[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im looking to buy my first gun(s) /k/, I have about $1400 for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
Im looking to buy my first gun(s) /k/, I have about $1400 for guns and ammo. So should I get 1 nicer newer rifle, or 1-2 milsurps?
>>
>10/22

>Ruger American Rifle in .223

>Mossberg 500

Buy all used, save left over money.
>>
>>31585834
Agreed, except, ruger american 308
>>
>>31585834
Isn't .22 still nowhere to be found or is that over now
>>
>>31585851
Eh, honestly it's not that big a deal either way. I'm just thinking that .223 is better suited for babby's first centerfire.

If you're going .308 Howa makes a fantastic rifle/glass combo for like 800ish which isn't bad.

>>31585865
Who even fucking knows. At all the stores I go to they have it.
>>
>>31585865
You can find it but it is (compared to years back) expensive.
>>
>>31585887
>>31585851

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Howa-Hogue-Gameking-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=754538

>$599

Howas are good rifles.
>>
OP here, this isn't the first time im shooting a gun, i've gone shooting plenty, i've only recently decided to buy my own guns. And im indecisive as what to get
>>
File: Glock and AR.jpg (251KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Glock and AR.jpg
251KB, 1600x1200px
>>31585947
>And im indecisive as what to get

An AR and a handgun.
>>
File: 1445391115422.jpg (165KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1445391115422.jpg
165KB, 800x533px
>>31585947
The usual is
>A .22
>A fighting rifle in .223 or 7.62x39
>A shotgun in 12g
>A concealable pistol in your preferred caliber

I'd suggest waiting until you have more money to buy a .308 because ammo is a bit pricey and you are going to want to buy a quality rifle with quality glass. Happy buying!
>>
>>31585797
PSA AR-15
$800s in mags and ammo
>>
>>31586119
Not a fan of PSA but what this guy says. Get an ar or ak with ammo and mags for that gun. Don't listen to people saying buy a shotgun or bolt gun. If or when the awb comes, you will at least have said "weapon of war".
>>
>>31586119
You could have him build his own.

It's not hard, and he'd get a better rifle than PSA
>>
>>31586190
If building my own any recommendations?
>>
>>31585865
I can find it pretty easily, but it's about $35 a brick everywhere
>>
>>31586190
>>31586172

True, quick and dirty recommendation for a newb. PSA is decent value, but you can do better by assembling your own parts .
The spending most of it on mags and ammo is key though. I'll amend to.

Decent entry grade AR
$700-800 in mags and ammo.
>>
Also in case I come across it in my endeavours, whats the best way to clean out cosmoline?
>>
With $1400 you can grab yourself a good rifle and a good pistol. I would suggest buying both and worrying about ammo later. Magazines are a secondary concern. Use extra money to buy mags, and then ammo.
Ammo supplies are eventually replenished. Firearms could be out of stock for a longer period of time as the election heats up.

P.S. .45 and .40 are clown calibers. Buy a 9mm pistol.
>>
Get an Wasr a decent budget ar 15 and a used Glock.
>>
>>31585942
If you were not a trip. I would give you an honest answer
>>
>>31586287
Mineral spirits or hot water.
No, hot water will not damage the metal bits on your gun as long as you dry it off and oil up afterwards.
>>
>>31586287
You've got a few options

Mineral spirits are a good choice.

Cosmoline also melts. To get it out of the wood, wrap the rifle in black trashbags and leave it out in the sun. The cosmoline leaches out to the surface and can be wiped off after a few hours. Rinse and repeat.

For tight components like trigger mechanisms, a wire brush, solvents, and lots of damn time. It's a pain in the ass.

The issue is that the russians never really gave a shit about things like trigger feel or sticky bolt, so the downsides of cosmoline application weren't really in the forefront of their mind.

A better solution is buying a rifle that wasn't bathed in cosmo.
>>
>>31586315

>Abloo bloo bloo mug trapcode

How exactly are howas shit? I've only had good experiences.
>>
>>31586306
counterpoint: 9mm is like throwing marshmallows at your home invader, anything less than 45 and you might as well be wielding a dildo
>>
>>31586367
Eh, they're fine, if they're worth the small premium over Savage Axis\ Ruger American tier is debatable kind of comes down to luck of the draw between individual rifles.

Tripcodes used outside of very specific circumstances are dumb, but you're not as aggressively cancerous as most
>>
>>31586415
The FBI disagrees. Please don't confuse the newbies.
>>
It is really hard to beat a decent value AR15 these days. They're cheaper than they have ever been. A complete AR556 or M&P Sport can be had under $600, or you can build something even better for the same money. This is liable to change sonce AR15s are squarely in the sights of Hillary and Co for a permanent banning, so now is a good time to get one.

As for pistols, It's not glamorous but a Glock is the default recommendation unless you just don't like it. There are good alternatives like the Canik TP9, CZ75 (and copies/variants), Arcus 98, etc. Many good options besides, even revolvers if you prefer them. Why not?
>>
>>31585797
Milsurps are going up in value. Not as practical, but they're cool pieces of history.
>>
>>31586436

One of my good friends from basic training bought one in .308 in a hogue rubber stock with a rather nice Nikon optic. claimed he got it for $750 which is what I'd consider a solid deal

One of the more comfortable rifles I've ever shot, and <1 MOA from the box (although not as impressive in modern times) is a nice thing.

At this point I've been using this code for a while, but with varying consistency. I don't really know why I use it.
>>
>>31586515
Yeah, good rifles, but American\ Axis\ XL7 are going to be 2ish MOA reliably and often better for about half the price and Howa doesn't offer the MOA guarantee that is offered on the Weatherby Vanguards that are basically identical.
>>
>>31585947
Don't think I'm recommending the 10/22 because I assume you're a new gun owner.

.22 is so cheap that cost isn't really an obstacle to getting to the range. And fundamentals can be practiced fairly easily with one. It's a good squirrel rifle as well.

.223 and especially .308 are getting rather pricey these days (unless you only buy m193 which is shit).

>>31586436
I've got a savage axis in .223 that came with a harris bipod and Nikon glass. Great for coyotes and groundhogs.

Accurate little rifle, loves M855 (I know, 5.56 vs .223, but it fucking loves the heavier bullet)
>>
>>31586596
Honestly, at that pricerange I prefer Tikka. Haven't owned one or shot one, but that bolt is buttery smooth and sometimes I've got to live up to the family fudd appreciation for smooth actions.
>>
>>31586442
I counter the glock suggestion. Sig P320 all the way
>>
>>31586439
the FBI recommended no charges, I'm inclined to disagree with them
>>
>>31585834
Get a marlin xt-22 instead of a 10/22
>>
>>31585797
Ruger 10/22, .22 is obtainable now, if not so much as before.
Any SKS, and an entry level AR15, maybe S&W M&P 15.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.