to get a comfortable grip and trigger position. Even a g19 gen 4 without back strap, was too thick for my short fingers.

Not to mention that you can have a flat or arched mainspring housing for those whose hand geometry fits either or. And you can have short medium or long triggers depending on your finger length.

What handgun allows you to change width of grip, length of trigger reach, and hump or no hump?

And why would you use a hex screw when a flat head screw has worked for over a hundred years? Plus why would you carry around a hex tool when you can just pop a bullet out to remove the screws or use a generic multi tool flat head to unscrew them? The grip screws only hold the grips to the frame, thats its only function, you dont need high end screws for something that serves no purpose in regards to the function of the firearm.
>>
>>31587373
Pls sell me your LAR Grizzly. I've one ever since I shot one as a boy.
>>
>>31587670
*wanted
>>
>>31587148
only because the couldn't deal with having to save the mags and reuse them. they just wanted to drop them and forget them. today if someone told you they didn't like a semi auto because of having to NOT just toss the mags, what would you tell them?
>>
>>31587473
I didn't say it was too big for me, far from it. But it doesn't fit Everyone's hand.

>>31587622
>The 1911 fits every sized hand from xs to xl. I have small hands and until the sig 320 small size and ruger american came out, there wasnt a single full size handgun out there that had a small enough grip size for me to have a proper hold where the gun lines up with your arm. I always had to hold a pistol at an angle to get a comfortable grip and trigger position. Even a g19 gen 4 without back strap, was too thick for my short fingers.

I've handed a 1911 to a 5'0 Woman and she could barely grip it.

>And why would you use a hex screw when a flat head screw has worked for over a hundred years?

Less likey to strip the screw if you use the right size. It's personal preference. half of my 1911s have hex, half have slotted

>Plus why would you carry around a hex tool when you can just pop a bullet out to remove the screws or use a generic multi tool flat head to unscrew them?

When would this ever be useful in a setting where you don't have tools.

I get that it's cool, whatever.

But seriously, in what setting would you need to remove the grip screws but don't have any sort of tools on you? It seems almost like a strawman argument, if we were arguing.

>The grip screws only hold the grips to the frame, thats its only function, you dont need high end screws for something that serves no purpose in regards to the function of the firearm.

Then why is it important that they be removable immediately?
>>
>>31587593
Yes,

the BHP is a close second, with thin grips.
>>
>>31587670
Sorry, no can do. Mine was given to me by my dad as a birth day gift. Brand new with the conversion kits. I bought a second one waaaay over what it was worth just for the parts. And that took some detective work to find the same model. I actually havnt seen my exact gun on an auction site in 3 years. And those lar grizzly club fuckers have been hoarding and buying up every decent shaped one.

On another note, i was also given a winchester 94 in .307 caliber and ive been using it to hunt deer for over 20 years now. At least 307 is still being produced(for 45$ a box of 20). If i had to reload without new casings, id have to shove a 308 bullet into a 30-30 casing lmao.
>>
>>31587114
Fuck me that is the ugliest 1911 I've seen, bright fucking aluminum cookware with driftwood grip, take that back to kmart.
>>
>>31587740
>On another note, i was also given a winchester 94 in .307 caliber and ive been using it to hunt deer for over 20 years now.

At this point it's probably cheaper to just buy a used 94 in .30-30, is it not?
>>
>>31587721
Exactly, you handed a small woman a non custom fitted to her 1911 that was too big for her. If it had thinner grips, and short trigger it would have fit her hands. By short trigger i am refrencing to 1911a1 triggers that are no longer sold standard in any modern production 1911s. Also, regular sized grips are too thick for my hands as well, my 1911 has thin grips, a short trigger, and flat mainspring housing. Thats the only way i can grip a 1911.

And the reason why i mention easy disassembly with a slotted screw head is because more often than not i find myself looking for the correct sized hex tool that i always seem to misplace when im doing a thorough cleaning, than the bullet thats in the magazine ive just unloaded or the flathead in the small multitool thats hanging on my keychain. I would guess its more convenient and likely to find something to fit in a slot around the house(like a coin, or knife) than something that will fit exactly in a specific sized hex screwhead.

Also when working in an armory(at least in my brief mil exp), multiple people only have access to one or two tools that need to be shared. So being able to disassemble something with common items is more convenient than waiting your turn to use a tool.

Yes, its always good to use the proper tool for the job, but when you lose a screw driver or the hex tool, are you just going to stop your disassembly to drive to the store and get a new hex tool or screw driver, or use something of similar shape and do the job anyways?
>>
>>31587114
>Modern pistols do everything better
FALSE. The 1911 is the best tool for ending fights. Everything invented since the 1911 is just a gimmick for gun owners who have never been in a real gunfight. 1911 wins fights, and that's all that matters.
>>
>>31587916
>>31587916
>Exactly, you handed a small woman a non custom fitted to her 1911 that was too big for her. If it had thinner grips, and short trigger it would have fit her hands. By short trigger i am refrencing to 1911a1 triggers that are no longer sold standard in any modern production 1911s. Also, regular sized grips are too thick for my hands as well, my 1911 has thin grips, a short trigger, and flat mainspring housing. Thats the only way i can grip a 1911.

So your argument is that Because you can customize a 1911, it is correct to say "THE 1911 is the ONLY GUN THAT FITS EVERYONE'S HAND"

That's a bit disingenuous.I could say the same thing for a glock. Glock is probably the only OTHER gun that has as large of a aftermarket(Possibly larger) than the 1911s, and you indeed can change damn near everything about them.

Hell, you can build a glock without using a single glock factory part at this point.

But I would not say "GLOCKS FIT EVERYONE'S HAND" because of it.

>And the reason why i mention easy disassembly with a slotted screw head is because more often than not i find myself looking for the correct sized hex tool that i always seem to misplace when im doing a thorough cleaning

This sounds like a personal problem, not a problem with the design.

>So being able to disassemble something with common items is more convenient than waiting your turn to use a tool.

Allen keys aren't common?

>are you just going to stop your disassembly to drive to the store and get a new hex tool or screw driver, or use something of similar shape and do the job anyways?

Depends on the emergency of the repair.
>>
>>31587981
I cant even grip a gen4 no backstrap. Thats how small my hands are. I would need to take a dremel to one to do so. To change the dimensions of a glock you need to remove material. For a 1911 you just switch out parts. Thats a huge difference. Name another gun that can do that with a stock gun. The customization im thinking of is DIY type stuff that requires no expertise or tools other than a hammer and sand paper. No other gun comes close to the 1911 in regards to that. Closest would be a lonewolf glock, but thats already going past stock pistol.

Everything about this hex screw vs sloted screw is all personal of course, i was just giving examples because you asked when it would be useful in a setting with no tools. Off hand idk how i would unscrew a hex without a tool. But i can unscrew a slot without a tool.
>>
>>31588084
>Name another gun that can do that with a stock gun.
Ruger American Pistol.
>>
>>31588095
Hahahaha

True that. Which is why its the only other handgun i own besides a 1911.

Problem with it is that you cant reduce the trigger length. If i could do that, it would be perfect. Right now i have to pull the trigger with tip of finger when shooting one handed which is kind of annoying. And i wish i could reduce the hump even more. But at least the grip geometry is close enough to my 1911 set up that i can still enjoy shooting it. Also sucks that i had to switch to 9mm since 45 doesnt have a small grip.
>>
File: cz_shadow2.png (217KB, 609x410px) Image search: [Google]
cz_shadow2.png
217KB, 609x410px
>>31587219
Just get a CZ Shadow if you want a competition double stack 9mm
>>
>>31588084
>For a 1911 you just switch out parts.

Most of the parts on a 1911 are hand fit. You can't just drop them in from one manufacturer of 1911 to the next. Hell, half the time you can't even swap things on the same make and manufacturer without doing some fitting. The entire handgun has to be hand fit when they build the damn thing.

what are you even talking about?

>The customization im thinking of is DIY type stuff that requires no expertise or tools other than a hammer and sand paper.

On the contrary, customizing a 1911 without fucking it up takes a LOT of expertise.

You're also muddling the definition of "Change" and "DIY". On one hand you say a hammer and sandpaper isn't change, and on the other a dremel is too much.

Most things you can do with a dremel, you can do with sandpaper, but less efficiently.

>I cant even grip a gen4 no backstrap

Then get a new frame.

They make them, you know.

But to put a blanket statement that "1911s fit all hands" without mentioning "Oh yeah I meant after customizing it to fit one's taste" is lazy and dishonest, because ANY handgun with enough work will fit anyone's hand.

>>31588095
The P30 also comes to mind.
>>
>>31588155
Are you serious?

All you need to handfit the parts needed to fit hand shape is sand paper and a hammer.

1911:
New trigger? Sand paper
New MSH? Sand paper and hammer
New grips? Screw driver, possibly sand paper

Glock:
Trigger? Hammer
Smaller backstrap/hump? Dremel
Grip width? Dremel
Hands too small for frame? Buy smaller frame

Ya, same amount of expertise needed....right. To customize a glocks frame is waaay more difficult than switching out parts for a 1911 frame.

All thats needed to fit a 1911 to any persons hand is to swap out trigger, grips, and msh.

All thats needed to fit a glock to any persons hand is dremel or buy new frame. The only thing you can swap out on a glock is the trigger.

Idk how you can think doing dremel work is as easy as swapping parts out.

Have you ever even worked on a 1911 before? Because if you have you should know how easy it is to replace the parts i listed. The only thing that requires real skilled work is anything to do with the slide or frame modification. Heck ill even say a grip safety may not be able to be fitted easily, but thats not even one of the parts that affects grip size(unless you get one with a extended block).

And about saying a 1911 will fit all hands. Of course you have to customize it with parts. Every gun you have to do that. Its just the 1911 is easier and capable of fitting to anyones hand more so than any other pistol. However, no other handgun has this capability without irreversibly modifying the gun. To be more precise, no other gun is as modular.

I would compare the 1911s modularity to an AR. Anyone can DIY with minimal tools the rifle to perfectly fit that person. Short arms? Switch stock
Hand not comfortable? Switch handgrip
Handguard not comfortable? Switch handguard or add grip

Same principle, requires minor tools
>>
>>31587593
the thickest part of a 1911s grip is roughly the same as most doublestack 9mms
the difference is the 1911 is an oval and the doublestack is a rectangle
>>
File: RI_1.jpg (23KB, 348x450px) Image search: [Google]
RI_1.jpg
23KB, 348x450px
>>31587114
This is a double stack 10mm 1911. It holds 16+1 rounds of fuck you. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>31587263
Odd. A gentleman at my gun club won bronze for the U.S. Army pistol team using a 1911.
>>
>>31588300
This means you can expand the grip to double stack and still have it just as manageable as most doublestack 9mms: >>31588341
>>
>>31588341
Why is that the most god awful looking thing? I can't put my finger on it.
The barrel length I guess?
>>
>>31588381
It's the cheap finish of the grip and grip screws. Give that thing some nice rosewood thin-grips and polish the slide and we're in business.
>>
>>31588381
probably. It's a six inch barreled version. there are standard 5' models as well. The rail on the dust cover looks odd as well.
>>
>>31587721
>Less likey to strip the screw if you use the right size.
If you're stripping flathead screws you're probably doing something wrong.
>>
>>31587114
>redpill
You should kill yourself.

>>31587148
Hot opinions from a soon to be irrelevant part of the armed forces.

>>31587593
Yeah, honestly they're too thin for me.
>>
>>31587114
>Is the only reason to own one for the nostalgia factor? Modern pistols do everything better.
yes and yes.
>>
>>31587173
You can have nostalgia for a time you didn't experience. I love cowboy guns despite their impracticality compared to modern guns and I'm not a ranch hand.

Though I guess if you want to get really pissy, it's called anemoia, not nostalgia.Though that word is so obscure that I'm getting the red squiggle under it.
>>
>>31588428
I want that thing but it's out of stock fucking everywhere.
>>
File: 20161003_173719.jpg (496KB, 1412x1059px) Image search: [Google]
20161003_173719.jpg
496KB, 1412x1059px
>>31588341
Its sweet
>>
File: IMG_1002.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1002.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
>>31587473
Top chuckle
>>
>>31587219

i'm in the process of fitting a new grip on mine. buy MBX mags. they're expensive, but buying STI tubes then grams followers/Taran basepads/a Dawson tuning kit/Wolff springs or whatever would run you the same amount.

you really need to know the rules of the competition to pick your caliber choice correctly.

>>31588139

certainly an option. the divisions where the Tanfos/CZs dominate are ones where 2011s are not allowed, though.
>>
>>31587114
Shit guns, buy Hi Power
>>
>>31587721

i have stripped far more torx and hex (and phillips) in my life than slotted.
>>
>>31587114
>Redpill me on 1911's.
Keep your babytalk on /pol/ or /b/ no one wants to read these cringe inducing memes.
>Is the only reason to own one for the nostalgia factor? Modern pistols do everything better.
In states with magazine limits 1911s are fine because they conceal easily due to being so thin. Plus, they look sexy.
>>
>>31587114
Nice triggers
Accurate farther than most side arms
Feel awesome in the hand (personal opinion)
Have that "this is a fucking gun" presence/feel to them

Maybe good as an hd handgun or a toy, i wouldn't cc one because of size/lack of capacity
>>
>>31587721
In my experience, 1911s like to shoot their grip screws loose. You can torque down a hex or torx head screw tighter than a flathead without damaging it, so it takes longer to shoot them loose, but when they do come loose (and they will), it's a lot easier to improvise a flathead screwdriver in the field than a hex key. Especially when that improvised screwdriver can be a .45 ACP case rim.

>>31588155
>Most of the parts on a 1911 are hand fit. You can't just drop them in from one manufacturer of 1911 to the next.

That has more to do with different manufacturing dimensions and tolerances of different companies. Most 1911s aren't hand fit at all (though some of the more poorly made ones could use it *cough* Kimber *cough*)
>>
>Nice trigger
>Feel good in hand
>Enjoyable recoil characteristics make follow up shots a breeze
>Accurate

I love shooting my 1911, probably my favorite pistol to shoot honestly. I even enjoy carrying it sometimes because they are so thin.
>>
File: sputniksides.gif (3MB, 441x300px) Image search: [Google]
sputniksides.gif
3MB, 441x300px
>>31587473
>>
>>31587160

this post needs a (you)
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.