[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished watching this film again for the nth time because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 26

File: saving private ryan.jpg (61KB, 953x540px) Image search: [Google]
saving private ryan.jpg
61KB, 953x540px
Just finished watching this film again for the nth time because it's /k/ as fuck. I was paying more attention this time to the actual tactics portrayed in the film and the beach landing just seemed to be nothing more than a desperate incohesive mess; no real tactics i.e screening of movements, supportive interlocking arcs of suppressive fire and close support naval gunfire missions. Was the real landing on Omaha beach this shitty in terms of tactics or was it a fairly robust affair? Did the Allies just not know what they were doing?
>>
>>31584458
Only the Americans fucked up.
>>
>>31584458
yup, that's what opposed invasions looked like in WW2
>>
>>31584458
That one beach the naval gunfire overshot the bunkers leaving them all intact.
>>
>>31584458

>screening of movements

Look back at the pic you posted. Now tell me how the fuck you would screen your movements in that situation

>supportive interlocking arcs of suppressive fire

Hard to do that when you're already suppressed before you even step off the landing craft.

>close support naval gunfire missions

Not easy to do once troops land, cause you might blue-on-blue

The real landing was hell but not like in SPR, because the German defenses were farther inland and not as elevated. The bunkers generally didn't have that good of view as in your pic.
>>
>>31584609
>Look back at the pic you posted. Now tell me how the fuck you would screen your movements in that situation

Screening WP projectors on the landing craft, similar to airburst WP projectors on tanks + use of infantry's screening WP smoke grenades.

>Hard to do that when you're already suppressed before you even step off the landing craft.

Suppress using M2s in gunshields mounted to the landing craft to provide a temporary base of fire to allow the infantry to advance up the beach; at least to the point the infantry can pop smoke or fire and maneuver to the emplacements.

>Not easy to do once troops land, cause you might blue-on-blue

Most definitely true in the naval sense, but CAS could still have been directed from the beachhead to targets PID'd by infantry as hostile.

Additionally, heavier landing craft should have been used to ferry a meaningful armoured force up the beach, rather than have shitty DD Shermans sink in rough seas.
>>
>>31584458
Throw enough meat into the grinder and eventually it stops.
>>
>>31584848
>Screening WP projectors on the landing craft, similar to airburst WP projectors on tanks + use of infantry's screening WP smoke grenades.

Obscuring smoke would just make things worse. It was hard enough with the bad weather and rough seas for objectives to be determined and landing craft to get where they needed to go without a big-ass cloud of smoke in the way. It also makes any accurate ship-shore bombardment almost impossible.

>Suppress using M2s in gunshields mounted to the landing craft to provide a temporary base of fire to allow the infantry to advance up the beach; at least to the point the infantry can pop smoke or fire and maneuver to the emplacements.

"Hey! Here's a great idea! Let's have our Higgins boats park at the shore-line where they're sitting ducks to artillery and lob rounds over our own troops' heads at hardened structures that they're not going to affect! There's no way that this won't clog the beach with burned landing craft hulks or cause unnecessary blue-on-blue!"

>Most definitely true in the naval sense, but CAS could still have been directed from the beachhead to targets PID'd by infantry as hostile.

With what? Mind you this is WW2. Anyone on the beach with a working radio would be lucky enough to get comms with ship-based artillery, there's no way they could accurately direct CAS from the beach.

Things are not always like they are in video games, where there are waist-high walls everyone and there's always one perfect strategy. Sometimes you have to throw men into the meatgrinder until it clogs up, D-Day was one of those times.
>>
>>31584848

Good points, except it's hard to adequately conceal large scale movement/a entire beach with smoke, although it's worth a try, it would be hard for guy on the beach to PID anything much less radio in exact grids for CAS, and it doesn;t matter how heavy an LCT is, it couldn't deploy their tanks closer for the risk of beaching themselves, especially since the attack was at low tide.
>>
File: Severloh_Stellung.jpg (102KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Severloh_Stellung.jpg
102KB, 1024x768px
>>31584609
>The real landing was hell but not like in SPR, because the German defenses were farther inland and not as elevated. The bunkers generally didn't have that good of view as in your pic.

This is the view of Omaha Beach from Heinrich Severloh's foxhole, he claimed to have inflicted 2,000 American casualties during the landing.
>>
>>31586391

Maybe he was that close, but since total casualties on Omaha numbered around 2,000, that claim is bullshit.
>>
>>31586391
>>31587042
If every german along the beach was also firing at the same time, how could he tell that he was the one who caused that casualty?
>>
>>31584473
Shhh , don't tell them about Dieppe where the main force of British and Canadians were decimated on the beach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid
>>
>>31587042
He was that one fucker who always came out of nowhere in Medal of Honor and shot you just before you picked up health.
>>
>>31586391
American perspective.

>>31587042
Total casualties on Omaha were over 3,000. Severloh's claims were probably exaggerated, but with a MG42 in that position he probably did shot a lot of Americans.
>>
>>31586391

My first patient in clinicals was an Army vet who landed on that beach.
>>
>>31587110
I don't know if this applies but have you ever hunted waterfowl from a blind? When you and a few of your buddies start shooting at a mess of targets, everybody claims downed birds as their own.
>>
>>31584458
Read 'D-Day' by Ambrose. Omaha was a huge clusterfuck and a miracle that it still worked out although so many ppl fucked up.
>>
>>31584458
>pouring 8mm into a human wall for hours
>the beach only fell because they ran out of ammo and burned out all their barrels
34s instead of 42s would have allowed them to hold off the invasion for much longer.
>>
>>31584458
Step one: win the fire fight (ie. gain fire superiority ie. """suppression""")

If you cant complete step one, and you're on a beach, your options are fairly limited.
>>
>>31584458
This movie gave me idea about the Free French if anyone is interested
>>
>>31584458

>it portrays the worst sector on the worst beach on D-day. Yes it was bad

Honestly they had to walk along farther.
>>
>>31587342
I'd say it does. If I was in his position, I'd start claiming every body I see drop as mine. If I could have shot it, I did shoot it.
>>
The fakes ww2 movie ever.
It's such trash. Not even bait.
>>
>>31584458
The majority of casualties where from artillery.
>>
>>31584458
Legit question, were ballistic shields not a thing?

Wouldn't a hunk of steel be adequate to stop most rounds?

They should have brought back the turtle.
>>
>>31587982
Weight.
>>
>>31587982

No, but pre-sighted mortars and artillery were certainly a thing, which may be a clue as to why staying on the beach -- even behind cover from the front -- was a bad idea.
>>
>>31587982
What are mortars?
>>
>>31588028
>mortars
>>31588026
>pre-sighted mortars and artillery
Fair enough, still...running with a shield up might let you survive to get out of the mortar zone at water's edge.

>>31588022
>Weight
You don't have to carry it more than 150m.
>>
>>31587982
spot the 12 year old
>>
>>31587982
Mortars and 88s are a real good reason.
>>
The Tide was further out in real life
>>
Not when there's only a handful of machineguns and the rest of the fire is coming from bolt action rifles.

It's different now when every weapon is spraying automatic fire, but the German infantry couldn't cover the entire beach with suppressing fire
>>
Read about A 116. The movie is fairly accurate in the sense that a group of rangers did land there(ish). Reality is that Dog Green and Charlie at the opposite ends were totally fucked. The actual rangers I believe landed a little to the left of Dog Green and only actually made it onto the beach due to smoke and other factors obscuring the view of the Germans. A number of other boats landing near the center had the same luck. If you landed in Dog Green as A 116 you are almost guaranteed to have drowned, as most men there did. A 116 was basically decimated by 0645, after landing at 0636. As I said, the majority of them drowned. Many were wounded, couldn't move, and drowned as the tide came in. B 116 didn't fair much better. The group of rangers and some parts of B and a handful of A men did actually fight up the bluffs. But again most of A, and I mean most, were dead by 7am
>>
>>31587181
>main force of British and Canadians
It was a raid, two years before the D Day landings.

Gold, Sword, and Juno were the British and Canadian beaches
>>
>>31588307
Juno was no picknic either. By comparison, Gold, Sword and Utah were cake walks.
>>
>>31587982
Guys were already drowning from their gear, adding a 50lbs steel shield to that mess would have just ensured more people would have died from drowning.
>>
File: 4658886767.jpg (882KB, 2700x2020px) Image search: [Google]
4658886767.jpg
882KB, 2700x2020px
>>31587982
>And the Germans will be like "bang! bang! bang!", and the bullets will be like "ka-ching! ka-ching!" bouncing off our shields! We'll be unstoppable!
>>
Why didn't they use more smoke screens?
>>
>>31588616
Blindly charging into barbed-wire doesn't sound like a good plan either.
>>
>>31588307
One not led by Americans, one that was a complete disaster, one where they could not get off the beach.
>>
>>31588041
you're retarded
>>
>>31584458
I heard they had planned to land right on the beach but then they hit sandbars so they had to get out and walk through water. This destroyed all their radios. The ships were given the order not so shoot until they had heard targets called over the radio. Because the radios were now filled with sea water they never heard that order. Eventually the ships decided fuck it too many men are dying and practically ran themselves ashore so they could start acquiring targets by sight, picking up bunkers by looking for muzzle flash.

That's just what I heard from a coworker though.
>>
>>31588065
>have to wade through 50 meters of water
>its ice cold and waist deep with a rough current
>carrying 50 to 60 pounds of gear
>no cover on the beach, gotta make it another couple hundred meters to make it to the bluffs

What a fucking nightmare
>>
>>31584458

>He thinks there was/is somehow a way to make a beach landing as something that isn't a frontal assault

Look at him and laugh
>>
>>31589155
>practically ran themselves ashore so they could start acquiring targets by sight, picking up bunkers by looking for muzzle flash.

Holy fucking fuddlore-tier military history
>>
>>31591217
the sandbar bit is wrong but didnt a couple of destroyers get waaayy to close to point du hoc to try and help the infantry there that were getting btfod
>>
>>31587042
Well I would think he probably shot 100 guys. 2000 is ludicrous but I'm sure from his pov it seemed like that many. I know in games I felt like a murderous kill machine and checked to find out it was like 5 guys. Real life much more stressful.
>>
>>31588041
>You don't have to carry it more than 150m.
steel doesn't grow on fucking trees, you fucktard. And especially not during war
>>
I wish a new dday movir would come out because the historical innacracies in thr german defences in spr are criminally wrong.
>>
>>31586391
I laid in that position when I was on holiday there. It's got an incredible field of fire. But his claims are impossible.
>>
>>31591330
Like what? I've been at omaha beach and while it is true that in SPR the Defenses are way to close to the sealine, the bunker setup looked accurate. What do you think could be better.

I'm hoping someone makes a horror movie centered on WWI trench warfare.
>>
>>31591247
They did and a beached destroyer was the only ship that managed to knock out a German concrete bunker with shell fire.

If you ever go to omaha and see WD60 (iirc) and look down the entire omaha beach you'll be flabbergasted that 400 Germans manages to hold any Americans off for any length of time. It's a stupendously long beach
>>
>>31591330
I want more hyper realistic general WWI and WWII Eastern Front movies.

That'd be dank as fuck.
>>
>>31591360
The huge elevated bunkers are wrong. All of the bunkers at omaha are enfilading.

There was a stone shingle

There was occupied houses on the beach between the hills and the beach.

The Germans had several 50mm pieces and tobruk bunkers as the primary components of wiederstandnest defences
>>
>>31591148
>70 years later your grandchildren idolize Nazis on a Mongolian shadow puppets image board
What a fucking nightmare, indeed.
>>
>>31591432
>There was occupied houses on the beach between the hills and the beach.
Really? Never heard of that. Troops in them?

If they're making another one, something like this OH SHIT moment should be in there. Like this, from about 3:50

https://youtu.be/PMoNSFmACWI?list=PLwqzSx8Fd25LGMwwVKagqpPU5DOe-V4u1
>>
>>31591533
Iirc... There were houses between the shingle and the hills around wiederstandnests 68-70 though I think they were used as barracks and unoccupied during the actual invasion.

I hope I'm remembering right and not mixing up beaches

The first break through happens at wn60 on the extreme east of omaha iirc.
>>
File: Omaha_Beach_-_WN_60_13.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Omaha_Beach_-_WN_60_13.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
This is the view from the eastern most point of omaha wn60. This area was defended by about 400 Germans at the start of the invasion.
>>
>>31591705
I swear you're thinking of Juno or Sword.
>>
>>31584473
That's more or less because we couldn't land our tanks. Had we used the British design, I'd imagine the battle would have went much like how it did for the Brits and Canadians.

Now had the British landed on Omaha with no armor, it would be a repeat of what happened to the Americans, more or less.

It boils down to, we fucked up with trying to land our own armor on the beach.
>>
File: weapon_to_surpass.jpg (137KB, 430x552px) Image search: [Google]
weapon_to_surpass.jpg
137KB, 430x552px
>>31587982
why use shields when you can turn your men into land torpedo
>>
>>31587401
>human wall
>for hours

Have you ever actually looked into Omaha?

It wasn't just a constant wall of bodies. Most troops crawled cross the beach, which according to different reports, took some guys a matter of minutes or hours for others. Eventually most were pinned down at the sea wall for hours, rather than out on the open beach.
>>
Why didn't D-Day occur on unprotected beaches? Surely there must have been more beach than the germans had men, surely there must be more beaches there than just the ones where they landed?
>>
>>31588972
Which is why d day happend differently and why the brits and Canadians were more successful the 2nd time.
>>
>>31588041
Crossing 150m while under extremly heavy fire can take hours, bud. Now imagine dragging a shield weighing just as much, if not more than you for hours.
>>
File: JPBest.jpg (142KB, 889x328px) Image search: [Google]
JPBest.jpg
142KB, 889x328px
>>31584848

Why are you such a smart ass?

Don't you think they thought of every possible situation that could happen in an assault?

Do you think Germans were fucking idiots who could not counter some very obvious if-then-types of attacks from Americans?

It always amazes me how there's THAT GUY who goes "wow, it's so simple, why didn't they just..." in any kind of situation - you know, the type who never thinks "maybe they thought of this but somehow it failed". So short sighted.
>>
>>31592128
overlord was more or less the least protected that was viable for the allies needs. hitlers atlantic wall was pretty solid overall
>>
>>31592128
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Wall

Most places where you would want to land had at least some kind of defenses.
>>
>>31592128
Well all beaches were defended to some extent also it's not like any old beach would do. There's not many with conditions suitable for the largest invasion of all time.

Look at the Dieppe raid for an example of small oversights. The shingle beaches bogged down all the vehicles fucked the British even more than any German defences could have.
>>
File: tumblr_mdamqyQ1671r522svo1_500.jpg (32KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdamqyQ1671r522svo1_500.jpg
32KB, 500x347px
>>31588604

>and the shield, the shield would be THIS BIG and there's BULLETS bouncing off it and our shield boys charging forward, BOY what a sight it would be, germans shitting their pants just by seeing our shield and...
>>
File: italian-trench-shield.jpg (172KB, 800x495px) Image search: [Google]
italian-trench-shield.jpg
172KB, 800x495px
>>31587982
>Legit question, were ballistic shields not a thing?

They were in WWI, when ~80% of all casualties were fragmentary.
>>
File: Daigre-Shield.jpg (120KB, 1049x756px) Image search: [Google]
Daigre-Shield.jpg
120KB, 1049x756px
>>31592275

Pretty effective against the shrapnel shells of WWI. The high-explosive shells of WWII were a different matter.

WWI artillery was essentially flak at ground level.
>>
>>31592067
>race forward 15 meters
>bog down in the mud
>jump out and push
>nosedive into a shellhole
>>
>>31592128

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon
>>
>>31592275
>They were in WWI, when ~80% of all casualties were fragmentary.

isn't that still the case?
>>
>>31591705
>>31591788

This what youre talking about? @ 16:45

https://youtu.be/LcggNe-SEXU?t=1005
>>
>>31592128
Normandy was the lightest defended stretch of beach on the whole channel coast
>>
>>31592518

Yeah but HE shells don't just kill with shrapnel but also blast/shock.
>>
>>31588972

>One not led by Americans

The whole reason Overlord DID prepare so well was because the Dieppe Raid was the harsh experience that taught the British how to prepare better next time. No-one at the time really knew a whole ton about it. It was basically their Kasserine Pass moment. After then, they went 200% combat engineering and never looked back.

Lacking that equipment on the beach to deploy and support armor was the reason why the Americans had such a hard time at Omaha.
>>
I mean, there's a lot to consider. It was basically a massive zerg rush with machine guns already mounted and firing. They had pretty much just a sandbank for over, which was lined with landmines and was hit constantly with artillery. Once they were over that it was pretty much a battle directly uphill facing pillboxes and bunkers.
I took a trip to Normandy a couple years ago and it was insane to see. You really don't understand the magnitude of it all until you see it in person.
>>
>>31587181
>Which happened while Americans were still comfortably out of the war and engaging in war profiteering.

>Meanwhile every Canadian soldier was a volunteer.

Can the US say the same about its WWII soldiers?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (31KB, 354x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
31KB, 354x200px
>>31592067
>those tiny wheels
>>
>>31592661
That means fuckall.
>>
>>31592153
Clearly in military confrontations mistakes will always be made; I would have thought this was obvious tbhfam. Hence why militaries often have watershed moments after poorly planned ops such as the Dieppe raid; they adapt their tactics to prevent the same mistakes next time it happens.

Thank you very much for pic unrelated though, here's your (you).

Try harder next time.
>>
>>31592815

>Fuckall

>Hundreds of thousands of brave Canadians every man willingly fighting for King and Country

>Americans get called on their profiteering with embarrassing military disaster. Come to aid of Europe not because of any connection to the Empire they betrayed, but because of (((International Banking Interests))) with hundreds of thousands of unwilling conscripts to die for the Jew.

Whatever you say buddy.
>>
>>31591490
Underrated
>>
>>31592067
>not having silver tampon infantry charges
I'm living in the wrong timeline
>>
>>31591148

Tbh the cold water was probably the last thing on their minds
>>
>>31594247

Wew lad
>>
>>31587042
>>31587110
>>31586391

Severloh's machine gun nest was the only one in that entire stretch of beach. It was also positioned in a draw that was one of the only ways off Omaha beach. It's not like there was a World War One style trench with Germans packed in waiting for the landing.

I get that it sounds unlikely, but once you actually go there and check out the geography, it's entirely plausible.
>>
>>31594401
Highly doubt it.

Cold water immersion shock is totally overwhelming and makes it really hard to concentrate on other stuff. Probably would have taken their minds off the enemy rooty tooty point-n-shootys for a bit though.
>>
>>31592067
>dark as shit
>pumping my boots hard as I can to push this heavy fucking thing through the mud on it teeny tiny wheels
>can't see my buddies or the seargent or anything else
>suddenly the nose drops as I fall in the trench
>my face is smushed into the smallest part of this goddamn thing by the weight of my entire body and kit.
>hear the germans laughing hysterically as they watch my legs kick in the air
>given a coup de grace through my taint, pelvis, and ribcage into my head
>>
>>31597007
Hahah. I think the Germans wouldn't be that cruel to shoot the dildotruppen in the ass after such a comically display.
>>
File: e90.gif (729KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
e90.gif
729KB, 165x115px
>>31597007
R.I.P. Private Anon.

That's no way for a man to die.
>>
>>31592067
Pretty much fighting your way forward in a wheeled metal penis complete with bellend to fire from.
>>
One thing I did not understand is why the boats opened from the front

Shouldn't it open to the sides or put the driver on the front with the hardest steel and windows at that time like the AAVs we have now?
>>
>>31597964
They did use Landing Craft like what you described. The Higgins was just plentiful and easy to replace, hence why they were used so much.
>>
>>31597964
>>
>>31592023
OP's image shows lots of tank stoppers, though.
>>
>>31594246
Fuck youre a cunt
not just a stupid one, but also a smug one.

You're defending your ego against strangers on an estonian frog-breeding forum.
Youre pathetic
>>
>>31600312
were there any US marine unit fighting in europe or africa?
>>
>>31600947
Negatory
>>
Why didn't they just land somewhere else and take the beach from behind?
>>
File: Atlantikwall_02.983554_std.gif (27KB, 612x804px) Image search: [Google]
Atlantikwall_02.983554_std.gif
27KB, 612x804px
>>31601009
>Why didn't they just land somewhere else
pic related
>and take the beach from behind?
that's kindof what the paratroopers did
>>
File: 1516468532.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1516468532.png
214KB, 400x399px
>>31601009
>>31597964
>>31592128
>>31588616
>>31587982
>>
>>31587982
>8mm mauser
>giving a fuck about shields
lel
>>
>>31601036
What am I supposed to make of this? Did Ireland do anything in the war? Was the South East part of Britain extremely fortified?
>>
>>31592128
Normandy was unprotected relative to Calais
>>
>>31601100
Yeah but the beach landing was still a massacre.

They could have landed some frogmen with mortars a couple miles up/down from the beach to soften up the defenses. Maybe give them smoke mortars to screen the landing.
>>
File: 1471938313005-x.jpg (146KB, 440x457px) Image search: [Google]
1471938313005-x.jpg
146KB, 440x457px
>>31600365
Well do you see any tanks?
Looks like the tank stoppers worked then, didn't they.
>>
>>31601085
>What am I supposed to make of this?
There was no "good " place to land.
>Did Ireland do anything in the war?
They were neutral.
>Was the South East part of Britain extremely fortified?
There were fortifications, tank traps, pillboxes, etc. But by this point in the war the Allies had sea and air superiority.
>>
>>31601108
>land frogmen with mortars
>if they don't drown in heavy channel seas
>can't drop mortars at night cause lol 44'
>thinking the amount of muntions a man can swim in and sneak around with will do anything to a harden concrete bunker and dug in positions.
>>
why not just beach a Iowa class battleship on shore?
>>
>>3160115
old admirals value their capital ships more than the lives of a couple thousand infantrymen
>>
>>31601147
>They were neutral.

Those mother FUCKERS. Did they really think they wouldn't be next if Britain fell? What a bunch of bastards.
>>
>>31584458
it was worse
> rocket arty barrage lands 1 km behind intended targets
> aviation claims they destroyed gun emplacements which actually had to be silenced later with naval gunfire or by actually walking up to them and planting satchel charges
> navy guys in charge of landing ships take one look at the arrayed obstacles and the defenders volume of fire and decide, individually but in concert, that LOLNOPE YOU'RE SWIMMING TO SHORE
> tanks and engineering vehicles somehow got lost in the excitement
about the only thing that worked as designed was the paratroop landing, but that put them in deep shit, as the beach dudes could not reach inland soon enough
>>
>>31601150
They would obviously land with zodiacs on the rocks. I know mortars are heavy, so they'd need to be big guys. One would carry the mortar, two others carry a box of mortar rounds.
>>
>>31601155
because artillery and anti-tank guns
>>
>>31601177
>regularly mistreated by the English for centuries
>expecting Ireland to eagerly offer help
>>
>>31601209
>Implying the English weren't good sports to them.

And the Nazis were exterminating all non blonde people. Ireland would have been gassed if Britain had lost because the Irish are all gingers.
>>
>>31601177

It was only crafty Allied posturing that kept them from going full Nazi.

The Germans were in talks with them, in return for helping the Nazis they'd get N. Ireland back.

When the talks failed due to the solemn promise to go full Oliver Cromwell on those fucks, the Germans attempted to stage a fascist coup.
>>
>>31601108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0pN8RZ5o2o
>>
>>31592128
Honestly, go read the Operation Overlord articles on Wikipedia. Planning was ridiculous. They even did a sneaky beaky night time frogman op to collect soil samples from the beaches.
>>
>>31601275
Well shit. I didn't know SEALs were a thing back then.
>>
>>31601307
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cKvC8kDVH0
>>
>>31601234

Great banter, but ireland would've been fine. Potatoniggers are worthless though, im sure the germans would have left them to rot or built roads for them at least.
>>
>>31601354
This is right. Zee Notsees were really only interested in exterminating the juice and any inferior races in the places good Germans wanted to live. The national socialists probably would have slowly expanded as they needed more resources which would mean final solutioning the resident untermenschen; so unless some valuable resource was discovered in Eire, the Germs would be content to let them starve and kill each other off in sectarian violence. If the Germans won World War part deux, Ireland would be that timeline's Syria with the US bringing SAM sites there to goad Germany into a war that would result in either nuclear Armageddon or the US getting stomped over some religious nuts.
>>
>>31588873
Who said anything about charging? Keep launching smoke grenades and advance at moderate pace.
>>
>>31601937
>pre-sighted artillery
>advance at moderate pace
>>
>>31584458
>shitty in terms of tactics
How else would you do it?
>>
>>31601147
AXIS POWER LANA!
>>
>>31584458
This is a seriously fucking awesome thing about that movie. You know those German soldiers who are surrendering after Omaha Beach is taken? They're not German. In the foreign language they're speaking, they're saying they're Czech, that they don't want to be there, that they're being forced to fight. THERE'S NO SUBTITLES! I've seen the movie so many damn times yet only found out about this aspect recently!

"Look, I washed my hands for Supper! Hahaha!"

Pretty tragic, knowing that those weren't German soldiers who were surrendering and got murdered...
>>
>>31587181
Eek. I guess this was a training day for the real thing. Too bad training day in war ends so shittily for so many men
>>
>>31602335
>Pretty tragic, knowing that those weren't German soldiers who were surrendering and got murdered...

It's WAR nigga, it's either them or your life
>>
>>31602427
>Surrendering
>Them or your life
Pick one.
>>
>>31602427
Not really, taking POWs is a thing that has happened throughout history
>>
>>31587982
>>31584458

Could the airforce have dropped some hunks of metal or something from the sky? Or could they have built the frame of a battleship or something and just rammed it full speed into the beach to act as cover/ a clusterfuck situation
>>
>>31602427
They could've been Germans who were fluent in Czech.
>>
>>31602444
what you mean, like, for troops to take cover behind?
aahahahahahahahahahahahha
>>
>>31602198
Ok then charge. You can still see at short distances through smoke.

>Charge through smoke
>See obstacle/barbed wire 4 meter in front of you
>Stop and change course

Problem solved
>>
>>31602468
That's what they did.
>>
>>31602462
Care to explain whats wrong with his idea?
>>
>>31602478
They obviously did not use enough smoke
>>
>>31591148
Ice cold water, in June in Northern France?

Are you on the glue again?
>>
>>31602462
>>31602444

Now that I think about it, the planes dropping metal is retarded, why don't they just drop bombs?

Did they shell the beach before hand to make foxholes?

>what you mean, like, for troops to take cover behind?

Or you know, walk through the ship after getting on at the back. Like specifically design the ship to become a fucking hallway after it lands. The only problems I can think of would be: Who gets it (which beach), wasting a ship frame and if the Germans tried to take it over. But I suppose anything beats staring down an emplaced machine gun with nothing but your cock and a rifle
>>
>>31602481
care to explain why you're hanging out on an 18+ website instead of doing your homework?
>>
>>31602449
Spielberg didn't put them in for that; conscription of able-bodied men of foreign countries was a thing in the Third Reich.
>>
>>31591490
Severely underrated.
>>
>>31602590
There were literally milllions of "Germans" living in Czech lands who collaborated willingly with Germans in both Czechia or in Poland where they were relocated and allowed to dispossess the natives in the effort to Germanize conquered lands.
>>
>>31591490

>70 years later your grandchildren give away everything you fought for to "immigrants" because they have no idea what did you have to endure for it

Indeed, the deepest of nightmares.
>>
File: Zt3qi.jpg (628KB, 1276x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Zt3qi.jpg
628KB, 1276x1080px
>>31587982
>>31588616
>>31592128
>>31597964
>>31601009
>>31601108
>>31602444

To sum up what we've learnt in this thread:

1. They should've landed at an undefended beach, and then attack the defenses from behind.

2. Frogmen in zodiacs with mortar should've landed first.

3. they should've blanketed the beach in smoke, an enormous amount of smoke.

4. They should've crashed a frigate onto the shore.

5. They should've used amphibious assault vehicles.

6. Each soldier should've carried ballistic shields.

7. They should've dropped giant pieces of metal from planes so that the soldiers have some cover to hide behind.

It's surprising that D-Day was as successful as it was considering all of the obvious mistakes they made in the execution of it.
>>
>>31592661
>>31594247
cry more, baby. it was your war, you ungrateful cunts.
>>
>>31584473
Only the Americans had a hard target beach. Meanwhile Caen on the first day never happened courtesy of superior British leadership and fighting ability.
>>
>>31603393
>Juno Beach
>Not hard
Pick one. Canadian Armed Forces just made it LOOK easy. Superior training than Yank Army.
>>
>>31603880
lol

of course a walkover looks hard when you leave it to the Canadian Army
>>
>>31603393

>Americans got bogged down in the hedgerow siege, taking months to take over a small patch of irrelevant country villages.

>The British faced an SS Panzer division that refused to give up the city.
>>
>>31603880
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>31602493
the water certainly wasn't warm. Prob about 40-50 degrees
>>
>>31588604
>>31592222

>>Admiral McDonald

I... don't understand what's happening here.

>>General Ryan

This is OK, it's my own fault for expecting more.

>>Gen Kelsey

This is bull, but the kid's got the cojones to stand up and say it so I'll respect him for that.

>>Admiral Watkins

Is it Wednesday today?

>>General Gorman

Pffffffttttt...

>>General Davis

Damn, I hope my batman remembered to turn the iron off at the wall.

>>Lt. Gen. Kingston

Son, I got a telegram earlier this morning telling me my nephew got blown up by some fuzzy-wuzzy who couldn't tell Allah from a goat's asshole. Now you bring me this.

>>General Vessey

Oh boy, I haven't demoted anyone in ages, this is gonna be a hoot.

>>General Wakeham

BEST. IDEA. EVER. I'll order 100,000.

>>General Borman

Fascinating. I've never before seen a man die in front of me, yet keep on talking,

>>General Whiting

This has got to be a decoy. The revolution is on. The city outside must be burning as he speaks. I need to be ready to jump for when the machine guns start firing through the window.

>>General Jenkins

Thank you. I practised my one-raised-eyebrow in front of the mirror for six hours just for days like this.

>>Major General Harman

I wanted to be an architect. I wanted to build bridges, and cathedrals, and skyscrapers. But Dad was the big damn 'Nam air ace hero. And so here I am. Listening to this.

>>Admiral Smith

It begins.
>>
>>31592128

They were relaitvely unprotected. The Allies luanched a misidrection campaign to make the Germans think the landings would be at Calais.
>>
>>31592661
>>31594247
Almost all combat soldiers were volunteers. Draftees generally ran logistics or supporting elements of the military.
>>
>>31586391
Wow
>>
>>31604358
>bogged down in the hedgerow siege, taking months to take over a small patch of irrelevant country
It's a pretty big deal if you can't effectively move supplies around.
>>
File: 1475195317392.jpg (44KB, 679x314px) Image search: [Google]
1475195317392.jpg
44KB, 679x314px
>>31584871
Ugh... That analogy made me feel a little sick thinking about it in terms of us soldiers
>>
>>31584871
Captain Zapp Brannigan at your service
>>
>>31584458
Study your fucking battle drills civie. That beginning scene goes over several key drills that every infantry man knows e.g. Enter/clear a trench, knock out a bunker, react to fire, conduct initial breach of a mine obstacle, platoon/squad attack...I'm so fucking fed up with all you key board/sofa warriors not knowing shit. That first scene gives every infantry dude out there a fucking hard on if you actually know what the fuck is going on...new fag.
>>
>>31587280
Underrated post
>>
>>31592222
Fuck you for making me read your post in Buck Turgidson's voice.
>>
>>31601177
From what I understand, while Ireland was neutral, it had prepared to some extent invasions from both Axis and Allies.
They'd have not benefited from joining either, especially since they'd only been independent from the UK for a few years.

In hindsight it might seem weird, but how they reacted was pretty sensible for the time.
>>
>>31601009
>Why didn't they just land somewhere else and take the beach from behind?

Like Italy?
>>
>>31594247

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/10/22/the_americans_who_died_for_canada_in_wwii.html

Americans joined WITH the Canadians by sneaking soldiers into their units far before the official declaration. We had your backs from the beginning Maple Boy, and don't you forget it.
>>
>>31603119
Jesus christ I'm dying from laughter
>>
Quality thread.

Good work /k/
>>
>>31607380
Pretty much. US didn't overly rely on training. Not to the minimalist extent of the USSR, but I think it's safe to say that they received less training than other superpower nations like Nazi Germany, UK, Canada, or Australia. I don't know about the US Army, but I believe the Marines also have a position of quantity over quality to an extent. Again, not to the degree of WWII era USSR, but certainly not as much emphasis as most other developed nations on the planet. More emphasis on equipment rather than efficiently USING said equipment.

Kind of like the American Revolutionary War and War of 1812. More American deaths than British deaths on both occasions. Just keep throwing troops at them, don't waste too much time with training, and eventually the meat grinder stops.
>>
>>31613103
>citation
>mother
>fucking
>needed
>>
>>31602504
Not an argument
>>
>>31613125
Hardest beaches of Operation Overlord to capture:
>Omaha
American beach, complete shit-show in spite of having more semi-autos and probably more SMGs/LMGs
>Juno
Canada beach, taken more quickly than any other beach in spite of Canadians arriving last and yet still getting FAR fewer casualties than Omaha beach

Something doesn't seem right there, and historians largely contribute the incredible success of Juno beach to superior training. Then there was WWI where the US only showed up at the end and didn't really contribute much to the fighting. Finally, there's the Afghan and Iraq wars where most casualties for Nato are BY FAR Americans (more than all other Nato nations combined, I'm willing to wager), and as mentioned more American deaths than British in the American Revolutionary War and War of 1812... yeah Americans killed more Vietnamese (not necessarily just North Vietnamese and Vietcong, though...) in the Vietnam War, but they still suffered LOADS of losses in spite of being technologically superior in most if not all ways to the Vietcong.

So yeah, I don't see America having much emphasis on training. They don't tell their troops to just run at the enemy until their guts jam the enemy's bullets like the Russians of WWII, but compared to developed nations today and in history, they do seem to rely more on numbers (and sometimes technology) than on training.

As for a citation, I got fuck all, just my basic understanding of American Military history. I hear they did not bad during the Korean War though, but I can't guarantee that. I know dick-all about American involvement in Korea, so I'm probably about on par with most Americans in that regard.
>>
>>31613182
Using Iraq and Afghanistan to compare US losses to anyone else and then try to judge training levels from is retarded, the US had vastly more troops involved than anyone else and did the overwhelming majority of the actual fighting in both cases. It's no surprise the US (and Britain, but to a lesser extent due to much lower troop numbers committed) took the bulk of casualties when pretty much all anyone else did was chill out in the sun and worry about this thing called 'fighting' they heard about happening in other places.
>>
>>31592067
>Teilsoldaten
>Dildotruppen
>Tommywurst
>Schlongmann
>>
>>31613182
>. Finally, there's the Afghan and Iraq wars where most casualties for Nato are BY FAR Americans
The US had 150,000 troops in Iraq, second highest amount was Britain with 45,000 and third was Australia with 2,000. Australia isn't even in NATO. Of course US casualties will outnumber all others.
>>
>>31613207
>>31613275
I knew it was a good idea to leave that obvious low-hanging fruit in there.
>>
>>31613320
You're welcome for the (you)
>>
>>31613182
wasn't juno beach defended by mostly non-german conscripts, and not nearly as well supplied, or fortified?
>>
File: juno1.jpg (271KB, 1200x892px) Image search: [Google]
juno1.jpg
271KB, 1200x892px
>>31613332
>>
File: juno2.jpg (2MB, 3276x2480px) Image search: [Google]
juno2.jpg
2MB, 3276x2480px
>>31613412
>>
>>31613182
>They don't tell their troops to just run at the enemy until their guts jam the enemy's bullets like the Russians of WWII,
>muh russian human waves meme
>>
File: 1421366712437.gif (665KB, 220x238px) Image search: [Google]
1421366712437.gif
665KB, 220x238px
>>31584458
I really enjoyed this movie because of the visceral battle scenes, are there any other k movies like that? I remember another good movie like that, korean war movie tae guk gi was the name i think.
>>
>>31584848
>Suppress using M2s in gunshields mounted to the landing craft to provide a temporary base of fire to allow the infantry to advance up the beach;
They did that The Pacific during the Landing on Pelileu(?) scene.
>>
>>31608272
Stole my joke.
>>
>>31591360
>I'm hoping someone makes a horror movie centered on WWI trench warfare.

Deathwatch
>>
You guys need to watch Jadotville
Just finished watching it, fucking glorious film.
>>
>>31587892
t. Eurocuck mad America gets all the glory
>>
>>31591407

"Generation War/Our Mothers, Our Fathers" is a German language miniseries about the eastern front.
>>
File: 1395078932343.jpg (357KB, 676x800px) Image search: [Google]
1395078932343.jpg
357KB, 676x800px
>>31584458
I wonder why they didnt bomb the shit out of the beach with smoke? you could move up relatively safely then
>>
>>31603119
I'd like to watch this movie.
>>
>>31604599
You got dubs, responded to quads and clearly put some time into this... but it just wasn't funny.
>>
>>31584458
No matter what could have been done differently to ease the thousands of soldiers being gunned down on the beach, remember those who suffer most from wars are the mothers, sisters and wives back home.
>>
>>31616899
You didn't read the thread, did you?
>>
>>31616995
GTFO of this thread Hillary, you fucking cunt whore.
>>
>>31616995
It pains me that, in all likelihood, ALL third-wave feminists would agree to that...
>>
>>31602809
Literally the sole reason why I wish the Germans had won. Patton was right. We fought the wrong enemy.
>>
>>31602493
Damn right, I was in north western france in july a couple of years back and i came out of the water fucking blue.

South is a whole different deal.
>>
>>31602607
Well yes but a majority of German troops at Normandy initially were conscripts and volunteers from the East untrusted to actually fight in the East.
One of the reasons Omaha was so tough was that it was the one beach where a majority of its troops were Germans. Not only Germans, but extremely battle hardened German panzergrenadiers on leave from the East for rest and resupply.
>>
>>31613182
Juno was a much better beach for landing tanks. And the Canadians did. Lots of them. Including a large number of Hobart's Funnies - bridge layers, flame tanks, demolition gun carriers, faggot carriers ( one such tank took out an AT gun by dumping it's load onto it, but they were used to fill anti tank ditches) That's how they cleared the defences so quickly, despite there being more of them.

On Omaha, they decided the beach was too small for armour to be useful, so stuck with more Infantry and a heavier bombardment. Which missed. The assault only managed to make headway hours after the first landing, when some of the destroyer escort raced in and started putting 5 inch shells onto whatever shot at them, which took out enough bunkers to let the Americans push up the cliffs.
>>
>>31613103
>superpower
>Canada
> Australia
>>
>>31603880
>Canadians are this desperate to seem relevant

Aww poor fella
>>
>>31603119
underrated post
Thread posts: 209
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.